Menu

One year sweep through history program?

Im looking for a one year sweep through history program, or outline that I can use with my 7th and 6th grader. I was considering TGATB but havent seen it in person and am not sure it will fit easily into our daily routine. We have Sonlight core C+D and could use that again, or could go with the older level that also combines this. Not wanting to spend that much though. I have a lot of resources at home and dont really have the energy to piece together a history program.  I wanted to maybe do 2 sweeps, one this year and one the next year. I like the idea of TGATB but I think it may have too many moving parts to be done as a morning time subject. I have all through the ages and was considering just having the kids read some books I select and write a small one page essay on it, then throw in some map work. Is there a program that will do what im wanting? I was also thinking I could have them read through the Christine Miller history series, or the Genevieve Foster books and do some writing afterwards or just notebook. Any thoughts?

Can you recommend any good timeline books? Not ones you fill in, we have several empty ones here, but a printed one like the DK or USborne books.

texts
Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World all in one year ??
- K12 Human Odyssey -- vol 1 (ancients -1400) this year + vol 2  (1400-present) next year ??
- Story of the World vol 1 (ancients) + vol 2 (medieval)  this year, and vol. 3 (early modern) + vol 4 (modern) next year?

timeline books
- Smithsonian Timelines of History ?? or History Year by Year ??
Timetables of History (Grun) ??

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I've also been looking into this for my 7th grader next fall.  The two that I have found interesting were:

1. Veritas Press Transition History Course

2. Notgrass From Adam to Us

I have decided to choose Notgrass.  They both look like wonderful programs.  I think my daughter would enjoy the Notgrass more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

texts
Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World all in one year ??
- K12 Human Odyssey -- vol 1 (ancients -1400) this year + vol 2  (1400-present) next year ??
- Story of the World vol 1 (ancients) + vol 2 (medieval)  this year, and vol. 3 (early modern) + vol 4 (modern) next year?

timeline books
- Smithsonian Timelines of History ?? or History Year by Year ??
Timetables of History (Grun) ??

Ive never heard of the Timestables of History book or Human Odyssey before! Thank you for the recommendations!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

I've also been looking into this for my 7th grader next fall.  The two that I have found interesting were:

1. Veritas Press Transition History Course

2. Notgrass From Adam to Us

I have decided to choose Notgrass.  They both look like wonderful programs.  I think my daughter would enjoy the Notgrass more.

I didnt know Veritas had a Transition course! This is very intriguing, now just to find a review on it. Notgrass would be a contender as well, and maybe just not do all of the extras. Are you planning to use the Audio and all of the extra books as well? I like the timeline and the maps books, and was thinking we could just do the Lesson book orally. Thank you!

4 hours ago, ghcostafamily said:

I have never heard of this book, is it used in any other packaged curricula? Im looking further into this for sure!

This forum never disappoints!

I'm jumping in because I love this book. There's an illustrated version which is even better, but I first found it as an audio book. 

Gombrich was of German/Austrian descent, moved to England in his youth, and served in ww2 for the Allies translating German communications. He became a respected art professor, and wrote his little book of history for children. He revised it again in his old age.

It's fascinating to me because it is so European. Charlemagne looms large.  Gombrich gives a chapter to the French revolution but only a few pages to the American revolution, for example, because the French revolution rocked Europe in a way the US revolution did not.  

Gombrich exhibited some prejudices I think were common to his generation,  especially toward Islam. The kids and I  stopped to discuss that.

He took an optimistic view of man's development, a hopeful view, until learning about the Holocaust broke his heart. He revised and added to his book on that basis in a tone of humility and growth. 

It's not a long book. I think everyone who uses primarily US sources for world history should read it, to flesh out another viewpoint. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ghcostafamily said:

I have never heard of this book, is it used in any other packaged curricula? Im looking further into this for sure!

This forum never disappoints!

I have no idea.  I don't use prepackaged curriculum.  I design my kids' courses.  We read books like Gombrich's and read additional books on topics of interest.

For example, this yr my 4th grader and I read The Story of Britain.  As we read through the book, we paused it and read books on William the Conqueror, the Magna Charta, the Legend of Robinhood, the crusades, Joan of Arc, WW1 and WW2, etc.  We were reading about British history bc we spent the yr traveling with Lewis through Narnia.  Since the Pevensies were from England, we traveled through their history and what finally led to their being forced to live with the professor.  

• Like 2

My DD did From Adam to Us this year.  I did not have her do all the activities, or read the supplemental literature or the Creative World book.  She did the lesson review, map book, and timeline book.  It was pretty comprehensive and the textbook is beautiful.