Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

How does your garden grow?

As far as what the rest of my garden is doing... I have lots of lettuce.  I should make salads, but I like my salads with lots of non-lettuce ingredients, and the peppers and tomatoes aren't even close to ready.  I have one tomato plant that my mom gave me (with little yellow tomatoes) that has fruit but it's still green.  My vine-y plants (squash, cukes, and climbing peas) all have flowers but no fruit yet.

I planted three eggplants in a flowerbox on my porch, as I ran out of space in the actual garden.  They are starting to shoot up, but I also enriched the soil with a bit of compost, and it appears some kind of gourd plant seed was in there (cuke? squash? melon??).  I've got two volunteers.  I'm going to let them go and maybe find out what it is...  I'm curious!

• Like 2

I am growing peas for the first time and have a question. The plants have flowers and pods, but at the stem, they look terrible with dry leaves and the stem looking kind of dry or rotten. Is this normal as it gets hotter?

Thanks!

My newest garden favorite is amaranth--grows incredibly fast and is delicious roasted with sesame oil and salt. 

• Like 1

My earliest planted corn patch is now five feet high; we got lucky with a warm springs, I was able to plant earlier than usual for this area.

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Well, we had a catastrophic breach in the defenses here.  Wasn't sure what it was, but first pass it ate all my curly kale and half my red cabbages.  I thought maybe something (woodchuck? deer?) had managed to scale or jump the fence, so we put added deer netting, which makes it hard for them to jump, and is floppy at the top and hard to climb over.  A couple of days later the rest of my cabbages were gone. (I have three plants of a different kind of kale that wasn't touched... picky animals).  Dh found the breach - it was, in fact, still just bunnies.  They had chewed through the netting, and apparently even thought I bought "rabbit fencing", the people making this overestimated the size of bunnies.  For extra confirmation, I walked out a few days ago, and there was a brazen bunny *inside the fence*.  I went in with the (leashed, tiny) dog to scare the bejeezus out of it, and it beelined for a hole it had chewed and easily jumped through it in one go.  How it could even know which place had an already chewed netting hole, I have no idea.  I have to peer closely and slowly to find them.  Anyway, 'rabbit fencing' is apparently a complete misnomer.

So, we bought chicken wire and have now encased the whole shebang in chicken wire as well.  It's now a three-layer fence.  Most expensive veggies ever.   But hopefully now I can grow things for us, rather than the rabbits...

I feel your pain.  I thought I had my fencing done and rabbit proofed especially when I watch the rabbits case my yard for 2 days with nary a breech.  On the third morning there was a rabbit in my yard.  My 7 year old needed some exercise so no now his job is to chase the rabbit till either he (the 7 year old) or the rabbit falls over in exhaustion or the rabbit escapes the back yard. So far the rabbit always leaves and it has helped me identify the week spots and I've added more/taller fencing.  of the 6 that thought my backyard, only one keeps returning and it is persistent.  About a week after thinking my yard was fenced, we discovered a nest of baby rabbits.  At least now I know why that rabbit was so persistent.  But that is the 3rd nest of rabbits I have found IN my pots this spring.  We disposed of the babies which were probably only a couple of weeks old and figured that was the end of it.  NOPE that stupid rabbit is back every single day.  I only have one small area that hadn't been re-fenced so I'm sure that is the breech point but I'm so sick of it.  This morning we found one more baby rabbit that I must of missed when I emptied the nest a couple of days ago.  I'm hoping between eliminating the babies and finishing that last weak point in the fence I can be done.  

But yes, I've learned with rabbits, metal only fencing (and I've even seen them chew through chicken wire because that's pretty thin metal).  Height of 2.5 - 3 feet minimum. All openings under 2" x 2",  Mine is 1.5" by 1.5" but I'm not even sure if that is small enough to keep the babies out.  Multiple layers definitely seems to help.  I haven't won the war yet but I will!

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I feel your pain.  I thought I had my fencing done and rabbit proofed especially when I watch the rabbits case my yard for 2 days with nary a breech.  On the third morning there was a rabbit in my yard.  My 7 year old needed some exercise so no now his job is to chase the rabbit till either he (the 7 year old) or the rabbit falls over in exhaustion or the rabbit escapes the back yard. So far the rabbit always leaves and it has helped me identify the week spots and I've added more/taller fencing.  of the 6 that thought my backyard, only one keeps returning and it is persistent.  About a week after thinking my yard was fenced, we discovered a nest of baby rabbits.  At least now I know why that rabbit was so persistent.  But that is the 3rd nest of rabbits I have found IN my pots this spring.  We disposed of the babies which were probably only a couple of weeks old and figured that was the end of it.  NOPE that stupid rabbit is back every single day.  I only have one small area that hadn't been re-fenced so I'm sure that is the breech point but I'm so sick of it.  This morning we found one more baby rabbit that I must of missed when I emptied the nest a couple of days ago.  I'm hoping between eliminating the babies and finishing that last weak point in the fence I can be done.  

But yes, I've learned with rabbits, metal only fencing (and I've even seen them chew through chicken wire because that's pretty thin metal).  Height of 2.5 - 3 feet minimum. All openings under 2" x 2",  Mine is 1.5" by 1.5" but I'm not even sure if that is small enough to keep the babies out.  Multiple layers definitely seems to help.  I haven't won the war yet but I will!

Gah.  We have so.many.bunnies.  If I go out in the yard at any given time, there are multiple ones to be seen at one time.  The rabbit fence is 1x4 close to the ground, then gets larger farther up, but apparently they just hop up and through.  Have the designers of this fence not met rabbits???  It is discouraging that they might chew through chicken wire (thicker gauge is why I bought the so-called rabbit fencing in the first place...), but hopefully even if they do the sandwiched netting, sharp edges of chewed chicken wire, and the third fence whose holes don't line up with the chicken wire will help?  I hope???

I have something eating my plants.  After dinner I'm going to spend some time out there checking for caterpillars very carefully. Because something is eating my peppers and squash.  I'm not too worried about the squash since we have tons.  I can share a bit 🙂  but I want all of my peppers!!!

• Like 1

Update on my relatively aggressively pruned tomato plants:

I probably should have looked into variety differences.   My Romas are heavy with fruit, but they’re not really gaining any height.  I’ll be leaving them alone for now.  All of my other varieties are going crazy! I try to keep up with tying the main stems, but it’s an every couple of days thing now.  Most of them are bare on the bottom foot, and throwing out suckers like gang busters. Tons of fruit and flowers going on. I might get even more aggressive next week, depending on how the next few days go.

My cantaloupes hate me. My peppers seem sad, but that could just be in comparison to my tomatoes.

My fence is no match for the bunnies, but it’s doing an excellent job with the deer compared to years past.

Am I the only one who has nightmares about pea and cucumber plants trying to grab me?

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2020 at 3:56 PM, cjzimmer1 said:

garden.jpg

What a difference a few weeks can make.  3.5 weeks difference between the 2 pictures.  We are picking something every day now.  Mostly cherries but I've got 5 slicers for supper tonight.  Either BLT's or gyros haven't decided which yet.  The green posts  in the second picture are 6 feet tall and the plants are almost to the top of them already.  

3.5 weeks out.jpg

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 7

On 6/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, Matryoshka said:

As far as what the rest of my garden is doing... I have lots of lettuce.  I should make salads, but I like my salads with lots of non-lettuce ingredients, and the peppers and tomatoes aren't even close to ready.  I have one tomato plant that my mom gave me (with little yellow tomatoes) that has fruit but it's still green.  My vine-y plants (squash, cukes, and climbing peas) all have flowers.

This is about where my garden is at also.

We've had a lot of rain here in Eastern NC and I have squash plants growing out of my compost bin that look prehistoric.  I have no idea what kind of squash I will get off them. I had potato plants grow out of my compost pile from potatoes I threw out there and harvested them as new potatoes. From the garden and green house, I've harvested tomatoes I grew from seeds of tomatoes we liked from the grocery store, peppers, cucumbers, lots of lettuce (though it is now going to seed), green peppers, jalapeño peppers, kale, swiss chard, and spaghetti squash. Something is eating the leaves of my bok choy but not sure what.

• Like 1

I'm basically starting over since we moved in May. We're in a duplex with an HOA and lawn service included. I'm in the planning stages for a container garden (summer isn't the time to grow many edibles in Florida, it's our planning time). I met my neighbor across the street yesterday - both of us masked and 6 feet apart. She has a bunch of container plants and I've been admiring her setup since before our house was finished. Right now I have bell pepper seedlings and a basil plant in the house. I had both on the back screen porch but something was eating them. I have yet to figure out what but it's either something small enough to get in the screen or under the door, or it was already inside. I've looked but can't find anything. No bugs, worms, etc. 

If anyone does container gardening or has some good container gardening websites I'd love to hear from you (maybe it's a separate thread - I'll think about it).

We are mostly in containers.....I have tomatoes and peppers in buckets because they can stand the heat, but everything else I have in barrels and in the shade.  You have to water more often and really think about fertilizer/soil nutrients, but other than that container gardening is pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

My peppers are starting to produce. I am getting sporadic squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and okra. But, the peppers are in summer mode.

Thai dragon:F57EE288-B54F-48BA-A514-ABB23276E860.thumb.jpeg.62bb364febe2a5d1198777e0570b8d9e.jpeg

Shishito and Pimentos de pardon:

5B238B36-A633-44D6-8EB6-FB17372293D2.thumb.jpeg.0d9d08f68bf029d0ee76a664a980bb1f.jpeg

purple bell peppers:

A3A8BF39-05CC-4A2D-9B24-ED4833752CD0.thumb.jpeg.d6017dd74753c39d564a6459d05d67a8.jpeg

• Like 6

I’m just finally starting to get a purple bell pepper growing, it’s like three inches.  Several little tomatoes and a ton of blooms, too, as well as major blooming zucchini and cucumber I need to go pollinate tomorrow morning when the blooms are open.  Pumpkin is still going crazy too, vines everywhere!

• Like 3

On 6/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, saraha said:

I am growing peas for the first time and have a question. The plants have flowers and pods, but at the stem, they look terrible with dry leaves and the stem looking kind of dry or rotten. Is this normal as it gets hotter?

Thanks!

Peas like cooler weather. How hot is it? They may be nearing the end of their production. But I think there’s also a fungus that causes stem rot.

• Like 1

My peas went from perfect to dying and the pods on the plant went from tasty to nasty overnight. I think it's spider mites or something? I don't think they're salvageable.

• Sad 1

First time joining this thread. We had this with supper tonight, plus Brussels sprouts and kale all from the garden and DD8 gathered some poke growing wild to mix with the kale. If any of the chickens had been butchering size we would have had a homegrown supper! This is the first year after seven years of trying that I have been able to grow anything other than squash, tomatoes or lettuce. The peas are dying down, but the potatoes are flowering! So thrilling.

8516D0A4-9AA3-446E-825D-2C2AA05F9C8E.jpeg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, mms said:

First time joining this thread. We had this with supper tonight, plus Brussels sprouts and kale all from the garden and DD8 gathered some poke growing wild to mix with the kale. If any of the chickens had been butchering size we would have had a homegrown supper! This is the first year after seven years of trying that I have been able to grow anything other than squash, tomatoes or lettuce. The peas are dying down, but the potatoes are flowering! So thrilling.

8516D0A4-9AA3-446E-825D-2C2AA05F9C8E.jpeg

Soaked in salt water first right?🤣🤣

• Haha 2

It’s July and we are finally done with our 50-60 degree weather 🙄. So the garden is  actually starting to grow stuff!  My Chinese pink celery is coming along; one white celery seed got stuck in the midst so I’ve got one of those too 🙂

I only planted 24 peas (12 sugar snap and 12 Maussane) but it’s not nearly enough for 2 people, so next year I will probably plant 48 and make two “pea walls” 🙂

The micro-toms are finally liking the weather.  They won’t get much bigger; right now the tomato is about the size of a 2-yr olds pinky nail.  It may get twice that size.  But I’m excited!!

And I got my twinkle lights put in ❤️

F40C32D7-9EAF-4560-B1C3-12A30799A8D4.jpeg

C3FAAAB4-406F-4354-BD48-6E26DB250AC9.jpeg

5836EECD-FA4A-4973-BA99-BD20FF66C4E9.jpeg

30B36735-12FD-4C95-AADA-AFD31C1C1DE9.jpeg

A1EDCC0F-CB3D-4E76-A652-1F321EA53B8D.jpeg

2CF14B93-C833-4E55-A8D0-70A6A021A105.jpeg

1FC8EF95-49AA-44C3-BC3A-07D6EAAC08C6.jpeg

E305F3BA-5D15-4D1D-A668-B057E47BB371.jpeg

E4DBA672-5D2A-422A-BE6B-616B7E2991E7.jpeg

99ABA463-01DC-4FD1-8BA5-C7DFA075ABE8.jpeg

42CA0066-248E-4719-84C6-0B035403C419.jpeg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Where do you live that you were having temps in the 50's-60's in July???

Not directed at me, but my lows are expected to be about 53-61 for the next ten days. We had quite a few highs of 60s through June. (Poconos, PA). I’m insanely jealous of everyone already getting some harvesting going.  My peas and beans have only started flowering in the past 2-3 days!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

I live in Boise, but this year the weather has been very unusual.  Normally, we’d be hitting the 80s regularly in June, but nope, this June set a top-three record for rainfall and the temps were pretty low.

The 10-day forecast has lows of 60s and highs of mid 80s with a couple days of low 90s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not directed at me, but my lows are expected to be about 53-61 for the next ten days. We had quite a few highs of 60s through June. (Poconos, PA). I’m insanely jealous of everyone already getting some harvesting going.  My peas and beans have only started flowering in the past 2-3 days!

Seriously. 

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

2 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I live in Boise, but this year the weather has been very unusual.  Normally, we’d be hitting the 80s regularly in June, but nope, this June set a top-three record for rainfall and the temps were pretty low.

The 10-day forecast has lows of 60s and highs of mid 80s with a couple days of low 90s.

2 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Seriously. 

Waving hand -- I'll trade! We've had 100˚+ temperatures (often up to 109˚) since mid-May, so the gardening season ran for about 12 weeks -- from about mid-Feb, to mid-May this year. Still waiting for our monsoons to start up, so everything is scorched and baked hard. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lori D. said:

Waving hand -- I'll trade! We've had 100˚+ temperatures (often up to 109˚) since mid-May, so the gardening season ran for about 12 weeks -- from about mid-Feb, to mid-May this year. Still waiting for our monsoons to start up, so everything is scorched and baked hard. 

Here, we can't even put most things in the ground till late May.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I went out to harvest me some lettuce for a salad, since the lettuce is starting to bolt.  I should have already been eating it, but I like things in my salad other than lettuce, and nothing else has been ready.  So I got some store-bought tomatoes and red peppers.  I went out today, and in addition to lettuce I found TWO cukes, and THREE zucchinis!  One of the cukes went into the lettuce, and looks like zoodle capresi for dinner tomorrow!  My first baby yellow cherry tomato is just starting to ripen up!  Looks like I'll have to wait quite a bit longer for the bigger tomatoes...

Oh, and bunny update - so far so good with the chicken wires.  Crossing fingers.... the kale and cabbages look like at least some of them might recover.  Hoping!  Meanwhile, the variety of kale that the rabbits snubbed is being eaten by some kind of bug or something.  Holes in leaves, but can't find any caterpillars...

• Like 2

Ok so not quite garden, but loosely related. 

I went blueberry picking today.  .  C72625C6-597D-40A7-8E62-278C5C12FCCA.thumb.jpeg.92ac8683d3efd93ef548c2cd20c0eb3b.jpeg

got a total of 6 lbs.  2 lbs go to my mom, and 1 lb to DD24.  So the other 3 lbs..I am dehydrating most and have 3 containers with for snacking.   I plan to use the dehydrated ones to make up instant oatmeal thingies.  I live 15 mi. From the farm and peak is in 2 weeks and then I will pick more to freeze and such.  

Also, I bought 10 lbs of cherries at the store because they were $1.29 a lb.  Some of those will be going in the dehydrator too.  I LOVE dried cherries.  Some just go into containers to be eaten.  The rest will go into the food processor and some of the purée will end up as popsicles, some will end up in cherry jam and some will become fruit leather. 

In addition to this, I made homemade buns for cheeseburgers tonight

46F8417A-FD23-4F52-9081-EB20288EFA97.thumb.jpeg.e84447f8bbb9d25e36a38a575882f542.jpeg 

And I shredded lots of cheese.  Stocked up for the month at Costco and shredded most of it with the food processor, sliced some for the burgers and cubed the rest.  

Also cut up this week’s cukes....I think they are the last cukes I will need to buy, I have 3 on the vine that are at about 4in each so I should be able to harvest next week.  

I am also planning to make a bunch of muffins to freeze, also some waffles, pancakes, twice baked breakfast potatoes and some salsa because I picked these babies 4E36BB37-4955-4EFE-AC28-7DD51B3C54C8.thumb.jpeg.8ebbd52920e6f2fce197045d7b2c8aac.jpeg

and I have a couple of storeboughr toms left so will probably just blend that up...almost like a pico de gallio rather than a salsa.  

All of this prep should help set me up for at least the rest of the month.  

• Like 6

Wow, you’ve been so productive today! Those buns look awesome too, and I’m sure the pick de Gallo will taste amazing. Where did you go for the blueberries?

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Wow, you’ve been so productive today! Those buns look awesome too, and I’m sure the pick de Gallo will taste amazing. Where did you go for the blueberries?

Name of the place is Once In A Blue Moon Farm.  Small family farm....all they do is blueberries.  Price is $3.95 a lb, which is really pretty close to what the sale price at Meijer is.  I picked those 6 lbs in 1.5 hrs.  They are generally open from 8 to 12 on weekends, and then they update weekday hours regularly on facebook (publicly which is good since I don't have FB)  Usually, 4th of July week is peak, but weather said "not yet" lol.  Overall, they are one of the best Upick places I have ever been to.

I was inspired by these videos

to try to get the month prepped all at once.

I am taking a break right now, and then I am going to mix up some banana muffins to use up some bananas, and most will be frozen to pull out later.

Oh, just random....

I bought a cherry pitter when I was at the store....I couldn't find an inexpensive one and spent more than I wanted.  And after pitting 8lbs of cherries......yeah, it was worth the money lol

• Like 1

First batch of banana muffins are in the oven.  I tripled the recipe and plan to do 2 more batches.  Once they have cooled, I will freeze them in sets of 5, so one muffin per person for the month.

At that point, it will be time to start the burgers for dinner.  I will probably do some fries in the airfryer with that....I knew there was a reason I bought the clearance bag of fries! lol.

I think like half of the things I *planned* to prep today will be shuffled to tomorrow......which is why I am doing this on the weekend lol  

• Like 1

Things are growing, though sadly my female pumpkin flowers fell off while I was out of town and now I have a bunch of males, but not sure if the females got pollinated. Hopefully some bees and flies got busy in there while I was gone. Otherwise the cucumbers got hand pollinated, the tomatoes are growing very well (the early girls are still doing way better than the cherries), and my purple bell pepper is almost ready too.8FFAE7BE-F453-4E6E-824C-9A54CB818959.jpeg.1cc3f216354976f58ae86cd8c462a5bc.jpeg

A6E687C3-51EA-4350-AAC5-A269C9AEFA45.jpeg.5803dcfe1888fc6cc5c9885e954a3e1a.jpeg

266025AE-CBA7-4B94-995A-373C70BAAA05.jpeg.27e443a7a5e19e0a3bbee170c347db49.jpeg

451080AC-44A9-427D-A10D-284353A452F0.jpeg.c724ca22cb8e68045e8c4b74f512aea9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, Matryoshka said:

Here, we can't even put most things in the ground till late May.

I didn’t haul my coats to the basement until 2 weeks ago. 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:07 PM, happysmileylady said:

Ok so not quite garden, but loosely related. 

In addition to this, I made homemade buns for cheeseburgers tonight

46F8417A-FD23-4F52-9081-EB20288EFA97.thumb.jpeg.e84447f8bbb9d25e36a38a575882f542.jpeg 

Those look gorgeous! Do you have a favorite recipe? I usually use the King Arthur Flour recipe but would be open to trying a different one. 

You guys, I literally took two pictures and then my phone died!!! It is charging now so I will get pics of everything today. But here are the question I have.

Can anyone identify this plant? One pick is a picture of it's fruit and the other is of the whole plant

IMG_20200706_124344709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200706_124410679_HDR.jpg

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Can anyone identify this plant? One pick is a picture of it's fruit and the other is of the whole plant

Looks like a melon/cantaloupe plant from the fruit. From the flowers and leaves, could be melon or squash/pumpkin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Looks like a melon/cantaloupe plant from the fruit. From the flowers and leaves, could be melon or squash/pumpkin.

i really hope it is cantaloupe because I have tons of it and while i love squash and pumpkin cantaloupe would be so much better.  I have zucchini growing nicely elsewhere so don't need more squash necessarily.

The picture of the plant looks like it's probably cucumber of some sort.  The leaves and flowers are very cucumber like.  However the fruit doesn't look like a regular cucumber....maybe a lemon cucumber?

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

It could be a cantaloupe.  Probably not a squash/pumpkin....those flowers tend to be larger and more orange IME.  I don't know a lot about some of the other winter type squashes or gourds though.  

23 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

The picture of the plant looks like it's probably cucumber of some sort.  The leaves and flowers are very cucumber like.  However the fruit doesn't look like a regular cucumber....maybe a lemon cucumber?

We didn't have any lemon cucumber seeds and have never had one so it wouldn't be in our compost.  Plus, there are simply too many plants to be from birds spreading seeds.  So, I don't think it is that.  I didn't even know lemon cucumbers were a things, thanks for teaching me something

Only time will tell I guess

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The fruit looks like it could be this kind of stripey variant of cantaloupe?

image.jpeg.a18cfb5af611e27d8ddd234478e570f2.jpeg

Good news - the new fortress fencing seems to be holding thus far (knock wood!) and both my curly kale and cabbages seem to be recovering from the Dastardly Bunny Attack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

The fruit looks like it could be this kind of stripey variant of cantaloupe?

image.jpeg.a18cfb5af611e27d8ddd234478e570f2.jpeg

we do have this variety of cantaloupe.  I'm just not sure if it got planted there.  The whole row was a mystery to me because all the kids overwhelmed me with different seeds and sort of took over. It was chaotic.  The plants I got in that row were, tomatoes, a variety of beans, zucchini, and this mystery plant.  I transferred the beans and tomatoes elsewhere, leaving the zuch and mystery plant there.  

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

You guys, I literally took two pictures and then my phone died!!! It is charging now so I will get pics of everything today. But here are the question I have.

IMG_20200706_124344709_HDR.jpg

The striping and shape remind of Delicata squash but in the picture yours looks more green instead of white.  Since I haven't grown the delicata myself, I don't know if they change color when ripe or are always white. 

Ok so some pics

1328066601_IMG_58971.thumb.JPG.a0367758905c02cb99a0fae2aa71e8ed.JPG

My tomatoes.  That big one right in front is my volunteer.  I am 90% sure that it's a cherry tom.  I had sweet 100s last year, so that's probably what it is.

• Like 2

Ok, I have more pics but it's not letting me upload anymore.  

But next week, I won't have to buy cucumbers or zucchini at the store.  

IMG_5899[1].JPG

I weeded out my herb garden bed.  I need to prune these and stick some in the dehydrator.

IMG_5898[1].JPG

My canteloupe in the pots, plus the eggplant and the purple basil.  That purple basil is REALLY good in strawberry basil water.  

IMG_5900[1].JPG

Some teeny tiny carrot sprouts.

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 1