Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

How does your garden grow?

So many black raspberry blossoms this year.  I might be able to make a good amount of black raspberry ice cream if DD doesn’t eat them all. 

I ended up buying a lot of plants from the Mennonite over the weekend. So many plants for 10.  I got a flat of cucumbers, some cabbage, corn, peppers and  parsley. Along with a ton of flowers. Now to plant more.  

• Like 2

Re the cabbage moth larvae, 

When my older ones were little I thought I had gone through the broccoli very carefully. I told my kids that anyone who found a caterpillar in their food would get 5c per caterpillar. 

One ds after a few minutes said mum you owe me $1.95.i look over and he had a whole row on the side of his plate

😲

Now I only grow them in the winter when there are no moths around. 

Though I have seen some pretty cool bug nets for veggie gardens..... 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Re the cabbage moth larvae, 

When my older ones were little I thought I had gone through the broccoli very carefully. I told my kids that anyone who found a caterpillar in their food would get 5c per caterpillar. 

One ds after a few minutes said mum you owe me $1.95.i look over and he had a whole row on the side of his plate

😲

Now I only grow them in the winter when there are no moths around. 

Though I have seen some pretty cool bug nets for veggie gardens..... 

😲😲😲

Hello everyone. Does anyone have advice on protecting a garden from large pests? Over the last few days, I've lost 75% of this year's transplants. 😢 I go out in the morning and find the plants dug out of their places and tossed about a foot away. The same thing has happened to one of my neighbors. It's also not the first year this has happened.

We have frequent deer, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits in our yard, and even the occasional bear (found a few piles of scat this morning), so it could be anything. 

Any ideas what to do? It's been discouraging to lose the plants that I've nurtured for six weeks.

Thanks!

I’d cover the beds with tulle from Joanns.  Makes a nice lightweight netting  they don’t try to chew through and smaller animals don’t like catching their nails in 🙂

You can tie it off or weight it down with rocks super easily.

• Like 2

My cherries are getting ripe. Corn is thigh high. I've got a few peas but the chickens got into my garden after planting a d ate most if them; I've re-planted but those are just sprouting. I have lettuce I should pick and make a nice salad with.

1 hour ago, Quarter Note said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone have advice on protecting a garden from large pests? Over the last few days, I've lost 75% of this year's transplants. 😢 I go out in the morning and find the plants dug out of their places and tossed about a foot away. The same thing has happened to one of my neighbors. It's also not the first year this has happened.

We have frequent deer, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits in our yard, and even the occasional bear (found a few piles of scat this morning), so it could be anything. 

Any ideas what to do? It's been discouraging to lose the plants that I've nurtured for six weeks.

Thanks!

I surrounded my whole garden with wire fencing, and sunk it as well to prevent diggers.  My mom doesn't fence and swears by some pellets called Repel All, I think? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d cover the beds with tulle from Joanns.  Makes a nice lightweight netting  they don’t try to chew through and smaller animals don’t like catching their nails in 🙂

You can tie it off or weight it down with rocks super easily.

Thank you, but I already had tulle on my cabbage plants.  It was nothing for this critter to sweep that out of the way. 

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I surrounded my whole garden with wire fencing, and sunk it as well to prevent diggers.  My mom doesn't fence and swears by some pellets called Repel All, I think? 

It will probably have to come to that.  I'm just trying to avoid adding another project to my husband's to-do list.  Sigh - it probably would never get done.

Does anyone have a source for an easy-to-install fence?  Does the fence need to be like a covered cage to prevent raccoons from climbing in?

All these peppers were the same size when I got them. They are different varieties, but I'm pretty sure the height differences actually indicate where I ran out of compost last year. 😄

IMG_20200618_085408.jpg

Edited by SusanC
mulch =/= compost
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Quarter Note said:

It will probably have to come to that.  I'm just trying to avoid adding another project to my husband's to-do list.  Sigh - it probably would never get done.

Does anyone have a source for an easy-to-install fence?  Does the fence need to be like a covered cage to prevent raccoons from climbing in?

Hm, I don't think raccoons are big garden eaters? Bigger worries are woodchucks, bunnies, and deer, and maybe chipmunks. 

Try the Repel All pellets... my mom has amazing success with those. My dad also will never get to putting in a fence!

9 hours ago, Quarter Note said:

Thanks!

Animal mesh wire fencing topped with electric wire.  It needs to be high enouch that deer can't jump over it.  We use netting for the berries.  We have talked about getting some fake owls so put on the fence posts.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:04 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Hope this works

1ECCD73F-8472-495E-B322-61D041A1CC28.jpeg

CCEAD0DE-2F0A-4A9D-83DD-D60FDC40408C.jpeg

C5D1C48E-6234-4B05-A3CB-05007E186C86.jpeg

This is incredible!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SusanC said:

All these peppers were the same size when I got them. They are different varieties, but I'm pretty sure the height differences actually indicate where I ran out of compost last year. 😄

IMG_20200618_085408.jpg

It may be the compost but there could be other factors as well.  Such as many commercial growers who sells the plant starters use growth inhibitors.  They do this to keep the plants short and bushy while the plant is growing roots.  When the plants are removed from their starter tray, they need to be very rebound to make for quick transplanting to their growing container.  Different growers use different amount of growth inhibitors and we have see a wide range of when they plant "comes out" of the stage were their top growth was stunted.  Also different varieties of peppers do have very different final sizes.  For me jalepenos are almost the smallest plants, bell peppers are much taller but get very bushy.  Poblanos get slightly taller than the bells but don't get near as bushy.

So all that to say, it could be your soil but there could be other factors that are out of your control.  But peppers like sulphur so go stick 8-10 unlit matches per plant in the soil around your plants to give them a boost.

After trying many things and types of fencing, the only thing that works consistently for me is an electric fence. 

2 hours ago, Quarter Note said:

Thank you, but I already had tulle on my cabbage plants.  It was nothing for this critter to sweep that out of the way. 

Did you weight it down with rocks or two by fours?  It might need a frame on it and not just draped, especially if it’s something like a raccoon.  Rigid row covers are your next option, similar idea.

B8217A4F-D62C-4233-A21A-130B44475756.jpeg

My cauliflower harvest.  The biggest one there in the back is a smidge yellow, I didn't get the leaves folded over in time.  Otherwise they look and smell GREAT!

AC108EBA-0C43-4016-9BA2-9E234B408E23.jpeg

The space where the broccoli and cauliflower were.  DD11 and I decided we are going to put in two rows of carrots since I already have a seed tape of rainbow carrots, and then she wants to try a watermelon, so we will try that.

17E3F741-9C7E-408A-BCD3-EEC498E03B79.jpeg

That's my volunteer tomato.  He's kinda starting to go crazy!

E488AA32-1965-4221-A059-83A9A94E636A.jpeg

Those are my purple tom and a cherry tom

I also had pics of my pepper plants, cause I have some baby bell peppers and a little baby jalapeno, but it won't let me upload them.

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 6

So I think I am officially never growing broccoli or cauliflower ever again.  They are one and done crops (or, nearly so...broccoli side shoots aren't terribly productive.) and the amount of work required for getting these nasty cabbage worms off isn't worth it to me.  All told I think I am going to end up with about 2 or 3 pounds of cauliflower florets, but I am STILL not finished cleaning and picking these little nasty worms off these things.  And I am not 100% convinced I have even gotten them all.  

ETA: ok, I think I get them all done, and they are still mighty tasty lol

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 1

My 9yo and I binge watched some gardening videos the other night, so he’s been wanting to implement new ideas. We’re pruning our tomatoes to a degree I never have before.  I gave him the snippers and was holding the plants for him until a wasp came by and he nearly took out my right eye with pointy snippers.

He’s been demoted.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My 9yo and I binge watched some gardening videos the other night, so he’s been wanting to implement new ideas. We’re pruning our tomatoes to a degree I never have before.  I gave him the snippers and was holding the plants for him until a wasp came by and he nearly took out my right eye with pointy snippers.

He’s been demoted.

OMG!  That's both funny and scary at the same time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

He’s been demoted.

My DS has been helping me prune the tomatoes as well. We are sticking the suckers in some perlite to root them - we have had a couple of successes so far, though I don't need more tomato plants at this point 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

My DS has been helping me prune the tomatoes as well. We are sticking the suckers in some perlite to root them - we have had a couple of successes so far, though I don't need more tomato plants at this point 🙂

You do know that the suckers are your next set of tomatoes on the plant, right?  and by cutting them off you are reducing the amount of tomatoes your plant will produce?  This was a common idea during my great grandfathers generation but it is totally unnecessary.

9 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

You do know that the suckers are your next set of tomatoes on the plant, right?  and by cutting them off you are reducing the amount of tomatoes your plant will produce?  This was a common idea during my great grandfathers generation but it is totally unnecessary.

The plant will produce the same weight of tomatoes, so cutting the suckers off means you get larger fruit. It also helps stop the sprawl, resaltubf on the ability to plant more plants in the garden space. 

Same as zucchini, it will produce the same weight of zuccunu, you can either pick them small and have lots of small ones or let them get huge and have a few big ones

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Really?  All the gardening advice I’m seeing says pruning the extra suckers helps the plant put more energy into fruit production and not foliage. I’m an idiot and new at this, but the flower suckers looked different than the leaf suckers.

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The plant will produce the same weight of tomatoes, so cutting the suckers off means you get larger fruit. It also helps stop the sprawl, resaltubf on the ability to plant more plants in the garden space. 

Definitely not been my experience.  My unpruned tomatoes regularly get 1-2 pounds each and with the exception of cherry tomatoes, are easily contained by their tomato cages.  Perhaps some of the old heirloom varieties benefited from pruning but the modern hybrids definitely do not benefit from it.  My uncle is stuck on heirloom and pruning and trust me, I get double to triple the yield that he gets.

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Really?  All the gardening advice I’m seeing says pruning the extra suckers helps the plant put more energy into fruit production and not foliage. I’m an idiot and new at this, but the flower suckers looked different than the leaf suckers.

The new flower shoots will develop on the leaf suckers once they grow more.  You really truly only need to remove leaves from the bottom when you are planting.  We recommend putting half or more of any stem underground (with leaves removed from that portion).  The hairs on the tomato stem will turn to roots when in contact with the soil.  More roots is what gives your plants food and energy and results in more tomatoes.  It really does come back to what's under the ground not what's above it. 

Just now, cjzimmer1 said:

Definitely not been my experience.  My unpruned tomatoes regularly get 1-2 pounds each and with the exception of cherry tomatoes, are easily contained by their tomato cages.  Perhaps some of the old heirloom varieties benefited from pruning but the modern hybrids definitely do not benefit from it.  My uncle is stuck on heirloom and pruning and trust me, I get double to triple the yield that he gets.

I don’t trim either.  My tomatoes including heirloom produce a ton.  My neighbor is old school and trims.  He doesn’t get near the tomatoes I get from mine. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I did not really prune my toms much at all last year.   I mean sometimes I pull off little bits that I don’t want around, but I actually don’t take snippets to much of anything.  And you saw how my toms were last year 😁🍅🍅

14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Now I’m all confused on the tomatoes, YouTube has FAILED MEEEEEE!

Yeah when I was watching them I was like, wait, should I be doing a lot of pruning??!?!?!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Don't get stressed, the tomatoe plants will produce tomatoes if you prune or not. 

It is just one of those things that people get strong opinions about

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have literally never heard of pruning tomatoes and my dad has been growing and making sauce from his own tomatoes pretty much since I was born.  Can’t be too big a deal 😆

Dd harvested her beetroot yesterday.  They are a little small but we aren’t really big beetroot lovers so I’m mainly going to put the leaves in a stir fry.  Some of the brocolli had some aphid type insects that are nearly impossible to remove.  I want to get here some more seedlings next time we are out though it’s heading in to cold and frost season.  So I’m going to do hardy - broadbeans etc.  

I thinned my turnips a while back and was at a loss as to what to do with all the turnip greens.  I'm not a 'make them a a side dish' enthusiast.  So then today I pinched my basil plants and also had some basil I didn't know what to do with... so, I ended up spelunking in my produce drawer, found some red and some green onion leftover from other dinners, and some parsley, sauteed that with the turnip greens, basil, and some garlic, and added a couple of eggs and some cheese.  What a yummy lunch!!

The now thinned turnips still in the patch are going crazy growing...  hopefully I'll get some nice fat turnip roots someday...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Hm, I don't think raccoons are big garden eaters? Bigger worries are woodchucks, bunnies, and deer, and maybe chipmunks. 

Try the Repel All pellets... my mom has amazing success with those. My dad also will never get to putting in a fence!

Whatever the critter is, it's not even eating the plants.  It's just digging them up. 

I'll definitely look into Repel All.  That just seems like the easiest thing to do for this year.  Many thanks!

Edited by Quarter Note
More info

13 hours ago, Mbelle said:

Animal mesh wire fencing topped with electric wire.  It needs to be high enouch that deer can't jump over it.  We use netting for the berries.  We have talked about getting some fake owls so put on the fence posts.

I'll look into a fence with an electric wire for next year.  Thank you!

13 hours ago, livetoread said:

After trying many things and types of fencing, the only thing that works consistently for me is an electric fence. 

Do you have a source for the electric fence?  All my usual sources don't seem to have anything electric.  

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Did you weight it down with rocks or two by fours?  It might need a frame on it and not just draped, especially if it’s something like a raccoon.  Rigid row covers are your next option, similar idea.

I did weight the tulle down with rocks, but it wasn't enough!  I like the idea of the rigid row covers.  That might work.  Thank you!

On 6/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, Quarter Note said:

Thanks!

I feel for you 😞 Could you make a chicken wire enclosure around your transplants until they are established? Squirrels got all my beans and gourds this year - same story as you, all of them dug and tossed around. Planting onions, marigold and garlic interspersed with them did not help because these squirrels did not mind the smell! I had to restart from seed because I was growing unusual varieties. This time, I am using chicken wire guards until end of july and then I will pull them off.

1 hour ago, Quarter Note said:

Do you have a source for the electric fence?  All my usual sources don't seem to have anything electric.  

Thanks!

My father, who moved and didn’t have space for a garden anymore! He gave me a solar panel and car battery too, and it’s been working well for several years now. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

My daughter was pruning tomatoes on the local farm the other day.  Not to the same degree, but some. They sell in their store and through the local supermarkets, so I’m comfortable believing they’re happy with the results that financially support their large extended family plus employees who get paid well above minimum wage for field work.  If it’s good for them, it’ll be just fine for my house.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I feel for you 😞 Could you make a chicken wire enclosure around your transplants until they are established? Squirrels got all my beans and gourds this year - same story as you, all of them dug and tossed around. Planting onions, marigold and garlic interspersed with them did not help because these squirrels did not mind the smell! I had to restart from seed because I was growing unusual varieties. This time, I am using chicken wire guards until end of july and then I will pull them off.

Squirrels!  It's amazing how those little creatures can do so much damage.  I do have a roll of chicken wire sitting around.  I'll try that.  Maybe I can get the kids to help.  Thank you!  

(I feel for you, too!  It's so disappointing to nuture starts inside the house for a month or so only to see them destroyed when you finally plant them outside.)

7 hours ago, livetoread said:

My father, who moved and didn’t have space for a garden anymore! He gave me a solar panel and car battery too, and it’s been working well for several years now. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

How lucky you are to have such a great father!  Thanks anyway!

• Like 1

So I planted the last of the tomato plants that I had and let my family know I still had room for 2 more plants if they were more plants destined for the compost pile.  Afterward, I decided to count how many I had and learned I had been more ambitious than I realized.  I have 77,  SEVENTY SEVEN!!! tomato plants.  The most I ever planted before was 40.  I'm kinda regretting saying I could squeeze 2 more in but at the same time, I'm thinking at this point, is 2 really going to make any difference at all.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

We have pinched many herbs for ourselves and the bunnies, but I finally got my first fruit ever!  Nabbed it before the birds did 🥰

2D3A4116-8AC0-4A5A-85FA-E4A8D682745C.jpeg.fe1f56ced57dc7055703102f0a81ea56.jpeg

That is a good looking berry!

• Thanks 1