Menu

I am working on getting my summer garden in today.  Or getting it started at least.

My herb bed is cleaned out and I am getting plants in.  I have dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and the basil still has to go in.  I have enough space for one more....trying to decide what to put in.  What are you growing in yours?

And then there's the veggie bed.  I have red leaf lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower in there.  I put those in in early spring and with all the rain and cool weather, they have gone crazy!  

I put 6 lettuce plants in, just red leaf lettuce.  I lost one to a frost, but the remaining five have produced a lot.  I have been just cutting what we will use off the plant when we make a salad or tacos, but there are only 3 of us here that actually eat lettuce (though, at least DD9 and DS7 have tried it a couple of times.)  I had planned to pull it all out this weekend, figuring it was going to be too hot for lettuce already and it would have bolted, but most of May has been really cool.  So it's still good, but we can't eat everything we have and I really had planned to use the space for other things.  I dunno, I just hate to pull out a plant that is still growing strong and producing edible food.

Oh, update on our baby pumpkin plant, the frost over Mother's Day weekend got him.  I picked up one pumpkin plant to replace him.

The broccoli has done SO incredibly well.  The plants and leaves are so big, I can't even get between them to pull the weeds!  I have 6 broccoli plants, and all 6 have small heads on them.  I will probably be harvesting and pulling those this weekend.  I am not really wanting to try to coax any side shoots out of it, I need to get the other plants in.

And then, there's the cauliflower.  The plants are also *huge* but I am not seeing ANY cauliflower heads at all.  I had 6 plants, but one just never really took hold once I planted them in the ground, so I have 5.  I thought the cauliflower would be ready to harvest by this weekend too, but obviously it needs time still.  The tab says 75 days, but I only put it in about 60ish days ago, so it might need another two weeks.

I will get a pic to share in a bit, in the mean time, what are you growing, how is it doing?

• Like 4
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Instead of my normal grocery bag for picking I used a plate tonight, so I wouldn't squash all the little things.  It looks cute and delicious.   I ate half the cherry tomatoes already.

Although my flowers didn't grow as much this year I still have some and picked these tonight!  

Ooooh, for the first time ever I have neither pets nor small children, so I can have foxgloves. They’re bigger than me! I tried to grow castor beans but they didn’t germinate. ☹️

Posted Images

Something stole all my parsley.  Seems to have left everything else alone.  Anyone know of a creature that is partial to parsley? 

We've been playing around with some herbs and lettuce from seed in pots up against the house.  We've also tried some old seeds to see what would sprout and what wouldn't so that we can clean out anything dead and get new ones.  We don't usually do this - it was a project to occupy a bored kid, although I had been wanting to try it out.  Now that it's set up, hopefully we can maintain it.  The pots are on shelves in a mini (2 foot x 3 foot but 5 feet tall) greenhouse, and we're hoping that we can maybe rearrange and put a tomato in there for fall to extend the season.

Our main veggies comes from a big (40 foot x 60 foot) garden.  We started tomatoes and peppers from small plants and they are thriving and have flowers.  The corn is doing well.  We had to do some replanting of the green beans, limas, peas, okra, cucumbers, squash, melon, and pumpkin - we had alternating hot/cold and then some really hard rain, and it was a problem for some of them.  But, at this point everything is up.  Most of our summer veggies come from the garden, and we fill a freezer for the winter. 

We have some wild raspberries and blackberries and they seem to be doing well.  The blueberries that we planted are finally big enough that we might get more than a handful of berries if we can keep the birds out of them.  We have a couple of Thomcord grapes that we might finally get a few clusters from.  We've been home more so we're hoping that we've done a better job of staying on top of the assorted fungal infections that get into the fruit trees that we've planted - we have lots of apples and pears and the trees are tall enough that the deer can't get them all, so hopefully we'll figure out how to stay on top of the assorted treatments that are needed to keep them healthy.  

We've got 3 acres and it always seems a little miraculous when we can walk out and pick most of dinner.  

• Like 4

I am growing a lot of tomatoes this year (6 varieties), a ton of peppers (I planted everything that sprouted because I could not give them away), Kabocha squash (japanese pumpkin), 3 types of cucumbers and 3 varieties of eggplant. My herb bed is not doing well: thai basil and mint look scrawny, my Sage, Oregano and Thyme survived the frost and it seems like they will make it, but the small Parsley, Dill and Cilantro already bolted when the temperature hit 95 🌞, so I am off to buy replacements. I have started summer greens: amaranth, malabar spinach, okinawan spinach. I am growing cooler greens like chard, lettuce and Kale in containers in the shade for cut and come again harvesting. My bush beans got fried last week in the heat but the summer peas that I am trying have hung on so far!

All my citrus trees have slight yellowing in them and the organic fertilizers are very slow acting.

I ordered a lot of grow bags from amazon because I am running out of space in my beds and I have to get soil for the bags. This will be my first season trying to grow in bags.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 3

I've got a larger than usual garden this year. I usually have a few things, but I've to a bit of a brown thumb, so it's very hit or miss (except for yellow squash, can't seem to stop those).

I planted okra, black eyed peas, peas, green onions, radishes, yellow squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, and beets from see d. The peas aren't going to produce because it's getting too hot for them. Half died off up front for no apparent reason, anyway. The beets are planted where that row of peas used to be. (And may I mention how irritating it is that autocorrect keeps changing beets to beers!) 

I have been replanting liberally this year. I tend to over buy seed, and I have lots leftover from other years. Still only about six green onions have made it. I planted about seven cantaloupe and only two sprouted. Only about half of my cucumbers came up, and only one survived, so I replanted those and now have about seven.

I also bought 8 strawberry plants, three tomato plants, and a watermelon. Two of the strawberries died, and another is waffling between wanting to live or die. I can usually keep tomatoes alive, it's just getting them to produce that's the problem. But one has put on tiny green tomatoes. The other two already had a few on when we bought them.

I bought a mint plant. It's in a planter, and I not so secretly hope it goes crazy. They 're practically a weed, right?

Also planted (and replanted) some basil. Second time is apparently the charm, there are tiny basil plants. Planted some cilantro. It sprouted, which is more than it did last year. 

• Like 1

I actually think two of my radishes are ready to pick. I've heard the tips are edible, too. Does anyone know how you prepare/eat those?

I've never really gardened before, but this year DD wanted to grow sunflowers for a science project and when she got started, I caught the bug. Now we have some brave cosmos and zinnias duking it out for supremacy over all the various yard-weeds. I'm giving them as much help as I can, having discovered that I sort of enjoy weeding.

Sunflowers are getting munched on by something.

We moved our garden, have too many pressing projects going, and are just not the best garden processors, so this year is simple:

Asparagus begun - yay!  DH began many varieties of tomatoes and peppers from seed.  Two jalapeños, at my request.  I planted some cilantro.  Oh, and DH finally began plants from designer zinnia seeds he gave me for Christmas one year.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I am working on getting my summer garden in today.  Or getting it started at least.

My herb bed is cleaned out and I am getting plants in.  I have dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and the basil still has to go in.  I have enough space for one more....trying to decide what to put in.  What are you growing in yours?

And then there's the veggie bed.  I have red leaf lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower in there.  I put those in in early spring and with all the rain and cool weather, they have gone crazy!  

I put 6 lettuce plants in, just red leaf lettuce.  I lost one to a frost, but the remaining five have produced a lot.  I have been just cutting what we will use off the plant when we make a salad or tacos, but there are only 3 of us here that actually eat lettuce (though, at least DD9 and DS7 have tried it a couple of times.)  I had planned to pull it all out this weekend, figuring it was going to be too hot for lettuce already and it would have bolted, but most of May has been really cool.  So it's still good, but we can't eat everything we have and I really had planned to use the space for other things.  I dunno, I just hate to pull out a plant that is still growing strong and producing edible food.

Oh, update on our baby pumpkin plant, the frost over Mother's Day weekend got him.  I picked up one pumpkin plant to replace him.

The broccoli has done SO incredibly well.  The plants and leaves are so big, I can't even get between them to pull the weeds!  I have 6 broccoli plants, and all 6 have small heads on them.  I will probably be harvesting and pulling those this weekend.  I am not really wanting to try to coax any side shoots out of it, I need to get the other plants in.

And then, there's the cauliflower.  The plants are also *huge* but I am not seeing ANY cauliflower heads at all.  I had 6 plants, but one just never really took hold once I planted them in the ground, so I have 5.  I thought the cauliflower would be ready to harvest by this weekend too, but obviously it needs time still.  The tab says 75 days, but I only put it in about 60ish days ago, so it might need another two weeks.

I will get a pic to share in a bit, in the mean time, what are you growing, how is it doing?

I have the plants you mentioned plus three kinds of parsley, three kinds of basil, chervil, lovage, borage, fennel, chives, marjoram, tarragon, and cilantro.  I found a slow-bolt cilantro this year and it's changed my life.  🙂  I love my herb garden and use it every day.  Some years my parsley stays green all winter long.

I have a lot of kale right now, so I've been doing chopped salads where I mix the kale, chard, and lettuce.  I'm notoriously bad at growing spinach.  I'm about to give up on attempting chinese cabbages in the spring because they always bolt; even this year when it was really cool.  I might attempt to grow them in the fall/winter.  My regular cabbages grow really well, but the cabbage whites always manage to defeat me.  I even covered them this year! I'm ready to declare all cabbages a fall crop. The kale, broccoli, and brussels sprouts all look healthy.

I lost some things to frost, had enough plants to replant right away, and now in some places the frost-damage plants have recovered and I have TWO plants in those spots.  

I'm trying a 4 sisters garden this year (apparently sunflowers are the 4th sister).  The corn is growing, but I'm not sure it likes the clay soil at my community garden plot.  I'll probably transition that whole space to raised beds over the next few years.  I also put up a bean teepee with scarlet runners at home to attract hummingbirds.  I poached a bunch of bamboo poles from the side of the road.

Most of my garden is in my back yard, but it only gets about 5 hours of sun so I'm moving the sun lovers to my community plot.  This is the first year I've expanded off-site and I'm loving having somewhere to go and do something other than buy groceries. 😁

• Like 1

Our garden is so much better this year than normal because DH has had so much time to tend it!

We have picked a few zucchini and have lots growing, several varieties of tomatoes, I should have some cherry tomatoes ready to pick in the next few weeks, we planted asparagus crowns but wont harvest until next year, we have grapes, onions, peppers, and some herbs. I can't wait to start harvesting!

20200527_092031.jpg

20200527_091914.jpg

20200521_100106.jpg

• Like 5

Oooh, love the pics!

I think I decided to do mint as the sixth plant in the herb bed.  I will pick that up on Saturday when I go grocery shopping.  I thought about trying a different type of basil, but last year's basil plant went cray cray and I couldn't use up everything I got, so I decided a second would be overkill.

I have tomatoes, red sweet peppers, bell peppers, butter beans, field peas, okra, lettuce, a little test corn spot, radishes, and squash.   The squash have really taken off.  I've already harvested radishes, lettuce, a bell pepper, and my first of what will be 100 squash.  It's my first big veg garden so I'm already making some decisions for next year's planting.

Here's my hug squash.  The rise bed is 4 feet by 3 feet.

99384568_10223573719558260_1289603448618090496_n.jpg

• Like 3

My seedlings all hate me.  I naively started them with a normal to early spring in mind, and got a late spring instead. Most of them gave up before I even attempted to transplant them. I’m trying to hold out hope for the rest for a few more days, and may try to hunt down some replacements.

I did get various tomato and pepper plants from the farm and they seem very happy.  I could use a few more sweet peppers.  My peas and beans finally popped up and I need to thin the carrot section. 

I don’t know what to make of my cucumbers yet.  I planned for 12 plants, 2 varieties, but only 4 or 5 have popped up so far. Maybe tomorrow.

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Frosch said:

I have tomatoes, red sweet peppers, bell peppers, butter beans, field peas, okra, lettuce, a little test corn spot, radishes, and squash.   The squash have really taken off.  I've already harvested radishes, lettuce, a bell pepper, and my first of what will be 100 squash.  It's my first big veg garden so I'm already making some decisions for next year's planting.

Here's my hug squash.  The rise bed is 4 feet by 3 feet.

99384568_10223573719558260_1289603448618090496_n.jpg

OMG that's HUGE!  You didn't name it Audrey did you?

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Oooh, love the pics!

I think I decided to do mint as the sixth plant in the herb bed.  I will pick that up on Saturday when I go grocery shopping.  I thought about trying a different type of basil, but last year's basil plant went cray cray and I couldn't use up everything I got, so I decided a second would be overkill.

I love mints. They spread like wildfire, so I plant them around the yard in bare spots, and it smells great when Ken mows.

Do you like anise? There’s Mexican mint marigold that’s similar to an anise flavor. It grows in perfectly rounded clumps and has cute yellow flowers.

My garden isn’t planted yet. I’ve got one patio tomato in a big pot. Our yard doesn’t get much sun, so I usually wait until June to get plants, that way they have time to grow nicely at the greenhouse before having to struggle at our place. Our port grapes are just now leaving out, I love how the green is tinged with pink at this point. 

The outer beds that surround the actual garden have become overgrown with oregano, chives, and sage, which is great because there’s not much room for weeds. Oh, there’s a hugecatnip in the center. I think it stayed green under the snow. Our cat will be perpetually stoned the next 6 months.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I love mints. They spread like wildfire, so I plant them around the yard in bare spots, and it smells great when Ken mows.

Do you like anise? There’s Mexican mint marigold that’s similar to an anise flavor. It grows in perfectly rounded clumps and has cute yellow flowers.

I think I am just going to go with a basic spearmint.  Although, the meijer website says they have a "mint chocolate" that looks interesting.  

6 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

My garden isn’t planted yet. I’ve got one patio tomato in a big pot. Our yard doesn’t get much sun, so I usually wait until June to get plants, that way they have time to grow nicely at the greenhouse before having to struggle at our place. Our port grapes are just now leaving out, I love how the green is tinged with pink at this point. 

The outer beds that surround the actual garden have become overgrown with oregano, chives, and sage, which is great because there’s not much room for weeds. Oh, there’s a hugecatnip in the center. I think it stayed green under the snow. Our cat will be perpetually stoned the next 6 months.

🤣I had one cat that used to just get totally wigged out on catnip, but the other cat couldn't have cared less. 

Everything I've planted this year with a few exceptions have died 😞  

I gave in today and bought plants from the hardware store. I was so proud of all my seedlings (and the cost savings!) but it's time to admit defeat. Hopefully these guys do better. 

Also, something stole half my garlic! Just over 2 days, my row of garlic was taken out from the right side down to almost the middle. They didn't die, there were holes left over. What likes that much garlic? My friend jokingly suggested it may be a homo sapien neighboralis, but truthfully I have no clue what happened.

• Sad 1

We have two new beds in a new sunny spot (removed play structure and a tall fir tree). Our old beds are pretty shady due to a maple tree. Our spinach is doing great in the shady bed--I think there's lettuce and basil there too. We have a few carrots coming up, like so few I don't need to worry about thinning them. The new sunny beds have tomatoes and cucumbers--several varieties. And as someone mentioned above, this will be the best garden in years because dh has time to tend it.

• Like 1

I have some pots for herbs on the front porch, cilantro, oregano, and basil. I also have 4 small raised beds on the side yard. My mesclun was put in mid March and now bolted. I am still getting a bit of butter lettuce. My cauliflower was bought as plants also in March and my heads are growing steady, they are well past the supposed harvest date but it has been crazy wet this year. My chard was grown from seed and hasn't been doing well at all which is disappointing as I can't buy it locally and love the taste. 

IN my 3 other beds we tried some older seeds but nothing came up, not sure if I finally have to replace them or if the wet spring drown them. I finally went with plants- tomato (roma, beefsteak, and cherry), squash, and cucumber.

I also have a thornless blackberry bush that is covered in blooms and some grapes that are doing well. I need to check again on the fruit trees, mostly the animals steal the fruit before we get to them. I have blueberry plants but they don't seem to like my soil and never produce, I need to work on ammending it.

• Like 1

So far the only things I actually have planted in the ground are flowers but my veggies are all well on their way since my family owns a greenhouse business and my plants get to grow there until I have time to plant.  Plus this year, I'm trying to get a fence on the one unfenced side of my yard because I am absolutely fed up with the rabbits so while working on that project and digging up the sod for a second raised bed, I haven't had much time for the actually planting yet.  But I've got carrots, parsnips and kale in paks ready to plant and my dozen bell peppers are here as well.  Yesterday was too hot and today is too raining.  Friday we have to pack order for Saturday's pick ups.  Saturday I get to stay home and hand out orders to customers so I will be working on planting while waiting for people to show up.  I did discover I have about 15 volunteer arugula and probably a dozen dill, which is good because I forgot to claim both of those before we sold out for the year so it was a happy surprise to discover I still had them.  My dozen poblano peppers and 30-40 tomato plants are still at the greenhouse waiting for me to transport them home.  I've been bringing so many orders for people to pick up from my house that I haven't had space for my own.  I also have a jalapeno pepper, cucumbers and a zucchini waiting for me yet.  Radishes are growing in my pepper pots.  I'll have to get them pulled soon so I can get the peppers planted.  I'm sure there will be some other random things go in at the end.  Typically whatever doesn't sell gets dropped at my house and I stick it wherever I find room.  That late in the season means they don't produce that well but since the plants would go in the garbage otherwise, anything they produce is a bonus.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

I gave in today and bought plants from the hardware store. I was so proud of all my seedlings (and the cost savings!) but it's time to admit defeat. Hopefully these guys do better. 

I gave up on doing seedlings a couple of years ago.  I mean, I really do like starting seeds myself, and I have had plants from seed that produce food.  But my reality is that purchased plants do SO much better.  Most years I would have to replace 1/4 to 1/2 of my seedlings with purchased plants, and replant and it was just too much hassle.  

• Like 1

We have a berry area in our garden.  We have 2 blackberry bushes and we are training them on a wire this year.  We have 6 blueberry bushes and 4 raspberry.  

We have several beds of various tomatoes.  A bed of yellow squash and zucchini.  A bed of various peppers.  We have a long bed with pole beans and 2 cucumber trellises.  Dh has an asapargus box, but it's past time for those now. 

I have 2 beds of cutting flowers.  The glads are doing fantastic, but my annuals are not coming up 😞  I may have to replant them.

In some spare space in the garden I have a row of sunflowers.  

We do have an herb box with similar items.  We do have cilantro and mint as well.  I love dill, but I don't think we have it this year.  Dh planted some garlic in there as well.

It's always fun till about August when it seems to go wild and it's hard to keep up with everything.

• Like 1

Most of the garden is planted.  The lettuce and kale is doing fantastic. We have 40 tomato plants (including a white tomato that sounded neat), 42 cucumber plants, 30 broccoli plants, 30 bell pepper plants, 18 popcorn type corn, 18 corn, a ton of peas and green bean plants, 3 watermelon plants, 2 honeydew and one cantaloupe. And DD has 53 pumpkin plants.  The blueberry bushes and black raspberry bushes have a ton of baby fruit on them. My space is not much so we maximize it. 

I don’t remember who was talking mint but that DD thing.  She has lemon mint, chocolate mint, orange mint, spearmint, peppermint, strawberry mint, basil mint, banana mint and some other specialty mints. They are all in pots so they don’t go everywhere. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Most of the garden is planted.  The lettuce and kale is doing fantastic. We have 40 tomato plants (including a white tomato that sounded neat), 42 cucumber plants, 30 broccoli plants, 30 bell pepper plants, 18 popcorn type corn, 18 corn, a ton of peas and green bean plants, 3 watermelon plants, 2 honeydew and one cantaloupe. And DD has 53 pumpkin plants.  The blueberry bushes and black raspberry bushes have a ton of baby fruit on them. My space is not much so we maximize it. 

I don’t remember who was talking mint but that DD thing.  She has lemon mint, chocolate mint, orange mint, spearmint, peppermint, strawberry mint, basil mint, banana mint and some other specialty mints. They are all in pots so they don’t go everywhere. 

Holy moly!  FORTY toms?  Forty Two cukes?  Fifty three pumpkin?  There's NO way we could consume all that.  As it is, with 6 toms (including my volunteer) I don't know if I am going to have time to process all of the toms.  

Does your DD like the chocolate mint?  I am thinking maybe I will go with that.  Does it have any chocolate notes, or is it just a darker leaf?

Oh, and, I would love to hear about the white tomato when you get some fruit from it!  I like differently colored produce than what is typically in the stores, so I am always looking for something new and interesting.  

Just now, happysmileylady said:

Holy moly!  FORTY toms?  Forty Two cukes?  Fifty three pumpkin?  There's NO way we could consume all that.  As it is, with 6 toms (including my volunteer) I don't know if I am going to have time to process all of the toms.  

Does your DD like the chocolate mint?  I am thinking maybe I will go with that.  Does it have any chocolate notes, or is it just a darker leaf?

Oh, and, I would love to hear about the white tomato when you get some fruit from it!  I like differently colored produce than what is typically in the stores, so I am always looking for something new and interesting.  

I can a ton of it so we have it over winter. The pumpkins if all survive, can be stored in the cold area of the basement.  

The chocolate mint has a light chocolate taste but you can smell it stronger to me . The leaves are darker than most of her mint. We love mint tea so I make a lot.  

I will let you know in the white tomato.  It sounded neat and I like variety so it came home with me.  It is an heirloom variety. 

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Something stole all my parsley.  Seems to have left everything else alone.  Anyone know of a creature that is partial to parsley? 

It would be too early for this where we live, but parsley and all it's relatives are attractive to swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. We had tons of them last year, but we'd never had them before. 

We didn't plan anything super special, but we are trying several varieties of potatoes this year. We had one or two plants a few years ago that we didn't really do right by. I am hoping these go better--we had a few spuds with long eyes on them in the cupboards at just the right time to be planted.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pen said:

Probably the squirrels.  They like to just pull up an random plant here and relocate it somewhere.  

So, the rest of the veggie bed is prepped.  I am hoping to get everything else in before it starts raining, which is around 1ish.  Turns out, I have more room than I thought, so I am going to leave all the broccoli and cauliflower.  However, the lettuce is definitely getting ready to bolt.  It's gonna come out, if not today, tomorrow.  

Just a ridiculous vent of sorts.
I skipped a few years of gardening, mostly because we’ve always been hoping to move “soon”, and I didn’t want to put a whole bunch of time and money into fixing it up better.  Now, we’re *actually trying to move (if dh’s job holds steady these next few months) and we went and increased the garden anyway.  All those missed years. Sigh.
And of course my kids work at a farm selling plants, and I can’t resist checking each new batch. So now I have my main beds and just keep shoving random plants in random areas outside because I have too many for my actual garden.
It should be an interesting summer.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

OMG that's HUGE!  You didn't name it Audrey did you?

My husband suggested the same thing.  That bed is heading towards epic proportions and I have people already lined up to receive the extras.  

I don't even eat squash.

We can't start seeds very well due to a 1 year old whose ability to get into things far outstrips his ability to understand. We planted seeds directly in the ground, which has worked before when a different toddler was a problem, but this year either almost all our seeds were bad or a creature came right behind us. I was going for dramatic plants since I have little kids and this is more for entertainment and education than food, We planted corn, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, sunflowers, lettuce, peppers, broccoli, and onions. We have a few corn plants, one cantaloupe, a good crop of lettuce, and decent sunflowers and onions. We also have 3 good looking volunteer tomato plants and a bunch of tiny ones that just came with the recent warm rain. We have sage and mint and then lots of blackberries and blueberries. These are right by the street (quiet cul-de-sac) so I need to put out a sign reminding walkers that these are blackberries, not raspberries, and they really don't want to sample the red ones.

• Sad 1
22 hours ago, Pen said:

Probably rabbits.  That and cilantro could make my bunnies commit murder for the chance at them 😒

Okay I’M SO JEALOUS.  I want to garden.  I swear I do.  But our local extension site was kind of confusing and I just don’t know where to begin.  Assume someone grew up paying a gardener and then living in an entirely natural arboreal yard... how might they learn how and what and when to plant in, say, a suburb of southwestern Ohio.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay I’M SO JEALOUS.  I want to garden.  I swear I do.  But our local extension site was kind of confusing and I just don’t know where to begin.  Assume someone grew up paying a gardener and then living in an entirely natural arboreal yard... how might they learn how and what and when to plant in, say, a suburb of southwestern Ohio.

Well, you could do a container garden.  Wouldn't require a lot of work to set up (shoot, I have a bunch of pots to get rid of lol.  You could have them if you want.)  I think prepping an actual in the ground plot in your yard would take quite a bit of work.  If not a container garden, at least some sort of raised bed.

As far as what to grow...if you are starting now, stuff like zukes, cukes, toms, peppers are the things to put in.  Stuff like lettuce, broccoli, cabbages, those are cooler weather plants, so they go in early spring, like early April or even late March.  

ETA: I am very far from an expert, so probably not the best person to be giving advice lol.  Most years that I garden, we get enough to supplement our grocery  shopping, but not really replace it.  

Edited by happysmileylady

Anyway, managed to get the rest of the plants in before the rain.   Now I just have to get the lettuce out and then I can put a few more toms in where the lettuce was.  That probably won’t happen till Sunday though.  

5513D751-1563-410B-BDA8-3511E397FB63.jpeg

1641FF09-B341-470D-91A0-07A64C5C0E3C.jpeg

• Like 4

Everything is coming up as nicely as can be expected, given that just a few days ago we had weather in the mid-60s and now we are in the high 90s and and it’s supposed to get back into the low 60s next week.  

75284BB4-6A28-40FD-B623-57B8F14705DE.jpeg

A61A8D0B-0061-4941-9FBA-75E668329908.jpeg

9BDDB376-2390-4929-97E6-9D11557EAF1A.jpeg

EB16D6A8-41C7-49DD-B3B3-013B744C0649.jpeg

5B4A2116-3725-4C54-A496-B209A62D7D84.jpeg

048E8BF7-D574-43BB-8047-A1657E09DDDD.jpeg

7DEC8FC8-F301-412C-94D0-E96947039D8C.jpeg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Start with ONE small box.  4x4 or 3x3.  Raised bed with raised bed soil.  Then, you put in easy stuff and see what grows for you without coddling. Don't want to build a box?  make a frame with cinder blocks.  Plant a few herbs and a few salad plants that you like to eat.  

Two helpful things that I was told that I actually remember:

1. Admire big gardens but plant small ones.

2.  If you don't kill a few plants you're not pushing yourself as a gardener.

I'm pretty sure #2 was from here. 😄

square_foot.jpg

• Haha 2

Yeah DH refuses to build me any beds, we just don’t have the time or materials money this year while we are doing so much inside. I can work with containers or the existing ground though, I just don’t know how and my last two attempts at a container garden failed big.

7 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah DH refuses to build me any beds, we just don’t have the time or materials money this year while we are doing so much inside. I can work with containers or the existing ground though, I just don’t know how and my last two attempts at a container garden failed big.

Try the fabric grow bags.  They are excellent.  I use them for my lettuce, potatoes and strawberries. Gardeners.com, amazon, and some Walmart have them. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Two helpful things that I was told that I actually remember:

1. Admire big gardens but plant small ones.

2.  If you don't kill a few plants you're not pushing yourself as a gardener.

I'm pretty sure #2 was from here. 😄

Ok, these are SO totally true! lol

33 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Anyone here grown potatoes?

I am growing potatoes for the first time this year. They have just started leafing out.

Anyone here a zucchini growing expert?? I bought 3 plant starts of Cocozelle Italian zucchini. Two of them are vining out like pumpkin plants do (which is very strange and is messing up my garden bed) but the 3rd one has a bush type habit and have white markings on the leaf. I am not sure if there was a mess up with the growers mislabeling them or if this is normal to zucchini plants. Of course, if they fruited, I would know what they actually are, but, I have only been getting male blossoms on them so far.