Menu

Did you know there is a bicycle shortage???

Just Kate

Dd (12) just learned to ride a bike. Well, she actually learned when she was around 5 or 6, but she wrecked once and that was it. No bike riding for her! I suggested that she try again several times over the years but finally just gave up, as she absolutely refuses. She now happens to have a friend who lives in a connecting neighborhood of my parents, and due to the quarantine, the girls are only allowed to socialize outside at a distance. The friend has a bike, so dd decided that she wanted to learn! After two days on my old, uncomfortable bike, she did it! My dad offered to buy her a new bike, but none are to be found. My Walmart is practically empty of bikes and when searching online, there are very few available (and those that are available have crazy ship dates!). Wonder what’s going on? Are bicycles the new toilet paper???

ETA - photo of my Walmart today when I learned that there really is a bicycle shortage

15B5AE18-DD5E-48D9-9B60-5BA0741F0BC8.jpeg

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 2

Yep. I know a few people that used this time to learn or teach their kids to ride bikes or just get back into it.

My 20 yo ds came into town last weekend. I offered to buy a video game controller so he could play with 17 yo ds while he was home (we only have one controller I guess). We went to Target and GameStop and got pretty much laughed at thinking we could buy a controller these days. 

• Like 2

Yes,  we have some extra broken old bikes in our garage that Ds uses to keep the rest of our bikes going.  One of our neighbors wants our extra functioning  bike and asks for it.......ummmmm. strongly hints..... every time she sees me.  I would sell it to her except my bike is thirty years old and makes groaning noises as I ride it.  I refuse to be without a bike when I bought the extra so I could switch when my old faithful bike dies......it was super discounted.  We are riding our bikes daily........btw, neighbor has a bike that she doesn’t like,  she wants mine!

We actually hunted for her and REI had the only very expensive bikes in our area about a month ago.

• Like 2

I got a new used one last fall and some gear for Christmas. I’m concerned that since it has become more popular that our favorite trails are going to be that much more crowded when we start venturing out again. Last fall if we biked on a weekday afternoon, we could have some places almost to ourselves. I mean it’s great that people are exercising and enjoying the outdoors, but I love not having to dodge dogs and family groups riding across the trails rather than single file. Here’s an article on the shortage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html

One place to check if you are interested in a used bike is bicycle rental and touring places. That’s where I got my last fall after renting it for the day to make sure I liked it. I was planning to buy new but wanted to thoroughly try one out first. It turned out to be a lucky coincidence that the rental shop was getting ready to sell a batch, including mine.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

Yes, bc we were going to get them for our kids, but all the affordable ones have been gone since week 2 of the shutdown.

With only $400+ ones left, we cannot afford them. 

Walmart and other places with affordable ones are out and or backordered til fall.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Sad 1

We are avid cyclists and commuters so we frequent the local shop. They had record sales, since opening decades ago, in March.  They are also backed up by weeks in fixing and maintaining bikes people bring in, consequental  DS now has his dream job. 🙂

• Like 8

Yes.  If you're willing to go used it hasn't been hard to find a bike though.  DD had a growth spurt and their were plenty of bikes on marketplace and Craigslist to choose from.  The real bike shops also have plenty of bikes but they tend to be the more expensive ones.

I heard this in March from a friend that works for a high end bike company.   Sales where so high.  You don't want a Walmart bike anyway.  Go on CL and look for a Trek or Giant.  Pools are another thing that are sold out.   We just gave away a bunch of bikes,  they went really fast.

• Like 3

We timed some things well this year. Youngest took an outdoor recreation class for PE fall semester and needed a bike--got one in September. Then a computer for her birthday in December. Then a little desk and chair for her in February. All much used and appreciated now. I can't imagine life if she and I were still trying to share my computer.

Dh was struggling with my meager collection of little dumbbells. Two 5 pounders, two 8 pounders, one 10 pound. In March or April he found and ordered just one 15 pound and one 25 pound (they came a month or so after he ordered them). I kept trying to find him a matched set for his birthday last weekend, but he did better than me and found a pair of 20 pounders through Walmart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Yep. I've been trying to anticipate what's next. And buy it whatever it is.

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

It’s so crazy! I do wonder what will be next??

We just drove 2 miles to our nearby Target to buy a cold mist humidifier. Those are running low in stock as well.

• Like 2

Yep! My oldest was recently hired to work on the retail side of a small bike shop because the owners are so busy repairing bikes! Their reasonably-priced bikes are selling out as quickly as they come in, so they've started refurbishing used bikes to meet the demand. 

Edited by Megbo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Check your local fb marketplace or other local ads....even plac a wanted ad.   You might get a much higher quality used bike vs a new one 

Our Facebook Marketplace has lots of bikes for sale. I have a kids bike that I've been thinking about selling though and now might be a good time to list it.

It figures: supply from China is low, people are looking to exercise in the summer while social distancing and lastly, many people want to avoid public transportation and go to work in bicycles when workplaces open up. I am waiting for a bike for my son from our local bike shop which says that it will take them until August to get new shipments in and the one I ordered is not even made in china (perhaps it uses Chinese parts which are in short supply?).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Yes,  we have some extra broken old bikes in our garage that Ds uses to keep the rest of our bikes going.  One of our neighbors wants our extra functioning  bike and asks for it.......ummmmm. strongly hints..... every time she sees me.  I would sell it to her except my bike is thirty years old and makes groaning noises as I ride it.  I refuse to be without a bike when I bought the extra so I could switch when my old faithful bike dies......it was super discounted.  We are riding our bikes daily........btw, neighbor has a bike that she doesn’t like,  she wants mine!

We actually hunted for her and REI had the only very expensive bikes in our area about a month ago.

Don’t cave! If you’re feeling feisty, meet it head-on next time she “hints” at wanting the bike. You can just tell her what you’ve said here, i.e., “I get the feeling you’re suggesting you could buy my extra bike but, just so you know, I don’t intend to sell it. It’s needed when mine gives out and mine is on it’s last legs.” 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, angelaguptathomas said:

I have recently started mountain biking along with the road biking I usually do and what fun!

I can understand why biking during this time has become a much sought after activity:)

It is hopping in our area too.  I LOVE seeing the bike paths so busy.  Last year I was often the only one there.

If you can afford it, especially for teens that are done growing, a good quality bike shop bike (even used) is worth the added cost in durability, ease of riding, etc.  I am frugal to the core but did buy each of us, over time, a good quality bike that will last  for 20+ years.

The added benefit is that you have a lot more frame sizes at a bike shop.   My 4'10" daughter was able to get an extra small frame but 26" wheels so easier for her to keep up with us.  

You can also look for used bikes made by trek, giant, specialized, etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Don’t cave! If you’re feeling feisty, meet it head-on next time she “hints” at wanting the bike. You can just tell her what you’ve said here, i.e., “I get the feeling you’re suggesting you could buy my extra bike but, just so you know, I don’t intend to sell it. It’s needed when mine gives out and mine is on it’s last legs.” 

Oh we have all told her really clearly.......including my kids.  She has hit us all up for the bike.   She just wants what she wants........living next door to her is a challenge for me.  My husband finds her hilarious.  My kids are learning.........she is so far beyond the British politeness which they were raised surrounded by.  The first dozen or so no’s mean nothing.......😠.  

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

A friend of mine who shops a lot is predicting that the next wave of shortage will be in clothing. She says that some styles and sizes are hard to find already. 

What kind of clothing?  I normally never buy clothing online, but I will admit to buying more yoga pants and tick-resistant shirts for this new lifestyle... lol.

I'm not worried about a sudden shortage of dressy clothes...

Just now, Matryoshka said:

What kind of clothing?  I normally never buy clothing online, but I will admit to buying more yoga pants and tick-resistant shirts for this new lifestyle... lol.

I'm not worried about a sudden shortage of dressy clothes...

dressy clothes ... She specifically mentioned women's tops, formal pants etc. I am not too worried about that as well because I have enough and I don't go out these days 😉

On 5/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, Momto6inIN said:

Unicycles too. The first one I ordered on Amazon for DD's bday couldn't be delivered for months. We did get one, but there weren't many in stock. 

We have two extra lying around in our storage room!  🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

dressy clothes ... She specifically mentioned women's tops, formal pants etc. I am not too worried about that as well because I have enough and I don't go out these days 😉

Where are people wearing these things??  Especially formal pants, lol - don't need those for Zoom! 😂  I'm pretty much living in workout clothes or gardening clothes.  The rest of my wardrobe is seeing little enough wear that it should last me!

32 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

A friend of mine who shops a lot is predicting that the next wave of shortage will be in clothing. She says that some styles and sizes are hard to find already. 

My size has always been hard to find in the adult section 😂

I have clothes NWTs on standby from last year’s Nordstrom Rack sales courtesy of my husband’s love for bargain hunting there. Spare shoes, overcoats too.

22 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

8 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Where are people wearing these things??  Especially formal pants, lol - don't need those for Zoom! 😂  I'm pretty much living in workout clothes or gardening clothes.  The rest of my wardrobe is seeing little enough wear that it should last me!

Apple and Google are getting some of their WFH staff back to office. Maybe people lose or gain weight during shelter in place and need new formal clothing.

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe people lose or gain weight during shelter in place and need new formal clothing.

@Matryoshka This the main reason, I think. Some have gained weight due to the shutdown and some have lost weight. Both are reasons for them to hoard new clothes! And if more businesses open up (as we are seeing locally) then people need formal clothes to show up at work. (most of the dentist offices in my area are open and so are several small businesses).

Edited by mathnerd

5 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

We might have this one in storage soon too ... it's hard to learn and she's getting frustrated! 🙄

My kids struggled to learn...  And one day, it just clicked!  I'm thinking it took them a couple of weeks of trying everyday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sassenach said:

My mom works in the RV business and she says it is BOOMING right now. 

THAT makes sense! I wish we had one. Being able to travel and not use public restrooms, etc would be HUGE right now. 

Honestly, we may consider renting one at some point. I feel okay about spraying one down to clean it. 

I'm hoping that along the same lines, people shift from hotel stays to timeshares for vacation...but that is just a selfish hope as my DH works for a giant company that sells/manages them. He's currently on partial furlough, for obvious reasons, but we worry he could be let go depending on how long this goes on. 

Edited by Ktgrok