Menu

Semester Long Government Class Using Crash Course?

I'm having my rising 10th graders do a .5 credit American Government course over 8 weeks this summer. I am using the Annenberg learner course, which has great readings and videos with discussion points. On alternating days we are watching the Crash Course videos to break up the blocks of reading time. We are one week in, but I'm loving it. We may need to cut back on the reading slightly, since not everyone shares my enthusiasm and reading stamina. I also have a few things from icivics planned. I'm not trying to coordinate the topics between Annenberg and CC. I don't anticipate that being an issue.

• Like 3

You could line topics up with this review course: https://acdcecon.thinkific.com/courses/AP-government-urp

You could do an every-other-day kind of thing with Crash Course. We'll probably do the review course, some readings and some sort of mock-government. Dd is kind of government buff, anyhow. ETA- I have an AP government textbook on my shelf already, but I'm sure there are lots of options.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a syllabus for an 18-week Government course (last week study/take Final) which uses Crash Course, iCivics, textbook and oodles of fantastic movies. I provided options for a basic class along with an Honors track with two text options. I can send it via email to anyone who is interested. My students really loved it as it was more application of concepts instead of just typical text reading/testing. My younger dc even got involved with the iCivics "Do I Have a Right?" simulation.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 2:51 AM, BakersDozen said:

I have a syllabus for an 18-week Government course (last week study/take Final) which uses Crash Course, iCivics, textbook and oodles of fantastic movies. I provided options for a basic class along with an Honors track with two text options. I can send it via email to anyone who is interested. My students really loved it as it was more application of concepts instead of just typical text reading/testing. My younger dc even got involved with the iCivics "Do I Have a Right?" simulation.

I messaged you.  I would love your syllabus. 

I am messaging you now.  I would love this also.  Thanks so much!

On 5/30/2020 at 8:51 PM, BakersDozen said:

Yes please! I'll message you as well. Thanks!!

On 5/29/2020 at 2:59 PM, PeachyDoodle said:

There are some resources for Crash Course on TpT. Not sure if any of those would work for you.

I saw that. It sounded like they were just worksheets to go along with the videos which isn't exactly what I wanted. I want a course with some depth but Crash Course for a little fun. Thanks though!

On 5/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, SusanC said:

I'm having my rising 10th graders do a .5 credit American Government course over 8 weeks this summer. I am using the Annenberg learner course, which has great readings and videos with discussion points. On alternating days we are watching the Crash Course videos to break up the blocks of reading time. We are one week in, but I'm loving it. We may need to cut back on the reading slightly, since not everyone shares my enthusiasm and reading stamina. I also have a few things from icivics planned. I'm not trying to coordinate the topics between Annenberg and CC. I don't anticipate that being an issue.

Which course are you using? Democracy in America?

15 hours ago, crl said:

My daughter is using http://www.startsateight.com/uncle-eric-books-lesson-plan/. They use 2 "Uncle Eric" books and crash course videos to got with them.

Thank you! This is also an idea worth pursuing for sure! Are you using just the two books or the student study guides as well?

In looking over the lesson plans, I see final exam--is that something in the student guide or something created by Starts at Eight?

Edited by shburks

On 6/3/2020 at 10:45 PM, shburks said:

Thank you! This is also an idea worth pursuing for sure! Are you using just the two books or the student study guides as well?

In looking over the lesson plans, I see final exam--is that something in the student guide or something created by Starts at Eight?

We do have the student guides and the final exam is in the student guide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, BakersDozen said:

@BakersDozenWould you be so kind to share your syllabus?

"I have a syllabus for an 18-week Government course (last week study/take Final) which uses Crash Course, iCivics, textbook and oodles of fantastic movies. I provided options for a basic class along with an Honors track with two text options. I can send it via email to anyone who is interested. My students really loved it as it was more application of concepts instead of just typical text reading/testing. My younger dc even got involved with the iCivics "Do I Have a Right?" simulation".

My email is lcates@sisd.org

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

@BakersDozen I PMed you.

• 5 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:51 AM, BakersDozen said:

I joined the forums specifically to ask if this would be something you would be willing to share?  I'm a noob here, so I can't message you.

Carrie

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, BakersDozen said:

Can I also get a copy? Thank you so much!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 11:01 PM, shburks said:

I'm looking for a semester long government class that perhaps uses Crash Course and a spine already prepped and ready to go! Does anyone know of such a thing or has anyone created something like this?

disregard --- I should have read the whole thread. I can't figure out how to delete the post. 

Edited by MagistraKennedy