Menu

Age-appropriate anatomy pics

Would you be comfortable showing your 7 year old son a diagram like the one linked below? It's the top left diagram on the female chart, in particular, that DH and I are discussing.

This came up because, in the context of a discussion about bladders and how urine exits the body, DS7 became curious about exactly what it looks like on females. The books we have readily available to them are similar to "It's Not the Stork". They do show what's there, but it's not very life-like. Others show detailed internal pics, but not external. So he asked to see more detail. 

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Reproductive-System-Anatomical-Charts/dp/B07VGQ2KM4/ref=sr_1_58_sspa?crid=ZO8SWB43ELI8&dchild=1&keywords=female+anatomy+model&qid=1590538261&sprefix=model+of+female%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-58-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWlYwWUcwU1BEUlZNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM0OTE5MVhMNjgwSU9ZUzhJMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODUxMjM4MkpUT1UzQ1pXREYwOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by Jentrovert
clarity

Yes.  Without hesitation.  These images feel really clinical, and not at all sexualized.  We've been very forthright about sex-ed with our kids (both boys).  They've seen illustrations very much like that one, and probably at an even younger age.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, that is reassuring. I wasn't at all hesitant about pulling these out either. They're life-like enough to be accurate but, as you said, really clinical. We've been very open too, but for some reason he was unable to explain DH was at first uncomfortable with these. I wondered if I were missing some obvious misstep.

6 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I once taught a student who had twin toddler siblings, a boy and a girl.  We were reading a book where there was a baby born at home (Little House on the Prairie?  I'm not certain) and the child asked how the mom could know what "kind" of baby she had if there wasn't a doctor to tell her.  I asked for a little more information and it became clear that her parents made certain she was out of the room any time the boy was bathed or changed.  She was horrified when I asked it, and assured me that of course she would NEVER peek at her little brother, but somehow had no idea that things might be different.  

All I could say was "well if you're still curious, ask your mom".  

Wow. We're extremely relaxed about nudity. (It's the actual look and placement of the urethra, vagina, and anus that DS was curious about.) I can't really imagine being so careful that the kids would never have seen each other, even if I had desired that. 

• 2 weeks later...