Menu

Studying Broadway Musicals

I have a daughter who will be a Sophomore next year and she is obsessed with Broadway Musicals. Does anybody know of a course she could get credit for studying musicals? I would love to create something but I don’t have a clue how to make a high school course.

• Like 2

What an awesome idea!  I have a rising 9th grader who is equally obsessed with musicals.  All of her playlists are songs from musicals.  I didn't think there was another teen out there like her.  It never occurred to me to create a course around this interest.  I'm going to have to think about it and see if I can generate any ideas.  Musicals are completely out of any frame of reference for me.

She is incredibly disappointed bc we were supposed to take her to see Anastasia for her 15th bday. 😞 

My 17yo dad loves musicals as well.  Hamilton is her current obsession.  We were planning a trip to see Hamilton related points of interest this spring.  I don’t know that I am talented enough to come up with a class about musicals either, but I can’t wait to hear ideas.

I did a quick search and didn't find any curriculum, but I think you could absolutely put together a class!

I think that it would be similar to putting together a literature course. 

Study some works

Study some composers

Study some actors

Study some themes

Study some design elements

ETA: Study the history of musical theater

Edited by Junie

I would love to do that. My boys have never shared my interest but finally with my 12 yo dd I have a theater companion.

I took a half credit drama class at Catholic school back in the day. It really was a study of theater (not acting or doing any kind of performance art). We ready plays and watched musicals. I think it is a totally worthy study and I tried to persuade my non-artsy boys to do it as an elective and to satisfy a fine arts requirement but they were never interested.

I feel like I saw that Homeschool Connections offered a class on musicals? Not saying you should take the class but you could read the description for ideas. 

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

This is a good lecture series.  It's very heavy on the early history.  Dc enjoyed it.

PBS has a 6-hour video documentary series Broadway: The American Musical, which also is the title of a related book by Michael Kantor and Laurence Maslon.  We were able to get both from the library.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, Broadway: The American Musical is on youtube, as I found after our library discs were defective.  This is something we've held for summers, are still in early stages with, and so are listening in on this thread for other goodies. Thanks to all contributors! --LL

• Like 1