Menu

How many masks needed for a college student?

Kassia

My youngest child just graduated from high school and this is the first time I have to add masks to the dorm packing list.  I think I should send a lot of masks with her since she'll be out every day (even if classes are online, she'd have to go to the dining hall to pick up food) and I don't want her to have to do laundry all the time.  DH, who is supportive of masks, thinks she won't need many, although he hasn't said what he thinks she'll do without enough to last between washings.  

How many masks do you think is a reasonable number to send?  With my older kids, I always sent them enough stuff to last two weeks between laundry days.  

I assume you are sending homemade masks. I would send eight if your daughter’s dorm room is going to be sunny, since she can sun them in the room and reuse if she forgets to do laundry. 

When I live in a college dorm, many of us have 30 T-shirts so that we would have clean clothes even if we forgot to do laundry 😂 I think 30 would be a little extreme for masks but 15 would be good. 

Honestly I would gauge by socks. I would send more masks than the number of pairs of socks you would send with your daughter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I assume you are sending homemade masks. I would send eight if your daughter’s dorm room is going to be sunny, since she can sun them in the room and reuse if she forgets to do laundry. 

When I live in a college dorm, many of us have 30 T-shirts so that we would have clean clothes even if we forgot to do laundry 😂 I think 30 would be a little extreme for masks but 15 would be good. 

Honestly I would gauge by socks. I would send more masks than the number of pairs of socks you would send with your daughter.

I laugh and yet this is so true. I bought clothes (on credit) instead of doing laundry. I'd send at least one for each day of the week, twice that if you can manage it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

LOL, my daughter refuses to wear socks so that won't work!  Underwear, yes!  Socks, no...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I'd send at least one for each day of the week, twice that if you can manage it.

That's what I was thinking - enough for two weeks, but DH looked at me like I was nuts even though he didn't have another solution.  

• Haha 1

We have about 6 per person and a little bin to put dirty ones in to be washed. (I wash them with dish towels and dishcloths on sanitize setting.)  I would also agree with the two weeks worth.  Worse case, she has many to chose from to match her clothes.

• Like 2

I'd probably send 8ish. I'd tell her she can always take one into the shower with her to wash with soap and water and hang to dry in her room if she doesn't want to do laundry. 

Of course, I was that college student who did laundry regularly, so my perspective is probably off!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I love this idea!  

Oh shoot...is this where I admit that the idea is sort of courtesy of my mom? Our oldest is only almost 10, so I thought, "how many would my mom send?" And, truthfully, my mom would send maybe 3, with the advice above. She wouldn't even be above sending only 2 and expecting me to do that every day.

Then again, when my oldest sister was born my parents lived in a rental house/apartment in the country, with no laundry facilities. And this was before disposable diapers were a thing, so she was washing by hand as women have done forever and hanging to dry around the apartment (no money for a drying rack). So to do this would be NBD in her mind.

And I am nothing if not her daughter!

• Like 4

I was thinking 21. 3 per day for a week. I was thinking for my own job I would probably put on a new mask after I eat lunch. If you also do stuff at night, that could be 3 per day. My coworker was saying she just leaves a used mask out for a few days--the virus doesn't live that long, so she figures it's good to go again later in the week. I could see college students adopting this philosophy. I throw them in the laundry after 1 use. I make masks, so having plenty is easy.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Oh shoot...is this where I admit that the idea is sort of courtesy of my mom? Our oldest is only almost 10, so I thought, "how many would my mom send?" And, truthfully, my mom would send maybe 3, with the advice above. She wouldn't even be above sending only 2 and expecting me to do that every day.

Then again, when my oldest sister was born my parents lived in a rental house/apartment in the country, with no laundry facilities. And this was before disposable diapers were a thing, so she was washing by hand as women have done forever and hanging to dry around the apartment (no money for a drying rack). So to do this would be NBD in her mind.

And I am nothing if not her daughter!

Not for college, but I bought my dd 2 so one could be washed and hung to dry while she wore the other. (blushing) Perhaps I have taken frugality and minimalism a bit too far?

I was thinking I'd buy more once we see how comfortable this style is, then adjust if needed. Honest!

• Like 1

If she can soap and water hand wash as she brushes her teeth each evening I’d start her on 12– enough for 3- 4 change outs per day and figuring two days is enough for hand washed one to dry hanging or laid out .  If circumstances won’t allow that then....  

hmmm 16— a bit more than enough for 3 or 4 per day for a few days, and where either just time will help any viruses to be de activated when they are left each day’s in a numbered paper bag till rewearing when supply runs out  later in the week— and then machine washing every week or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

I was thinking 21. 3 per day for a week. I was thinking for my own job I would probably put on a new mask after I eat lunch. If you also do stuff at night, that could be 3 per day. My coworker was saying she just leaves a used mask out for a few days--the virus doesn't live that long, so she figures it's good to go again later in the week. I could see college students adopting this philosophy. I throw them in the laundry after 1 use. I make masks, so having plenty is easy.

I have three masks total.

I am not going out everyday -- but I may well end up reusing masks before they can air out if I start going into work.  They don't wash well in the washer at all so I've been trying to minimize that.

• Like 1

*IF* you make or buy a mask with a filter pocket you can help with the dampness too by swapping out the filter. I have found the non-woven fabrics absorb a little more moisture before becoming uncomfortable. That said, I only wear mine for 2 hours at a time to grocery shop.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Just time alone tends to inactivate the virus, unless it is very cold.

Otoh sun for UV probably does it much faster, but needs to be without glass afaik.  Plastic and glass tend to interfere with UV iirc.

So I think they would need sun in an open window.  Or am I wrong on that?

I'm probably sending way too many with my dd - and I'm also sending extras in various sizes that she can hand out to people who only brought one or two. 

My thoughts are to send her, personally, with 20-25. They take up so little space and she will be free to change them as often as she wants/needs to. She has a flawless, but sensitive, complexion and I imagine wearing masks constantly to the point of dampness will cause her a world of trouble. So - many masks it will be. 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Not for college, but I bought my dd 2 so one could be washed and hung to dry while she wore the other. (blushing) Perhaps I have taken frugality and minimalism a bit too far?

I was thinking I'd buy more once we see how comfortable this style is, then adjust if needed. Honest!

Ditto. I gave my DS24 two. I mean -- handwashing is effective and it's not hard or time consuming. But he's working from his apartment and not going out much. Even for a college kid I personally don't see any need at all for a bunch. My guess is most of them would just get lost, or tossed under the bed or something. But I'm also coming at it from the perspective of a minimalist, and as someone who buys masks, not someone who has a sewing machine and can knock one out in a few minutes for little cost.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

*IF* you make or buy a mask with a filter pocket you can help with the dampness too by swapping out the filter. I have found the non-woven fabrics absorb a little more moisture before becoming uncomfortable. That said, I only wear mine for 2 hours at a time to grocery shop.

I have found that the masks I make with what used to be a bed sheet as the interior fabric are much better at absorbing breathing moisture. They don’t get damp as readily. 

• Like 5

A lot depends on the person and what they’e doing. I send my dd to work with 3 for the day, in case they get wet or dirty or whatever. But,, so far, she’s only worn 1 per work shift.

I have at least 5 or 6 for myself, but I go out so infrequently that I’ve just been reusing one kept in my car because it sits there for several days! I don’t worry about sweat or anything like that because I haven’t yet worn it for more than 15 minutes tops.

Makeup use plays a roll, too. Dd still does full face makeup, so her masks get gross. I haven’t even bothered with mascara, never mind the rest.

I have several for my boys even though only one has left the house once so far, but I don’t doubt they’ll lose half of them eventually.

I know none of that is college related. Just trying to illustrate different comfort levels, needs, and personalities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It Might make a big difference where she will be (humidity, temperature...).  Our multilayer cotton homemade masks won’t hang dry overnight, in our cool damp ecoregion, and might even take two nights except in summer. Or in winter here, sometimes things tend not to hang dry well at all unless directly over a forced air heater register.

But maybe hers would dry overnight.  

Also Polyester masks might dry much faster than cotton. 

I think for moisture and contamination reasons, a mask might be needed before breakfast if she has activities then, another for between breakfast and lunch, another between lunch and dinner, and one for after dinner.  

But maybe fewer if she is in a single and doesn’t go out much. 

On the purchased masks thread several places are selling them for 5 for $25 or 10 for $50.  The place I posted has them for 3 for $30 or 4 for $40 depending on pack type. 

• Like 1

Wow- I'm thinking way more than any of you.
If in dorm, get up, walk to cafeteria to eat, return to room. (need mask) 
Stay in room for a while.
Walk to 1st class - sit through class, chat with friends, go to library to study, walk to next class, sit through class, walk to cafeteria to eat. (need mask - possibly could use the same one from breakfast), 
Return to room to pick up books for afternoon class and study session at UC (need a new mask because old one is wet and icky)
Leave room, attend class, walk to UC, study session. Walk to cafeteria for supper.
Return to room, get ready for evening activity (need new mask, last one also wet and icky)
Come back to room and go to bed. 

That's at least three masks for one day (probably four)!  And if you have three college students hanging up masks to dry every day in the bathroom area, that's going to get pretty full. 

So, I'd assume 3-4 masks per day (depending upon schedule of fall classes), multiple by 8 if my child were likely to do laundry once/week. I'd multiple by 15 if my child were likely to do laundry every other week. 

It's hot here in Texas. It will be hot in the fall too - at least for two more months. And if you walk outside and then back inside, you still will be sweating. If you walk outside between classes and continue wearing your mask, it's going to be pretty wet from sweat. 

Wow. I sent mine two. She keeps her window open a lot, so I figured wear it, leave it one the window sill when you wear the other one. She doesn't like the cloth masks because they for up her glasses more than the surgical type they give her at work.

If she asks for more, I'll send her more. For now, she'll likely make do with two for the fall. There will likely be a favorite style & I'll just wait to see what that is. (I cannot see her wearing a mask in her (single) dorm room or even her (four-room) suite. I assume they might be required when in the common areas though. Will we have enough PPE by then for the school to provide them?)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bambam said:

It's hot here in Texas. It will be hot in the fall too - at least for two more months. And if you walk outside and then back inside, you still will be sweating. If you walk outside between classes and continue wearing your mask, it's going to be pretty wet from sweat. 

She'll be in TX so I'll have to keep that in mind. 

Thanks to everyone for the great responses!  I'm glad I asked - this has been so helpful!  🙂  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, barnwife said:

I'd probably send 8ish. I'd tell her she can always take one into the shower with her to wash with soap and water and hang to dry in her room if she doesn't want to do laundry. 

Of course, I was that college student who did laundry regularly, so my perspective is probably off!

I was going to suggest this same thing.  I used to tell my kids before they began traveling/backpacking to not overpack...  And that the only thing you really need clean every day is underwear, but even those you can get by with minimal pairs by washing one in the shower with soap and water when you take a shower.  You can do the same with a mask!

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks most college students won’t bother with masks after the first 2 days?  Or are colleges requiring them for classes and cafeterias?  I know colleges are places where illnesses can spread quickly, but I can’t see students hanging out with friends in the dorm wearing masks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DD18 wears only one mask per shift when she is working at her fast food job, so I don't anticipate that she will change it often during the day. I think that most college students will only wear masks when the school requires it and will not wear them for socializing in the dorms. I don't like that idea, but I think that's how it will probably go, based on what I see going on around us now. If high school students are not wearing masks (and I think they are not, unless required), college students won't, either.

But I will still send plenty for DD18, as I mentioned in my previous post, because I also don't think she will do laundry often or would hand wash her masks. She is actually very good at doing laundry and taking care of her clothing at home, but I'm not counting on all of her good habits to persist in the dorms.

So I agree with you to a point, @athena1277 But I think that there will be required mask wearing in certain areas of most college campuses, so I think students will still wear them and need them outside the dorms.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Am I the only one who thinks most college students won’t bother with masks after the first 2 days?  Or are colleges requiring them for classes and cafeterias?  I know colleges are places where illnesses can spread quickly, but I can’t see students hanging out with friends in the dorm wearing masks.

Some here that have announced they will be back in person but with a new calendar are requiring them. I haven’t really seen it spelled out exactly what the requirements will be though. I assume for classes and maybe common areas.

I’m planning on sending way too many with my dc, especially youngest who will be in a dorm.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, athena1277 said:

It probably depends on the school environment.  If the college at least strongly encourages it, I'd suspect students would??  It might be required in certain settings too.  And of course local statistics at that time will help dictate it.  I'm sure they wouldn't wear them in their own dorm rooms.  In public spaces in a dorm?  Who knows.  I think time will be the guide.

• Like 2

Does she have any bandanas/scarves, etc that could be used as makeshift masks? We have both, and for things where it seems likely that we can socially distance, but just want a little protection in case someone gets close, can grab the latter. That would reduce the number of masks she needs. When we went through my scarf drawer and DD's drawers, we found quite a few from camps, kids activities, giveaways, etc. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pen said:

Just time alone tends to inactivate the virus, unless it is very cold.

Otoh sun for UV probably does it much faster, but needs to be without glass afaik.  Plastic and glass tend to interfere with UV iirc.

You are correct. We have a bearded dragon who needs UV and have to be careful of placement of the UV lamp so she gets what she nees. As you said -- even sunlight through a window is not adequate because of the window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I'm probably sending way too many with my dd - and I'm also sending extras in various sizes that she can hand out to people who only brought one or two. 

My thoughts are to send her, personally, with 20-25. They take up so little space and she will be free to change them as often as she wants/needs to. She has a flawless, but sensitive, complexion and I imagine wearing masks constantly to the point of dampness will cause her a world of trouble. So - many masks it will be. 🙂

My mother recommended using bra masks to wash the masks in -- will maybe help with the pilling I've been getting trying to wash and makes it easier to pluck out of the clothes after washing and before going into the dryer. (Where they shrink and dont fit as well)

• Like 3

Dd's school hasn't even said if they'll let undergrads on campus. One idea they're talking about is certain grades per quarter, like maybe freshmen and seniors fall and spring and sophomores and juniors winter and summer. Classes will be mostly online no matter what--there's no wearing a mask to lecture. It's a highly populated area that was considered a hot spot before the east coast blew up, and the university officials will take a conservative approach for sure, so I am positive that if students get to be on campus, masks will be required. I would expect students to obey outside of dorms. I would like to see dorms or parts of dorms (like a floor) to be considered a "family" area where masks can come off.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pen said:

I don’t think the windows needs to be opened, just not with blinds/shades down. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/10/18/658335490/grandma-was-right-sunshine-helps-kill-germs-indoors

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I also don't believe that the college students will bother with masks when they're just hanging out together. But the cafeteria, classrooms, libraries, etc might be requiring them for those areas. 

40 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I am surprised people are going to school now, especially if classes will be online. What is the benefit of living on campus?

Colleges in my state are planning to have in person classes. They’ve changed the calendars to start early August, have no days off, and be done with the semester by Thanksgiving. Then they’ll reevaluate for January. 

2 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I am surprised people are going to school now, especially if classes will be online. What is the benefit of living on campus?

My friend’s daughter’s college intends to have in-person tutorial and lab sessions. If things get worse, than tutorials will switch to online. Worse case would be they have to stop in-person labs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Some people don’t have access to Internet etc to do online classes from home. And though for many home may be calmer than campus, some people may have situations that would be too chaotic to study in. 

• Like 1

I would go with three dozen. I think re-wearing a mask not only exposes one to germs, but it can lead to acne, etc.  I like to change my mask throughout the day. After wearing mine for a few hours, it becomes damp on the inside with exhalations.  Add in sweating, spills with meals, etc. and I'd plan for three masks a day.  

Old Navy has some really nice color ways of fabric right now. Seeing that is making me give more thought to matching masks to wardrobe as a fashion choice.  We're going to be at this masking thing for a while, I think.

3 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

In-person study groups. Friends.

Maybe even clubs & activities. Hopefully.

I think most kids will only wear the masks if it is cool or required. (Some will wear them no matter what. I'm thinking about the majority.)

I'm just thinking about all the moms who sent Clorox wipes with their college kids in the fall and found a treasure trove of them this spring during the emergency move-out. I imagine masks to be like that--sent but not really used. I mean, I know the toilet paper I sent was used, but the cleaning supplies? ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Old Navy has some really nice color ways of fabric right now. Seeing that is making me give more thought to matching masks to wardrobe as a fashion choice.  We're going to be at this masking thing for a while, I think.

I saw these and was wondering how comfortable they are (didn't see reviews).  My daughter is highly sensitive to things touching her skin so I have to be careful what I buy.

53 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I saw these and was wondering how comfortable they are (didn't see reviews).  My daughter is highly sensitive to things touching her skin so I have to be careful what I buy.

https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/fashion/old-navy-face-masks

not exactly a review of comfort, but perhaps helpful.  

And it Looks like mask prices are climbing.  These are a super price! 

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 2

Re: the ON masks, I was thinking of just the colorways—they had a soft rainbow palette as a selection, but they weren’t the triple layer style.

We are dealing with latex allergies in the house so we haven’t bought the ON masks. I am having to custom sew everything.

I think what I am going to do is order some Kona quilting cotton fat quarter bundles in colors similar to what we wear a lot (we kinda have a capsule wardrobe thing going on) and also make up some navy, black, and other masks to better color coordinate. My teen boys were cool with “nerdy” fabric from Harry Potter and Star Wars, etc. but I think my tween daughter is giving more thought to color coordinating to an outfit.

For the sensory aspect you might look at soft knits (one friend is cutting up old t-shirts) or bamboo cotton blends.

• Like 2