Menu

Lantern English Essay Basics question

I have a 13yo and 15yo. Both have writing experience but definitely not enough for a 10-paragraph essay. I thought about signing up the younger for Essay Basics and the older for Essay Basics Practice but wonder if anyone who has experience with these two classes would pipe in with what they thought of the Practice class?

I don't have experience with the practice class, but my 14yo did Essay Basics in the fall and it was perfect for her.  The course walked her through writing an introduction, conclusion, body paragraphs, transitions, and outlining.  I believe she wrote three full essays in the course in addition to working on those individual components.  Can your 15yo write a 5-paragraph essay with ease?  If not, I would go with Essay Basics.  I don't think the practice class does much more than have them pump out essays for practice.  If your 15yo can write a 5-paragraph essay, I would go straight to Growing the Essay.  That is what I am putting my DD in next year and we are going to do the 16-week option to allow more time for feedback and editing.