Menu

making decisions about vacation with COVID

cintinative

14 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Can he just go by himself? That would be ok with you, wouldn’t it? He’d get time with his family, and could come home to a nice cozy quarantine room you’ve prepared for him. 

yes. Absolutely he could go by himself

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

Can not see siggy. (Nor my own Which is probably years out of date!🤔)

Are you willing to give dc ages for people who cannot see siggy?

Autoimmune condition is a yet more reason for No .  But there was already reason enough. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/my-whole-household-has-covid-19/608902/

Kids are 15 in Sept and 13 in  June 

11 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Kids are 15 in Sept and 13 in  June 

Does 15yo have a learner permit such that he or she or ze or they could at least help with driving a bit if dh weren’t feeling well? 

👍

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

Does 15yo have a learner permit such that he or she or ze or they could at least help with driving a bit if dh weren’t feeling well? 

👍

Drive where?? If Dad is sick they need to quarantine anyway. Not drive 20 hours, through states, stopping along the way to spread illness. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Drive where?? If Dad is sick they need to quarantine anyway. Not drive 20 hours, through states, stopping along the way to spread illness. 

Nearest Hospital?  or if  not that sick,  Nearest motel that accepts quarantines? 

They probably can’t quarantine at the side of road along an interstate or even at a rest stop along the way. 

With several health issues I would think the father could end up with symptoms while driving the 20 hours in either direction. And might run into breathing troubles where he would not be able to drive safely.  

(That is he might or might not get sick, but it could happen while on road if he did.) 

(Moot as to the teen helping drive.  Guess if the man goes and gets too sick to drive he will have to...   I dunno. 🤷‍♀️ Call for ambulance help.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Pen

He just tried to convince me this is low risk. All I could say is that we have different risk tolerance and that mine is low and his is higher. He claims that following the state’s data and listening to the press conferences has brainwashed me and there is other data that shows this is not a risk.  Sigh. 

• Sad 2

Just now, cintinative said:

He just tried to convince me this is low risk. All I could say is that we have different risk tolerance and that mine is low and his is higher. He claims that following the state’s data and listening to the press conferences has brainwashed me and there is other data that shows this is not a risk.  Sigh. 

☹️

He may go, and be fine.  That is possible.

But in your place I would certainly not go.

I also would be upset by being told I was brainwashed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

This woman is popular on Facebook, I've followed her for a long time, and both she and her husband have it and have been very sick. https://www.facebook.com/pg/MomBabble/posts/?ref=page_internal

He just rejects this idea. I told him if the risk is not zero it could happen. And it is not zero.

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

Nearest Hospital?  or if  not that sick,  Nearest motel that accepts quarantines? 

They probably can’t quarantine at the side of road along an interstate or even at a rest stop along the way. 

With several health issues I would think the father could end up with symptoms while driving the 20 hours in either direction. And might run into breathing troubles where he would not be able to drive safely.  

(That is he might or might not get sick, but it could happen while on road if he did.) 

(Moot as to the teen helping drive.  Guess if the man goes and gets too sick to drive he will have to...   I dunno. 🤷‍♀️ Call for ambulance help.  🤷‍♀️

Ah, I misunderstood. 

8 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Does he actually HAVE data? Data that says 3 people from different geographic locations who have been stopping in public places and on a plane should all congregate in one house for a week, in a place 20 hours from home?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

He just rejects this idea. I told him if the risk is not zero it could happen. And it is not zero.

He rejects that that couple both have it? Or that it could happen to you?

Does he GET that if he has even MILD symptoms while on vacation, he is obligated to then stay in place for 2 weeks?

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

mama, this really isn't about risk levels.

This is about how you and your DH have a fundamental disagreement.

So, what you are going to have to figure out is......how much of a disagreement are you willing to have with your spouse over this.

My brother and his wife face this sort of disagreement on a very regular basis.  My brother's wife hates us.  I am sure from her prespective, we, as her DH's family, are completely crazy.  She has some thoughts about how a nuclear family should function that clash hard with how the entire rest of our family works and I am pretty sure she thinks all the rest of us are rude, overbearing and horrible to be around.  Regardless of opinions on either side however.....what this means is that for every single family get together my family has, my brother and his wife end up with this sort of conversation.  Sometimes it means my brother comes by himself.  Sometimes it means that his wife and kids come.  Sometimes it means that he and the kids come but not her.  And really, the reasons are not all that relevant, because they are still a thing, every time, some 20ish yrs later.  And it affects all relationships and hurts everyone.

So, for me, I think what you really have to come to is balancing the risk of the fallout with regard to the relationships (all of them) against the risk of the virus.  Which is a super super hard thing to balance out in your mind........but that's really what I see the question resides on.  

Why is this on op? 

Her husband could also look at how much relationship with wife he is willing to sacrifice.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

He rejects that that couple both have it? Or that it could happen to you?

Does he GET that if he has even MILD symptoms while on vacation, he is obligated to then stay in place for 2 weeks?

That it would happen to us at all. And he would certainly not stay in place. He would drive home. But that’s another issue

he is under the impression that many people who get it are asymptomatic (possibly true— we have seen this in the prisons here) but that also means we will likely be asymptomatic ( completely unknown—individual responses to COVID are not predictable)

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Because the OP is the one posting here and therefore, the one I am responding to.

If it was the DH posting.....I would say much the same thing.  Relationships are two way streets, always.  

When we on this board are posting, we can only post from the side of the street we can see.  

Ok.

good.

Questions for OP: 

If anyone in the family gets sick, who will be expected to be the caretaker?  Is this husband good at cooking and disinfecting for example if one of the kids gets sick? 

If a quarantine room is need at home, who will set that up? 

Will this husband pack for himself and the kids or expect you to do it?  Who is supposed to take care of food, wet swimsuits, etc etc while at the vacation place? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

mama, this really isn't about risk levels.

This is about how you and your DH have a fundamental disagreement.

So, what you are going to have to figure out is......how much of a disagreement are you willing to have with your spouse over this

So, for me, I think what you really have to come to is balancing the risk of the fallout with regard to the relationships (all of them) against the risk of the virus.  Which is a super super hard thing to balance out in your mind........but that's really what I see the question resides on.  

I appreciate your input and can only ask for prayer. If the path was clear, I would not be on here polling you all if that makes sense. I have been praying about this daily for weeks and my comfort level with going has not changed despite knowing he will be upset.  I will continue to pray. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Ok.

good.

Questions for OP: 

If anyone in the family gets sick, who will be expected to be the caretaker?  Is this husband good at cooking and disinfecting for example if one of the kids gets sick? 

If a quarantine room is need at home, who will set that up? 

Will this husband pack for himself and the kids or expect you to do it?  Who is supposed to take care of food, wet swimsuits, etc etc while at the vacation place? 

Do you mean in general?

i normally do all cooking and grocery shopping even on vacation but he can cook just fine. He is capable of caring for sick people but normally that falls to me. He can and does pack for himself. 

he has a tendency to catch most things that go through our house. If the kids were sick I would come down to help get them home

i

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cintinative said:

That it would happen to us at all. And he would certainly not stay in place. He would drive home. But that’s another issue

he is under the impression that many people who get it are asymptomatic (possibly true— we have seen this in the prisons here) but that also means we will likely be asymptomatic ( completely unknown—individual responses to COVID are not predictable)

So he thinks it is okay to stop at multiple public places and spread a disease that has killed more Americans in a few months than died in the entire Vietnam war? If this is no big deal, how does he explain 96,000 dead americans? Even if he thinks HE is healthy enough to weather it without any long term damage or, it seems, even any inconvenience, does he not get that your mother is at risk, that you are at risk, that people in those public places he'd be stopping at would be at risk?

Seriously....this is so much to deal with..I'm so sorry. I'm saying a prayer for your family. I mean, I get this is a disagreement, but at worst, you are overly concerned about his health and your family's health. Not exactly an awful thing. At worst, he is being careless with his and your family's health. If you guys have to err one side or the other...I don't see his justification. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Do you mean in general?

i normally do all cooking and grocery shopping even on vacation but he can cook just fine. He is capable of caring for sick people but normally that falls to me. He can and does pack for himself. 

he has a tendency to catch most things that go through our house. If the kids were sick I would come down to help get them home

i

Again, if someone gets sick, they can't come home. Legally, they need to be quarantined, not driving across the country exposing people from state to state. Not to mention the risk of someone getting worse miles from a hospital. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, cintinative said:

He has only been emboldened by the doctor's response. Also his sister has a master's in public health and has declared this no big deal. That's enough for him. He and I think very differently on this. He does not think he will get it, or me, or the kids, or if he thinks he will, he thinks it will be very mild.  He generally thinks the whole thing is overblown. I can't control that aspect. I have really tried to talk about the science. He's not hearing it.

If you get out of Ohio you might feel better. Ohio is insane right now. Let him take the trip to see his mom. She’s 84 and could die and he should get to see her. Let him take the kids. You can decide for yourself at the last minute. 

Ohio is nuts right now and once you take a break from it you’ll see.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Do you mean in general?

i

Though if sick with CV19 they are supposed to stay where they are.

and you going to get them would put you (and your parents indirectly too perhaps) at nearly as much risk as going on the trip at the start

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Well sure but I think the oxygen drop is still there. Do you have a pulse oximeter?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:
4 hours ago, cintinative said:

Do you mean in general?

i

Though if sick with CV19 they are supposed to stay where they are.

and you going to get them would put you (and your parents indirectly too perhaps) at nearly as much risk as going on the trip at the start

Given that he is basically capable of cooking, packing, etc.— what is his reason for saying the kids can’t go without you? 

(I actually think it would be best for during CV19 if he went alone (if at all), but I am curious about why he said that and if it would shed any helpful light.) 

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Given that he is basically capable of cooking, packing, etc.— what is his reason for saying the kids can’t go without you? 

I never said this. I told him  that he and the kids were welcome to go without me. 

11 hours ago, Pen said:

👍

Unlike a driver's license, a learner's permit is not valid in another state.

Best wishes, cintinative, as you work through this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

But why does he feel like they can't go without you?

Any reason I could come up with would be a guess. I have no idea. He wouldn't say other than I was just being unreasonable to refuse to go. Maybe because this also means that I won't see my brother's family. 

Edited by cintinative

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

This is not true for all states. They would have to check and see which states allow it and which don’t. Definitely mind the laws carefully.

• Like 1

Any reason I could come up with would be a guess. I have no idea. He wouldn't say other than I was just being unreasonable to refuse to go. Maybe because this also means that I won't see my brother's family. 

I'm sorry. I would just keep saying that you have no intention of going but he is free to go with the kids. I would make it clear you have no intention of discussing his opinion of how unreasonable you are being but will discuss his reasoning behind why he doesn't feel he and the kids can go without you. 

This is something I would hold strong on.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Best wishes, cintinative, as you work through this.

It’s obviously irrelevant since the teen doesn’t have one.  But I guess that must differ in different states - or maybe different times.  I knew for my current state: 

“Out-of-state driving permitswill be honored in Oregon if the driver is at least 15 years of age, has the permit in their possession, and is accompanied by a license driver at least 21 years of age in the front seat”

Good to know it isn’t so in other states. 

Edited by Pen

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

I never said this. I told him  that he and the kids were welcome to go without me. 

I was wondering what was behind that.

There might, for example, be a positive emotional reason which if it could be gotten out in open would help to heal things on an emotional and relationship level.

Maybe he is picturing some image like all of you happily together in the ocean. 

Your not wanting to go even though your own brother is in the area to me helps strengthen your position of being about not feeling okay with the risk level rather than not wanting to see his family of origin. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cintinative said:

One big rental, shared common spaces. Possibly shared bathroom.

That would be a deal breaker for me. 

I would not go. But if that ends up being a hill to die on for your dh, I would insist on your own rental (all meals and bathrooming at your place) and all socialization to happen outside. 

• Like 2

At my husband's suggestion, I called an elder at our church who is also a medical doctor.  He agrees with my dh that the risk is low.  He thinks that people are being pretty good about social distancing, masking, etc. 

So far that is three medical doctors don't think it's a big deal. Why can't I feel peace about it? I was up praying much of last night, asking God to show me where I was going awry with this--where I might be a slave to fear.

The elder suggested that we pray together and try to hear each other better. So I could use prayer that we would do that.

Why do these doctors think your dh’s risk is low? Given what you’ve written about his underlying health conditions, I’d think that was an irresponsible thing to say. I mean, maybe his personal doc has an informed opinion, but these other docs don’t treat your dh. Frankly, your dh’s refusal to give you an explanation as to why he and his doctor think he is low risk given all the variables is...suspicious is probably too strong a word, concerning. 

I would stand firm in not going. I’d explain the situation to my teens and let them make their own decisions. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cintinative said:

At my husband's suggestion, I called an elder at our church who is also a medical doctor.  He agrees with my dh that the risk is low.  He thinks that people are being pretty good about social distancing, masking, etc. 

How on earth would he know if people are being pretty good about masking and social distancing 20 hours away from where y'all live? 

It doesn't sound like he addressed your dh's risk of complications if he gets, but rather just the chance of getting it in the first place. Either way, he's a doctor but not an epidemiologist, right? This is not his area of expertise. 

Call me suspicious, but is it possible that your dh has already talked about Covid with this elder or heard him talk about it and knew he was likely to agree with him? And is it a church that regards men as the head of the household? Because that would increase the chance of him being biased toward your dh. 

In the end, you both have plenty of information about the virus. You disagree on what that information means. That's fine, reasonable people can disagree, and there's certainly disagreement within the medical and scientific communities on various issues. I think the most relevant point is that, one, you are being reasonable and not taking some fringe stance on this, and two, proceeding is going to lead to a lot of anxiety and a miserable vacation for you. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, brehon said:

Why do these doctors think your dh’s risk is low? Given what you’ve written about his underlying health conditions, I’d think that was an irresponsible thing to say. I mean, maybe his personal doc has an informed opinion, but these other docs don’t treat your dh. Frankly, your dh’s refusal to give you an explanation as to why he and his doctor think he is low risk given all the variables is...suspicious is probably too strong a word, concerning. 

I would stand firm in not going. I’d explain the situation to my teens and let them make their own decisions. 

Two of them were his personal doctors: his pulmnologist and general practice (GP) doctor.

Presumably they looked at his chart? I hope so?  My understanding is that the Sarcoidosis is not really a concern.  However, that still leaves about five other things (or more) that they are apparently also considering to be trivial.   

I did tell the elder/doc about all the issues. He wasn't phased.  

DH's reasoning is simply that the risk is low. His impression is that given current restrictions that we will have essentially no chance of getting it on the vacation. Even the doc I talked to today seemed to think that as long as we washed hands and didn't touch our faces we would be okay (I did not argue with him about it, I didn't see the point).

I am a lot more skeptical about the ongoing compliance of people. I am seeing a lot of people breaking social distancing, and we are only a couple weeks into opening up. I am watching the numbers to see if there is an effect. If there is, then my position is strengthened. If not, I would think my dh's would be.

• Like 1

I’d feel comfortable going, especially after consulting with doctors. I’d watch the news between now and the trip and if things get worse in the area we are traveling to, then I would have to option to change my mind.

I realize that’s not the opinion of this board, but it’s how I feel today for my family.  If you decide to go, go with faith and hope and take plenty of precautions- practice social distancing. Bring your own cleaning routine and supplies. Bring masks and gloves. 

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 4

In one sense I agree with the people who are telling you and your husband that the risk is low.  In some basic absolute sense, it is low.  Similarly, most people who were on a cruise during the time that Diamond Princess and other ships got infection on board probably did not get CV19.  So if one added up all cruise passengers and compared with number who got sick, in number terms it could be said to be low risk.

But

Each person who did get CV19 on a cruise ship got it despite low risk.  Each person who got stranded by it was stranded despite low risk. 

So yeah, it was I am sure technically “low risk” by the total numbers. Nonetheless, once the CV19 situation was known, I think it was ridiculous for people to keep on cruisin... so that a number more Princess situations developed.   Even though I am sure quite a few people who did not get sick are crowing about the great, cheap cruise they got to go on. 

Also, not as extremely as on a cruise ship at sea which can be denied port entry,  but to some degree, stranding can happen—sick or well.  The ordinary idea of “I’ll just drive home” (even if it violates quarantine and puts others at risk—which plan doesn’t give me a good feeling about your husband or your minister / doctor if he is aware of that btw) may turn out not to be possible.  Or rather, not possible for an extended time. 

If cases climb, all manner of things can happen.  States could close borders to non essential traffic which could affect even well people, or could impose virus check stations at borders which could affect your husband if he does get sick, for example. ...  

I think with all that is currently unknown, it is quite hard to predict what may happen. 

I am not sure how many planes will be taken by the relatives, but each increases chance that some one person in the group could get infected, especially if this is a low caution group of people.

• Like 3

If you haven’t seen it, the link I put on Easypeasy’s thread about traveling that has the fairly young, formerly very healthy doctor who got sick on a plane description of his situation could be worth your husband watching... to understand that even low risk people can get very sick.

• Like 1

Imperial College, London (an excellent world class institution in area of epidemiology):

“Our estimates suggest that the epidemic is not under control in much of the US: as of 17 May 2020, the reproduction number is above the critical threshold (1.0) in 24 [95% CI: 20-30] states. Higher reproduction numbers are geographically clustered in the South and Midwest, where epidemics are still developing, while we estimate lower reproduction numbers in states that have already suffered high COVID-19 mortality (such as the Northeast). These estimates suggest that caution must be taken in loosening current restrictions if effective additional measures are not put in place.

We predict that increased mobility following relaxation of social distancing will lead to resurgence of transmission, keep- ing all else constant. We predict that deaths over the next two-month period could exceed current cumulative deaths by greater than two-fold, if the relationship between mobility and transmission remains unchanged. Our results suggest that factors modulating transmission such as rapid testing, contact tracing and behavioural precautions are crucial to offset the rise of transmission associated with loosening of social distancing.”

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/mrc-gida/2020-05-21-COVID19-Report-23.pdf

Edited by Pen
Bold added to emphasize relevant area of contemplated trip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So far that is three medical doctors don't think it's a big deal. Why can't I feel peace about it? I was up praying much of last night, asking God to show me where I was going awry with this--where I might be a slave to fear.

The elder suggested that we pray together and try to hear each other better. So I could use prayer that we would do that.

But then how does your DH and your elder explain all the people actually catching it? We spiked back up to 1,200 new cases in one day on the 20th here in Florida.  So....hearing it is "low risk" probably is zero comfort to those 1,200 people just in ONE DAY who caught it in the state you are going to. What makes the people going on this vacation with you and your family lower risk than those people?

And living in the same house does NOT equal social distancing!

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I agree that the odds of infection are low (I would think under 20%), but the consequences of getting infected are potentially quite high--along the lines of reasons people have homeowners' insurance that covers fire. Most people's houses don't catch fire; many house fires can be put out with little trouble, especially if you've prepared by having an extinguisher and an alarm, and so much the better if there's a sprinkler system and a good fire department nearby; but some fires destroy the structure and contents, and occasionally someone dies in one. Therefore, we have insurance, cook with care, and don't play with matches.

Yes!  Absolutely!

I don’t know what the odds are since it probably depends on so many factors like what each of the relatives who will be gathering has been doing and where they were and how they traveled.  I know I have been taking a look at known cases by zip code (even though I know they aren’t accurate, but better than nothing) before I have planned trips for groceries or veterinary care or whatever in cities I can get to. I don’t have any exact way of calculating odds, but I figure that the areas with fewer known cases may also have fewer unknown walking carriers and thus be somewhat better—along with masks, distance, hand washing, etc. 

on fire analogy: 

Also many of us don’t leave a relatively fire safe home situation and drive into a wildfire zone during a bad wildfire season just for fun.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

But then how does your DH and your elder explain all the people actually catching it?

Maybe Lack of faith?

We spiked back up to 1,200 new cases in one day on the 20th here in Florida.  So....hearing it is "low risk" probably is zero comfort to those 1,200 people just in ONE DAY who caught it in the state you are going to. What makes the people going on this vacation with you and your family lower risk than those people?

Maybe  they feel that those statistics are “brainwashing” and fear mongering? Even false to scare people?

Like some people on the Contact Tracing or other such threads here seem to do?

And living in the same house does NOT equal social distancing!

No. It is not. 

A bunch of people coming together in a vacation house seems much like the ski chalet situations that sparked a number of clusters before lockdowns. 

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Here’s the thing. It’s not your place to tell your dh what to do. It’s natural that you would be worried. So what can you do for yourself while he does what he needs to do? You might feel better if you take the trip with him. We’ve been through 4 states in the last few days and places are doing great. Venture out. Maybe the docs are right.

• Like 2