Menu

Help me decide history for next year: Omnibus 2 or US History

My older two did Omnibus 1 this  year and I approached it with a very loose, "take it as it goes and be prepared to skip as much as needed to enjoy the process" attitude. We ended up only skipping one book each from primary and secondary. All in all it was a good year. The books were HARD and I do question how much we truly retained from the reading, but the videos were excellent and the discussion questions and writing topics truly helped us dive deep as we wanted to and that was great. It got them thinking deeply and stretched them tremendously. My oldest is going to deviate and take US History next year and I am on the fence of what to do with ds (8th grade next fall). Either have him take US History with his sister or Omnibus 2.  He is good with either option. This would be the first time they were ever split up for history and I am a little hesitant to do it because 1, they work well together, and 2, this will be dd's last year of true homeschool as she will be full time dual enrolling the following year. If I keep them together and let ds do US History (Dave Raymonds) what would he do for US history in high school? Is it necessary to have US History on a high school transcript? Would it be too repetitive to do another high school US History for him? I could do Omnibus 2 and 3 for 9th and 10th . . . but those are not US . . . thoughts?

Not to muddy the waters, but I thought that Omnibus 3 was generally counted as US history on a transcript (it might be US history in a world context). Is that an option?  The book list confirms this:

https://www.exodusbooks.com/veritas-omnibus-iii/7605/

ETA: I was told (on this board) that US history needs to transcript during the four years of high school, but one option you have for that is to have him continue to work into next summer and then transcript the US history for his 9th grade year. This is what I am doing with my current 8th grader.

Edited by cintinative

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Not to muddy the waters, but I thought that Omnibus 3 was generally counted as US history on a transcript (it might be US history in a world context). Is that an option?  The book list confirms this:

https://www.exodusbooks.com/veritas-omnibus-iii/7605/

ETA: I was told (on this board) that US history needs to transcript during the four years of high school, but one option you have for that is to have him continue to work into next summer and then transcript the US history for his 9th grade year. This is what I am doing with my current 8th grader.

hmmm what if I did Omnibus 2 for 9th and count that as world history and then Omni 3 for 10th  (maybe a little light and skip a few books) and add in  something like history of the US to make it more US History. Then he could do US with his sister this year (save me a TON of money) and still get to do Omnibus . . . Would that work? Would US in work context count for US History or would I just put it on the transcript as US History?

16 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

hmmm what if I did Omnibus 2 for 9th and count that as world history and then Omni 3 for 10th  (maybe a little light and skip a few books) and add in  something like history of the US to make it more US History. Then he could do US with his sister this year (save me a TON of money) and still get to do Omnibus . . . Would that work? Would US in work context count for US History or would I just put it on the transcript as US History?

you could absolutely do that, and I don't think you need to add anything to Omnibus 3 to get it to count as US History. Most of modern US history after the Civil War is WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc.  That should all be in a world history text. If you want, you could transcript it as U.S. history from (Year).  I think Omni 3 covers foundational U.S. documents so I think it would totally work. This is just my opinion, of course, but I know WHA counts Omni 3 as U.S. history for their coursework (to meet college requirements to cover US. history) and their booklist is not as robust as Veritas'

• Like 1