Menu

Free Time Activities for a 13 Year Old Boy

This is my first post under my "new" profile! I participated here MANY years ago, but my oldest 4 kids have all graduated, and I still have a 13 year old. (Couldn't find my old information, as I was using a different email way back then!)

Anyhow, my 13 year old son is, for all practical purposes, an only child. His next oldest brother is 19. We are dealing with significant boredom right now. Yes, he does schoolwork, but most of his current courses are ended for the year. I need something more than, "Oh you're bored? Here's a chore for you to do!"

What are you guys coming up with for at-home, self directed activities for boys this age? Computer related ideas are OK, but I'd prefer more activities that do not require electronic devices. Are there any really good activity crates, self-led science concepts, etc...that your sons enjoy spending time on? 

So far, we're scheduling friends to come over once weekly, we're getting a dog later in June, we're joining our local community center in June, he'll be working on his cooking merit badge, and he'll be working on CodaKid coding online. He's also doing some reading to prep for an argumentation/debate class this fall. Second half of summer he'll be participating in a local acting group. Swim team was cancelled for the summer :(

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Lisa

MayberryMom

Makerspace projects: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/makerspace-projects or https://www.makerspaces.com/makerspace-ideas/

Zometool projects (My physics grad student loved these at 13ish. He wasn't the only one left at home, but his 5 sisters were not actually his target friends to hang out with, either. 🙂https://www.sbu.edu/academics/mathematics/mathematical-resources/zometool-resources

• Like 1

Papertoy Monsters has been working here during evening read-aloud.

PVC construction projects is an idea I've kicked around. He did foam swords last year, even taught it to friends in his Nerf group, so that is a good entry-level project. We already have a pvc bike rack, but I could use a garden frame and I'm sure the internet could supply more ideas.

DS has a few meet badges going, but he seems to view them as work and nothing to be particularly enjoyed. Too bad!

• Like 1

I have a 13 year old boy, so here's what he enjoys. 

snapcircuits
paper folding tricks (search youtube for instructions for "paper transforming ninja star", "hexaflexagon", maybe "Paper folding infinity cube"
he sometimes enjoys crafts like perler beads or watercolor painting via aquarellum
LOVES to bake, especially cakes
If you have scrap wood and nails around, he could create something
solitaire games such as: marble circuit, laser maze, colorku, etc.
if you have legos or other building toys, you could do lego challenges such as build the eiffel tower, or build something that you find in the ocean

That's all I can think of for now....

Oh, and if you have any old/not working appliances (blender, toaster, etc), he could take it apart and see how it works-this is on my to do list-we haven't done this yet...

Edited by alisha

My 13yo ds enjoys:

- Models of all kinds.  He likes airplane model kits (the plastic one) and has just completed a much more complicated RC airplane.  Inaugural flight tomorrow!  He's also done a Spanish galley ship cross-section model (wood).  His younger sister is doing a miniature kit as well and ds would have also happily done it.  

- Reading.  He's 10 books into the Wheel of Time series, which I let him start reading at 13.  YMMV in terms of acceptable content- there is some implied sex, but nothing explicit at all.  

- Dance moves.  Learning electric swing from youtube tutorials.  

- Running.  5-10km with me or a friend or alone.

- Scratch Programming, Python programming

- Writing.  Working on a fantasy novel

- Planning and cooking a meal every couple weeks