Menu

XL Full size Sheets - dorm room.....

Another Lynn

DS had a XL Full size bed in his dorm room and we ordered sheets that size online.  I don't see why a queen size wouldn't work if you don't mind pulling and tucking the bottom sheet.  Many of the newer sheets are made for deep mattresses (and IME dorm mattresses aren't deep), so the fitted sheet will probably not have a taught fit.  

• Like 2

No experience with trying to use Queen size sheets on a Twin XL mattress.   We needed for DD to have with her a set of sheets for the Twin XL mattress in her dorm  room when she arrived, at night, in her dorm, after the trip from Colombia last August. We bought them from a very reputable company on eBay (in NY or NJ) and had them sent to our Forwarder in Miami and then to our house in Colombia. DW opened the package and thought they were high quality. That company specializes, I believe, in bedding for odd size mattresses.  After DD used the TwinXL bed sheets, we bought another set for her, different colors, from that same company on eBay. TwinXL is probably very common in university dorm rooms.

ETA: In the first 2 or 3 days after DD arrived in Carolina, she went to a store and bought a Pillow and Mattress protector, blanket(s), etc. for her bed, but the TwinXL bedsheets were something she needed the first night she was in her dorm room.

Edited by Lanny
Add ETA
  • Like 1

It works fine, but she'll need to tuck the sides under the mattress well or it will become really loose. Each of our kids has used a mattress topper on top of the dorm mattresses. For one child, it made the bed a bit softer, for another she couldn't feel the slats, for the third it evened out the valley. It was worth it to have the extra deepness on the sheets to compensate for the topper. I would also make sure there's a mattress cover.

• Like 2

OP This is the eBay listing we bought TwinXL bed sheets for the bed in the dorm room of DD from, in mid 2019. As I mentioned upthread, first we bought one set and she took that with her on the airplane from Colombia and then after she got there, we bought her another set, in a different color, from the same eBay Seller.  The price varies. I think the first set we bought was $12 USD and the second set was $20.  Probably this kind of merchandise is sold to hotels and motels a lot. DD also bought an oversize pillow in NC and we bought a pillowcase for it on eBay, but from a different Seller as I recall. Here's the eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Unique-Sizes-Brushed-Soft-Microfiber-Hotel-Bed-Sheets-Deep-Pocket-Sheet-Set/113588105598?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

23 hours ago, Bootsie said:

DS had a XL Full size bed in his dorm room and we ordered sheets that size online.  I don't see why a queen size wouldn't work if you don't mind pulling and tucking the bottom sheet.  Many of the newer sheets are made for deep mattresses (and IME dorm mattresses aren't deep), so the fitted sheet will probably not have a taught fit.  

Thanks!  I'm ordered one queen set and one XL full fitted in case the queen is a bust and to have a second one on hand.  I won't order anything else until we see how well it fits.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lanny said:

No experience with trying to use Queen size sheets on a Twin XL mattress.   We needed for DD to have with her a set of sheets for the Twin XL mattress in her dorm  room when she arrived, at night, in her dorm, after the trip from Colombia last August. We bought them from a very reputable company on eBay (in NY or NJ) and had them sent to our Forwarder in Miami and then to our house in Colombia. DW opened the package and thought they were high quality. That company specializes, I believe, in bedding for odd size mattresses.  After DD used the TwinXL bed sheets, we bought another set for her, different colors, from that same company on eBay. TwinXL is probably very common in university dorm rooms.

ETA: In the first 2 or 3 days after DD arrived in Carolina, she went to a store and bought a Pillow and Mattress protector, blanket(s), etc. for her bed, but the TwinXL bedsheets were something she needed the first night she was in her dorm room.

14 hours ago, Lanny said:

OP This is the eBay listing we bought TwinXL bed sheets for the bed in the dorm room of DD from, in mid 2019. As I mentioned upthread, first we bought one set and she took that with her on the airplane from Colombia and then after she got there, we bought her another set, in a different color, from the same eBay Seller.  The price varies. I think the first set we bought was $12 USD and the second set was $20.  Probably this kind of merchandise is sold to hotels and motels a lot. DD also bought an oversize pillow in NC and we bought a pillowcase for it on eBay, but from a different Seller as I recall. Here's the eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Unique-Sizes-Brushed-Soft-Microfiber-Hotel-Bed-Sheets-Deep-Pocket-Sheet-Set/113588105598?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Lanny, thanks for sharing your experience!  A twin XL wouldn't be too hard to find, but this dorm room has Full XL which measures 54 x 80 - the same width as a full (double), but the length of a queen size.  The other factor is that this dc prefers jersey over microfiber which seems to be harder to find in special sizes.  So I ordered a queen set in the jersey fabric (on ebay - thanks for that tip!) and a Full XL fitted only in whatever I could find.  Oddly enough, a mattress protector in Full XL was easier to find than sheets!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wilrunner said:

It works fine, but she'll need to tuck the sides under the mattress well or it will become really loose. Each of our kids has used a mattress topper on top of the dorm mattresses. For one child, it made the bed a bit softer, for another she couldn't feel the slats, for the third it evened out the valley. It was worth it to have the extra deepness on the sheets to compensate for the topper. I would also make sure there's a mattress cover.

Good idea!  These dorms are newer than some, so we may wait on the topper for now, but thanks for reminding me about a mattress cover - Full XL mattress covers were much more plentiful than Full XL sheets, lol!  He will be local to us so we can run out for a topper later if necessary, but the odd sheet size has been hard to find. 

• Like 1

Another Lynn: You are welcome and I noticed after my first reply that it isn't a Twin XL. Those are far more common in  dorm rooms. eBay is always a great place to buy when you are looking for things that are hard to find.  He is lucky in that you are local to where he will be so you can get things for him if necessary.  DD bought (in NC) a huge pillow and then she needed a Pillowcase for it.  She measured it,  multiple times, and then we bought a giant pillowcase for it, on eBay and I haven't heard any complaints from her. Good luck to your DS!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

FWIW, my son has a full size extra long bed for years and all his sheets until recently have been queen sized.  It's been fine.  Just make sure the fitted sheet is pulled on well.  

My dd had a Full XL in a furnished student apartment - the queen sheets we bought worked just fine for us too.

• Like 1