Menu

Looking for a meaty middle school chemistry, or a light-ish high school chemistry book

The American Chemical Society has a free middle school curriculum. It is set up for classroom use and assumes nothing, but I used it alongside BFSU lessons and some of the videos were great. The program was good, but not particularly meaty.

Napolean's Buttons is another, similar, pop chemistry book. DH says he liked the spoon one better but can no longer remember why.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wendyroo said:

We have been pleased with Mr. Q.  We haven't used his Advanced Chemistry, but we have used one of his other advanced texts.  He recommends them for ages 12-18...I feel like they are strong middle school level or light high school level.

I'll second Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry.  It was great as a challenging but not overwhelming middle-school text.  Dd did it in 7th grade.

I'll admit that we paired Mr. Q with a lab-only chem class at a homeschool center.  That class was all labs, so the two paired greatly and got me out of doing the hands-on piece, so I can't speak to that part of the course.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

Following.  Any suggestions that are online or video based? 

American Chemical Society: Middle School Chemistry lessons overview ?? -- these may go with ACS's Middle School Chemistry course
Crash Course Chemistry?? -- it may be at a high school / adult general intro level
Great Courses: Chemistry and Our Universe: How it All Work ?? -- college intro level chemistry -- it is non-math

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, cintinative said:

I can recommend Middle School Chemistry by ACS.  It's free, and I think it's very well done.   We also did the two Ellen J McHenry books. 

We’re planning to use Middle School Chemistry and The Elements next year. I haven’t dug in too deep, but it seems best to do Middle School Chemistry first. We haven’t studied chemistry before. What order did you use?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, blendergal said:

We’re planning to use Middle School Chemistry and The Elements next year. I haven’t dug in too deep, but it seems best to do Middle School Chemistry first. We haven’t studied chemistry before. What order did you use?

We had done The Elements earlier, so actually what we did was Middle School Chemistry first and then Carbon Chemistry.

There is some overlap between Middle School Chemistry and The Elements. The Elements is more game/group oriented.  Since Middle School Chemistry is much more supply intensive and teacher-intensive for you, I would vote to do it first, followed by The Elements.  😃

• Like 1