Menu

Water, water, water everywhere.

Ottakee

My daughter told me this morning she had a puddle in her basement apartment.  14 hours later we have installed a sump pump, had my septic tanks pumped, removed her kitchen cabinets and flooring and auce spent 14 hours shop vac and squeegeeing the water.   We aren't keeping up.

25 years of this subdivision and no on ever had water issues until we got almost a foot of rain in the past week.  And Lake Michigan is at record high levels as are the river and bayous.

Still I am not as bad as Midland....about 2-3 hours from me where the dam broke.

Back to  the shop vac.  

• Sad 26

7 minutes ago, klmama said:

Oh, no!  What a mess it must be.  Do you have flood insurance?

No.   We are no where near a flood plain.  I might have some water back up insurance but no time to call them today.  Doubtful though it will cover this.

I am exhausted.  I slept about an hour in the past 24 hours and can't keep up.  My kids help as they can but they have special needs and just can't handle as much.

I am Praying for 2-3 willing volunteers to help out so that I can sleep  for an hour or 2 and try to keep up.

I just finished the entire basement....bath, kitchenette, living room and 2 bedrooms at Christmas for my daughter.   Trying to save what we can.

• Sad 14

49 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I'm very sorry.   If I lived near you I would be happy to come help you guys out.  I hope you are able to get some extra help today and save most of your things. 

Thanks.  I am just one or likely thousands on our area doing this same thing.  I do have some help coming

I'd get a copy of your homeowners insurance and contact a public adjustor. They are private companies (despite the name public) that work for you to make sure you get all you should from your insurance, for a percent of what you get. They get WAY more than most companies would voluntarily cover. And most of all, they know how to read the policy and find out if this would be covered. I believe they can do that part without a fee, just as a consultation. Just google private adjustor (city name). 

Hugs. 

• Like 2

it's definitely worth checking your insurance policy and even though you don't have time right now for that part, take pictures/videos and document everything you can.  That way if they will cover it, you have proof.  

Our sump pump failed last summer, except we didn't know that was the cause just that we had a suddenly wet basement after extremely heavy rains.  We were on vacation so it was a couple of weeks before we could have someone in.  Got the sump pump replaced and were slowly working through ripping things out and replacing.  About 2 months after the fact someone mentioned insurance.  We never checked because we assumed it wouldn't be covered.  But we had a rider for it (that we never even knew about) and they came in a covered a portion of it.  Thankfully, we hadn't gotten to throwing out all the damaged furniture so it was easy to still document that part.  The carpet we had already thrown out but between the obvious water damage/mold on the walls and trim and the report from the company that replaced the sump pump, we were able to provide enough proof that the insurance company chipped in their full portion.

So document just in case, you might need it!

• Like 1

Can you get a couple more pumps? 

Our basement was built with drains, but I also have an extra pump, I don’t know if it is considered a sump pump, that can sit flat on floor and (as long as electric is on) sends water out a hose a distance from house if need be.  

I only ever used it once, but it was a huge help. 

If water is deep enough and if there’s any place downhill of your basement to do this, you could also start hoses going as siphons. 

I am so sorry. I hate to suggest more work but if the drywall got wet it needs to be cut out and removed before it gets moldy. Usually that’s a 48-72 hour window. The studs can dry out a lot faster once exposed, and you won’t have mold growing in a hidden manner on the inside of the drywall. #lessonsfromhurricaneharvey

• Like 3

Thanks for the ideas.  Working on insurance issues.

Had awesome people show up ....some I didn't even know who made a huge huge difference.   I was able to sleep for 2 hours and now feel ok sleeping for 2-3 more.   They help set up new pumps, etc.  There is great hope now.

I do feel for those near Midland ( I am 120 ish miles away).  They have it far worse than I do.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am so sorry. I hate to suggest more work but if the drywall got wet it needs to be cut out and removed before it gets moldy. Usually that’s a 48-72 hour window. The studs can dry out a lot faster once exposed, and you won’t have mold growing in a hidden manner on the inside of the drywall. #lessonsfromhurricaneharvey

We went to this school, too.  😕 Had to cut the drywall out 2 feet up the wall and then rounded up every fan I could find plus a big ole dehumidifier from Home Depot to dry the house out. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

We went to this school, too.  😕 Had to cut the drywall out 2 feet up the wall and then rounded up every fan I could find plus a big ole dehumidifier from Home Depot to dry the house out. 

Drywall is cut and fans are going already 😀 along with the dehumidifier.

• Like 7