Menu

What's with the ads?

JadeOrchidSong

Are your high school senior dc that are graduating now going to college this fall or delay a year till fall of 2021?

My oldest will be starting college at least part-time in the fall, but we have no idea yet what that will look like. His original plan had been to attend university part-time in Canada (on campus), while playing hockey there for the same team he was with this season. Depending on which hockey leagues are operating, how classes are being offered, and international travel restrictions, he could end up in Canada or the US, on campus or taking classes online, and as a full-time or part-time student. Thankfully, he's a very, very easy-going kid who recognizes that many other students and athletes are in similar situations and is handling the uncertainty well. Many of his friends are also still figuring out plans for the fall, or they've at least had their plans change. His best friend was going to take a gap year to travel, but will now attend college for a year or two until he can go ahead with his travel plans.

• Like 1

Mine will be attending, whether classes are online or not. She greatly prefers to be on campus, but there doesn't seem to be a huge upside to taking a gap year when opportunities will likely be limited for the same reason campuses would be closed. At least online classes give her some structure and opportunity for moving forward with her plans.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:03 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

I know people learn differently and online classes may be a torture. But then next year with more students applying for college, it will be more competitive. I also wonder what they can do if they take a year off because traveling and looking for jobs both are harder now. 

Is your son thinking of applying to super selective colleges? If not, the whole process isn't really that competitive. If he is, it's hard to imagine selective college admissions getting much more competitive than they are now anyway. 

On 5/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Mom0012 said:

Is your son thinking of applying to super selective colleges? If not, the whole process isn't really that competitive. If he is, it's hard to imagine selective college admissions getting much more competitive than they are now anyway. 

He plans to go to the U of MN Twin Cities for computer science. Is that competitive enough? It is for him. He did!'t get in the DE program and is attending another college for DE. He applied to the U of MN again for DE. Unfortunately due to the virus, it is pushed back one more month at the end of June to send out their notice. He will apply this November for early application for 2021.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:27 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

He plans to go to the U of MN Twin Cities for computer science. Is that competitive enough? It is for him. He did!'t get in the DE program and is attending another college for DE. He applied to the U of MN again for DE. Unfortunately due to the virus, it is pushed back one more month at the end of June to send out their notice. He will apply this November for early application for 2021.

Ah, well I really hope he gets in. I really was just trying to ease fears about the impact of students deferring. My ds has some lds and I was very worried about him getting into college a couple of years ago and he got in every place he applied, but none of them were highly competitive schools. (I think the lowest acceptance rate was about 60%.) My dd is a super high achiever and we skipped most of the super competitive schools because they didn't offer what she wanted. She found a lot of less competitive schools that seemed to be a better fit for what she was looking for. I overly stressed throughout the whole process with both of them.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 2

I don't know anyone irl who is deferring. 

My youngest was a sophomore in college this past year and hates online hard. She's keeping at it, though, including summer classes, because suffering builds character. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

Not sure how that will work with dorms and moving in.  Pandemonium is pretty much that scenario.   

It doesn't have to be! Youngest's college has an amazing system that involves a car line where student workers unload all your stuff, and then by the time you park and walk back over, it magically appears in your room. 

• Like 2

I think it is more likely that my son will switch which college he goes to than that he take a gap year.  UTD did not require a deposit, but son accepted his scholarship there and admission. There was another school we deposited on but then had a change of heart on and have not told them yet.  If Baylor still expects students on campus but quarantines them to their rooms for two weeks and/or makes them wear masks everywhere, including around the residence hall, he will likely switch to the other chosen school (not UTD).

• Like 1

Janeway if Baylor confines students to the school campus for the entire semester as I believe you wrote in another thread, that would be the "Kiss of Death" for me for attending Baylor University.

• Like 1