Menu

Are your high school senior dc that are graduating now going to college this fall or delay a year till fall of 2021?

I have heard that some high school  graduates this year are going to skip a year (gap year) due to the pandemic and go to college in fall of 2021. Are your dc doing this? Are they accepted by colleges already? Do colleges generally allow accepted students to delay a year? My son is going to graduate in 2021. I wonder how this year's graduates going to college in 2021 instead of 2020 will impact college acceptance since they do not have unlimited space for students. 

Thoughts? 

Mine is hoping for online (she's an introvert who is not all that excited about going across the country to college), but will start on time no matter what.  It is definitely a concern for the class of 2021, but I think most students will attend college rather than just take a year off with no plans.  It won't be a good time to travel or find jobs during the time they would have been in school.  

• Like 4

My dd (incoming freshman) is going to take a gap year if fall classes are online. My boys will be college juniors and will probably take online classes if they have to, but they said that many of their friends and classmates are saying they'll take the year off.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

My dd (incoming freshman) is going to take a gap year if fall classes are online. My boys will be college juniors and will probably take online classes if they have to, but they said that many of their friends and classmates are saying they'll take the year off.

I know people learn differently and online classes may be a torture. But then next year with more students applying for college, it will be more competitive. I also wonder what they can do if they take a year off because traveling and looking for jobs both are harder now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Mine is hoping for online (she's an introvert who is not all that excited about going across the country to college), but will start on time no matter what.  It is definitely a concern for the class of 2021, but I think most students will attend college rather than just take a year off with no plans.  It won't be a good time to travel or find jobs during the time they would have been in school.  

My son is very introverted. He has no problems doing online classes. He just finished his 11th grade as college PSEO students and earned 24 credits. Next school year he will continue PSEO. I think if he were a senior this year, he would definitely start college no matter what. He is motivated to continue with his study towards computer science major. 

12 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

I know people learn differently and online classes may be a torture. But then next year with more students applying for college, it will be more competitive. I also wonder what they can do if they take a year off because traveling and looking for jobs both are harder now. 

She would do fine with online college classes, but she's taken quite a few for high school and is tired of them. She'd rather work for a year and wait for in-person classes. We have a couple family businesses and there is always a job for her here, so she is fortunate in that regard.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Selkie said:

She would do fine with online college classes, but she's taken quite a few for high school and is tired of them. She'd rather work for a year and wait for in-person classes. We have a couple family businesses and there is always a job for her here, so she is fortunate in that regard.

Then that is different. Having jobs to do makes a big different for the gap year. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

I have heard that some high school  graduates this year are going to skip a year (gap year) due to the pandemic and go to college in fall of 2021. Are your dc doing this? Are they accepted by colleges already? Do colleges generally allow accepted students to delay a year? My son is going to graduate in 2021. I wonder how this year's graduates going to college in 2021 instead of 2020 will impact college acceptance since they do not have unlimited space for students. 

Thoughts? 

No, she is planning to continue her RN program.  She got a call yesterday saying labs are not going to be face to face and may not go forward.  How in the world can colleges make this determination in MAY? I'm so frustrated and hoping she misunderstood the call.  She's sending an email to her advisor asking for clarification.

My thoughts are that her whole life feels put on hold.  She has a serious boyfriend with a two year plan and doesn't want to get married until she has her RN.  I had one very unhappy young woman after that call.

Nope, I couldn't encourage her to take a gap year.  She is not the sort to mosey and just enjoy the free time and use it to enrich herself and life in general. I have another daughter like that - it's low stress, lol.  Instead, this one goes armed with plan and purpose.

My oldest will be attending whether online or in person. I think it's harder on me to figure out how to plan; she's not much on planning - she'd probably pack the day before for the move 10 hours away if I let it go.

In light of the pandemic, she is thinking of dropping to just doing one major which would get her through in about 2 1/2-3 years and completely debt free rather than a double major which would take 4 and some small loans.

38 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

No, she is planning to continue her RN program.  She got a call yesterday saying labs are not going to be face to face and may not go forward.  How in the world can colleges make this determination in MAY? I'm so frustrated and hoping she misunderstood the call.  She's sending an email to her advisor asking for clarification.

My thoughts are that her whole life feels put on hold.  She has a serious boyfriend with a two year plan and doesn't want to get married until she has her RN.  I had one very unhappy young woman after that call.

Nope, I couldn't encourage her to take a gap year.  She is not the sort to mosey and just enjoy the free time and use it to enrich herself and life in general. I have another daughter like that - it's low stress, lol.  Instead, this one goes armed with plan and purpose.

I do understand that even in May schools/colleges can predict somewhat how things will be in September. This virus is not going anywhere. Effective, fast-acting treatment need to be found (I do not put my hope in a vaccine when so many coronaviruses before this SARS-COV-2 are yet to have a vaccine). With Americans' freely moving about and cases still going on, an outbreak in any school will surely mean school close. That's why I am pulling my younger son (will be 10th  grade) out of an expensive private high school to homeschool again. This school year is the only year that he is outside schooled. We are grieving for the loss of a wonderful community due to e learning. 

The small private college my eldest son is doing PSEO at already told students that the fall semester will be online learning. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Thoughts? 

My son is seriously considering applying for a gap year. He would only do it if the university accepts his application to do so (we are definitely NOT redoing college applications, no way no how!). 

He had a hard time completing his DE coursework at the end of his senior year this spring. Working in the basement of a small home with sibling and family distractions all around him and trying to focus in spite of his worries about what was going on in the world (he's my serious, worrying firstborn) was not easy for him. He's an introvert but really needs an element of "in person" to succeed. He sees the writing on the wall of how a freshman year "online" might go for him, and it's not looking good. He can't conceive of managing a full schedule of classes, worrying about grades/exams, and staying motivated all in the absence of in-person support. No significant opportunities to make friends, no visiting advisors or help centers in-person... it's not looking good. And he's still never even visited the campus of his university! 

I think the deadline to apply for a gap year is mid-June, so we'll see what happens before then, but he might be leaning that way. If he does do a gap year, he'd probably do some kind of a full-time (40 hr./wk) coding/development bootcamp-type program. Getting a really practical base would help him with his more theoretical CS coursework once he matriculates.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

My son is very introverted. He has no problems doing online classes. He just finished his 11th grade as college PSEO students and earned 24 credits. Next school year he will continue PSEO. I think if he were a senior this year, he would definitely start college no matter what. He is motivated to continue with his study towards computer science major. 

Yes, my daughter also did dual enrollment through high school (85 credits) and had many online classes and usually preferred them to going in for lectures.  She's very comfortable with having classes online.  She's also a computer science major!  đŸ™‚Â Â 

• Thanks 1

Kassia, 

Wow, 85 credits! Amazing! She must be a really efficient and hardworking learner. My son only got 24 credits for his junior PSEO year. He will cap at 52 most probably. Does the 85 credits include any AP? I can't imagine 85 credits for two years of dual enrollment. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong

1 hour ago, UmmIbrahim said:

My son is seriously considering applying for a gap year. He would only do it if the university accepts his application to do so (we are definitely NOT redoing college applications, no way no how!). 

He had a hard time completing his DE coursework at the end of his senior year this spring. Working in the basement of a small home with sibling and family distractions all around him and trying to focus in spite of his worries about what was going on in the world (he's my serious, worrying firstborn) was not easy for him. He's an introvert but really needs an element of "in person" to succeed. He sees the writing on the wall of how a freshman year "online" might go for him, and it's not looking good. He can't conceive of managing a full schedule of classes, worrying about grades/exams, and staying motivated all in the absence of in-person support. No significant opportunities to make friends, no visiting advisors or help centers in-person... it's not looking good. And he's still never even visited the campus of his university! 

I think the deadline to apply for a gap year is mid-June, so we'll see what happens before then, but he might be leaning that way. If he does do a gap year, he'd probably do some kind of a full-time (40 hr./wk) coding/development bootcamp-type program. Getting a really practical base would help him with his more theoretical CS coursework once he matriculates.

For your son, I can see gap year is the best. Physical environment at home has to be quiet and peaceful with not much distraction to make at home online classes work. I definitely think everyone benefits from in-person learning, even my introverted son. I just hope the competition for 2021 graduates won't be too hard. Ds does have a very high ACT score. I am so glad he took it at the beginning of his junior year. But he may not be able to finish his Eagle Scout rank. And with nothing else to show for his extracurricular achievement, I feel the pressure to push him to get Eagle so he won't look weak for his application. On the other hand, doing an eagle project now is very challenging and I don't want to push him over the edge. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Kassia, 

Wow, 85 credits! Amazing! She must be a really efficient and hardworking learner. My son only got 24 credits for his junior PSEO year. He will cap at 52 most probably. Does the 85 credits include any AP? I can't imagine 85 credits for two years of dual enrollment. 

She started taking classes in her freshman year so she had four years of DE (the last two years were full time).  No AP classes, though.

52 credits is great!  Any credits are helpful!  đŸ™‚

re: a Gap Year 
For anyone considering a gap year, the concept is NOT to just take a year off and do nothing, but instead to accomplish specific goals that were planned in advance for the gap year -- such as: work, travel, volunteering, gaining specific types of experience and maturing, etc. Here are links to some good past discussions on the idea of a gap year -- all of them are linked on PAGE 6 of the big pinned thread "College Motherlode" at the top of the College Board. đŸ™‚

Let’s chat about gap years 
Revisiting the gap year concept 
Talk to me about a gap year after high school 
Gap year ideas: have we lost our minds (specifically a wilderness experience) 
When to apply for college when a gap year is being planned? 
Gap year and financial aid 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My son isn’t going to take a gap year.  He’ll be attending a CC part-time in the fall.  My dh works at the CC and they’re not sure yet whether the classes will be online or in person.  They’re all frantically trying to figure out what to do and are trying to have several contingencies in place (start in person? If there’s an outbreak, move to online?  Start online? Hybrid classes where some students come some days and other students come other days?)

2 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Kassia, is this through your state? My state only allow two years of DE total, for 11th and 12th grade only. I have not heard of four years of DE options until yours. Amazing! 

I don't know what state Kassia is in, but in my area (IL) we have to pay full price for DE, which kind of bites. The upside is as long as the kid can pass the Accuplacer, they can take classes. My child started second semester freshman year with one class, then two classes next semester, 3 the next, to full time Junior and Senior. She graduated this week with an AS. 

• Like 5

She will be attending - hopefully starting off in person. I expect she will be home after Thanksgiving.. hoping she makes it until then. She was interested in rushing a sorority and that has been postponed. Everything is so different for these kids. They will be resilient. 

• Like 1

My college sr's U is currently saying that they will be offering classes via a in class or online or hybrid, student's choice.  BUt, today she received an email saying that the in-person commencement has been canceled and it was supposed to be just a couple of days before classes start???  Not sure that bodes well for actual in person classes if they can't manage commencement a couple of days before that.

1 minute ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My college sr's U is currently saying that they will be offering classes via a in class or online or hybrid, student's choice.  BUt, today she received an email saying that the in-person commencement has been canceled and it was supposed to be just a couple of days before classes start???  Not sure that bodes well for actual in person classes if they can't manage commencement a couple of days before that.

Presumably commencement would be a large gathering? Maybe they're planning to limit in person class size.

Just now, maize said:

Presumably commencement would be a large gathering? Maybe they're planning to limit in person class size.

Not sure how that will work with dorms and moving in.  Pandemonium is pretty much that scenario.  They could also do commencement by dept and keep it small and in separate locations without completely canceling.  I just don't see them making it work.  Either large public colleges are going to have to be "as usual" or not in person b/c colleges and crowds go hand in hand.  Dining halls? How are they going to limit the number of students who need to eat?  They might restrict entrance, but it is just going to cause major headaches and complaining.  I would think commencement would be one of the easier issues to deal with.

4 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Kassia, is this through your state? My state only allow two years of DE total, for 11th and 12th grade only. I have not heard of four years of DE options until yours. Amazing! 

In Ohio, DE is allowed in 7-12th grade.  It used to be only 11th and 12th when my older kids were in school.  

A homeschooling friend's daughter was admitted to Stanford, but she's put in a request to defer.  A future IR major, she's planning to study a foreign language during her time off.  Why pay full tuition only to study from home?  I haven't heard if her request has be accepted.  I was just hearing that many schools won't be giving out deferrals willy-nilly because of how it will upset admissions for freshmen entering in 2021 if they have to absorb all those would-be sophomores as freshmen.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

My dd also did 4 years of DE, starting her freshman year of hs. She also had over 80 credits. Different places have wildly different rules. She decided to get an AS and transfer instead of starting as a freshman, which has turned out to be a blessing,  because instead of this being her freshman year of college, she now only has one more year and she's done.  It means she only got one semester of 'normal' college before thing went sideways, but she's glad to only have one more year to navigate. She's actually starting to hope things just stay online...

My mom suggested she take a year off, since she's young anyways, but she just wants to be done...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

DD18 plans to attend her university in person. I talked to her a bit about a gap year, but she was never very interested, and she is the type of person who will love being on campus and would wither if she didn't get to go. Although I personally have qualms about her going, she is committed, and I have accepted it.

We received an email today saying that her college will have all classes available for in-person, as well as asynchronous and synchronous online options. They want individual students who have circumstances change mid-term to be able to continue with classes they have started. And it also gives them flexibility to respond and switch to online classes as an entire school, if it becomes necessary again. They said they are changing things in the cafeteria (small school, so only one main cafeteria) to allow for social distancing and will maximize their options for students to have single rooms. They will not, of course, be able to give every student a single, but (they didn't say this) if enrollment drops, they would have more space than usual.

I do wonder about move-in day, because having so many families passing in the halls and setting up things in rooms will provide particular challenges. There will be a parent question-and-answer phone call with administration sometime soon, and it's something to ask about.

DD will major in exercise science, which includes sciences with labs, and close contact with classmates, so it will be interesting to see how those classes adapt.

I like the idea of having a long break between Thanksgiving and New Year's, but her school is not planning on changing the calendar (or at least has not discussed that with parents/students yet). It would be nice if she could quarantine for two weeks at home and then (perhaps) be able to see grandparents at Christmas.

@easypeasyWhen does he have to make his final decision?

@Storygirl My rising-senior Dd#2 plans to major in Kinesiology (which I believe is similar to Exercise Science). I know a junior in college with the same major who had a class that couldn't finish this semester because it really needed the in person aspect but I can't remember what it was. I know the Nursing majors struggled quite a bit this last semester.

Dd#2 plans on taking one in person class & one online class this fall (dual enrollment), but she wouldn't mind both being online, I bet.

Dd#1's school has slowly & quietly started changing some of the classes to hybrid or online for the fall. I'm still hoping for on campus classes for those who want to be there.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

@easypeasyWhen does he have to make his final decision?

@Storygirl My rising-senior Dd#2 plans to major in Kinesiology (which I believe is similar to Exercise Science). I know a junior in college with the same major who had a class that couldn't finish this semester because it really needed the in person aspect but I can't remember what it was. I know the Nursing majors struggled quite a bit this last semester.

Dd#2 plans on taking one in person class & one online class this fall (dual enrollment), but she wouldn't mind both being online, I bet.

Dd#1's school has slowly & quietly started changing some of the classes to hybrid or online for the fall. I'm still hoping for on campus classes for those who want to be there.

Yes, the hands-on aspects are hard to learn, if you can't get near people! I don't know how much of that is in the Intro to Exercise Science class that she will take her freshman year. I'm hoping that an intro class would not be as hard to adapt, but there are a lot of clinicals during the junior and senior years. Hopefully there will be a vaccine by the time our daughters get to that stage of their experience, but who knows?

• Like 1

My youngest is graduating this year. Currently her university (Colorado State, Ft Collins) is still planning on in-person classes this fall.  If anything changes students will be given options such as gaps or online. She will be applying for a gap year/gap semester if classes are not in person.  She has a specific science degree she is after and it requires lab classes that cannot be emulated online and these begin her first semester as a freshman. 

• Like 1

My oldest graduated from high school TODAY(!) and has decided to stay another year at the local cc where he will do classes either in person or online. This term, everything was online.

We had a number of friends whose kids had to make a last minute scramble as dorms closed, class schedules changed, etc. Ds doesn't want to get locked into a housing contract and then be forced to make a cross-country scramble if things get bad again this winter. So, he's home with us for another year. 

• Like 5

My current "incoming freshman" just finished a gap year - so another is not going to happen. She's going halfway across the country for school and fully intends to go even though she had closer-to-home options  

Some other students she already has met who are attending her same university are saying if it's online classes, they're gapping it. But the university is fairly positive that they'll be in person in the fall and they have a solid enough plan, so we are hopeful!!

• Like 1

DS plans to go back even if classes are online, because he really misses his friends and teammates. He has an apartment off campus, though, so I worry a bit less  than I would if he was in a dorm. When he lived in the dorm as a freshman, he was sick ALL the time, it was really awful. I have no idea how colleges are going to handle thousands of kids living in dorms, each having hundreds of different contacts every day, while sharing common areas and communal bathrooms. That just seems like a recipe for disaster.Â đŸ˜Ÿ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

DS plans to go back even if classes are online, because he really misses his friends and teammates. He has an apartment off campus, though, so I worry a bit less  than I would if he was in a dorm. When he lived in the dorm as a freshman, he was sick ALL the time, it was really awful. I have no idea how colleges are going to handle thousands of kids living in dorms, each having hundreds of different contacts every day, while sharing common areas and communal bathrooms. That just seems like a recipe for disaster.Â đŸ˜Ÿ

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking.  Dd was planning on going back even if classes were online, but as this is playing out is starting to change her mind.  She'd also be off-campus, but we'd have to sign a lease, unless the places somehow make an exception this year.   Now she's almost hoping they just go online, and even stay that way for the spring.  She doesn't want to even think about finding an apartment mid-year amid all this - and then again, would they make her sign a 1-year lease?  That wouldn't work at all.  She's been floating the idea of moving to the nearby city where she lived her last semester of CC, with a friend who just graduated and will be working, if the university allows her to take her classes online for the year.  Fortunately accounting is a fairly online-friendly major...

Edited by Matryoshka

August will be dd18's second semester of Freshman year and yes, she's continuing.  She did take the summer off, because they announced that summer semester is online.  Fall should be in-person, as usual.  We're in Texas and they're supposed to be allowing the universities to open.  If something stupid happens and it's online in the fall, too - she's just going to continue online, unfortunately.  But, she'll have to drop Biology and Sailing I.  Because, you can't do those two classes online.  We decided we could find two other classes to replace those - like government or literature....

On 5/20/2020 at 11:19 AM, JadeOrchidSong said:

For your son, I can see gap year is the best. Physical environment at home has to be quiet and peaceful with not much distraction to make at home online classes work. I definitely think everyone benefits from in-person learning, even my introverted son. I just hope the competition for 2021 graduates won't be too hard. Ds does have a very high ACT score. I am so glad he took it at the beginning of his junior year. But he may not be able to finish his Eagle Scout rank. And with nothing else to show for his extracurricular achievement, I feel the pressure to push him to get Eagle so he won't look weak for his application. On the other hand, doing an eagle project now is very challenging and I don't want to push him over the edge. 

He should have support from his troop to get Eagle. More challenging, yes, but absolutely possible! There have been multiple  Eagle projects done here in the last few weeks. With extra creativity and cautionary measures. BOR can happen online, if necessary. Totally worth it to try to finish. 

On 5/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, JadeOrchidSong said:

There’s no state funding for DE in my state and some CCs like mine allow enrollment before 16. Also, all state schools are on quarters here, so full time students usually earn 45 credits per year. There are also several private schools that allow DE for homeschoolers and each has their own rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

45 credits a year? That's a lot! 

15 per quarter which is about 4 courses. From what I understand, many years ago most classes were worth only 3 credits rather than four, so students were taking about 15 per year. Now it’s more like 12. They really cram lots of learning into the quarter system. My son took classes at a local semester system LAC during high school where the norm is four courses per semester. When he went to a university on the quarter system and started taking four per quarter, he said every quarter class he took covered more material in more depth than any semester class he took at the LAC, yet he earned less credit for them. Obviously this is just one data point, but it was interesting to observe.

Just now, Frances said:

15 per quarter which is about 4 courses. From what I understand, many years ago most classes were worth only 3 credits rather than four, so students were taking about 15 per year. Now it’s more like 12. They really cram lots of learning into the quarter system. My son took classes at a local semester system LAC during high school where the norm is four courses per semester. When he went to a university on the quarter system and started taking four per quarter, he said every quarter class he took covered more material in more depth than any semester class he took at the LAC, yet he earned less credit for them. Obviously this is just one data point, but it was interesting to observe.

This is very college dependent.  Most colleges around here are still 3 credits for most classes; 4 is only for things with a lab or some math classes or other class that's expected to take more time for whatever reason.  My nephew is going to the public flagship one state over, and virtually all the classes are 4 credits - so he'll have taken a lot less classes in 4 years - it's still 120 to graduate.  It's an average state school - the classes are not harder than the ones in the other colleges around here.  Not sure what's going on with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

This is very college dependent.  Most colleges around here are still 3 credits for most classes; 4 is only for things with a lab or some math classes or other class that's expected to take more time for whatever reason.  My nephew is going to the public flagship one state over, and virtually all the classes are 4 credits - so he'll have taken a lot less classes in 4 years - it's still 120 to graduate.  It's an average state school - the classes are not harder than the ones in the other colleges around here.  Not sure what's going on with that.

Yes, of course. That’s why I said my son’s experience was one data point. It is interesting how much things vary, yet at some level they have to be standardized. Once my son started taking classes at his quarter system university, he realized just how ridiculous the number of transfer credits he got for his semester classes was. He was happy that it gave him so much registration priority, but he said the amount and depth of learning was in no way comparable.

College classes as high school ends up both with a Lot of college credits and a lot of high school ones. It's been rarefor DD not to have a semester with 10-12 high school credits due to college classes counting as a full credit for one 3/4 credit class. While she has a lot of college credits, since many were picked to tick high school boxes, I'm not expecting them all to be useful, although all but her graphic design classes are designed for transfer (the graphic arts program is considered an AAS program). 

I am a little concerned about next year as well,not for admissions so much (she's mostly planning to apply to schools where she is an overmatch and in some cases qualifies for automatic admissions) but scholarships. Less revenue this year, plus possibly students reapplying for next year, plus all the mess with grades and test scores this year....it makes me nervous that she may well get in, but find that schools that were affordable no longer are. And that when she gets there she may well have trouble getting classes due to the school having an oversized freshman class and a sophomore, junior and senior class that probably all avoided classes with labs the prior year!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I am a little concerned about next year as well,not for admissions so much (she's mostly planning to apply to schools where she is an overmatch and in some cases qualifies for automatic admissions) but scholarships. Less revenue this year, plus possibly students reapplying for next year, plus all the mess with grades and test scores this year....it makes me nervous that she may well get in, but find that schools that were affordable no longer are. And that when she gets there she may well have trouble getting classes due to the school having an oversized freshman class and a sophomore, junior and senior class that probably all avoided classes with labs the prior year!

Yes, I'm worried about the money for my 2021 high school grad as well. He knows where he wants to go and we figured it would make sense financially but I don't know how all this is going to change. We always, of course, were aware that automatic scholarships were subject to changes every year but didn't expect this level of change across all universities.

I do keep hearing of students that were college freshman this current year who were away at school who have decided to remain home next year and attend the local flagship. So will they pick up as many as they lose? I just don't know how this is all going to shake out. We will likely still send ds to his desired school even if the money is not as good as we hoped a few months ago. His next couple choices likely will also be more expensive than anticipated so I'm not sure what his good option will be and he really has done enough de that community college isn't going to make sense either. 

10 hours ago, dmmetler said:

And that when she gets there she may well have trouble getting classes due to the school having an oversized freshman class and a sophomore, junior and senior class that probably all avoided classes with labs the prior year!

FWIW, registration priority generally goes by the number of credits, so if she is transferring in 60 or more credits, then she would most likely have the same registration priority as a junior even if she is technically a freshman. Also, Honors College students usually get priority over non-Honors, so if she's in an Honors College and has a Junior-level number of credits, then the only people ahead of her would likely be Honors College Seniors (and possibly athletes, but they would probably not be competing for the same courses). 

• Like 2