Menu

Where Do I Want to Live?

EmseB

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

No hurricanes? I'd LOL if hurricanes were actually funny. 

It's true that the Raleigh area isn't often hugely impacted by them. But I dare ya to tell the folks in Wilmington and on the OBX that they don't get hurricanes.

(You might not want to tell the folks up in Boone/the high country that they don't get blizzards, either.)

39 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

She was specifically responding to my post about Raleigh, she wasn't talking about coastal NC.  No hurricanes here.  We get heavy rain from them sometimes and once in a while a tree gets knocked over, which can keep the reporters talking for HOURS, but the power only goes out for a day or less which isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I just meant Raleigh, not all of NC 🙂

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Eastern Washington has some areas that would fit.  Snow in the winter, hot in the summer.  Multiple places you can buy a decent house for $350K, and those cities have costcos.

Moses Lake (they have a really nice water park), Tri-cities, Spokane/Post Falls

I have family in that area. 

51 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

She was specifically responding to my post about Raleigh, she wasn't talking about coastal NC.  No hurricanes here.  We get heavy rain from them sometimes and once in a while a tree gets knocked over, which can keep the reporters talking for HOURS, but the power only goes out for a day or less which isn't a big deal.

Which is exactly why I mentioned Raleigh in my second line. 😉

Edited by Pawz4me

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I am about an hour away from the city of St. Joseph, too! Small world. 🙂 

My mother was born in Albany.  (She still has cousins in the area.)   St. Joe was "the big city".

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their input! Tulsa and Eastern WA were already on our list, but I've definitely added Dayton and surrounding area now for the job hunt.

I also don't mind Raleigh, but the winters might be too mild for DH.

Thanks for helping me browse zillow and dream, lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

So does middle Tennessee. Near Nashville is good, clarksville is nice too. We live on the northwest side of Nashville and you can definitely get a really nice place for your budget, op.

Yes! Not much snow, though. Can definitely get nice housing for decent prices in Clarksville. Clarksville is great for homeschooling.

• Thanks 1

If you enjoy outdoor activities, the Syracuse, NY area is really nice.  There are lots of recreational options.  There are numerous state parks and waterfalls.  So much hiking, skiing, golfing, kayaking, etc.  They have salmon fishing here.

If you're not that outdoorsy then the Louisville, KY area is nice but it might not have enough winter. 

Also look into Lawrence, Kansas.  It is much hillier than most people imagine.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I have family in that area. 

My husband was raised just outside of Spokane, my MIL still lives there.  She’s married and lives in Spokane now (her first husband was my FIL and they lived out in the country until my husband started college and moved to Seattle.  Some of their extended family is in Northern Idaho.  My husband’s grandmother is still living there, but his brother has moved overseas and his father died back in 2006.  

We’ve contemplated moving to Spokane.  There are some nice things about the area.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, EmseB said:

Where in the continental US do I want to live if I want:

--Low cost of living (I know this is subjective, let's say that I want to be able to get 2500sqft house $350k in a neighborhood that isn't sketchy)

--All four seasons (or within a days drive to snow in winter)

--Big enough city to rate a Costco and similar stores but not a huge place, so I guess a bigger small city to mid-size

--Not totally flat and featureless

--I want to have backyard chickens, so chickens should not be outlawed

Does this  🦄  place exist?

Here, I found you a house. 😉 

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4103-Gustav-St_Iowa-City_IA_52245_M89255-29604?view=qv

Four seasons
State flagship city with multicultural community  (Tuition is $10k.)
Fantastic hospital
Costco nearby
You may have up to four hens.

It's not where we live, but it is where DS goes to school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fredericksburg, VA? It's a smaller town feel but with a great little downtown, lots of nature areas around, 1 1/2 hours to DC, four seasons and admittedly terrible traffic.  We are moving away and won't miss the traffic one bit, but we love our neighborhood (15 min north) and have trails all around.  Here is a random pic I found on my phone of one of the quarry pics 10 minutes hike from my house. 

IMG_3539.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

She was specifically responding to my post about Raleigh, she wasn't talking about coastal NC.  No hurricanes here.  We get heavy rain from them sometimes and once in a while a tree gets knocked over, which can keep the reporters talking for HOURS, but the power only goes out for a day or less which isn't a big deal.

My sister lived in High Point for years - loved it. I have family with a second home in Asheville, and OMG I absolutely love it there!

We've talked about Northern GA or NC as ideal places to live, but honestly, I'd love somewhere like CO where the summers are awesome for being outside and active, and being able to be out skiing in winter. It's just way too far from the gulf coast for my liking, and that's our go-to for the beach.

2 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

My sister lived in High Point for years - loved it. I have family with a second home in Asheville, and OMG I absolutely love it there!

We've talked about Northern GA or NC as ideal places to live, but honestly, I'd love somewhere like CO where the summers are awesome for being outside and active, and being able to be out skiing in winter. It's just way too far from the gulf coast for my liking, and that's our go-to for the beach.

NW AR doesn't have the snow for skiing, but it is gorgeous.  Lots of lakes and outdoor stuff.  And not too far from the gulf coast. A lot of AR reminds me of High Point. I spent a week or 10 days in HP every spring and fall for many years.  And sometimes shorter trips in between.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:12 AM, StaceyinLA said:

Following because me/my kids are always talking about where we can all move. We want somewhere similar to do this that encourages a lot of outdoor/family activities so we can have a healthier overall lifestyle (Louisiana is just too dang hot to do much outdoors other than swim or be on a boat for 4-5 months out of the year).

I always think you're in Los Angeles, despite reading multiple times that your LA is Louisiana. For whatever reason it's stuck in my brain as your being a California girl and that's that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I suppose the Pocono Mountain area fits your criteria (I live in Northeast PA), but I assume you want to live in a delightful place. By far and away, Lancaster PA is the most beautiful delightful place I have ever lived in, and I would move back there in a second if I could. My husband and all 4 kids feel the same way. Lancaster PA has my vote! It fits all your criteria and then some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What about Idaho Falls, Idaho? 6 BR 3BA ranch on a 1/4 acre for $319k: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/N-Teal-Blue-Dr_Idaho-Falls_ID_83401_M21173-79425?view=qv

Idaho Falls has a Costco, Sprouts, and some decent shopping while still maintaining a smaller town feel.  You're about an hour out from the Grand Tetons. 

I would love that I think and we've looked at jobs at INL too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

We considered Idaho and Wyoming but the distance from major pediatric medical, as well as the in state colleges, put a damper on it.  And even in a career field with almost zero unemployment, my husband couldn’t find a job that paid enough in an area he was interested in with either state.  It was sad because they’d have been perfect for us otherwise.  

That is true. For complicated pediatric medical (heart surgeries, etc.) your best bet is Primary Children’s two hours south in Utah. There are three hospitals locally, though. 

Idaho State has a campus in Idaho Falls with internship possibilities at INL. 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, who knows what will actually happen, but we seem to have narrowed our job search down to Tulsa and Dayton. Tulsa has fewer actual jobs that fit but is slightly cheaper and has appeal for reasons related to proximity to extended family. Dayton has way more jobs in my DH's career field at way better salaries that would give us a higher standard of living and more flexibility, but no family close by.

Thanks to all who gave me some ideas!!

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Well, who knows what will actually happen, but we seem to have narrowed our job search down to Tulsa and Dayton. Tulsa has fewer actual jobs that fit but is slightly cheaper and has appeal for reasons related to proximity to extended family. Dayton has way more jobs in my DH's career field at way better salaries that would give us a higher standard of living and more flexibility, but no family close by.

Thanks to all who gave me some ideas!!

Tulsa is a pretty cool city. 

19 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay but you have to message us if you move here.  We are long overdue for a CinDay metro area meetup on this board!

I can't decide if my online life and real life intersecting is a pro or a con, honestly! 😂🤪

• Haha 1