Menu

Phone Privacy

Reefgazer

By something like find my iPhone app and the Android equivalent, then yes. Is there hidden code in the firmware to send info to whoever/whatever using the onboard battery, I don’t know (it can be done for electronics goods but I don’t think any manufacturer is interested in draining onboard battery for that). 

• Like 2

What are you up to, Reefgazer? 🤔

Turning the phone off prevents it from being tracked in the standard ways. If the FBI or well-funded criminals are after you, or someone who has ready access to your phone, you will need to remove the battery in case there's hidden malware. This is not possible with many phones. Anyone who requires being untrackable at certain times needs to choose their phone with care.  

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Even if your phone cannot be tracked, what about your car ? What about traffic cams, neighbor CCTVs

Domestic violence or stalker. People have passed their phones to others for decoy when they have violent stalkers and not enough evidence for restraining order. Even with restraining orders, some still get killed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

To answer your question, probably. But I am not sure what is embedded in hardware. 

Even if your phone cannot be tracked, what about your car ? What about traffic cams, neighbor CCTVs....You see where I am going with this. If someone wants you tracked, they will be able to find you be it hackers or the government with all the technology available now. So best is acknowledge that and live in the matrix world where privacy laws allegedly shield you. 

I'm wondering about phone-tracking at the moment; I am aware of the other methods of tracking.  CCTV and traffic cams can verify a person at those points only, but phones can trace your close-to-exact route and determine how long you were in any one place.  I walk almost everywhere in my neighborhood and surrounding area (unless I am travelling directly to work), so my car isn't much of a concern.  And I pay cash when I shop.  😉

Edited by Reefgazer

I've been leaving mine at home when possible. I have location services off & disabled, keep the phone off, but still think it is better to leave it home.

If I go somewhere & need to be able to call someone at some point, I bring our ancient flip phone which our provider keeps telling me will stop being useable soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I've been leaving mine at home when possible. I have location services off & disabled, keep the phone off, but still think it is better to leave it home.

Why? Are you worried about someone in particular tracking you, or just in general? I try to be diligent about privacy and location settings, but I mostly don't care if the world knows I went to the craft store and then my mom's house. Plenty of people are seeing where I am in person, so it's not like leaving my phone at home will help me falsify an alibi 😼 

And why have a cell phone if you want to leave it at home as much as possible? So many questions! 

22 hours ago, klmama said:

Or they could leave it at home.  

They may already be out with their phone when they suddenly realize they are being tracked and followed, because they were an accidental witness to a crime. If you watched more unrealistic action movies, you would know this 😁

Edited by katilac
  • Like 4

Is this a Covid-19 contact tracing worry?  I don’t know how to address that, I think it’s dependent on apps that aren’t developed yet anyway.

But I do think that a simple solution to the worry that a particular phone is being tracked might be just to get another phone?  Like a pre-paid phone or something similar, to take with you when out and about, in case you need to make a call.  Power off the phone in question and leave it at home.

I hope you are ok.  Just considering someone being stalked gives me the shivers, so I’m hoping this is more of a rhetorical question than anything else.

• Like 1

I'm annoyed at all the "anonymous" data tracking that is done & then posted. It has always happened and I figured it wasn't including my data but now I don't know.

So I leave my Android phone home. I used to take my phone for internet access at the library or to listen to an audiobook on the road. I'd rather the radio or a book than to have my data involuntarily included in the data being tracked. It is the principle of the thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Valley Girl said:

I hope you're OK, Reefgazer, and that whatever has you concerned is more just wanting privacy (which I totally get) rather than a safety issue.

Oh, perfectly ok.  Just considering ditching the phone entirely for more privacy.  Not foolproof privacy, just more.  Thanks, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Is this a Covid-19 contact tracing worry?  I don’t know how to address that, I think it’s dependent on apps that aren’t developed yet anyway.

But I do think that a simple solution to the worry that a particular phone is being tracked might be just to get another phone?  Like a pre-paid phone or something similar, to take with you when out and about, in case you need to make a call.  Power off the phone in question and leave it at home.

I hope you are ok.  Just considering someone being stalked gives me the shivers, so I’m hoping this is more of a rhetorical question than anything else.

All ok, just generally privacy concerns.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

You are still trackable with your flip phone, just FYI.

Yep, but I feel a lot more comfy that there is less trackability with it off than an Android off. [I have read enough lost-person articles that they need it on to triangulate.] I don't take any phone with me anymore unless I need to call someone at the other end of the drive. 

1 hour ago, WendyAndMilo said:

You are still trackable with your flip phone, just FYI.

I like flip phones. At least Facebook, Google and what have you won’t know where I went to buy groceries for example. My kids and my husband use my iPhone sometimes because they forgot to charge theirs. So Facebook got pretty confused and I get “weird” adverts. Google and Facebook can’t decide which political party I dislike more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I'm annoyed at all the "anonymous" data tracking that is done & then posted. It has always happened and I figured it wasn't including my data but now I don't know.

So I leave my Android phone home. I used to take my phone for internet access at the library or to listen to an audiobook on the road. I'd rather the radio or a book than to have my data involuntarily included in the data being tracked. It is the principle of the thing.

There was one just recently done with covid stuff and they used data from apps where users had allowed location tracking.  So if that’s the main worry (official science studies etc) turning off location services on all the apps should be sufficient. 

• Like 1

Also I found out if you go into advanced your iphone stores data about your frequently visited locations and how long you were there.  It was kind of helpful to me because ds needed to created a backlog of time spent on a specific activity but if i was serious about privacy concerns I’d be pretty uncomfortable about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

[I have read enough lost-person articles that they need it on to triangulate.] I don't take any phone with me anymore unless I need to call someone at the other end of the drive. 

See, my mind immediately goes to but then they can't triangulate your location when your car veers off of the road and into a ravine! 

In all seriousness, being able to call for help while on the road was the biggest reason I got a cell phone in the first place (long ago). 

• Like 3