Menu

Science at Home for an AL 2nd Grader

We want to begin doing science next year but dont know where to begin looking.

Hubby would like to  introduce electronics and so what is out there besides Snap Circuits?

Are there any books/lessons to go with Snap Circuits? I was looking on Amazon and didn't see many books on electronics for kids. Can anyone recommend a good publisher?

Where do you go after Snap Circuits?

Is Snap Circuits to MAKE Electronics too big of a jump?

We have also thought of doing a unit on Human Anatomy. Are there any neat models that you like and recommend? 

Edited by mathmarm

We want to plan to do 2nd grade 100% in house-just in case we can't participate in external groups for any reason so 4H and what not is out.

The Safe and Simple book looks good. I will have Hubby read it through to see what he thinks. We may just stock up on items for the book. He wants a strong hands on component for science so we need a mix of experiences and investigations that are supported with reading materials.

I haven't thought much about rigor-level. We are planning to include science because we want a hands-on subject that we know he'll enjoy.

Hubby is planning to create the units so that he can toggle the topics and difficulty level.

We want to use kits, models and science demos and read thematic books where they fit the investigations, rather than base our study on a book.

If you were planning to make anatomy something you do for just a week or two, this short anatomy coloring book aimed at younger audiences would be good. We also have the Squishy Human Body, which is meh for details, but is great from a sensory perspective and kid-approved in my house.

If you're looking to dive really deep in a particular body system or want something that can last all year, my current 2nd-grader-by-age loves, loves, LOVES this anatomy coloring book. He went through REAL Science Odyssey Biology level 2 a couple of years ago. It was just the right mix of reading, doing, and writing for him at the time. I think that laid a pretty solid foundation, and I highly recommend it, particularly for the hands-on and microscope labs. It is a year-long course, though.

Edited by Cake and Pi
fixed link, hopefully...
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For electrical stuff we just go to an electronics store, pick out a bunch of basic materials, then build random things and sometimes search for simple builds on the web. For second graders so much of the learning with this approach, imo, is about tenacity, precision, and safety. 

28 minutes ago, square_25 said:

On a completely unrelated note, the image under your username shows as a broken link to me for some reason. Anyone else see that? 

I know. I never changed it since SWB warned us all about copyrighted images a few years ago. 

I recommend checking out the EEME.co (not com) electronic kits. My DD did many of those, mostly independently (her emphatic choice) a few years ago. They were great, real hardware, real circuits, quality kits, quick response to our questions.  Snap Circuits were fun, but these were more engaging for her.

• Like 1