Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW20: 52 Books Bingo - Renaissance

Robin M

Now I'm trying to read too many books at once with all the books I grabbed a few weeks ago, but I finished two:

30.  "Educated" by Tara Westover.  

29.  "Gulp" by Mary Roach.  Simultaneously fascinating and gross!

28. "The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West" by Norma Baldwin Ricketts. 

27. "Follow Me to Zion: Stories from the Willie Handcart Pioneers" by Andrew D. Olsen and Jolene S. Allphin (LDS). 

26. "Sweetwater Rescue: The Willie and Martin Handcart Story" by Heidi Swinton and Lee Groberg (LDS). 

25. "I walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail" by Susan Arrington Madsen (LDS).  

24. "The Journey of the James G. Willie Handcart Company, October, 1856" by Gary Duane Long. 

23. "The Heavens are Open" by Wendy W. Nelson (LDS).

22. "Born to Change the World" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

21. "I Saw the Lord" by Kerry Muhlestein (LDS).

20.  "The Mormon Battalion" by B.H. Roberts. (LDS)

19.  "Bright, Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Austism" by Diane M. Kennedy and Rebecca S. Banks with Temple Grandin. 

18.  "More Than Miracles" by T.C. Christensen with Jolene S. Allphin. (LDS)

17.  "The Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton.  

16.  "Lifestyles of the Great & Spacious" by John Bytheway.  (LDS)  

15.  "How to Think" by Alan Jacobs.  

14.  "The Road from Coorain" by Jill Ker Conway.  Entry three from the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge.

13.  "All Rivers Run to the Sea" by Elie Wiesel.  Entry two from the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge. 

12.  "The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction" by Alan Jacobs. 

11.  "Whatever You Choose to Be" by Ann Romney. 

10.  "Five Little Pigs" by Agatha Christie.  2nd entry in the Agatha Christie challenge. 

9.  "Rethinking School" by Susan Wise Bauer.

8.  "The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax" by Dorothy Gilman.

7.  "The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax" by Dorothy Gilman.

6.  "A Faithful Reply to the CES Letter" by Jim Bennett.

5.  "Bamboozled by the "CES Letter"" by Michael R. Ash.

4. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.  Entry one - the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge.

3. "The Harlequin Tea Set" by Agatha Christie.   Entry one - Agatha Christie Challenge.

2. "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. 

1. "Unselfish: Love Thy Neighbor as Thy Selfie" compiled by Paul D. Parkinson.

Edited by Maus
copied in some extra code somehow
  • Like 7

I finished two books recently both of which I enjoyed.

I'd read the author's Shards of Honor last year, and I recommend reading that before this book. Here's the blurb for this science fiction novel:

"Cordelia Vorkosigan's plans for a peaceful married life (after all the bloodshed and trials recounted in SHARDS OF HONOR) are shattered when a poison gas attack, intended for her husband Aral, leaves her ill and her unborn child damaged. Resisting enormous pressure to abort her son, Cordelia struggles to keep her unborn child--transferred to a uterine replicator--alive while thwarting plans by a ruthless opponent to murder the young emperor and assume absolute power over all of Barrayar. Once again Cordelia displays her courage and her remarkable combat and leadership skills. Winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel."

I also enjoyed Heels Over Head by Elyse Springer.

(Adult content)

"Jeremy Reeve is one of the best divers in the world, and he’s worked hard to get where he is. He intends to keep pushing himself with one very clear goal in mind: winning gold at the summer Olympics in two years. That medal might be the only way to earn his father’s respect as an athlete.

Brandon Evans is everything Jeremy isn’t: carefree, outgoing, and openly gay. With his bright-blue eyes and dramatic tattoos, he’s a temptation that Jeremy refuses to acknowledge. But Jeremy can’t ignore how talented Brandon is—or that Brandon has no interest in using his diving skills to compete.

They’re opposites who are forced to work together as teammates, but Jeremy’s fear of his own sexuality and Brandon’s disinterest in anything “not fun” may end their partnership before it begins. Until a single moment changes everything, and they help each other discover that “team” can also mean family and love."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

This short story: My Friend the Murderer by Arthur Conan Doyle

"A murderer is hounded for the rest of his life—not for his crimes, but for the very act that won his freedom—in a story by the creator of Sherlock Holmes.

As leader of the Bluemansdyke gang, infamous criminal “Wolf-Tone” Maloney plays his part in a series of gruesome murders. But when the gang is finally caught in New Zealand, Maloney betrays his comrades in exchange for a pardon. Though he’s spared the gallows, he soon realizes he’ll never be free. From Dunedin and Sydney to London and Paris, Maloney finds himself hounded by vigilantes who see his betrayal as the worst crime of all.

This short story by Arthur Conan Doyle first appeared in London Society magazine in 1882."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I started reading the first book in Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changling series and have to say I am enjoying it.  I think there are 20 official books in this series and a huge number of novellas.......it seemed a bit daunting.  This was one of my goals for the year......trying the series not necessarily reading the whole thing!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40551683-slave-to-sensation

I also finished a historical romance by Loretta Chase called Lord Perfect.  My favorite part of it was the two tween characters were run away on an adventure together.  I just discovered this runaway pair feature in a historical romance of their own as grown ups.......now in the stack!😂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I started reading the first book in Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changling series and have to say I am enjoying it.  I think there are 20 official books in this series and a huge number of novellas.......it seemed a bit daunting.  This was one of my goals for the year......trying the series not necessarily reading the whole thing!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40551683-slave-to-sensation

Wonderful series! Alpha Night in the psy-changeling Trinity series which continued after Allegiance of Honor will be out in June. I enjoy Singh's writing and her Guild Hunter series is even better. I've read through both series two or three times.  Enjoy! 

• Like 2