Menu

What's with the ads?

Paige

Great Courses Plus vs Kanopy?

I want to use some of the Great Courses and thought I could watch them on Kanopy through my library. I can't find the courses I want to watch, yet they claim I have access to all the courses. Am I searching wrong? I can buy the Economics DVD (I don't want to use DVDs) but I can't find them streaming on Kanopy or when I search Great Courses Plus (without a membership). 

Buying outright is probably your best option. It isn't available through OverDrive for libraries to even purchase. They seem to keep that one pretty tight on availability.

• Like 1

Thanks! I wanted a philosophy that's not on Great Courses Plus either. I'm not sure if I want to buy them or use one of the open courses lectures I found.

I don't quite get this either and have had the same issue. I keep meaning to actually call the library since Kanopy access and content are via the library and vary from library to library. I figured they'd be able to explain exactly what they provide. The other thing I've been trying to understand with Kanopy is that it seems like some things are available sometimes but not all the time... I've actually wondered if it's like other library digital content and if too many people are streaming it, it actually stops showing it as an option. But that seems so different from how streaming platforms work that I thought I must be imagining it.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

The other thing I've been trying to understand with Kanopy is that it seems like some things are available sometimes but not all the time... 

I've found the same thing. I don't want to complain because it's free, but they say they have "all the courses" and unlimited credits. It seems like something is off. Maybe they mean "all the courses" my library has bought? DH purchased access to a bigger library for audiobooks- I should use his log in for kanopy and see if it shows more options.

• Like 1