Menu

Family Game to Play Over Zoom?

easypeasy

In the middle of next week, we're having a graduation party for DD1 with the grandparents over zoom. I'd like to have some sort of game we could all play, but am not having any great ideas. Anyone know of something that could work?

My initial thought was some sort of pictionary, maybe? But could zoom handle that many people shouting over one another? 😄

Have you ever heard of jackbox games? These are games that you can purchase multiple ways (Xbox, PlayStation, Apple, steam), the game is shown on your tv, and all of the players log in with their phones, which they use as their remote control. I bought a party pack and our favorite game to play is called Guesspionage. Anyway, there are several tutorials for playing jackbox games remotely, and I was able to set it up to do so with my parents on Mother’s Day. It was super fun and a great way to connect with them. 

My cousin had a bingo game with extended family over Zoom. I wasn't a part of it, but I thought it was a good idea. Their family has people ranging in age from 5 to 87, and bingo worked for everyone.

We have a Zoom graduation gathering with family for DD18 today, and we aren't playing games, but I think it's a fun idea that we could do another time.

Edited by Storygirl

I've played Scattergories and Pictionary using Zoom.  Both were fun.   With Scattegories you just need to have the list = someone can text you a photo to have your own.

With Pictionary - we had a separate online game that we all joined, but also had zoom going so we could talk with each other.  

We have been playing Code Names over zoom.

At first, one house set up the board and texted a picture of it to everyone and texted the code card to the clue givers.  Fil ended up making a bunch of boards and code cards in excel, so the clue giver picks a number and we use the board.  Sometimes, someone will share the screen and mark the words we guess, other times we just have two screens up, one with excel and one with zoom.  Has been working well, although I’m ready to play a different game!

• Like 2

Something fun for a graduation, if you can help coach through set up might be to make a trivia set or similar set about the graduate via  Kahoot. Everyone would need Zoom and the Kahoot app on a different device. We've done some Kahoot trivia over Zoom, and it was a lot of fun. 

We've also done some games already mentioned here. Something I haven't seen yet--we played Yahtzee with family last week over Zoom. If everyone doesn't have enough dice, there are online Yahtzee dice. 

• Like 1

We just played Fishbowl online with my family using fishbowl-game.com and Zoom. If you aren’t familiar with Fishbowl, it is a round of Taboo, a round of Charades and a round of Password all in one game. Since players submit the words/phrases used, you could ask everyone to theme their submissions for your DD’s graduation. Fishbowl is one of our favorite mixed group games and this website does a good job of moving it online. 

8 hours ago, Bookwoman said:

We just played Fishbowl online with my family using fishbowl-game.com and Zoom. If you aren’t familiar with Fishbowl, it is a round of Taboo, a round of Charades and a round of Password all in one game. Since players submit the words/phrases used, you could ask everyone to theme their submissions for your DD’s graduation. Fishbowl is one of our favorite mixed group games and this website does a good job of moving it online. 

If you are using your device for the Zoom call, how do you see the game? It looks like you have to join it online, too. 

11 hours ago, mom31257 said:

If you are using your device for the Zoom call, how do you see the game? It looks like you have to join it online, too. 

You do need one device per player for when it is your turn to see the cards. We set up the Zoom on DH’s laptop and then we each used our phones to log in to the Fishbowl website. 

• Thanks 1