Menu

Math for future engineer

Forgive me as I'm sure this question has been asked, but I can't seem to find the correct search terms to find the answer.

My son is going into 9th grade soon and he's looking at a possible engineering degree in the future. He has completed through TT Algebra 1 already. I've been hearing that TT isn't rigorous enough for those needing the higher college maths. Is this true? If so, what do y'all recommend?

Thanks for you help.

My daughter used TT for geometry (writing the proofs out on her own) and Thinkwell for Algebra 2.  After that, she took higher level DE classes (pre-calc, Calc 1 & 2, Linear Algebra, and Discrete Math).  She was fully prepared (A in every course and top of her class)  and scored very well on her PSAT/SAT (National Merit Finalist).  She will be majoring in computer science.  I would have continued with TT for Algebra 2, but she was interested in Thinkwell and ended up liking it better.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Use the math that works to give the student a solid understanding of the math topics. And that can be most anything.

I have seen people on these boards use MUS (which is about the lightest of the high school math programs) all the way through high school, and their students went on to become Engineers with no problems with the math courses required because MUS clicked for them and gave them a solid math foundation.

I've seen other people use the rigorous programs of Art of Problem Solving, or Chalkdust, or the Foerster textbooks -- and all go on and do well in the math courses for Engineering.

Again, if TT is really clicking and giving your student a solid understanding of math, that's what is most important. It will also be of great help if your student can get all the way through Pre-Calculus in high school. And possibly Calculus, but not necessary. Many Engineering programs have students start with Calculus I, even if they already took Calculus in high school. So taking it in high school is often just a nice "preview" to make taking it in college a little easier.

For perspective, my DS#1 (who is a natural math whiz) went up through Pre-Calc during high school, using no super-rigorous programs and no AP courses, and is completing his Mechanical Engineering program with 4.0 GPA in all of the math and physics courses. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Thanks for your help in this. He does enjoy and easily gets math done each day, so maybe I just need to be thankful that he's found something that works well for him.

I appreciate the time y'all took to help me remember that finding a good fit so the student can understand is probably the best program for that student.

• Like 2

My perspective is that is more about how well an individual student actually grasps concepts and can apply them to unique situations vs. saying that whatever math program is strong enough for engineering.  Some students can easily master and apply. All students,  no. I have seen students who could solve equations but couldn't solve problems bc they hadnt mastered concepts. Engineering is about application. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, crl said:

Forgive me as I'm sure this question has been asked, but I can't seem to find the correct search terms to find the answer.

My son is going into 9th grade soon and he's looking at a possible engineering degree in the future. He has completed through TT Algebra 1 already. I've been hearing that TT isn't rigorous enough for those needing the higher college maths. Is this true? If so, what do y'all recommend?

Thanks for you help.

I'm going to digress from the opinion of, "Sure, it's fine." 
Some kids do great with TT.  Some kids don't.  For some, there is simply not enough practice at applying concepts to become closely familiar.  Now, keep in mind my own experience was with Geometry (1st edition) for my oldest son, which I understand has made significant strides in the 3.0.  I made a huge mistake by jumping around.  We were humming right along.  He did Forester's initially.  I should have enrolled him in CC classes LONG before I did because my ability to teach Geometry is nil and my comfort with late Algebra 2 is suffering.  PreCalc? Non existent.
I wish I had known I couldn't just muddle through.  He was an engineering student who hadn't had Calculus.  It put him behind.  He took Eng. Math I and III and did fine, but has struggled with Eng Math II which he tells me is trig based.  He has now switched to Computer Science this past year (his junior year.) Maybe it is a unique scenario.  Maybe my kid just isn't math awesome.... The next daughter who is great at math is now 13.  I have plans for her to start at the CC next year.

ETA: Next meaning not this coming school year but her sophomore year of high school. 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 2