Menu

Why is buying a toaster hard???

KungFuPanda

I just need a pop up toaster  . . . maaaaybe a long slot one because I'm always toasting weirdly-shape homemade bread.  I don't need a toaster oven.  I stopped using mine when I got a stove that has a little half-sized oven over the big one.  I just need a toaster for toast.  Mine died today and I'd JUST made English muffin bread. 😥 Is this now a disposable item? If I pay more than $50 and it doesn't last more than a few years I'm gonna be annoyed. What do you all do? Just throw $20 at a toaster every other year?  Invest in a spendy one?  Tell me how to fix this.  It's been one day and I'm tired of broiling my toast and wondering when I'm going to burn it.  Please just tell me what to do. It worked with my lotion question yesterday. 😁

• Like 4

I thought this was going to be mask related as that politician complained that he couldn't buy a toaster because he wasn't willing to wear a mask. 🙄

My last toaster lasted for a decade. It was a Oster. But I didn't replace it and now I just broil everything.

I don't know how much it cost but my last one lasted over 20 years and was in fact still working when my kids threw it away and bought me a new one. I have a tendency to hold on to things until they not only die but absolutely cannot be fixed. My kids as they have grown have made it their mission to go through my house and slowly but surely eliminate all of the antiquated items. Sometimes I get some say in the replacement and other times I don't. I generally look for the most basic item I can find whereas they are more, "oh look, shiny."

27 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't need a toaster oven.  I stopped using mine when I got a stove that has a little half-sized oven over the big one.

Ok, here's the part I'm confused about. Doesn't your little oven have a toast feature?? Why are you having to broil? A nice toaster oven will have elements above and below. I can toast 6 slices of bread, but I can also do waffles, gigantic pancakes, whatever I want, all beautifully, flawlessly. It has a screen and dials to select number of slices and how dark you want it. https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=convection+toaster+oven&qid=1589513781&sr=8-19  Costs more than a toaster, but it would do right by that homemade bread... Doesn't take up that much more space than a 4 slice toaster, right? :biggrin:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, here's the part I'm confused about. Doesn't your little oven have a toast feature?? Why are you having to broil? A nice toaster oven will have elements above and below. I can toast 6 slices of bread, but I can also do waffles, gigantic pancakes, whatever I want, all beautifully, flawlessly. It has a screen and dials to select number of slices and how dark you want it. https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=convection+toaster+oven&qid=1589513781&sr=8-19  Costs more than a toaster, but it would do right by that homemade bread... Doesn't take up that much more space than a 4 slice toaster, right? :biggrin:

I ended up using this smaller, faster heating oven to do all the jobs my old toaster oven did EXCEPT for make toast. It doesn't have a toast feature, so I just need a pop up toaster for toast.  I don't want to make toast in the oven all the time because I will get distracted and burn 20% of my toast. I don't really want a 4 slice toaster to make four slices of toast, but it might be nice to have a long slotted kind so the oblong pieces of artisan-style loaves fit.  

My current toaster is in a narrow space between my microwave and my water boiler.  It works because the controls are on the end.  I would pass on any toasters with controls on the long side because I don't want to rearrange the space.  I can easily fit something that's 4-5 inches deeper in that space.  I don't actually know how much bigger the longer toasters are.  I was hoping the hive would have a clear favorite and I wouldn't have to think.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mominco said:

I have a cheapo Cuisinart 2-Slice Compact Plastic Toaster CPT-122BK .Had it at least 9 years.Its at DH's work right now.They make a 4 slice one as well.My SIl has the Cpt-435 Cuisinart.

I was thinking maybe this cuisinart:  

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPT-2400-086279117786-Artisan-Toaster/dp/B01LXQLRD1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3CEHFIAEUILC1&dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart+long+slot+toaster&qid=1589515634&sprefix=cuisinart+long+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

OOOOH THIS IS SO TRUE.  They are very hard to shop for, for simple and effective and durable without a gazillion bells and whistles.  I hear you.

I got a cuisenart from Costco about four years ago and my kids haven’t killed it yet.  It does a bang up awesome job on bagels and English muffins as well as toast.  Can’t complain, but I’d gone without for YEARS prior because I wasn’t happy with many of the offerings available.

It used to be that you could buy a $20 toaster, or get it as a wedding present, and use the thing for a couple decades.  Now, even if you shell out for an expensive one you still risk it dying in 3-5 years.  That's annoying.  I'd much rather use an old, ugly, working thing than shop.  The one that just died on me is a Hamilton Beach and it lasted about six years.

• Like 1

I have always had good luck with cheap, $10 toasters. 🤷‍♂️  Every time I've bought one, it's lasted me about 10 years.  I think it's one of those things that suffers from a diminished lifespan when over-engineered. 

If you really want one that will last forever, get a vintage Sunbeam Radiant toaster from eBay.  Those things are built like tanks.

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I have always had good luck with cheap, $10 toasters. 🤷‍♂️  Every time I've bought one, it's lasted me about 10 years.  I think it's one of those things that suffers from a diminished lifespan when over-engineered. 

If you really want one that will last forever, get a vintage Sunbeam Radiant toaster from eBay.  Those things are built like tanks.

I hear you.  You're right and I should follow your advice, but I think I'm spoiled for the bagel button now.  We only had it since this last toaster and we can't go back.

• Like 1

It’s pricey, but I’ve had this one for over 8 years and love it. It’s got wide slots so you can fit oddly shaped things or put two regular bread slices in side by side. I will say, occasionally the lift mechanism jams up, but we just unplug it and it usually resets itself. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BWMMCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

It’s pricey, but I’ve had this one for over 8 years and love it. It’s got wide slots so you can fit oddly shaped things or put two regular bread slices in side by side. I will say, occasionally the lift mechanism jams up, but we just unplug it and it usually resets itself. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BWMMCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually watched a video on that one today because I have a problem.  I'm tempted.  It has an extra two inches width and height over the cuisinart.  Do the sides get hot?

Edited by KungFuPanda

3 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

They get pretty warm, but not super hot. 

I'm really tempted.  It's a little pricey, but it it lasts a decade, that's fine.  The white plastic is so much easier to clean than anything shiny and silver.  I'd better step away from the computer before I impulse buy the rolls royce of toasters without measuring my space.

My toaster is a Black and Decker that I got super  cheap on Black Friday about ten years ago.  It's nothing fancy, but there's a bagel button and another for frozen items, like waffles.  I'm sure Amazon or Wal-Mart has a similar model for around $20. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kand said:

We only ever bought $10-20 toasters, and they never worked great, and always would do this awful grinding thing if you tried to put them back down right after popping them up.  Then 7 years ago someone gave us a Breville 😍. I never knew a toaster could work that well. I love, love that toaster. 

Like I just said, I didn’t know I could love a toaster until we got a Breville. I never would have spent that much on a toaster myself, but now, if it ever dies, I will get another. 

I think I simply don't have strong feelings about toast? lol But I am curious about a toaster that could inspire such strong feelings!

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

I thought this was going to be mask related as that politician complained that he couldn't buy a toaster because he wasn't willing to wear a mask. 🙄

My last toaster lasted for a decade. It was a Oster. But I didn't replace it and now I just broil everything.

What, you need a mask to order stuff online now? I'm not even sure what sort of store you go into to buy a toaster, tbh. We got our current one off the curb. It works more or less fine, which is exactly what the note said when we picked it up. Free toaster!

• Haha 1

We have the same issue. Our trusty toaster died a couple years ago and we are now on our second replacement. Going spend does not help! We still get burnt toast and this thing launches the toast into the air. We actually had flames the other day.

KungFu you are not alone.   We have had the same issues. With a really cheap toaster to one I thought was the best toaster we'd every had which was quite a bit more expensive. We don't have a toaster now and I strongly prefer toasted bread, but my DW got tired of me taking them for warranty service and then throwing them out. The very cheapest one,  I took it back to the store where I bought it, and they sent it for service once and then I brought it in again and they told me it would be better if they gave me a store credit, which they did. Of all of the little electrical things in our kitchen, the Toasters were the most problematic. 

Now I kind of want the cuisinart that you linked. 😁It looks perfect to me! My current one is a GE that is surely over a decade old. It has the bagel button, which we like, but recently it seems the bagel isn’t warm enough all the way through even though it’s toasted enough on both sides. FWIW, I have that expensive Breville toaster oven and still like to use my two-slot toaster! Shameful probably. 😂

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

This might fit the bill since you want it for homemade bread.I gave up looking for good toasters and coffee makers a few years ago.GL

So, I had the Breville in my cart, but then I measured the space with a tape measure instead of my heart. It was just too big. The cuisinart will be here Sunday. I’m pretty sure I just spent $50 on something that’s destined to disappoint me, but hopefully I’ll get a few years of decent toast first. I over-toasted something today in the oven. I’ve been home for two months. The little things are more important now!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, klmama said:

My toaster is a Black and Decker that I got super  cheap on Black Friday about ten years ago.  It's nothing fancy, but there's a bagel button and another for frozen items, like waffles.  I'm sure Amazon or Wal-Mart has a similar model for around $20. 

We may have the same toaster. We are quite happy with it. We got ours on Amazon but DD found hers (in red!!!!!) at Walmart. Same toaster, same price.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-2-Slice-Stainless-TR1278B/dp/B008YS1ZAO/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=black+%26+Decker+toaster&qid=1589581980&sr=8-4

OP, I hear you. We lost our dear Krups one slot toaster two years ago after 20+ years of faithful service. It was traumatic as we absolutely loved that thing. However, the one I linked above has been a really good replacement. It does have a bagel button (our Krups didn't have one). OMG I will never be without a bagel button again. Talk about life-changing!!

ETA --- One thing I like about this toaster is that it doesn't feel as cheap as the others I've poked at in the stores over the years. It feels sturdier, sort of like the one I grew up with as a kid in the '70s, just not as heavy, if that makes sense.

Edited by Wildcat
  • Like 1

My dh was disappointed with a LOT of toasters (cheap and/or ugly), so he thoroughly researched the options.
He found a Dualit brand toaster on Ebay, & we all love it.
It's mechanical, with a timer.  Very durable.
He spent about $50 for a nice used one.

https://www.dualit.com/products/classic-toasters

Apparently one model has a "cage" for toasting sandwiches.

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

So, I had the Breville in my cart, but then I measured the space with a tape measure instead of my heart. It was just too big. The cuisinart will be here Sunday. I’m pretty sure I just spent $50 on something that’s destined to disappoint me, but hopefully I’ll get a few years of decent toast first. I over-toasted something today in the oven. I’ve been home for two months. The little things are more important now!

Report back in a week or so what you think of it! I really am interested in getting this toaster 🙂 

I will report back in a few days when I get my toaster for those of you looking for ANY non-Covid news. 😁

I'm a little disappointed in myself that that bagel button is a Must Have feature for me.  Here's a funny story:  I had to teach my daughter to use a toaster at 15.  🤣 I don't know how she avoided pop up toasters that long, but she was apparently living in a toaster oven bubble.   I remember her staring at a pop up in a rental and asking me how it work.  Dh and I fell out laughing and she did NOT appreciate it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I have no toaster advice.  I couldn't tell you what kind of toaster I own.

But I want to hear more about this "English Muffin Bread".  What is it?  Is this something I need to get my baking elves to make me?

The English muffin bread I’ve had tasted similar to English muffins but was in loaf form. There are recipes on the internet and in Beard on Bread, the James Beard bread cookbook.It’s pretty easy to make, less time-consuming than English muffins. If your baking elves are bored it might be worth trying.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, CuriousMomof3 said:

I have no toaster advice.  I couldn't tell you what kind of toaster I own.

But I want to hear more about this "English Muffin Bread".  What is it?  Is this something I need to get my baking elves to make me?

It is so so so easy.  It's like a yeast bread-quick bread hybrid.  You HAVE to toast it to eat it.  I've never tried it untoasted, but that just seems sad and wrong to me.  Here is the recipe I use.  I generally cut it in half and do one loaf.  I skip the cornmeal and just line the pan with parchment because it just seems more foolproof to me.

https://www.lottieanddoof.com/2014/02/english-muffin-bread/

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 12:14 PM, emba56 said:

The English muffin bread I’ve had tasted similar to English muffins but was in loaf form. There are recipes on the internet and in Beard on Bread, the James Beard bread cookbook.It’s pretty easy to make, less time-consuming than English muffins. If your baking elves are bored it might be worth trying.

We HAVE that book. I never knew there was an english muffin bread recipe in it. Off to investigate . . . 

For those of you riveted by my toaster oven saga, it arrived today and takes up a little more space than I thought it would.  (I swear I measured.)  It does fit the spaced and I'm just running it randomly to get rid of that new toaster smell.  

This quickly became indispensable. We needed this shape all along for my giant round sourdough loaves. As you can see, it barely fits the space. DH sets it too dark for me, so I have to remember to check before toasting. The slots are even wide enough to toast hamburger buns. 

23050BAF-92AC-4F36-84BA-8829C34C4630.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s awesome!  Do they have a four slot model?

It holds four normal slices, but I don’t recall seeing this with 4 slots. That would be huge!  I’m guessing for your crew you could use a restaurant version!

• Haha 1