Menu

SAT test Summer Prep Class

2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

Prepscholar has been helpful for my son.  Online, self paced, nice nagging to keep you going, improved his score. We used it the whole school year, finishing up with it currently.  

$397.

https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/pricing

Could you share time used per day on average, over how many months, and what sort of improvement? I wasn’t planning in any prep yet  but with the summer being wasted.... feel free to PM if more comfortable 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Could you share time used per day on average, over how many months, and what sort of improvement? I wasn’t planning in any prep yet  but with the summer being wasted.... feel free to PM if more comfortable 

He improved his score 150 points on his practice tests with 69 study hours on the SAT online program, we did a bit every school day, started in October, finishing up this month.  We aimed for 1/2 hour per day spent on the program, some weeks he met that, some weeks a bit more, some weeks a bit less.  We probably spent 15 to 20 hours offline working on things that came up as needing more review than the program provided as well--it is meant for someone who has done more math than he had, so we had to go more in depth offline into Algebra 2 and Trig topics he was interested to learn but hadn't covered yet.  We haven't taken a practice test for a month or so, he could probably score about 20 points higher on math right now based on our current review of missed math problems on the first 3 practice tests.  

It was a good way to review algebra while taking Geometry, provided more motivation than just random review.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OP PrepScholar has 2 recommendations so far. I suggest you spend a lot of time on their web site looking at their different options.

Also, I suggest for the SAT that your student register on https://www.khanacademy.org/ and    link that account to their CollegeBoard.org account. Khan Academy has an official tie in with the CollegeBoard and is Free. My DD used that for the SAT.

Also, I suggest that you take a look at https://www.kaptest.com/sat   My DD did not use that for the SAT, but she had access to a course for the ACT that allowed her to view many videos and had occasional live sessions, where the students could ask questions of the Instructors. She found that very helpful. It was very inexpensive, $100 USD for 3 or 6 months. They have many different options.

I would look first at PrepScholar, based on comments upthread and then explore Khan Academy (free) and Kaplan.

• Like 1

Lanny- thank you for all your suggestions.  They are suggestions for students who be motivated to study the SAT themselves.  My ds needs accountability.  That's why I am looking for a class.  The only ones I found was Well-Traind Mind and HighSchoolMathLive class.  He's had math teachers that motivate him and encourage him something I could never do for math.  I have to outsource his SAT MATH just to keep his score up.  He was supposed to take the June SAT but now that has to be August.  Summertime is when he forgets math or it just goes way back in his mind.  He is closed to getting a perfect score on PSAT in English part of the test so I do not need for him to spend so much time on English.