Menu

Favorite lawn/tailgate/outside games?

alisoncooks

We have a couple of camping trips scheduled this summer. If they do end up happening, I imagine some of the common amenities will be closed (playgrounds, pools, etc). 

So I'm looking for some outside games, along the lines of cornhole (we have).  We also will have bikes with us, but I'm thinking about getting a few more small space games. Bonus points if they're fun with multi-ages or the athletically-challenged. 😂 

So it was just me and ds, not exactly a big group of playmates, but I got ds a remote control monster truck, something kind of rugged looking that could go over branches and through puddles. That was fun.

You could download nature guides from your state DNR and look for things. Take spotting binoculars, walk the trails. The place we camped last year had a surprising amount of *history* stuff, so you could visit that stuff. In our state we have sort of outdoor remains of history junk, like for mining, the canals, smelting, all sorts of surprising things. 

I assume the state parks here will open and that the lakes will be open for swimming. Outdoor transmission rates are very low, so you may be good to go.

Have you thought about a portable net for badmitton? Frisbee? We have a really big one my ds loves. It's fabric and maybe 2 ½' wide, very easy to catch. I wouldn't necessarily do kites unless you know you'll have open space. 

You could cook and eat more. That kills plenty of time. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Some state parks have rentals for pontoons, paddle boats, canoes, kayaks, etc. That's another fun thing to do. 

Do you like to fish? 

You could all learn instruments to bring with you. Banjo, harmonica, ukelele... :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan

Add us to the Spike Ball and Bocce Ball fan club!

Spike Ball has been a big hit from little cousins to brother-in-laws to a big group of teen boys at the beach.  We've had large groups playing as well as just 2 people. 

The moms at the beach trip in the fall also played a fun bowling/knock out game - I'm not totally sure what it was, but I think it was Kubb.  Fun! 

I hope we can camp this summer... and go to the beach... 

I got the kids KanJam for Easter.  It is a frisbee game.  They have played several times a week in the backyard since its arrival.   The “kans” arrive flat and have to be made into rounds, so they can also travel flat or rolled up.

I ordered from Amazon and while it can be a bit pricey the trick is to look at all the different options.  Some of them have flags on them, some of them have different college or professional sport teams, or other options.  Some of these less popular options are as low as $20.  No matter what you order the “kan” is solid black or white and the options are stickers you add on.  So if the cheapest option is a college team you have never heard of, get that one and leave the sticker off 🙂. Some of the stickers are peeling off of ours already.   I would also advise getting an inexpensive pack of frisbees.

White ones with frisbees in the wedding colors if you can find them would be cute.

Or giant beer pong.  For the wedding you could use white or wedding colored buckets & balls.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
  • Like 1