Menu

Summer School Classes for Credit

My high school students would like some summer school classes since it seems the summer is going to be slow. I'm not especially looking for core classes because I'm not a fan of cramming them, but I'm open to considering it for something fabulous. Any ideas? 

We can't use anything for DS with primary instruction that is recorded video. He is hearing impaired and needs either a live class or something with texts. We tried Derek Owens but DS can't hear well enough and there's no subtitles. He's had problems in other classes with videos too so I'd rather avoid them all.

PA Homeschoolers is offering summer classes for the first time for the exact reason you’ve mentioned. I’m not sure of the format as they are all offered by different teachers. There are some very interesting topics and none would qualify as a core class, if I remember correctly. My DD is taking the two Art courses offered by Ms. Kane. 

• Like 3

What about something hands-on that you create and do yourselves, using books and websites with articles as your informational resources? A few ideas to kick you off:

Fine Arts:
   Drawing
   Art Appreciation
   Filmmaking
   Film Appreciation
   Photography
   Digital Arts (Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya...)
   Printmaking,
   Jewelry Making
   etc.

Electives -- enjoying do several 0.25 to 0.5 credits for variety
   Cooking or Baking
   Consumer Science
   Personal Finance
   Computer Coding
   Electronics (learn to solder and design basic circuit boards)

Creative Writing
   Journalism
   Poetry writing focus
   Write a novel

Literature
   focus on an author or genre or key theme of interest
   study of short stories or poetry or plays
   read/discuss meaty YA novels
   Shakespeare plays
   follow a trilogy or book series

Science: pick an interesting, non-typical area just for fun and interest
   Astronomy
   Horticulture
   Meteorology (weather)
   etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is he specifically wanting a live class for interaction and teacher guidance? Or would he be open to home-grown stuff like Lori is suggesting? 

Are all of his classes outsourced? If there are any you do completely at home, he could certainly do some of that work and be ahead when the year starts. That would give him wiggle room for doing other things when the world opens up again, or for adding a course he hadn't planned on.

Online G3 and Athena's, but you'd want to check with the instructor. Both tend to use slides with teacher narration over them and a chat window, so the instructor would need to make sure more is available via text since your DS would lose the teacher part of the discussion. It would work for some classes, not so much for others. 

Edited by dmmetler

18 hours ago, katilac said:

Is he specifically wanting a live class for interaction and teacher guidance? Or would he be open to home-grown stuff like Lori is suggesting? 

Are all of his classes outsourced? If there are any you do completely at home, he could certainly do some of that work and be ahead when the year starts. That would give him wiggle room for doing other things when the world opens up again, or for adding a course he hadn't planned on.

We want something that is not self paced for teenage boy reasons. He really likes outside feedback, and since there's little interaction outside of the house right now, a live interactive class would be my preference. He'd like a philosophy class but I haven't found anything. Maybe Lukeion in the fall would work, but he'd prefer something that's more than classical philosophy. He's ok with oral instruction as long as it's live so he can ask the teacher to repeat or clarify what is said. Do the Great Courses have accurate subtitles? 

I'm still working on our schedule for next year because I'm going to have to mix things up because of covid stuff. We might do homemade literature and writing.

Modern State's CLEP and AP classes have an active transcript with their videos. Not specifically for credit, but there is an opportunity to pursue credit. ETA- It wouldn't help with the teenage boy stuff though. BTDT!

Edited by MamaSprout

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

Online G3 and Athena's, but you'd want to check with the instructor. Both tend to use slides with teacher narration over them and a chat window, so the instructor would need to make sure more is available via text since your DS would lose the teacher part of the discussion. It would work for some classes, not so much for others. 

I looked at their classes but they seem to be aimed at the younger crowd. What do you think? I have 16-18yr olds who have little patience for fluff.

8 minutes ago, Paige said:

I looked at their classes but they seem to be aimed at the younger crowd. What do you think? I have 16-18yr olds who have little patience for fluff.

. The teen focus ones at G3 and the ones with age limits due to content will be focused on older kids, while ones without such limits will be "younger". I'd also suggest contacting the instructor and asking how the age range for that specific section is shaping up.