Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW19: Happy Mother's Day

Robin M

Yeah, I can post now!  Have been unable to log in since Thursday. Happy Dance and thank you WTM for fixing the problem! 

Happy Sunday, dear hearts.  This week is dedicated to all mom's everywhere including our angel moms. She goes by many names including ma, mama, mum, mother, mumsy, mamman, mutter, mathair, mor, madra, majka, maji, mater, mommy, and my favorite, she who rules the roost. Yes, I made that last one up but it's true isn't it! My mother ruled the roost with love and schedules when I was growing up, keeping my four siblings and I in line. Which is probably why we are all so organized to this day with our day planners and white boards and charts. *grin* 

Your mission this week is to read a book about moms or with mom characters or with mother in the title. Or spell out mother or ma or use one of the many variations, reading one book per letter in the title. 

19 Badass Literary Moms Who Need To Be Celebrated

Our favourite mothers in literature

11 of the Best Moms in Children’s Literature

Mothers in literature: the best books about the closest bond

Psst, Moms! 6 Enticing Books for When You Need a Break

A Mother's Love: 30 Books Celebrating Mighty Moms & Daughters

Nine more great books about motherhood to add to your TBR pile

Who is your favorite literary mom? Two of my favorite moms are Molly Weasley from Harry Potter and Charlotte Mira in J.D. Robb's In Death series who later in the series becomes like a surrogate mom to Eve. So very sweet yet tough. 

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and
sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity;
when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us,
still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts
and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and
cause peace to return to our hearts.” ― Washington Irving

Happy Mother's Day, my lovelies.

Link to week 18

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

• Like 8

I'm dipping into several books right now including Steve Berry's Venetial Betrayal, Samantha Shannon's Priory of the Orange Tree, and Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker.  I'm listening to Seanan McGuire's Rosemary and Rue in the Car.  When Christ and Her Saints Slept is waiting in the wings. 

We watched Star Trek Into Darkness last night which was really good. James said you guys saw this when it came out in dvd.   Neither one of us remembered any of the movie so don't think we ever did. It got lost among the rest of our dvds.  Glad James found it. 

• Like 5

Happy Mother's Day, Robin, and Happy Mother's Day to all! Yes, it is wonderful to be back on!

I read James Herriot's Favorite Dog Stories - 5 Stars - I needed a good cozy read during this pandemic, and what could be better than James Herriot? If you’ve read his other books, you’ll notice that these stories are not new. They’re a collection of his ten favorite dog stories from his other books. It was enjoyable to read them again. The watercolor illustrations are delightful. This is a lovely little book. I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for all things Herriot.

My favorite quote, about dealing with the death of a dog:

“I have always advised people to get a replacement as soon as possible after their dog has died: a new and endearing pup helps enormously to fill the gaping void one always experiences after a much-loved dog has gone.”

9781250058140.jpg

• Like 5

I too am grateful to be back!

❤️🧡💛💚💙 Happy Mother's Day! ❤️🧡💛💚💙

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

A Prince of Sinners by E. Phillips Oppenheim

"The sins of the father are visited on the son twofold in this classic mystery from one of the early twentieth century’s most popular authors

Kingston Brooks has just made his debut on the speaker’s platform at the local party headquarters when a stranger brings word that the young lawyer’s father has died on the far side of the world, where he was spreading the gospel as a missionary. Brooks has heard nothing from the old man since he disappeared decades earlier, and even this sad news is a balm. As he digs deeper into the stranger’s story, however, Brooks discovers that his father was no saint, and that his friends are not to be trusted.

The truth is that all those years ago Brooks’s father fled to Canada to impersonate a French nobleman. There he committed a series of crimes too terrible for his son to contemplate—except that they must all be made right if Brooks hopes to clear his name."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

Jo Walton’s Reading List: April 2020

https://www.tor.com/2020/05/07/jo-waltons-reading-list-april-2020/

The ‘Credibility Bookcase’ Is the Quarantine’s Hottest Accessory

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/arts/quarantine-bookcase-coronavirus.html

THE CORNERSTONES OF COUNTRY NOIR

https://crimereads.com/the-cornerstones-of-country-noir/

OUR PERSONALIZED QUARANTINE CRIME FICTION RECOMMENDATIONS: PART 1

https://crimereads.com/our-personalized-quarantine-crime-fiction-recommendations-part-1/

OUR PERSONALIZED QUARANTINE CRIME FICTION RECOMMENDATIONS: PART 2

https://crimereads.com/our-personalized-quarantine-book-recs-part-2/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy Mother’s Day!

Thank you WTM!  Glad to be able to log in!

I am currently in the middle of a big push to finish my Julia Spencer Fleming reread.  The latest Hid from our Eyes is now in my virtual stack thanks to Overdrive and I am looking forward to reading it.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45046695-hid-from-our-eyes  Planning to give listening to the audiobooks another week before I break down and read it!  Kelley Harrison is temporarily set aside.

I am currently reading The House in the Cerulean Sea which I believe @Kareni read recently. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45047384-the-house-in-the-cerulean-sea?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=GWy67MxB1u&rank=2  I am more than halfway through and am enjoying it.  It seems to be a mash up of several other recent books with the house being an orphanage for the most extraordinary magical children the world of the book has.  The main character is an orphanage examiner who must decide if the home is fit for purpose.  I am particularly enjoying the unique characters in this book......one of the children is green and perhaps extraterrestrial, no one knows, with the desire to grow up to be a bellhop.  He is sweet and cute.

• Like 7

Whew! Finally not locked out!

Network Effect (Wells) -- 2 thumbs way up
Murderbot #5 just came out on May 5 -- loved it! It is about 2-3x as long as each of the first 4 books, but just as good, without feeling drawn out. Laugh-out-loud funny moments and thoughts of our main character, plus the introduction of a strong, likable, teen female character, as well as the return of a well-loved character from a previous book. The story extends out of events from the first 4 books, and our main character continues to develop depth and interest. As with the other 4 books, a fair amount of 4-letter words -- but done absolutely either because it's completely within character, or because it is funny. So cursing, but it works. As always, no sex, although very broad/passing reference to other characters and their lifestyle choices which is not belabored. May I just say how MUCH I love this series, and it is thanks to whoever recommended it on these threads last year that I found them. Thank you! 😄 

That arrived the day of holding my last online class for the semester, so it was a delicious treat for persevering to the end of classes... (now, to finish all the grading of papers...)

ETA:
We've been watching the free streaming of The National Theater's past live productions and have been getting some Shakespeare that way -- Twelfth Night a few weeks ago; Anthony & Cleopatra this past week (with Ralph Fiennes as Anthony); and Coriolanus coming in early June, starring -- Tom Hiddleston!

Last week they streamed 2 versions of Frankenstein, with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the creator Frankenstein in one version, and then playing the creature in the other version.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Yay! Glad to be back in.

I'm still reading The Two Towers (about to begin the second book with Frodo and Sam), and The German Midwife which is our book club book for this month. I have never seen The Lord of the Rings movies. Dh and I watched The Fellowship of the Ring Friday night. I know one main reason we never saw them was due to their length. We were wrestling with the original version or extended version which a coworker recommended. We went with the original version and after 3 hours think we made the right choice! Though Orlando Bloom is lovely as Legolas, I'm still more of a book person.

• Like 9

Did I forget to mention that Benedict Cumberbatch played Kahn in Star Trek Into Darkness.  Yummy and awesome Villain! 

The guys bought me some interesting kindle books today which included space opera Polaris Rising by Jessie Mahalik, Miranda James Cozy Cat mystery Murder Past Due and a japanese psychological thriller written by Mariko Koike, The Graveyard Apartment.  Interesting combo.   I think I may have @Kareni to thank as I wishlisted them from some of the links you've shared in the past few days.  

Yesterday I added a couple gifts for myself - Heather Webber's combo of southern and magical realism - Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe as well as the second book in Keri Arthur's Kingdoms of Earth and Air series - Cursed.  Also a hardbound copy of What Editors Do: The Art, Craft, and Business of Book Editing (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing) which will arrive in a week or two.

• Like 7

@NeginTotally agree James Herriott fits the bill for a good cozy read! 

@KareniLove the links.  Amused by the NYT's credibility bookshelf.  So many interesting books from Crimereads and will be dipping in and out of it quite a bit. 

@mumto2  Couldn't resist the House in the Cerulean Sea after reading the first pages on Amazon. Added it to my virtual stack.

@Lori D.  Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch. Now that I need to see. 

@Ali in OR   I remember the first time I watched The Fellowship of the Rings with hubby. He was so mad when it ended in a cliffhanger and the next movie wasn't available yet.  Yes, it's very long but oh so good.  Love all the actors/actresses in the film. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Did I forget to mention that Benedict Cumberbatch played Kahn in Star Trek Into Darkness.  Yummy and awesome Villain! 

The guys bought me some interesting kindle books today which included space opera Polaris Rising by Jessie Mahalik, Miranda James Cozy Cat mystery Murder Past Due and a japanese psychological thriller written by Mariko Koike, The Graveyard Apartment.  Interesting combo.   I think I may have @Kareni to thank as I wishlisted them from some of the links you've shared in the past few days.  

Yesterday I added a couple gifts for myself - Heather Webber's combo of southern and magical realism - Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe as well as the second book in Keri Arthur's Kingdoms of Earth and Air series - Cursed.  Also a hardbound copy of What Editors Do: The Art, Craft, and Business of Book Editing (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing) which will arrive in a week or two.

John and James appear to have done a very good job!  I love the Cat in the Stacks mysteries and know you will love the giant kitty named Diesel.  I am looking forward to the third book in Jessie Mahalik series so am pretty confident you will enjoy Polaris Rising too!  I am still reading The House in the Cerulean Sea......it’s still good!

@Lori D.  You are officially the first person I know who read Network Effect.  My Dd and I have been really looking forward to it so glad it received a “two thumbs way up” rating!😉 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

...  You are officially the first person I know who read Network Effect.  My Dd and I have been really looking forward to it so glad it received a “two thumbs way up” rating!😉 

If you enjoyed the first 4, #5 will not disappoint. 😉 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Whew! Finally not locked out!

Network Effect (Wells) -- 2 thumbs way up
Murderbot #5 just came out on May 5 -- loved it! It is about 2-3x as long as each of the first 4 books, but just as good, without feeling drawn out. Laugh-out-loud funny moments and thoughts of our main character, plus the introduction of a strong, likable, teen female character, as well as the return of a well-loved character from a previous book. The story extends out of events from the first 4 books, and our main character continues to develop depth and interest. As with the other 4 books, a fair amount of 4-letter words -- but done absolutely either because it's completely within character, or because it is funny. So cursing, but it works. As always, no sex, although very broad/passing reference to other characters and their lifestyle choices which is not belabored. May I just say how MUCH I love this series, and it is thanks to whoever recommended it on these threads last year that I found them. Thank you! 😄 

That arrived the day of holding my last online class for the semester, so it was a delicious treat for persevering to the end of classes... (now, to finish all the grading of papers...)

ETA:
We've been watching the free streaming of The National Theater's past live productions and have been getting some Shakespeare that way -- Twelfth Night a few weeks ago; Anthony & Cleopatra this past week (with Ralph Fiennes as Anthony); and Coriolanus coming in early June, starring -- Tom Hiddleston!

Last week they streamed 2 versions of Frankenstein, with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the creator Frankenstein in one version, and then playing the creature in the other version.

Glad to get your review! Just today I noticed it was available, thanks to a positive review on NPR, so I sent a copy to my Dad. I'm hoping to get a chance to read that one when he finishes.

• Like 6

My reading list from last week:

Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611-2011 by Gordon Campbell -- As a Christian and a a literature-loving former English teacher, I found this book to be informative and easy-to-read -- scholarly without being inaccessible.  It told the story of how the King James Version was translated and updated through the last four hundred years.  I found it to be fascinating, although I'm not sure that many would find it interesting at all.

The Fashion Designer by Nancy Moser -- This was a Christian romance that I bought a few months ago to give to my dd15 who is hoping to become a costume designer.  I wanted something light to read this week, and this was an ok choice.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great literature either.  :)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse -- This is the book that looks like it doesn't belong. 😉  However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I savored this book.  I could have probably read it in half the time that I did, but after several chapters throughout the book I stopped reading just so I could absorb what I had read.  I'm a Baptist and have no interest in changing religions, but I enjoyed the journey with Siddhartha as he searched for life's meaning.

• Like 9

I just finished Becoming by Michelle Obama   I would give it 5 stars.  I didn't always agree with her but her story and story telling is amazing.   I even wrote a blog post that is part book review, part rant, part ramblings on this book.  My daughter listened to much of the audio book with me and it led to some great discussions.

• Like 8

This afternoon I finished   Accelerating Universe (The Sector Fleet, Book 1) by Nicola Claire; it was a pleasant read that, in one sense, reminded me of Michele Diener's Dark Horse. (Adult content)

""This is how we’d traverse the stars; limping and crippled, the last survivors of a dying solar system."

Fleeing from a past that almost killed her and a present that promises she’ll only burn, pay-for-passage passenger Ana Kereama boards the Sector Two lead vessel Pavo with only survival in mind.

What she finds is a reason to live, and it has nothing to do with New Earth.

Teaming up with the sexy and commanding Captain John Jameson to protect those on board their ship, Ana fights not only for her vessel’s survival but the intelligent being emerging within its gel coated walls.

Love and trust are born amongst the stars and plasma fire, but is it possible for a captain to be involved with a second lieutenant?

And can any of them hope to survive the treacherous voyage unscathed?'

Over the weekend, I reread SK Dunstall's   Alliance  for the nth time.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Hey! Back in! Hurrah. Thank you WTM technopeople.

This week I finished my 10x10 Category Les Enfants de Baudelaire: Symbolists, Decadents, & Surrealists with My Fantoms, a collection of Théophile Gautier's short stories. They're all late-Romantic -- almost pre-Decadent -- ghost stories, except technically the last one, which is a strange, fictionalized remembrance of his friend Gérard de Nerval, a sort of radical Romantic poet and proto-Symbolist who committed suicide at a young age. This was a good way to end the category, which I started with a collection of Nerval's poetry.

Les Enfants de Baudelaire:
1. Gerard de Nerval, Poems
2. Theophile Gautier, Charles Baudelaire
3. Arthur Symons, The Art of Aubrey Beardsley
4. Arthur Symons, The Symbolist Movement in Literature
5. Oscar Wilde, Salome
6. Guillaume Apollinaire, Selected Writings
7. Edgar A. Poe, The Unknown Poe
8. Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror
9. Decadent Poetry from Wilde to Naidu
10. Theophile Gautier, My Fantoms

New random book: Cicero, Murder Trials. I've never read any Cicero before, and his speeches are nothing at all like one imagines. You'd think they would be masterpieces of logical exhortation and careful laying out of the evidence. But he was quite the table-pounder. I've finished his speech Pro Roscio Amerio, which is the source of the phrase, "Cui bono?": "Whom does it profit?" -- or, "Follow the money." I don't know if I can talk anyone into reading Cicero, but I can tell you he's much more interesting than his reputation.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Happy Mother’s Day!

Thank you WTM!  Glad to be able to log in!

I am currently in the middle of a big push to finish my Julia Spencer Fleming reread.  The latest Hid from our Eyes is now in my virtual stack thanks to Overdrive and I am looking forward to reading it.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45046695-hid-from-our-eyes  Planning to give listening to the audiobooks another week before I break down and read it!  Kelley Harrison is temporarily set aside.

I loved the Julia Spencer Fleming series. I just clicked on the link and realized this is a brand new one - to me anyway. Will put it on my list.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

At the risk of going beyond the purview of the BaW thread, I wouldn't mind adding Movie of the Week while we're all watching more video than usual. I'm bookmarking the Shakespeare Lori D. links to.

This last week we watched several excellent and family-friendly movies:
Playland, directed by and starring Jacques Tati -- a gently funny critique of "modern" Paris
- Invention for Destruction, a Czech half-live action, half-animated film based on pretty much all of Verne's novels
- Red River, my favorite John Wayne movie

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

At the risk of going beyond the purview of the BaW thread, I wouldn't mind adding Movie of the Week while we're all watching more video than usual.... This last week we watched several excellent and family-friendly movies:
Playland, directed by and starring Jacques Tati -- a gently funny critique of "modern" Paris
- Invention for Destruction, a Czech half-live action, half-animated film based on pretty much all of Verne's novels

Fun! -- Movie of the week idea is a great addition while we're all shut in. We just re-watched Thor: Ragnarok; Infinity War; and End Game, because 2 people (not me) in the family just had birthdays and received those DVDs as gifts. 😉 

45 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

... I'm bookmarking the Shakespeare Lori D. links to.

Just so you know: The National Theatre plays are only up for free streaming for one week at a time. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Anthony & Cleopatra is available through May 14 only. Warning -- A&C is LONG at over 3 hours.

DS watched with a full text pulled up on his I-pad, so he could glance at that if there was an actor who was not delivering lines in such a way as to make it perfectly clear, so that's an idea.... 😄

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

We always watch lots of movies, but now more than ever before. I'm going to look these movies up. We've been loving John Wayne movies, especially "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". 

• Like 6

@SusanC - this is in response to your comment in last week's thread.  I didn't get logged in to comment and then was locked out along with most everyone else. 🙂
On 5/7/2020 at 4:13 PM, Dicentra said:

They didn't need to have their teeth floated

"Could you satisfy my curiosity on what this means? My grandma used to occasionally day her teeth were floating when she really need to use the restroom, but from content I don't think this is the same thing?

The boxed set looks so cool. Are the books inside hardbound? What do you envision the future to be for that set?"

Domestic horses need to have their teeth filed down every now and again.  Because of uneven wear on the back molars, sharp hooks or points can develop that can cut the inside of the horse's mouth and make them difficult and cranky and obstinate (I would be, too, if my teeth were cutting up the inside of my mouth!).  The file used in the procedure is called a float so... floating a horse's teeth. 🙂  https://www.thesprucepets.com/essential-dental-care-for-horses-1886863

The beat up "Chronicles of Narnia" box set that is my oldest purchased book(s) is, sadly, not hardbound.  It's fairly cheaply bound paperbacks from Puffin.  I'm not sure what I intend for it but just looking at it makes me happy. 🙂  If it really starts to fall apart maybe I'll turn the box artwork and covers of the books into some kind of display in a frame for my wall. 🙂

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I just finished Becoming by Michelle Obama   I would give it 5 stars.  I didn't always agree with her but her story and story telling is amazing.   I even wrote a blog post that is part book review, part rant, part ramblings on this book.  My daughter listened to much of the audio book with me and it led to some great discussions.

I also just finished becoming. Amazing story telling.  Loved the discriptions of the white house and what traveling as a first family was like.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, Robin M said:

The Graveyard Apartment! 🙂  Interested to hear what you think, @Robin M.  If you end up not liking it, that's completely ok.  I don't want to be one of those folks who suggest a book and then everyone feels all uncomfortable to tell that person that they really didn't care for the book.  Beware the creepy butterfly!

On 5/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, Robin M said:

Who is your favorite literary mom? Two of my favorite moms are Molly Weasley from Harry Potter and Charlotte Mira in J.D. Robb's In Death series who later in the series becomes like a surrogate mom to Eve. So very sweet yet tough. 

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and
sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity;
when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us,
still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts
and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and
cause peace to return to our hearts.” ― Washington Irving

Happy Mother's Day, my lovelies.

Happy belated Mother's Day to you, too, Robin and to everyone else!  I've always liked the last verse of this poem.

The Reading Mother
by
Strickland Gillilan

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings--
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.

As to my favourite literary mother...  The final scene in The Grapes of Wrath with Rose of Sharon and the starving man has stuck with me ever since I first read it.  She is a mother in the most tragic sense and I suppose I don't know if I can say she's my favourite literary mother because I don't know what she would have been like as a mother.  Her act at the end, though, seems to me to sum up the selflessness of motherhood.

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 1:38 AM, Violet Crown said:

Last night we watched "Gaslight" directed by Thorold Dickinson. Fabulous. There are two versions out there. We may see the other version soon also. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Negin said:

Last night we watched "Gaslight" directed by Thorold Dickinson. Fabulous. There are two versions out there. We may see the other version soon also. 

Interesting! I've seen the Charles Boyer/ Ingrid Bergman version a few times, but didn't even know there was a prior version.

• Like 5

I apologize for skimming the thread and not reading it. I usually read but don't get a chance to post.

We close on our new house at 2pm today!!!! We have the final walk through at 1, but I was there yesterday so I know it's all good and there won't be any issues. We won't be sleeping there until Thursday night because that's the day our new refrigerator is coming (the other appliances are there). I refuse to wake up in a house where I don't have half and half for my coffee lol.

I wanted to post a quick update because I don't know when I'll get a chance to come back.

@Robin M last week's thread inspired me to get back to reading Sharon Kay Penman. I loved The Sunne in Splendor but was disappointed in the first Plantagenet book, When Christ and His Saints Slept. I wanted to try the next one but wasn't in a hurry because of that first one. I'm glad I gave it a chance because I'm really enjoying Time and Chance. Eventually I'll get to the Welsh trilogy but want to finish this series first. I've already read all of the Justin de Quincy mysteries.

I listened to another Agatha Raisin - Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House, and am now trying to finish the audio edition of The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Both were library loans so they just disappear from my phone once the loan ends.

Other current reads: 

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn - This was supposed to be my long term read for the year but when the pandemic hit I just didn't have the brain power for such a book. I've been able to get back to it in the past week.

Much Ado About Nothing - a reread

Scandal Above Stairs,  A Kat Holloway mystery. I don't remember if I posted that I read the last one, Death Below Stairs. A few years ago I read the novella that introduced Kat and some of the other characters.

Leviathan Wakes - I'm still reading this. Bill (dh) finished it and is on to the second one. Who was I talking with a few weeks ago about the first book? Apparently there's a novella before this one which I think is what you were referring to while I was thinking this is the first book. That's probably why we had some confusion about a few of the characters.

I finished American Dirt for my irl book club and we met on Zoom last night. I thought it was an amazing book even considering the controversy surrounding it. The criticisms are not without merit but I do think she reaches an audience that needs to be reached (myself included). 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

We close on our new house at 2pm today!!!!

Yay! I hope that all will go smoothly and that you'll soon be ensconced in your new home enjoying a nice cup of coffee and (well-chilled) half and half while reading a good book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

R. Holmes & Co. by John Kendrick Bangs

About the Author

John Kendrick Bangs (May 27, 1862 – January 21, 1922) was an American author, editor and satirist.

"Raffles Holmes possesses all of the detection skills of his father, Sherlock—with none of the responsibility

Raffles Holmes comes from impressive stock, with both larceny and detection in his blood in equal measure. He’s the son of the legendary detective Sherlock Holmes, and the grandson of gentleman criminal A. J. Raffles. No wonder he’s so conflicted between the desire to solve crimes and the urge to make sure the rich get their deserved comeuppance. Yet there is one ambition that is consistent in both sides of Holmes: making money. What’s the easiest way for him to make that cash? Selling the stories of his exploits, of course. And what tales they are! Holmes is as smooth an operator as his grandfather, and he finds himself the culprit of cases nearly as often as he is the detective. Whether burglarizing for the greater good, fighting a desire to steal priceless jewelry, or playing the part of a bandit in order to save someone, Holmes is a rakish hero worthy of his name."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recently finished  Eliza's Miracle by S. J. Sanders which was a romance featuring characters in their fifties. While this was pleasant, I don't expect to reread this. (Adult content)

"Eliza is the new ambassador from Earth. It fulfills all her career ambitions, but her life is a lie. Her husband, who ruled her career with an iron fist, is not her Prince Charming in a storybook marriage that everyone assumes. He is cruel and manipulative. Living at the space station gives her some reprieve, but not entirely. When her daughter falls in love with a Tagith male, Eliza finds herself starting on a new leg of her life as a single woman, one that brings her into the company of her son-in-law’s gruff father. He rubs her the wrong way, but things change and are never quite what they seem.

Zerik lost his mate ten years ago and it has never stopped hurting. He doesn’t approve of humans or much of anything, yet when his son persuades him into a visit on the Intergalactic Space Station, he discovers that his life still has room for one more."

I also enjoyed re-reading SK Dunstall's  Confluence (A Linesman Novel Book 3)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Yes, more movie talk please.  Always interested in hearing about what everyone is watching. Love old movies as we watched Bogart's Key Largo the other night.   We have several Bogart/Bacall movies and enjoyed To Have and Have Not based off of Hemingway's book.

@Violet Crown  Invention for Destruction sounds really interesting

On 5/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Lori D. said:

Fun! -- Movie of the week idea is a great addition while we're all shut in. We just re-watched Thor: Ragnarok; Infinity War; and End Game, because 2 people (not me) in the family just had birthdays and received those DVDs as gifts.

We are on Iron Man 3 in the mcu chronology. I watched all of Agent Carter S1 and 2 on Disney plus which were really good.  Will be checking out Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pretty soon.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, Kareni said:

I'm not a big movie watcher, but my husband and I recently re-watched The Martian with pleasure. I'm a big fan of the book (which is, of course, better)

Yes, I agree, the book was better.   

@Negin  Enjoy John Wayne movies. James likes war movies so will have to show him Back to Bataan or High and Mighty. Gaslight sounds really good too. 

23 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Beware the creepy butterfly!

LOL!  Okay I will.  Thank you for the wonderful poem.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

On 5/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, Dicentra said:

I had a mother who read to me

Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I'm quoting myself as I just now realized what this is referring to - ugh.  Goes to show how dense and obtuse I am when it comes to poetry.  It definitely makes me think less of the whole poem.  Although I'm still glad I had a mother who read to me.

9 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

We close on our new house at 2pm today!!!! We have the final walk through at 1, but I was there yesterday so I know it's all good and there won't be any issues. We won't be sleeping there until Thursday night because that's the day our new refrigerator is coming (the other appliances are there). I refuse to wake up in a house where I don't have half and half for my coffee lol.

Congratulations on the new house, @Lady Florida.!!

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

While wandering about the webosphere:

7 Creepy Reads to Pair with Your Favorite Hitchcock Flick

Ooooo...  Thanks for the link, @Robin M!!  I don't know what it is about creepy books but I love 'em.

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

I just spent a peaceful hour and a half on the back deck reading Les Miserables.  The weather here has been lovely.

IMG_2501.JPG

Beautiful, @Junie!!  So green!  We're still regularly getting temps at night here WELL below zero.  Teeny, tiny buds on trees and our grass has greened-up but that's it.  Love seeing pics of everyone's yards/green space!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Beautiful, @Junie!!  So green!  We're still regularly getting temps at night here WELL below zero.  Teeny, tiny buds on trees and our grass has greened-up but that's it.  Love seeing pics of everyone's yards/green space!

I loved seeing everyone's yards a few weeks ago.  I'm just late to the party.  :)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Interesting! I've seen the Charles Boyer/ Ingrid Bergman version a few times, but didn't even know there was a prior version.

We saw the Ingrid Bergman version last night. We all preferred the other one. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Seasider too said:

The real winner was Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. Five supernovas to this one! I can’t believe it’s been out since 2012 and I just discovered it. It was engaging cover to cover, made me laugh out loud and cry real tears. It is a story told by the Imaginary playmate of an 8 year old boy  “on the spectrum.” The author did a masterful job of creating characters and making them so real I could easily imagine each one. An elementary teacher himself, Dicks pays homage to the profession’s best sort. I recommend it wholeheartedly. 

I listened to Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend last year and thought it was extremely well done.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

The real winner was Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. Five supernovas to this one! I can’t believe it’s been out since 2012 and I just discovered it. It was engaging cover to cover, made me laugh out loud and cry real tears. It is a story told by the Imaginary playmate of an 8 year old boy  “on the spectrum.” The author did a masterful job of creating characters and making them so real I could easily imagine each one. An elementary teacher himself, Dicks pays homage to the profession’s best sort. I recommend it wholeheartedly. 

I too read this with pleasure last year after seeing it mentioned in a thread I started.  Here's a link to the thread:

What one book have you so enjoyed that you'd like everyone to read, because you want them to share the pleasure?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I have a little time while dh and ds load the U-Haul with heavy stuff.

My book club read that one a few years ago and we all loved it. I thought the author did a great job with Max's voice.

• Like 6

@Lady Florida. Congratulations on the new house! In the midst of all the CoronaCrisis, too. Well done.

On a less exciting note, my new refrigerator is arriving tomorrow, to replace the 22-year-old Amana that now freezes half the food, spoils the other half, and drips water in an unending drizzle from the top onto the food (and floor) below. Trying to figure out the logistics of food transfer.

Yesterday I finished Cicero's Murder Trials, and am now devoting myself to Colette and her mother, in-between final grading. If you've never read Colette, her life and her writing are both exactly as you would guess from looking at her. No wonder she had a Perfect French Mother.

• Like 7