Menu

What's with the ads?

Heartwood

Have you ever had a package get lost in the mail?

I'm wondering if I should hold our much hope. It's been over two weeks, which doesn't seem like that long, but I had two other packages shipped later from the same company that arrived within a week. I opened an inquiry and then filed a claim with the USPS. My local post office has been really great communicating with me and helping me navigate the steps through the process. It's such a bummer. The package contains the bulk of my homeschool curricula for next year. I'm thankful I don't need it now, but hate the waiting (they said to give it 30 days before filing an insurance claim).

1 minute ago, Heartwood said:

waiting (they said to give it 30 days before filing an insurance claim).

Did they give you tracking information? When they deliver the package, UPS, USPS, everyone *scans* the package, which yields tracking coordinates. Even the USPS has this. So they can provide you with those coordinates and you enter them in a website (I forget, it has been a few years), and out will pop where it was delivered on a map. I had a package *misdelivered* by the USPS and the house that received it simply kept the package on a shelf. For real. So I wasn't sure if I was going to get accosted or what when I went there, but when I knocked they're like oh yeah we have your package! They had sat on it for a week at least. They could have easily returned it or even just driven it the 500 feet up the road. I kid you not. 

So I would at least try to get the coordinates if they're saying it was delivered. And frankly, now most services actually take a picture of where the package is delivered, so they should have both the scan coordinates *and* the picture of where it was left. If they're not providing it, something is fishy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Did they give you tracking information? When they deliver the package, UPS, USPS, everyone *scans* the package, which yields tracking coordinates. Even the USPS has this. So they can provide you with those coordinates and you enter them in a website (I forget, it has been a few years), and out will pop where it was delivered on a map. I had a package *misdelivered* by the USPS and the house that received it simply kept the package on a shelf. For real. So I wasn't sure if I was going to get accosted or what when I went there, but when I knocked they're like oh yeah we have your package! They had sat on it for a week at least. They could have easily returned it or even just driven it the 500 feet up the road. I kid you not. 

So I would at least try to get the coordinates if they're saying it was delivered. And frankly, now most services actually take a picture of where the package is delivered, so they should have both the scan coordinates *and* the picture of where it was left. If they're not providing it, something is fishy.

Yes, I have a tracking number. It hasn't been updated since April 22nd. The most recent announcement says it's en route to be delivered and is traveling to the next facility. My local post office thinks it never left the last place it was scanned in at.

It will also be delivered at the post office because I have a p.o. box.

Edited by Heartwood
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Heartwood said:

Yes, I have a tracking number. It hasn't been updated since April 22nd. The most recent announcement says it's en route to be delivered and is traveling to the next facility. My local post office thinks it never left the last place it was scanned in at.

I had a pair of pants from trail life that was scanned into a facility in South Carolina and said in route for months.  I believe it never left the building.  Trail Life ended up handling the claim since is was a replacement to a defective pair purchased at camp and I had no bill.  I will say that I had a box destined for someone else left in the dirt in front of my house.  I did mark on it where I found it before calling the post office to have it redelivered.  I repeatedly receive mail that is not mine.  I don’t believe they will find the package or admit it if they do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Heartwood said:

It will also be delivered at the post office because I have a p.o. box.

Oh for pete's sake. So it wasn't misdelivered. They just lost it in process? Oh dear, that's worse. I had that happen with a stack of books once, and it turned out the vendor had wrapped an entire stack of Dr. Doolittle books in PAPER. The post office machines destroyed the paper, so the books were lost, ruined. 

So if they had delivered it errantly, you could get delivery coordinates. But if they just list your package, well have you contacted the vendor? Who in the world uses USPS for shipping anyway??? If the vendor can eat it, they could send you a replacement box and then you could refuse delivery of this box (if it ever arrives) and mark it return to sender. I would call/write the vendor and see what they'd do for you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh for pete's sake. So it wasn't misdelivered. They just lost it in process? Oh dear, that's worse. I had that happen with a stack of books once, and it turned out the vendor had wrapped an entire stack of Dr. Doolittle books in PAPER. The post office machines destroyed the paper, so the books were lost, ruined. 

So if they had delivered it errantly, you could get delivery coordinates. But if they just list your package, well have you contacted the vendor? Who in the world uses USPS for shipping anyway??? If the vendor can eat it, they could send you a replacement box and then you could refuse delivery of this box (if it ever arrives) and mark it return to sender. I would call/write the vendor and see what they'd do for you.

The vendor has been great to work with and will ship a new package if it's not recovered. I was actually glad they used USPS so that it would go straight to the post office and not my house (in case I wasn't there when it was dropped off). The package weighs over 40 pounds, so I would like to think that it was appropriately packaged.

Yes. several times over the years. Anything from an overseas package that didn't arrive. To packages that say they were delivered which were not. We had a period of time that shipping companies would say a package was delivered, but it didn't show  up for a few days. It was the delivery service making it look like they met timed deliveries, that they didn't meet.

DD lives on a military base and I swear the USPS driver there must actually try to misdeliver mail. LOL I think that one in five packages from Amazon, say they are delivered to her locking community mail box and are either misdelivered, or never arrive. Often packages I sent from Amazon, say they were delivered, but they were not delivered to her. Amazon sends her a replacement, and then the package reappears in her box. I have given up on notifying Amazon.  They need to figure it out with the shippers. One of my favorites, was a package that had a picture of the delivery. It was the package with a tan colored stucco building background. That describes about 500 buildings in her neighborhood/surrounding area. Nothing in the picture identified her house (ie her door mat, plant etc) so why bother?  LOL

I once paid a lot of money to have a package of papers delivered by a certain date, and they didn't arrive till 2 days later. :0( It worked out fine (we got a refund of the fees) but it was frustrating. They were going from a post office, to a PO box, so there wasn't any reason for the delay other than human error. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have had things lost in the mail, but right now we don't get mail on a daily basis here in my part of Michigan, and many hubs are at decreased workforce or altogether closed.  It's been 10 days since I shipped a package to my daughter priority mail.  They told me when I sent it that it could take 2-3 weeks.  Things are very behind, so if it had to go through a major hub I'm not surprised.  Three of my packages in the last two weeks had tracking that never updated, they just eventually arrived. 

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

I'm waiting on a plant to be delivered. It was supposed to be delivered by May 6. The tracking number is useless; it only says it's on the way to the next facility and the last recorded date was May 5th. This is supposed to be a gift for a secret plant pal and needs to be completed by May 10th. I have other gifts I can give, but this plant was one she really wanted. I'm expecting to receive a dead plant. 😞

Interesting that others are having the same problem. I didn't know there was an issue. It would explain why my dd and I haven't received confirmations on items we've returned. They may not have been received yet.

😞 <-- I can't seem to be able to delete this emoji

Edited by wilrunner
  • Sad 1

Yes, some books. Media mail seems to be the most likely type of mail to get lost. I have no idea how, though! How do you misplace a box of books? 

• Sad 1

Multiple times.

The one that really sticks with me are ds’s National Latin Exam award. No help from UPS or NLE. He just gets to keep the memories!

Last year, I sent my sister some of our old pre-K-K stuff.  It was tracked to the dead mail warehouse, but never located.

There have been others, but those still upset me.

• Sad 2

Yes, I have one missing now.  A book I ordered for my daughter.   Our post office is horrible and not at all helpful or honest.   The seller won't refund my money for another 2 weeks.  It is extremely frustrating.   I groan every time something is shipped through the postal service and then hold my breath hoping it will actually arrive.  This time it looks like it won't.  It is extra frustrating because my daughter has been looking forward to reading this book.

• Sad 1

YES! I have been going through this for weeks and my lost package was just resolved yesterday. I ordered $80 worth of books from classical academic press. They sent it media mail and the tracking # had it arriving in my city on April 25th but then nothing. I called the post office, I went in person to 2 locations, and I filed an online request. USPS sent me an official response stating that the tracking number registering in my city was computer generated and that the shipper never actually delivered the package for shipment. So CAP printed postage but never took it to the post office. I was working with CAP and they were going to send me out a new package and our of nowhere it shows up on my doorstep yesterday! Tracking still shows it stuck in the city office. 🤔 I think media mail is running extra slow. So hold out hope, I hope yours turns out as mine did.

• Thanks 1

Very occasionally. A book showed tracking that just tailed off into nothing. The vendor sent a replacement and eventually the book showed up (they said keep both). I bought some books from another homeschooler and those never showed up. The best was an heirloom spoon my grandmother sent me. 6 months later it showed up with a sticker explaining that it was found in a box that has been thought to be empty when it was put into storage for the summer.

• Like 2

A small package of books purchased through homeschoolclassifieds.com went missing.  After a month, the seller refunded my money, but of course that meant she was out both books and money.  I requested the post office search for it; a couple months later, the very torn package was found at the post office dead letter location and was delivered, so I resent payment to the seller.  

Another time my package was marked as being in my city, but then it inexplicably traveled to a larger city, where it was sent out for delivery.  It took about a week for it to come back here.  

• Like 1

Yes, it has happened to me. There was an Amazon package that just disappeared. Fortunately it was Amazon and easy to get a refund. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. The delivery companies are under such a heavy load right now. 

• Thanks 1

Just a few times in over 30+ years.  Not enough to count on one hand.  (and two being international)   I'd guess it has to do with the pandemic.  When I've ordered things recently from various companies, they always send notices saying they're anywhere from one to three weeks behind because of the current situation.  And these are companies that always had fast deliveries in the past.

I'd give them some time still.

• Thanks 1