Menu

Teaching chess strategy

This past school year we added chess each Friday. Ds has loved learning how to play. We used the Usborne Starting Chess book. We took the year to really get how each piece moves and we just played. I learned along with ds. 

Now we are wanting to work on strategy. And continue having chess time on Fridays. 

I found this series of workbooks on Rainbow Resource. Has anyone used them? Are the DVDs needed as well? There seems to be several in the series. https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/025028/Chess-Tactics-1-Workbook.html?

Or anything you have found to be good for moving past basics? 

Chess was a short-lived interest in our house. However, everybody really liked No Stress Chess. I think it has three levels of scaffolding. It let my DS play with his 4 years younger sister (total win!) Your ds may be beyond this, though.

• Like 1

All of my kids went through a chess phase - some lasted years, some only months. I never used the program you linked. We owned Winter Promise's chess programs, although we never followed them exactly. Here's some of what we did.

We did "Chess Puzzle of the Day"; I just used random chess puzzle books - we had a slew that I picked up at book sales. I tried to do a variety of openings, checkmate in 1,2, X number of moves, and different piece movements (like using a Knight, boxing in opponent's with rooks, a Queen, etc). 

Chess Kid online has lots of puzzles and next step things. 

Learning notation was a fun diversion for some of them. 

Playing Bughouse chess (doubles), speed rounds, the pawn game, or All Queens chess can be fun and teach various strategies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Chess was a short-lived interest in our house. However, everybody really liked No Stress Chess. I think it has three levels of scaffolding. It let my DS play with his 4 years younger sister (total win!) Your ds may be beyond this, though.

I have looked at it, but I think we wouldn't get much use of it. 

DS is taking a class (now via Zoom, but started in person) and after the instruction, the teacher has the students go to chesskid.com and play against each other, trying to use what they just learned. Maybe there's something similar on Outschool?

• Like 1

I have a copy of Chess Workbook for Children by Todd Bardwick and I really like it. It has problem sets at the end of each lesson and there are 2 levels of difficulty for each problem. We are going to cycle through the book twice.

We hope to see Jr. develop more strategic game now that he can play through a game. There is another Chess book by the same author but I haven't purchased it.

We also have The Usborne Complete Book of Chess but it is more of a overall guidebook. Its pretty and includes a lot of interesting articles but is not particularly useful as a systematic teaching tool for me.

Hubby and I hope to get some more strategy into his game now that he can play a full game, so we are especially interested in systematic and graduated materials.

I dont know of any software programs for teaching chess because the kids are screen-free still.

• Like 1