Menu

Homeschool Hacks

Do you have any homeschool hacks? One of my favorite little things that has added a lot to our homeschool is when I bought a Shakespeare quotes Roku screensaver. Now, whenever someone leaves the TV on, it shows random quotes and then after a few seconds it shows who said it and the play. We have had so many discussions because of that silly little $1 screensaver. 10 years from now, my kids are going to be Shakespeare quote experts if for no other reason than that. 🙂

• Like 8

Oh, tons!

Make spelling words and other things you want memorized your computer password (works great for phone numbers, address, etc. too). 

Also, if any of your kids play the annoying "I'm gonna repeat everything you say game" start saying math equations, spelling words, or anything else you'ld like them to memorize.   Either they quit repeating you or they learn something...win, win!

With little kids, if you have a spinning office chair and you spin them in it, always count out loud as you do it.   They will pick up counting really quickly that way.

Let them jump on the bed while doing math drills (or a trampoline if you have it).

Have a struggling reader who likes video games.   Get a text heavy game.    My son would put more effort into reading that than anything else.

Do they like playing school?   You can do real lessons in play school.  (This one got my kiddo past the crying every day over school stage). 

• Like 6

Some days in the early years, the transition to school in the morning was hard. I learned to choose a fun song to listen to when it was time to start, building in a couple of minutes to make the transition without doing anything hard or intimidating. I picked a new song each week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goldenecho said:

Also, if any of your kids play the annoying "I'm gonna repeat everything you say game" start saying math equations, spelling words, or anything else you'ld like them to memorize.   Either they quit repeating you or they learn something...win, win!

This is why I lurk here. Filing this away for future use!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whatever you want to memorize on a shower curtain 🙂

Also, memory songs/chants as the car playlist. That worked until DD got to be about 12 or so...

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 5:53 PM, MeaganS said:

Today I accidentally stumbled on one. Give a 4yo a tape measurer and let her go wild outside. DD4 went from having no sense of how long an inch was to making pretty decent estimations after a while. 

Along those lines my dd6 has an old phone somebody gave her. It basically does nothing but take pictures and videos. We've never put it on WiFi so that she can do anything else on it. BUT she wants to text do badly, that she goes into the text function and works hard to sound out and spell notes to all of us with emojis of course. She then shows us the notes she "texts" to us. It has really improved her spelling! 

• Like 1

Oh, hey, here's one I made use of today. If you want an old book, but for some reason it's not free for Kindle in the Amazon store, look on Gutenberg.org. (I must at some point have gotten rid of my paper copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and didn't want to pay $3 or $4 for an electronic copy when I know it's out of copyright.)

Also, you can read books formatted for Kindle with a free app on your laptop or other device, not just with an actual Kindle.

• Like 1