Menu

Annual testing, what to use

We have to do annual testing (or an evaluation by a certified teacher) in my state.  We have always just done the testing with a group of homeschoolers that is proctored by someone else. It worked really well, but this year we won't be able to do group testing due to the shut down so I am looking into options.  I am not sure if I want to do something online or try to do some sort of booklet thing.  I was wondering what others here use.

I liked the IOWA compared to the Terra Nova bc the scoring information was so much more detailed.

For example, instead of just one score for spelling, it listed which specific skill or knowledge area was tested by each set of questions, so I could see exactly what was missed.

• Like 2

In my state the governor said that public and private schools would not need to do annual testing, but said nothing about homeschoolers.  Since we are under a completely different set of laws, then we still need to do testing.

14 hours ago, kand said:

With end of year testing waived for public schools, do people think the requirement still applies to homeschoolers? I can’t imagine there is any precedent for whether it does or not. 

Depends on your state. Here in NC, a bill waiving it for nonpublic schools has been presented but not passed yet (and NCHE is concerned because it also included a new requirement that a homeschooling notice of intent would have to now get filed every year instead of just once). Public schools' requirement was effectively waived, the State Board of Ed concluded, by the governor's order closing the public schools.

We test at home using the Iowa Test. Anybody with a bachelor's degree can administer it, normally, and the test provider we use (Triangle Education Assessments) said the degree requirement has been waived during the pandemic.

I'm hoping the scoring is not affected. I mailed ours back in, but it usually takes about a month to get the score.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Depends on your state. Here in NC, a bill waiving it for nonpublic schools has been presented but not passed yet (and NCHE is concerned because it also included a new requirement that a homeschooling notice of intent would have to now get filed every year instead of just once). Public schools' requirement was effectively waived, the State Board of Ed concluded, by the governor's order closing the public schools.

We test at home using the Iowa Test. Anybody with a bachelor's degree can administer it, normally, and the test provider we use (Triangle Education Assessments) said the degree requirement has been waived during the pandemic.

I'm hoping the scoring is not affected. I mailed ours back in, but it usually takes about a month to get the score.

The scoring shouldn't be affected because the results are normed to a certain year and testing group.  There is no comparison with the group that is actually testing this year.

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I mean the act of processing it--if whoever runs it through the machine is under a SIP order.

Oh, yes. I am a bit concerned about that, but figure they won’t send the tests to me if they can’t process them. Here in NY, we can do a narrative this year so that is my back up. 

1 minute ago, freesia said:

Oh, yes. I am a bit concerned about that, but figure they won’t send the tests to me if they can’t process them. Here in NY, we can do a narrative this year so that is my back up. 

Our test got mailed to me several weeks ahead of time, as usual. I don't have a second option, plus I paid for the test in advance, so I'd like to get results soon. I do think Triangle Ed Assessments would've emailed me if they anticipated trouble, though.

• Like 1

I actually contacted my governors office to ask for clarification about homeschool testing and got not response. 

I was minorly annoyed to be jumping this hoop while all the things we would usually do are not available so I went with CAT online.

http://www.academicexcellence.com/complete-online-california-achievement-test/

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, xahm said:

I chose to use the MAP because it's familiar to the schools in my area and because it's adaptive so it can give some indication of my child's actual level.

Can you give that at home?

I always use the Terra Nova from Family Learning Organization. I can administer it at home even though I do not have a college degree. This year's package came with a printout detailing the steps they are taking to make sure materials are safe, but otherwise it was business as usual.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EKS said:

Can you give that at home?

Yes, if you have a computer and decent internet connection. You sign up for a time, then go to the website and phone in when your time is close to starting, they give you the password to get started and also remind you that your child can take as many breaks as they want and even snack or room around outside as needed, but parents need to be careful that the work is the child's own.

2 hours ago, xahm said:

Yes, if you have a computer and decent internet connection. You sign up for a time, then go to the website and phone in when your time is close to starting, they give you the password to get started and also remind you that your child can take as many breaks as they want and even snack or room around outside as needed, but parents need to be careful that the work is the child's own.

Where do you sign up?

ETA:  Never mind, I found it.  I would have loved for this to have been available back in the day.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 2:35 AM, kand said:

With end of year testing waived for public schools, do people think the requirement still applies to homeschoolers? I can’t imagine there is any precedent for whether it does or not. 

Our state has waived the requirement but I’m testing my DD anyway.