Menu

Math Living Book....help me decide :)

I have such a tendency to over load my book choices for the year and then I get overwhelmed....so can anyone recommend which book would be best for a smart 9 yr. old boy?  I wanted to incorporate one day of reading a fun living math book for Friday's (something to look forward to and know I should probably pick one to make it last for the whole year) otherwise it would be read in a day and his takeaway wouldn't be much!  😛

Which do you find best for the age and for the material learned?  Thanks!!

·      The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure   OR  The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat

They're very different books.  MWBD is written for adults with lots of text and hundreds of pages, but is accessible to kids.  Penrose is a rich picture book, meant for kids.  Depends on what suits your kid.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Homeschoolmom3 said:

to make it last for the whole year

You might consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Math-Mysteries-Resist-Grades/dp/0439175402/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=40+math+mysteries&qid=1589075886&s=books&sr=1-2  I'm using it with my ds right now and it's really fun. 

Or if you want to back up a level https://www.amazon.com/More-Math-Mysteries-Kids-Resist/dp/1338257307/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=40+math+mysteries&qid=1589075886&s=books&sr=1-3  is by the same author. It's very conducive to your once a week, make it last a year plan. 

I did living math books with my dd, but I usually just threw them at her. It's something to consider, that some things, if you wait a year, he'll just do for himself. So I would do things that are better done with you, things he won't be able to do for himself as easily.

• Like 1