Menu

Where can I get face masks pretty much immediately if I am not in a position to sew them myself.

KidsHappen

Our city, country (hell who knows maybe state, Idk) has now required masks inside any public establishment and even at some drive thrus but I can't find them anywhere. I can't even find any on Amazon for Prime. All masks seem to be coming overseas and will be here in June or July. I have one dd who is supposed to start wearing them to work next week. Any ideas?

If you are on FB, Nextdoor, or anything similar -- ask there. Either on your personal FB page "Anyone I know making masks? How much?" (they are running $5-$10 around here, mostly in the $5 or $6 range), or search on FB Marketplace, or any neighborhood group, etc. 

Also maybe check Etsy, although that would not be as fast just for shipping.

Also, in our town, stores like gas stations, CVS, and Walgreens are selling some that are passable for in the meantime. 

Lastly, you can use a doubled over bandana "bank robber style" in a pinch as an interim measure while you look for some. Or there are a few t-shirt no-sew options; you should be able to find instructions if you google &/or search YouTube. In an absolute pinch, though maybe not as practical for at work for your dd, you can use a scarf in layers. These would all be sufficient to meet the letter of the law most places. 

• Like 3

Are you on Facebook? I've found that lots of people in my community are sewing face masks and selling them for a small amount or even giving them away. Most will do porch pickup or will deliver for a few dollars more. Check Facebook Marketplace or ask around your community.

• Like 1

What are the requirements for the mask?  Do neck gaiters pulled over the mouth and nose count for going into public places and drive throughs?  Does a scarf over the mouth and nose count?  Can you take a cloth napkin and pleat-fold it, knot a ponytail holder on each end to hold the folds, and then the ponytail holder can be used as a behind-the-ear elastic, or connect the two pony tail holders at the back of the head with a tie.

• Like 1

Ditto what people above said.  Where I am Nextdoor has people doing mask purchases for those not sewing own. 

In a pinch you can probably do this no sew and very easy wash type.  Or something close—and you can add a nose shape wire from a twist tie and a behind head tie not to have ear pressure for better fit, more comfort (you can also add in  a blue shop towel or similar if more filtering is needed: 

https://www.thespruce.com/t-shirt-face-mask-4802111

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

Our city, country (hell who knows maybe state, Idk) has now required masks inside any public establishment and even at some drive thrus but I can't find them anywhere. I can't even find any on Amazon for Prime. All masks seem to be coming overseas and will be here in June or July. I have one dd who is supposed to start wearing them to work next week. Any ideas?

Our CVS has masks behind the register.

We also have two people in our neighborhood who are making masks. One sells and the other gives away.  If you are on your neighborhood facebook group, reach out.

• Like 1

I'm part of a local sewing brigade that gives them away (>12,000 so far). Our county task force also can get folks one for free. But even then, there might be a couple of days turn-around time. Your best bet, I agree, is asking on social media. And be willing to pay at least $5 ($10 probably better reflects the time and materials cost unless someone already had a huge fabric stash they're using up).

• Like 2

Well I’d have your dd contact her employer about expectations.  I’d consider it their responsibility to supply  if required for a job.   I think it’s fair to say you don’t have a sewing machine or a source. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

All Tennessee health departments are giving out free cloth masks to residents.

eta: I hope im remembering correctly that the op lives in tn. If not, my apologies.

I am. Thanks for that. I will have my husband check that out.

So we called the health department and found out that they are both testing and giving out cloth masks at our county agricultural center which is not ten minutes from my house. So at least we will have the basics until the ones I ordered on Amazon finally come in. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1