Menu

Experiences with Sertraline/Zoloft?

I took it for years with no side effects unless I missed a dose.  Then I felt weird.  Not flu like symptoms, but just weird.  I can't remember how long it took me to feel better, but it was pretty quick.  

My younger daughter started it really young....she was on a different SSRI at five and switched to zoloft at seven or so, when she could swallow pills, because we thought it might be more effective.  She improved dramatically literally overnight and has never had any issues.

My older kid started it this fall.  It did take about six weeks to kick in but has worked well.  Also no side effects that we've noticed.  

My dd(27) is on this.  She gained 15-20 pounds in the first 2 months.  After the 2nd week she started having major insomnia.  About 8 weeks in she started having tummy issues. 

DD has anxiety and depression issues and had a baby in December (so postpartum).  She started having stress seizures and was put on this.  She is still having seizures daily (but not as many).  Lack of sleep is the biggest component of her anxiety/depression right now!

She is hoping Dr will move her off of it and perhaps try a different one or go back to just the anti-anxiety med.

-

About 20 years ago I was on it for a brief period.  I had chronic dry mouth and absolute NO 'tea' drive almost immediately.  All went away when I stopped.

One of my male teens has been taking this for 7-8 years for anxiety. We noticed improvement very quickly, and we have not identified any side effects. He does get a little sleepy until his body normalizes dosage increases, and we do notice when he misses a pill.  He definitely has not gained any weight from the medicine. I believe he started at 25 mg around 2nd/3rd grade and is now taking 100mg/day at 5'11" and 150 lbs.

About 1-2 months after he went on the medicine, I asked him what he thought about it. He told me that he never wanted to go back to the way things were before the pills. I still tear up thinking about it, especially given how young he was at the time. His life was very tough in many ways before the meds. He still has moments, but nothing, nothing like pre-medication.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2squared said:

One of my male teens has been taking this for 7-8 years for anxiety. We noticed improvement very quickly, and we have not identified any side effects. He does get a little sleepy until his body normalizes dosage increases, and we do notice when he misses a pill.  He definitely has not gained any weight from the medicine. I believe he started at 25 mg around 2nd/3rd grade and is now taking 100mg/day at 5'11" and 150 lbs.

About 1-2 months after he went on the medicine, I asked him what he thought about it. He told me that he never wanted to go back to the way things were before the pills. I still tear up thinking about it, especially given how young he was at the time. His life was very tough in many ways before the meds. He still has moments, but nothing, nothing like pre-medication.

Yeah, putting my younger kid on it was, far and away the best parenting call we ever made.  I was really reluctant to do so, because she was so young, but it was so life enhancing in so many ways and improved the lives of everyone in the family immensely.

My dd22 has taken it. Slight flu like feeling achy slight headaches tiny bit of nausea for a week or 2. After 3 days she noticed marked improvement in mood. She slowly worked up to full dose and after she got on the full dose for a week or so she was better than she’d been in years. Major major difference in her.

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

An adult. Can we define "bad?"

I'll PM you.   But it's a documented side effect in teens.  So much so, when dd (pharmD) heard he was going on it, she expressed concern to make sure I knew the risks.

Just fyi-Check on the new one she recommended.  Some of the newer meds have more side effects than Zoloft, which has been around for a long time.  They are also much much tougher to get off of. (So I’ve heard).  I specifically asked for an old time med like Zoloft.  

• Like 1