Menu

Venty vent vent: "faith not fear"

MercyA

If I hear "we need to live in faith and not in fear" one more time in reference to the coronavirus, my head is going to explode. This is what people at my church keep repeating like a mantra. Although no one says so directly, we are seen as the ones who are fearful and paranoid and lacking in faith.

I guess it's okay to take a revolver, spin the chamber, point it at someone's head, and "have faith" they won't die, yes?

They are the ones who are fearful. They are fearful church attendance will go down, giving will go down, fellowship will be lacking, and on and on. 

No. Do the right thing. Protect people's health. Obey the law. And leave the consequences to God. 

And as a side note--because these people haven't been taking this seriously, my husband isn't going to want my DD to hang out with her friends--who no doubt will all be getting together soon. Arggh. 

And as another side note--trusting politicians / news anchors /  bloggers who have *no* idea what they're talking about instead of trusting good science and qualified experts not only puts people's lives at risk, but makes us look like idiots.

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE, I am irritated and way too judgy.

🤯

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

Tell them to read Leviticus.

Ah, interesting. The parts about quarantine? Or maybe this timeless advice?

"You shall rise up before the grayheaded and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Ah, interesting. The parts about quarantine? Or maybe this timeless advice?

"You shall rise up before the grayheaded and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord."

I think that whenever you see them you should just yell "Unclean! Unclean!" and run away.

• Haha 31

I'm watching Trump doing a town hall tonight (it's on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3hFWlOIuU ) and he's talking about schools resuming with masks and distancing. If that's the case, I'm not sure we're going to see teen hangouts encouraged. I mean, it would be totally useless to wear masks at school and then go hang out close together with no masks. So I'm not sure where this is going, sigh, but it may be that distancing and restricted socializing are going to be encouraged a lot longer, I don't know. 

I definitely think we have a mental health issue brewing if we DON'T get things normalized for kids. My ds doesn't completely understand what is going on and the idea that it will end, and it seems the kids who are committing suicide over this don't either. 

And yes, I think you're right to be cynical and think that naive statements about not worrying, that somehow you'll be protected from this and should show up at church are driven by money and fear. Our church is waiting for guidance from the governor, but they're very clearly anticipating an extremely cautious return to assembly, with things like televised services and anyone 60+ being encouraged to stay home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not here as often anymore so I may have missed this. Did your church not close doors for the time being? It sounds like services are going on and people are encouraged to come and show they have faith instead of fear? Not sure if that is what you meant.

It does remind me of the "if you prayed harder / were more righteous / conquered your sins, etc, etc. your would not be ill / experiencing difficulties, etc.

Such a bad example and not exactly what faith means IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be tempted to smile and then quote scripture. I bet you will get nods of approval for the first part, but you can put some emphasis on those last two words to drive home your point 🙂

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So when people are saying this ‘live by faith not by fear’ they are using that as justification to ignore social distancing guidelines.?

I know some have been ignoring them, yes. Whether it's a "faith over fear" issue or a "this is all a hoax" issue, I couldn't say for sure. 😞 

18 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I am not here as often anymore so I may have missed this. Did your church not close doors for the time being? It sounds like services are going on and people are encouraged to come and show they have faith instead of fear? Not sure if that is what you meant.

The doors were shut when they were forced to shut them by our governor's order. However...people have been encouraged to get together in small groups to watch online services, even very elderly people; people have quietly been meeting socially; a totally unnecessary drive in service was held; teams of people (including the elderly) come in to record music for the online services; a shower was held, with bags of treats handed out, before the non-essential travel ban was lifted; and on and on. 

It is just so obvious that people aren't taking this seriously, at all. 

• Sad 8

Oh, gosh.  I'm so sorry! 

Our doors re-opened today, and a few people came, and I don't really understand why we opened, what the purpose is. 

Many on staff were not there, myself included, because we fall into the category of "those with risk, those protecting a household member, or those who are uneasy about coming for whatever reason."  Fortunately our senior pastor was *very* clear about continuing to attend services online if one so desired.  

But again, I still don't know the reason for us opening our doors:  giving is on track, people are just fine with online services, the church is reaching more people in our community than ever, church members are reaching out splendidly.  

Ughh...I don't want us to have a cluster or a super-spreader event and make the headlines. 

• Like 3

Preach it!  Yeah I know what you mean.  It is really baffling, and disheartening.  I don't see that in my current church community, thankfully, but I see it on Facebook among really sweet friends of mine in the community we moved from.  I've really struggled to understand where it's coming from.  I do think part of it is that politics has weaseled its way into church and intwined itself into some of their beliefs, resulting in an even wider "we" vs "they" attitude... "We" being the righteous ones who know better, and "they" being the evil, wrong ones, who are trying to trick us ~ a mixture of a misinterpreted understanding of who God is, plus politics.  

God is love.  He loves everyone equally and preciously -- Christians and non-Christians, any political party, and so on.  I believe what He calls us to do is whatever is the most loving thing to do for our neighbor, and to protect those who need protection, and to help those who need help.  It's the here and now that counts.  Today.  This moment.  The most loving thing we can do right now is to protect each other as best as we can in the midst of a pandemic.  

Obviously you know all of that!  🙂  Sometimes it just helps me to write it out though. 

Anyway, I have a lot more I could say, but that's probably enough.  😄 

Edited by J-rap
forgot the word "now" and added too many "you know's" :)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I do think part of it is that politics has weaseled its way into church and intwined itself into some of their beliefs, resulting in an even wider "we" vs "they" attitude... "We" being the righteous ones who know better, and "they" being the evil, wrong ones, who are trying to trick us ~ a mixture of a misinterpreted understanding of who God is, plus politics.

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head here. And the rest of your post is beautiful, too.

• Like 4

I love you guys so much. Truly. You are my peeps and you have changed me. ❤️

I shouldn't care what people think and it will all be easier (I think?) when my daughter is launched. 😉So much of what I do right now is trying to protect and nurture her relationships. 

I have my own faults (boy do I ever) and my own blind spots, I'm sure. It's just...it seems like protecting people's lives should be at the top of the list for things a church should do. So we are frustrated.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Preach it!  Yeah I know what you mean.  It is really baffling, and disheartening.  I don't see that in my current church community, thankfully, but I see it on Facebook among really sweet friends of mine in the community we moved from.  I've really struggled to understand where it's coming from.  I do think part of it is that politics has weaseled its way into church and intwined itself into some of their beliefs, resulting in an even wider "we" vs "they" attitude... "We" being the righteous ones who know better, and "they" being the evil, wrong ones, who are trying to trick us ~ a mixture of a misinterpreted understanding of who God is, plus politics.  

Makes you want to remind them of that "faith, not fear" bit when they start talking about how worried they are about the war on Christians, etc. 

heck, maybe the next person who says they are worried that this is all a power grab, I'll smile and tell them, "faith, not fear". 

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am not seeing this in my religious community at all.  We are not reopened and I don’t expect it anytime soon.  We are doing zoom and being encouraged to continue social distancing as much as possible.  

Mine hasn't reopened either.  Things are available online at both the local level and the larger level.  (They do a "women's education" something conference every spring, as sort of a 'retreat' type thing - this year it was entirely online.)

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Ugh.  This is bullshit.  Plus, we have a killer virus AND murder hornets.  Fear seems pretty darn rational.

OK - third time I've now seen something about these murder hornets.

so - please explain.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Ugh.  This is bullshit.  Plus, we have a killer virus AND murder hornets.  Fear seems pretty darn rational.

Excellent point.  Fear isn't always bad. It can be a very good way of telling us that we need to think and respond in a rational, smart way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Mine hasn't reopened either.  Things are available online at both the local level and the larger level.  (They do a "women's education" something conference every spring, as sort of a 'retreat' type thing - this year it was entirely online.)

OK - third time I've now seen something about these murder hornets.

so - please explain.

I haven't heard about them either!

25 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Seriously.  I dare one of those people to have a stand-off with those 2 inch murderous hornets and say “I have faith not fear!”

Faith. And RAID!

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

And someone said those "murder hornets" are coming from China. I have no clue if that was a bad joke or what.

they originated in asia. - they were spotted in Blaine - which is right. over. the. border. from British Columbia.  Major BC port (Tsawwassen)  not far from there too.  they probably came aboard ships.

They found a nest in Nanaimo,  on Vancouver Island - but not genetically related to the one found in Blaine.

• Thanks 1

Most people I know including me aren't afraid of Covid.  They just know that in order to protect the population they have to stay home.  I am not particularly scared of being hit by a car either but I wouldn't consider it an act of faith to cross the road without looking.  God expects people to apply a little of their brain power before acting surely.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, kiwik said:

Most people I know including me aren't afraid of Covid.  They just know that in order to protect the population they have to stay home.  I am not particularly scared of being hit by a car either but I wouldn't consider it an act of faith to cross the road without looking.  God expects people to apply a little of their brain power before acting surely.

Yup. I told someone (on here?) that God wants me to have faith, but he also wants me to look both ways before crossing the street!

Like I quote above - he made us with a sound mind! We should use it. 

• Like 5

I just explained to someone on FB last night that fear isn't a bad thing.  I used the example of locking doors, which we do out of fear that someone will enter our house without us knowing.  Surprisingly they responded in an almost positive way.

• Like 4

I am afraid of getting COVID19. I There have been many otherwise healthy people (the Broadway dancer who had to have a leg amputated due to COVID19 blood clots and who is still in the hospital with severe lung damage comes to mind). And I am significantly higher risk than he was.

I had “something “ for six very long weeks. It was “mild “ in that I didn’t have to seek medical treatment (and  thus have. no way to know what it was- to rule COVID19 in or out). But it wasn’t a “fun” six weeks. My airways were so raw and swollen especially at night that I often wasn’t sure if I would wake up. 

But I don’t think that I was ruled by fear. I spent time reading my Bible about trusting God and meditating on that. I had a plan laid out with dh (an RN) on what would trigger a need to seek medical help. (My doctor knew that I was ill and I had my inhalers etc but I knew that I didn’t meet the CDC’s very narrowly defined guidelines for testing or hospitalization. 

On one level I am not afraid of death. I have confidence of being with the Lord. On another level I have a very strong desire to fight tooth and nail to still be in my young adult children’s lives. And as someone who has had my airways close off more than once, I have a strong fear of suffocation. It’s not this pleasant benign thing. 

I said all this to a couple of “minimizers” and it was amazing how quickly they shifted to concern for me. Maybe because it was no longer this abstract thing?  And because I wasn’t their picture of a political boogeymen making stuff up?  (Which is the part of this that I don’t understand). 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I'm watching Trump doing a town hall tonight (it's on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3hFWlOIuU ) and he's talking about schools resuming with masks and distancing. If that's the case, I'm not sure we're going to see teen hangouts encouraged. I mean, it would be totally useless to wear masks at school and then go hang out close together with no masks. So I'm not sure where this is going, sigh, but it may be that distancing and restricted socializing are going to be encouraged a lot longer, I don't know. 

I definitely think we have a mental health issue brewing if we DON'T get things normalized for kids. My ds doesn't completely understand what is going on and the idea that it will end, and it seems the kids who are committing suicide over this don't either. 

And yes, I think you're right to be cynical and think that naive statements about not worrying, that somehow you'll be protected from this and should show up at church are driven by money and fear. Our church is waiting for guidance from the governor, but they're very clearly anticipating an extremely cautious return to assembly, with things like televised services and anyone 60+ being encouraged to stay home. 

In my wild-guess opinion, I think a lot - a LOOOOOT - of teen hangouts and other socializing that completely spurns masking and SDing will be encouraged everywhere, within a month, “under the table,” if not directly from the Executives. 

I am basing this opinion partially on what I witnessed at the beginning, after schools were closed, but before the SAH order: friends posting on facebook how they were having campfires and cookouts and parties at their homes or in their yards. It is what prompted me to post several articles like one entitled “This is Not a Snow Day”, which somehow had to spell out to people that closing schools was not for the purpose of figuring out other ways to get your kids together in groups. 🤨

The other part I am basing it on is the “Faith not fear” belief, as MercyA described and the protests/political action going on. There was a civil lawsuit filed today in my state against the Governor, with plaintiffs listed as an amusement park, a church and I-don’t-know-who-all. I didn’t have the stomach to read the Complaint. It makes me so angry at those who are doing this. 

And I agree with Mercy - the church should be the number-one leader in protecting the vulnerable. I am totally amazed by friends who have pro-life stickers on their cars, posting “we need to re-open” steaming heap of bull-shavoky on their FBs. 

Thankfully, I have not yet seen “my” church saying such things. Also, my pastor and his wife, I heard today, are positive for COVID-19, so, in a weird way, that will most likely help the narrative I support. 

• Like 3

@Ordinary Shoes and @MercyA, if I were not “done” with church before COVID-19, the things you describe would end it forever for me. 

I will say this: I had a notion of “shopping” churches earlier, but now there are some churches that are forever off my list as possibilities because of how their church leadership is framing/talking about/responding to Coronavirus. Definitely any church that is dismissive of the vulnerable population and the need to protect them through our own inconveniences will never see my church shoes in the future. 

It may be that COVID-19 will be the hugest-ever revelation for separating the wheat from the chaff. And I mean that in every arena: political, religious, friends/family, businesses, medical personnel. 

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Quill said:

It may be that COVID-19 will be the hugest-ever revelation for separating the wheat from the chaff.

I wonder if also people are doing a lot of thinking about death and their religion? I notice Franklin Graham doing more ads on tv with lines to pray with people. I just saw an ad (that I couldn't hear because the treadmill was noisy) by the My Pillow guy with a book he has written about his story and presumably his faith. I almost thought he was sending out the book for FREE along with a $25 My Pillow gift card. I was kind of flabbergasted.

So I don't know, I've been pleased with the response our church has had. It has been very respectful of gov't and caring about people. I would think many churches have been that way. Here in Ohio they were not *required* to close because constitutionally that would be a hard sell. Churches CHOSE to close and meet other ways, voluntarily. I think people are very cognizant of that, that we CHOSE to protect the vulnerable. 

And yes, if people are thinking, that's good. I hope people are finding hope. I find these cases of suicide over this just overwhelming. Young children, kids the age of my ds, committing suicide, teens and adults. My dad was getting very depressed, because remember his restrictions in assisted living are much higher than yours or mine. So the mental health of this, the need to stay encouraged and believe it will end and all work out, to know you're surrounded by love or loved by someone, this is huge.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Sad 1

I saw "Faith not fear" on a sign outside of a church for the past couple of weeks. I am not a church-goer. I hoped it had a positive meaning, like use your faith to help you deal with your fear, or something. I guess that was probably not the case, it was probably more like "do whatever you want as long as you believe." Fortunately my state is very clear on social gatherings and only church gatherings of less than 10 are allowed. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MercyA said:

I love you guys so much. Truly. You are my peeps and you have changed me. ❤️

I shouldn't care what people think and it will all be easier (I think?) when my daughter is launched. 😉So much of what I do right now is trying to protect and nurture her relationships. 

I have my own faults (boy do I ever) and my own blind spots, I'm sure. It's just...it seems like protecting people's lives should be at the top of the list for things a church should do. So we are frustrated.

Some churches in our area are slowly opening with social distancing (meeting outdoors with members bringing their lawn chairs and family groups staying apart, or pews marked for distance, etc.) encouraged.

These churches are begging the high risk to STAY HOME and encouraging families to think through their decisions and respecting differing viewpoints. They're keeping their online stuff going too. 

And while I have reservations about that, I get it. I know these churches and they're not money grubbers or anything like that.

But hyping a line that members have to prove their faith by attending, that we're just to throw caution to the wind and behave foolishly...well, that is idiocy and it makes me furious!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Quill said:

@PeterPan, I don’t wish to seem crass, but I have a hard time understanding suicide prompted by Coronavirus. Or by social restrictions due to Coronavirus. Like - it just doesn’t make sense to me how someone could decide that life is not worth living because there exists a virus/pandemic OR that not doing social things is just so bitter as to feel death is preferable. 

Maybe it is my future-orientation coming into play again. Even with massive uncertainty - which is not my favorite circumstance - I still have a hope for the future, both collectively and individually. 

I would venture to guess that in the case of kids as PeterPan discussed, it is because they have limited experiences and to them, this COULD feel like forever. Their sense of future-orientation may not be as well-developed as adults. We've weathered some storms and bad times, but they have not, you know? 

I can also see people with pre-existing mental conditions like depression and anxiety having a harder time with the quarantine. They may need to socialize to feel more human. They may be calmed in the presence of others. So day after day of being isolated can make depression worse, and people with depression are not really capable of rational thought at times. I say this as someone with a long history of depression and anxiety--the thing about depression is that it makes it impossible to see the bright side of things. And when you can't see that light at the end of the tunnel, things seem pointless, and you may decide to end the misery. Personally, I'm lucky in that I've always been more of an introvert so the isolation is not a big problem for me.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

I saw "Faith not fear" on a sign outside of a church for the past couple of weeks. I am not a church-goer. I hoped it had a positive meaning, like use your faith to help you deal with your fear, or something. I guess that was probably not the case, it was probably more like "do whatever you want as long as you believe." Fortunately my state is very clear on social gatherings and only church gatherings of less than 10 are allowed. 

As a Christian, when I think of the phrase “faith not fear,” that is how I see it...focusing on my faith rather than focusing on fear. I am sad to hear that so many churches are turning this around and using it to invoke feelings of guilt or even encouraging folks to make poor decisions. 

I live in a state that is opening up today (WV). Hair salons, outdoor dining, small businesses (fewer than 10 employees) are allowed to open up. Churches are also allowed to open, with pretty strict guidelines given. I attend a large church for my area (over 1,000 attendees) and yesterday, during the virtual service, our pastor was very clear that while he understands that everyone is looking forward to being together again, our church will not begin holding in-person services until they know that they can do so safely. Since they don’t have a way to do that right now, we will continue to meet virtually. Of course, during many of the services during this pandemic, my pastors talked about not having fear and trusting in God. But never did they say that we should ignore public health or the guidance of our leaders and just do what we want. Most of the churches in my (very conservative) area are continuing with virtual services and not taking on the risk of large gatherings at this time. There are good churches out there!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

This mentality has seriously disrupted our church. This is how it has played out. 

It has been minimized from the top. There were several sermons where people who "feared" COVID were chastised. During these sermons, we were told that people who "feared" COVID were too attached to the physical life. Before the church was closed, people who were "too scared" were told they could stay home. I don't recall any expression of concern for people who were at higher risk. It was said during a sermon that the risks of COVID were exaggerated by the media. 

Some people (not just me) were very offended by this. People who expressed concerns were told they were "divisive." There are several people on the verge of leaving. 

There are several people in the church who are actively posting conspiracy theories on their FB pages like alleging that this is about taking down Trump and that the deaths are being exaggerated so hospitals can collect more money. 

But it's not like this problem began with COVID. Many of these people do not vaccinate even though there are several people in the church who are immunocompromised. There are people who have been made fun of for promoting the annual flu shot. Children have been sick and not kept home and families who expressed concerns about this were ignored. Basically it's been a gigantic "FU" to anyone who was more vulnerable coupled with ignorance. 

I'm ashamed to say that because no one in my family is immunocompromised that I did not realize how bad the problem was before. 

I don't think my church is that unique. I think this is a general problem with communities that base their identity on being contrariarian. Us vs them. "They" think COVID is a concern so it must not be a concern. "They" vaccinate so "we" don't vaccinate. "They" send their kids to public school so "we" don't. 

ETA to how it's playing out here. When you get beyond our small church to the next level, things are much better. People with a much greater responsibility have taken a very different tone. Our problem is local. 

gently - I realize this is your church.  But my impression of the pastors who were doing this that made the news is they were too attached to their collection plates.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

I would venture to guess that in the case of kids as PeterPan discussed, it is because they have limited experiences and to them, this COULD feel like forever. Their sense of future-orientation may not be as well-developed as adults. We've weathered some storms and bad times, but they have not, you know? 

I can also see people with pre-existing mental conditions like depression and anxiety having a harder time with the quarantine. They may need to socialize to feel more human. They may be calmed in the presence of others. So day after day of being isolated can make depression worse, and people with depression are not really capable of rational thought at times. I say this as someone with a long history of depression and anxiety--the thing about depression is that it makes it impossible to see the bright side of things. And when you can't see that light at the end of the tunnel, things seem pointless, and you may decide to end the misery. Personally, I'm lucky in that I've always been more of an introvert so the isolation is not a big problem for me.  

I suppose. 

I have a history of anxiety and depression, too, but, in my case at least, being home does not make me worse, it makes me better. Introvert thing, I guess. I do miss my friends; hell, I miss just being able to poke around a bookstore or an antiques shop, but I guess I just feel like, this won’t be forever. It’s crappy at the moment, but it will get better. 

• Like 3

Faith over fear, yes, but faith in what?  In Whom?

What promise has God ever made to keep us healthy and free of a painful disease or death?  None!  So our faith in a promise that He has not made would be foolish and actually fairly insulting to Him.  

We trust Him with our lives, our salvation, and our ways.  But, as others have said, we are also told not to put Him to the test.  

Yes, our focus should be on Him more so than on this illness or on anything else in this life. 

But we are not called out of this world.  We are called to be in it but not of it.  We are told that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.  It follows that we have an obligation to take care of them.  We are told to love our neighbors as ourselves, and it follows that we have an obligation to take care of others, too.

• Like 8