Menu

Minor incontinence in 8yo dd-anyone else encountered this....(graphic description)

She is a kid that has always urinated VERY frequently, and pediatrician has said not to worry about it since she's always been that way.

But now when she pulls up her pants she said about a quarter size amount comes out, even if she sits there a long time to make sure it's all out. She's concerned about it enough that I sat in the bathroom with her tonight to "observe" (just be with her to see what happened) and sure enough, she finished, and pulled her pants up, got the feeling, sat back down on the toilet and several drops came out. She said it started several months ago but the amount has increased. I am calling pediatrician in a.m, but just wondered if anyone else has encountered this and how they managed it. Might be a long shot, I realize! Thanks!

Has she taken alot of antibiotics in her life, like for ear infections? If so, that will mess up the micro flora (good bacteria) in her intestinal and urinary system which can contribute to this problem. Two things I would do: get her on a good (refridgerated) probiotic to put the good bacteria back in her system and put her on a cranberry pill supplement with lots of water to not allow the bad bacteria to grow in her bladder.

HTH,

Lora

I would suspect it's either muscle tone or, simply, positional and there is a drop or two of urine still left in her urethra so, when she stands up and relaxes, there's a drip. (Remember, cotton wicks, so a quarter sized spot isn't very much.

I have experienced something like that when I have waited a really, really long time to go and the bladder muscles don't seem to fully contract to empty completely. And my dad has recently claimed that this is a regular occurrence in men... but I haven't polled any random men to corroborate his story. (and, yes, I have the most bizarre conversations with my dad.)

Is she drinking more? Urinating less frequently? Maybe some Kegel exercises?

Her doctor will probably want a urinalysis to rule out a urinary tract infection. UTI's are more common in girls/women than boys/men because the diameter of the female urethra is fairly large, allowing bacteria to travel up with relative ease. UTIs are not uncommon in younger girls who might not always be super-careful about wiping front to back every time.

I'd suggest not pushing water until after that sample is taken, because sometimes that makes it harder to get the initial diagnosis. But after she gives a urine sample I'd be pushing water and cranberry juice too.

Hope you get some answers soon!

:) Carolyn

She generally eats a lot of good bacteria-I make kefir and yogurt-but I haven't made it in over a month so I'm wondering if it is a bacterial imbalance. Good point, thank you-I will make some tomorrow! Crazyhouse-I hadn't thought of it being positional-another good point. I also felt better considering your valid idea of the cotton wicking, so it's not really that much. I will wait til after I speak to doctor to see if she wants to test her, then I will push cranberry and water. Maybe she hasn't been drinking enough? I had thought of kegels, so I will try that with her regardless of the outcome of this because I think it could help her hold her urine longer in between bathroom visits. THANK YOU! It brings tears to my eyes, the caring and helpfulness on this board!

Personally, I'd see a pediatric urologist, unless her frequent urinations have already been "worked up". Congenital malformations of the urinary tract are very common, hence a whole subspecialty devoted to it. There can be consequences, e.g. a bladder that forces urine back into the kidney with each urination can lead to damage to the kidney. If your kid doesn't get repeated infections to "declare" this, it could rumble along damaging the kidney.

But remember, free advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it. Good luck!

It's possible that urine is "refluxing" into her vagina when she urinates, and when she stands up the urine is actually dripping from the vaginal area rather than her urethra. I had a hysterectomy four years ago that wsa complicated by severe adhesions between my uterus and bladder, and ever since then I have had this reflux problem. My urogynecologist told me that this is actually fairly common, especially in young girls. Sorry to be graphic, but a good way to tell if she is experiencing reflux is for her to wipe, then spread her labia with one hand and wipe the vaginal area (with fresh TP) with the other hand. This should take care of any residual urine.

I have found that leaning forward when I empty my bladder helps to prevent the urine from flowing backward, so your daughter may want to try that as well.

Again, sorry to be so graphic (especially since I'm so new here), but I wanted to post this in the event it might help her. You can google "urethrovaginal reflux" for more info.

Good luck!

I'm trying a few things first, including all of what is mentioned here. I'm going to see if the positional change helps too. I will give it a few days and see what happens. I've noticed with my dd that there is almost always a little bit of psychosomatic element mixed in, and that sometimes if she feels we're working on "fixing" it, it can sometimes resolve it! Her pediatrician is also aware of this, and we've found that a mixture of some aid, plus a wait and see attitude often works.