Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW18: Ladies of Fiction - Sharon Kay Penman

Robin M

@Lecka
Thanks!  Some of what you are saying is ringing a bell - like I might have a couple of previously purchased books out there in the realm of "manage my devices". I'll do some looking around. That also means that "on the device" can be limited to what I am currently reading. Ok, some ideas to work with! I can't do much until we get 98 chapters further along in the Count's adventures.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

I have a Kindle Voyage (which they don't make anymore 😞 ) but I only have books on it, not audio books (Kindles in Canada can't do audiobooks - it's very frustrating).  With over 300 books, I'm still at only 1.3 GB of storage used (with 1.74 GB free).  Audio books must take up much more space. 🙂

I'm thinking that too, because it occurs to me that I have two other audiobooks on my Fire that I got from Audiosync. I bet I could slide those up a usb cable on to my computer and free up some additional space. Surely the Count will be breaking free if his prison soon, I would like to give him a bit of room to roam.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

What I Saw in America by G.K. Chesterton

"An enduring portrait of America’s virtues and vices as seen by one of England’s greatest thinkers

After losing his brother in the Great War, a troubled and depressed G. K. Chesterton accepts an invitation to join a lecture tour that will take him across the United States for the first time. Part travelogue, part exploration of the American experiment, What I Saw in America begins with a man of letters trying to reconcile his faith with the atrocities and moral dilemmas of war and expands into an illuminating consideration of the limitations of capitalism, the concept of American exceptionalism, and the future of the democratic system."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I don't think I've updated my "Finished Reading" list in quite a while.  I haven't managed to read that much and what I have read has been light and fluffy.  Final exam time is here for students so after I get those graded, returned, and final reports issued, I can settle into the reading porch and get some serious readin' done! 😉

Since I last updated (heaven knows when that was), I've finished 5 books:

Books read in 2020

14. The House at Sea’s End (Ruth Galloway, #3) by Elly Griffiths  *Mystery – 4 stars

13. Storm in the Village (Fairacre, #3) by Miss Read  *Historical fiction – 4 stars

12. The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon  *Horror – 4 stars

11. The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2) by Elly Griffiths  *Mystery – 4 stars

10. The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths  *Mystery – 4 stars

9. Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick  *Historical fiction – 3 stars

8. Village Diary (Fairacre, #2) by Miss Read  *Historical fiction – 3 stars

7. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann  *Nonfiction – 5 stars

6. Crooked River (Pendergast #19) by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child  *Mystery/Thriller – 4 stars

5. Village School (Fairacre, #1) by Miss Read  *Historical fiction - 4 stars

4. The Graveyard Apartment by Mariko Koike  *Horror - 5 stars

3. Daughters of the Grail by Elizabeth Chadwick  *Historical fiction/romance - 4 stars

2 1/2.  Extraction (Pendergast #12.5) by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child  *Fiction (short story) - 4 stars  (I didn't think that a short story would count but I did finish it 🙂 )

2. The Case of the Chocolate Cream Killer: The Poisonous Passion of Christiana Edmunds by Kaye Jones   *Nonfiction (history) - 4 stars

1. The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick   *Historical fiction/romance - 3 stars

Since this is week 19 of 2020, I'm not keeping up with a book a week but I hope to remedy that come summertime.  As usual, I've got a number of books on the go so we'll see which ones I feel inclined to work on/finish in the next bit. 🙂

Oh!  I never did share the oldest book in my house (by purchase date) so I hope it's ok that I share it here.  Everyone probably can guess the series without my having to name it...

image.thumb.jpeg.a761675d85a78e5f71088b116771d834.jpeg

My family didn't have much money when I was growing up so I remember saving and saving to buy this box set.  The set isn't terribly well bound (it's not an expensive set) so I don't dare open the volumes up now as I'm afraid the binding would just give way.  But it makes me happy just to look at the box. 🙂  I read these books over and over when I was young.  I'm guessing the purchase date was around 1979-1980?

The oldest book I have in my house by publication date is a charming little botanical book - in Swedish.  Which I can't read. 😄  My mother's family is from Sweden and I found the book at a flea market and bought it for $2, I think.  It has sketches of plants along with (what I assume are) descriptions and other information.  I can recognize some of the plants from the drawings like the one below.  The publication date is 1874.

image.jpeg.48b47a730f7cde70a038427136075057.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.144d0b2c41ab6d49895fcfb23757cb31.jpeg

I'm glad to hear the everyone is weathering the current state of affairs as best they can and that access to libraries is starting to open up.  Yay!  The vet was out yesterday to give the annual vaccinations for the horses and she's a reader, too.  We had a lovely bookish conversation (from 6 feet apart) after she was done vaccinating and checking the horses.  They didn't need to have their teeth floated this time - if they had, we could have had even longer to talk books. 🙂

• Like 7

I just finished reading Road to the Sun (re-released asEnds of the Earth) by Keira Andrews; this was a pleasant romance. (Significant adult content)

"A desperate young father. A lonely ranger. A race against time.

Jason Kellerman’s life revolves around his eight-year-old daughter. Teenage curiosity with his best friend led to Maggie’s birth, and her mother tragically died soon after. Only twenty-five and a single dad, Jason hasn’t had time to even think about romance. Disowned by his wealthy family, he’s scrimped and saved to bring Maggie west for a camping vacation. The last thing Jason expects is to question his sexuality after meeting a sexy, older park ranger.

Ben Hettler’s stuck. He loves working in the wild under Montana’s big sky, but at forty-one, his love life is non-existent, his ex-boyfriend just married and adopted, and Ben’s own dream of fatherhood feels impossibly out of reach. He’s attracted to Jason, but what’s the point? Besides the age difference and skittish Jason’s lack of experience, they live thousands of miles apart. Ben wants more than a meaningless fling.

Then a hunted criminal on the run takes Jason’s daughter hostage, throwing Jason and Ben together in a desperate and dangerous search through endless miles of mountain forest. They’ll go to the ends of the earth to rescue Maggie—but what comes next? Can they build a new family together and find a place to call home? "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Free for Kindle readers ~

The Complete Anne of Green Gables Collection by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Also

Dangerous to Love: Ten Novels of Romantic Suspense by Toni Anderson, Barbara Freethy & 8 others

DANGEROUS TO LOVE is a limited-time boxed set of TEN full-length novels by some of the most exciting Romantic Suspense authors in the business.

Included in the box set:
COLD & DEADLY by Toni Anderson
DESPERATE PLAY by Barbara Freethy
ENDGAME by Dee Davis
COLD SIGHT by Leslie A. Kelly
WATCH ME by Cynthia Eden
BROKEN WITH YOU by J. Kenner
COMING HOME by Meli Raine
BLINDSIDED by Gwen Hernandez
HARD TARGET by Pamela Clare
COVERT EVIDENCE by Rachel Grant

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Dicentra said:

They didn't need to have their teeth floated

Could you satisfy my curiosity on what this means? My grandma used to occasionally day her teeth were floating when she really need to use the restroom, but from content I don't think this is the same thing?

The boxed set looks so cool. Are the books inside hardbound? What do you envision the future to be for that set?

• Like 2

Robin emailed a group of us and said she can't log in to WTM. She asked one of us who can get in to post. She's still having trouble and hasn't been able to get on since Thursday. She's in touch with WTM support and apparently the issue is still affecting some people but not everyone. I was locked out for a few hours yesterday but was back in by last night. 

She said we should just continue posting in this thread if she hasn't been able to get back in by tomorrow. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4