Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW18: Ladies of Fiction - Sharon Kay Penman

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts.  Welcome to May which is officially May Mystery Month.  It’s also National Commitment Month which means it's time to reassess all those goals we made at the beginning of the year.

Coincidently it’s Date Your Mate month. There are many fun things happening this week such as Bird day, plus May the Fourth be with you and indulging in a day long marathon of Star Wars. Let’s party on the 5th with Cinco de Mayo, then celebrate all our wonderful health care folks with National Nurses day on the 6th. National Tourism day on the 7th means lots of armchair traveling before No Socks Day on the 8th so you can play footsies with your significant other. Did anyone lose a sock? The 9th is Lost Sock Memorial Day which gives you time to find the matches or discard those lonely unmatched socks. 

This month we celebrate our Ladies of Fiction with Sharon Kay Penman who has written multiple historical fiction novels including the Welsh Trilogy set in 13th Wales, and Angevin Novels set during the time of the Plantagenet Kings, as well as a historical mystery series Justin De Quincy set during the 12th century. Her newest novel The Land Beyond the Sea is also set in the 12th century and surrounds the reign of King Baldwin IV, the King of Jerusalem. 

I'm not a big fan of dry history books so am really picky about historical fiction. I fell in love with Penman's writing years ago with Here Be Dragons. Her books are meant to be savored and read slowly as they are rich in detail and imagery and makes history come alive. After I finished the Welsh trilogy, I wanted to read When Christ and Her Saints Slept which has been on my shelves forever but just hadn't gotten around to it. Now is the perfect time to dive into the world of the Plantagenets. 

There are a number of ways to complete the bookology challenge, including but not limited to:

·         Spell out the author's name - one book per letter from the title on the cover.

·         Read one or more books written by the author.

·         Read a book written in the country or time period of the author or novel.

Learn more about Sharon through an interview with the Literary Librarian, the Historical Novel Society, and Goodreads Ask the Author

Happy reading! 

Link to Week 17

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews if you like.

• Like 7

I read quite a bit this week and finished a couple steampunk books: Anne Renwick's The Golden Spider and The Silver Skull in her Elemental Steampunk Chronicle series.  Halfway through the third book The Iron Fin.

Finished a super dusty  Christian Mystery  from my shelves:  C.J. Darlington's Thicker Than Blood and started David Baldacci's The Innocent which is really, really good. He's one of my favorite authors.   I'm sipping from the essays of Ursula Le Guin in The Wave in the Mind

Really looking forward to diving into When Christ and HIs Saints Slept this week.

We watched a great Pixar movie Big Hero Six  last night which was really good and we are all looking forward to the finale of the animated Star Wars Clone Wars series tomorrow. 

• Like 7

Let's see what I have on Overdrive...

Reading:

I finally got "The Hanover Square Affair" by Ashley Gardner. So far so good, shapes up to be a nice mystery.

During my lunch hour, I am reading "Bittersweet" by Shauna Niequist. A book that celebrates friends, good dinners and life in general.

Audiobooks:

"Breaker's Reef" by Blackstock. This is a re-read / re-listen for me but it's comforting like an old blanket in crazy times.

"Gone to Ground" by Brandilyn Collins is another audio. I go through audio much faster because of my long commute.

I also have "Boundaries Face to Face" by Cloud / Townsend on audio but not sure if I'll get to it in its entirety. I have the book so I can get back to that if I need to refresh on something.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 8

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Triumphs of Eugene Valmont by Robert Barr

"Can Paris’s most interesting detective make it in London?

Eugène Valmont was once considered one of Paris’s top detectives. But a high-profile failure to recover the jewels of Marie Antoinette made him the laughingstock of the city, and in turn caused him to flee to the last place any self-respecting Parisian would ever want to be: London. Despite the stiffness of his English contemporaries and the red tape of their legal system, however, Valmont continues to try to solve crimes. Going toe-to-toe with the likes of his crime-fighting rival, Sherlock Holmes, Valmont will break any rule necessary to catch his man—no matter what the stakes."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

From the Word Wenches: What the Wenches are Reading in April!

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2020/04/what-the-wenches-are-reading-in-april.html#more

Murderbots, Hamster Princesses, and Other Cute Reads by

Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer

https://www.tor.com/2020/05/01/murderbots-hamster-princesses-and-other-cute-reads/

Ringer Reads: Susanna Clarke’s Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/13/21218597/ringer-reads-susanna-clarke-piranesi

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I read Daily Rituals: How Artists Work - 2 Stars - I had been looking forward to reading this book for quite some time. It’s been sitting on my shelf for goodness knows how long. I wanted to love it, but I couldn’t. It’s based on a blog, and I have come to believe that generally most blogs do not make for interesting books, at least not for me.

A few years ago, before vacationing in France, I read a ton of books that are set in France. One of these was Monet’s House. I love that book. Not only are the pictures just gorgeous, but the descriptions also. It’s chock-full of interesting tidbits about Monet’s daily life. Those are the parts that interested me the most and that I still remember and think of from time to time.

Unlike the Monet book, I never felt a connection to any of the artists, writers, and composers in this book. I felt that something was lacking. The entries were repetitive and not particularly entertaining or interesting. It all seemed quite superficial and I wanted him to dig deeper. A short biography on each would have been nice also, especially when I didn’t even know who some of the artists were in the first place.

What irritated me the most was the lack of organization and structure. It isn’t alphabetical; or even done in a proper layout with say artists in one section, writers in another, and so forth; or even chronological. It’s all over the place.

My takeaway was:

* Everyone is different. Some are larks and some are night-owls. Do what works for you.

* Take at least one long walk every day.

* Eat the same exact thing every day. Boring!

* Smoke as if it’s going out of style.

* Same applies to alcohol and other mind-altering drugs.

* And on and on.

It was an okay compilation, but I think that you’d be better served by visiting the blog.

9780307273604.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 8

Well I just spent quite awhile on @Kareni links.  Spotted a book called The Star and the Shamrock https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46039404-the-star-and-the-shamrock?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=NLLWFJ0iJ2&rank=1  which I think I would enjoy.  It’s currently free to Prime members which is a bonus.  Also discovered Mary Jo Putney has a fantasy novella as MJ Putney with Dragons,  I marked it in case I need it for my 10’s.    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53093931-the-dragon-and-the-dark-knight?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=KcZDHwAYfk&rank=1

I decided to start listening to Kim Harrison’s The Hollows series in hopes of figuring out where I left off.....I started a reread but was bored.  So am a few chapters into White Witch, Dark Curse .  Vaguely familiar but at this point enjoying it so will keep listening occasionally.  My Julia Spencer Fleming audiobooks finally arrived so am trying to get those done as I want to read her new book!

I started Lorraine Heath’s The Earl Takes a Fancy  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44557428-the-earl-takes-a-fancy?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=ilnMiNlCyW&rank=2 Which seems to be an enjoyable conclusion to her Trewlove series (a favorite series).  I also finished Unforgivable by Laura Griffin for my book chain challenge.  Her books seem to strike a perfect balance between romance and suspense for me so I have been slowly reading through (some are rereads) her Tracers series.......https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7841391-unforgivable

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

I finished reading the three I was reading--the Captain Lacey mystery, The Rivers of London book, and The Fellowship of the Ring-enjoyed them all. I will immediately pick up the next Lord of the Rings book. I am also reading The German Midwife for book club and when that's done, I'll probably read the next Captain Lacey book.

• Like 9

Almost done with Rudyard Kipling's Kim. I've never read it before, and am a little surprised that it's regarded as a children's book. The protagonist is a child in the first half of the book, and there's no inappropriate content (prostitution is delicately hinted at), so I can see how it could be; but it can be awfully confusing wherever the reader's knowledge of Indian religions, geography, and Victorian politics and military life falters. It seems a lot less accessible than The Jungle Books.

For my next non-obligatory read, Middle Girl randomly chose for me a collection of Théophile Gautier's short stories, My Fantoms. Gautier was a literary critic who made Baudelaire famous and hung out with various Symbolists and Decadents in Paris. Last year I read his biography of Baudelaire. So this should finish that 10x10 category.

Also dipping into a recent acquisition, Hymns Ancient and Modern, Complete Edition from 1906. Well-preserved and lovely; the kind of book that's a physical pleasure to hold and to read, with Victorian devotional poetry within. A treasure of English verse.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 8

Earlier this afternoon I finished The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold which I quite enjoyed. One of her friends gave this hardback book to my daughter on one of her visits from Korea, and it's been collecting dust here ever since. I'll have to see if the library has an e-copy of the follow on book. I can foresee rereading this book.

"A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril returns to the noble household he once served as page and is named secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is an assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions.

But it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark him as a tool of the miraculous . . . and trap him in a lethal maze of demonic paradox. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Almost done with Rudyard Kipling's Kim. I've never read it before, and am a little surprised that it's regarded as a children's book. The protagonist is a child in the first half of the book, and there's no inappropriate content (prostitution is delicately hinted at), so I can see how it could be; but it can be awfully confusing wherever the reader's knowledge of Indian religions, geography, and Victorian politics and military life falters. It seems a lot less accessible than The Jungle Books.

For my next non-obligatory read, Middle Girl randomly chose for me a collection of Théophile Gautier's short stories, My Fantoms. Gautier was a literary critic who made Baudelaire famous and hung out with various Symbolists and Decadents in Paris. Last year I read his biography of Baudelaire. So this should finish that 10x10 category.

Also dipping into a recent acquisition, Hymns Ancient and Modern, Complete Edition from 1906. Well-preserved and lovely; the kind of book that's a physical pleasure to hold and to read, with Victorian devotional poetry within. A treasure of English verse.

I believe this is what is known as the Red Hymnal at our village’s C of E.........so not to be confused with the Blue.  It is a wonderful book and I if my memory serves that is arranged by seasonal appropriateness.  I think many of the harvest hymns are in that hymnal.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

I believe this is what is known as the Red Hymnal at our village’s C of E.........so not to be confused with the Blue.  It is a wonderful book and I if my memory serves that is arranged by seasonal appropriateness.  I think many of the harvest hymns are in that hymnal.  

Could be -- I don't know my historical hymnals by color. 🙂  I gather the unrevised Complete Edition wasn't published for long after the turn of the century. My copy doesn't have music, which would have been out of my budget; besides I'm only really interested in the verses. 

I wish there were English hymns this good in my old battered St Gregory Hymnal; all our best hymns are in Latin. (But we don't mind thieving from Charles W.)

Do you have a favorite harvest hymn?

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Could be -- I don't know my historical hymnals by color. 🙂  I gather the unrevised Complete Edition wasn't published for long after the turn of the century. My copy doesn't have music, which would have been out of my budget; besides I'm only really interested in the verses. 

I wish there were English hymns this good in my old battered St Gregory Hymnal; all our best hymns are in Latin. (But we don't mind thieving from Charles W.)

Do you have a favorite harvest hymn?

Not sure about reading level and my copies are not here but Wee Girl might enjoy the Mr. Pipes books to go along with your hymn studies.  I remember them as well done fiction and giving copies as rather educational birthday gifts......considering I had to carry them to England to give them they were great gifts!  Used copies must be out there, first two were my favorites.

We Plough the Fields and Scatter is the one my family considers to be a classic.  https://www.godsongs.net/2019/08/all-good-gifts-around-us-we-plough-the-fields-and.html  The local church was one of the few that celebrated both Harvest and Plough so two different celebrations.  We actually had a ancient Plough that local farmers carry down the aisle.  Now Thank We All Our God  http://www.harvestfestivals.net/nowthankweallourgod.htm was also used which is a personal favorite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I get to go to the library today!  They are open by appointment, for 45 minutes, with masks.  They recommend a prepared list so you can get your books before you have to leave.  Mine is ready!!!

28. "The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West" by Norma Baldwin Ricketts. A little hard to read, since she choose to make it be like a great big master journal, rather than a narrative, but very detailed and informative.  She collected every journal and account she could find, and correlated the entries to create a day by day account of the march.

27. "Follow Me to Zion: Stories from the Willie Handcart Pioneers" by Andrew D. Olsen and Jolene S. Allphin (LDS). 

26. "Sweetwater Rescue: The Willie and Martin Handcart Story" by Heidi Swinton and Lee Groberg (LDS). 

25. "I walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail" by Susan Arrington Madsen (LDS).  

24. "The Journey of the James G. Willie Handcart Company, October, 1856" by Gary Duane Long. 

23. "The Heavens are Open" by Wendy W. Nelson (LDS).

22. "Born to Change the World" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

21. "I Saw the Lord" by Kerry Muhlestein (LDS).

20.  "The Mormon Battalion" by B.H. Roberts. (LDS)

19.  "Bright, Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Austism" by Diane M. Kennedy and Rebecca S. Banks with Temple Grandin. 

18.  "More Than Miracles" by T.C. Christensen with Jolene S. Allphin. (LDS)

17.  "The Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton.  

16.  "Lifestyles of the Great & Spacious" by John Bytheway.  (LDS)  

15.  "How to Think" by Alan Jacobs.  

14.  "The Road from Coorain" by Jill Ker Conway.  Entry three from the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge.

13.  "All Rivers Run to the Sea" by Elie Wiesel.  Entry two from the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge. 

12.  "The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction" by Alan Jacobs. 

11.  "Whatever You Choose to Be" by Ann Romney. 

10.  "Five Little Pigs" by Agatha Christie.  2nd entry in the Agatha Christie challenge. 

9.  "Rethinking School" by Susan Wise Bauer.

8.  "The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax" by Dorothy Gilman.

7.  "The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax" by Dorothy Gilman.

6.  "A Faithful Reply to the CES Letter" by Jim Bennett.

5.  "Bamboozled by the "CES Letter"" by Michael R. Ash.

4. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.  Entry one - the Well-Educated Mind autobiography list challenge.

3. "The Harlequin Tea Set" by Agatha Christie.   Entry one - Agatha Christie Challenge.

2. "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. 

1. "Unselfish: Love Thy Neighbor as Thy Selfie" compiled by Paul D. Parkinson.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Maus said:

I get to go to the library today!  They are open by appointment, for 45 minutes, with masks.  They recommend a prepared list so you can get your books before you have to leave.  Mine is ready!!!

Such happy news!  Let us know how it goes!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I like Kim a lot.  I think it is suitable for older children. Same stage that might be ready for Lightning thief, or so. 

21 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Let me know how you find that!

• Like 6

This sounds intriguing!

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

Kangaroo by D. H. Lawrence

"This novel of 1920s Australia by the author of Lady Chatterley’s Lover is “one of the sharpest fictional visions of the country and its people” (Gideon Haigh).

A few years after the close of World War I, English author Richard Lovat Somers and his German wife, Harriet, have fled the grim remains of Europe and ventured to Australia. But they soon discover the new world is an escape from neither the demands of politics nor the nightmarish memories of Richard’s service on the front lines.

In Sydney, Richard meets Benjamin Cooley, a charismatic lawyer known to all as Kangaroo. But Kangaroo is also the leader of an underground fascist organization. While Richard finds himself drawn to the man’s strength and certainty of purpose, he is simultaneously repelled by his embrace of dehumanizing violence.

In this semi-autobiographical novel, author D. H. Lawrence plumbs the depths of his own experience in the Great War while exploring in vivid detail the breathtaking landscape and social volatility of Australia."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

This afternoon I finished Paladin of Souls (Chalion Book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold which I enjoyed (but perhaps slightly less than the first book in the series).

"One of the most honored authors in the field of fantasy and science fiction, Lois McMaster Bujold transports us once more to a dark and troubled land and embroils us in a desperate struggle to preserve the endangered souls of a realm.

Three years have passed since the widowed Dowager Royina Ista found release from the curse of madness that kept her imprisoned in her family's castle of Valenda. Her newfound freedom is costly, bittersweet with memories, regrets, and guilty secrets -- for she knows the truth of what brought her land to the brink of destruction. And now the road -- escape -- beckons. . . . A simple pilgrimage, perhaps. Quite fitting for the Dowager Royina of all Chalion.

Yet something else is free, too -- something beyond deadly. To the north lies the vital border fortress of Porifors. Memories linger there as well, of wars and invasions and the mighty Golden General of Jokona. And someone, something, watches from across that border -- humans, demons, gods.

Ista thinks her little party of pilgrims wanders at will. But whose? When Ista's retinue is unexpectedly set upon not long into its travels, a mysterious ally appears -- a warrior nobleman who fights like a berserker. The temporary safety of her enigmatic champion's castle cannot ease Ista's mounting dread, however, when she finds his dark secrets are entangled with hers in a net of the gods' own weaving.

In her dreams the threads are already drawing her to unforeseen chances, fateful meetings, fearsome choices. What the inscrutable gods commanded of her in the past brought her land to the brink of devastation. Now, once again, they have chosen Ista as their instrument. And again, for good or for ill, she must comply. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Here is a link from the NYPL for thirty great historical mystery series.  The great thing about this list is it actually contains one of my favorite series which never makes lists probably because it is incomplete (the author died).  
https://www.nypl.org/blog/2020/04/24/historical-mystery-series  I plan to try and hunt down some of the series that I am unfamiliar with.  The ones listed that I have read are all pretty good.

My “favorite” series that never makes lists is by Kate Ross and features Julian Kestrel. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/351385.Cut_to_the_Quick?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=6A0iw5NzDv&rank=1  

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@mumto2  Have you ever read the historical mysteries written by Sharon Kay Penman? The series of 4 books, all set in the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine, has all the great period detail as her other books, plus great characters and a mystery, and starts with The Queen's Man.  It's been 20 years or more since I read the first 2, but I really loved them. Just discovered on Goodreads just now that there are 2 more, but I'm almost afraid to revisit the series as my reading tastes have changed so much. 

@Kareni I read the first Chalion book last year, but never got to the rest of the series. The Vorkosigan series, also by Lois McMaster Bujold, has been just the right comfort read the last few weeks.

I'm another who loved Kim, but never thought of it as a children's book. High school, yes, which is when I assigned it. I remember feeling the book is infused with Kipling's love of India, his longing for that home he had known.

• Like 8

Comfort reads with armchair travel might describe my recent reads.

I stumbled upon what looks to be a gem of a gentle, cozy-ish mystery series. Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano features a German woman of Italian descent, a widow with a decided crush on policemen in uniform, who decides to retire in Sicily when she turns 60. It is filled with descriptions of food and of Sicily, and is filled with quirky characters. Most importantly it is making me smile and laugh. The 2 and 3 star reviews on Goodreads are no doubt by the young and boringly ironic or cynical who can't appreciate light whimsy done well. It must have been written in German as the author, who lives in Cologne, is a German of Italian descent with a decidedly Italian name. 

Also delightful was another in the Vorkosigan space opera series, this time about a geneticist from an all male planet in search of ovarian culture to continue growing boy babies! I kid you not! The scientist in Ethan of Athos has never seen a woman, the religion on his planet teaches that women are evil abominations, so naturally his misadventures off planet pairs him up with a feisty woman. Best of all, there is not a predictable budding love interest with the woman -- at the end of the book he returns home to his all male planet with a new boyfriend. I say best of all because I'm always happy when an author does not twist the plot in predictable ways.

Kitchens of the Great Midwest was a title I picked up at the library used book sale back in early February before I knew I needed a tall stack of books to read. It is a novel with recipes, following the life of a woman from birth through her 20s. A pleasant diversion -- a solid ok as my son would say. 

The least delightful last week was Hard Rain, a thriller translated from Afrikaans that is set in Tanzania. It wasn't bad, just sort of o.k, though I really wanted to like it as the female author, Irma Venter, says in the blurb that she likes creating strong women characters. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

@Kareni I read the first Chalion book last year, but never got to the rest of the series. The Vorkosigan series, also by Lois McMaster Bujold, has been just the right comfort read the last few weeks.

And I read the first Vorkosigan book last year. Your recent pleasure in the series has had me thinking that I should return to it. I collected a few books in the series prior to the shutdown; I know that I have the second book on hand....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!! 

Thank you my dears for all the links. I've been following myriad rabbit trails and adding books to my wish list.  

10 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Here is a link from the NYPL for thirty great historical mystery series.  The great thing about this list is it actually contains one of my favorite series which never makes lists probably because it is incomplete (the author died).  
https://www.nypl.org/blog/2020/04/24/historical-mystery-series

I bookmarked this one so I can keep dipping back into it. So many interesting books to research. 

I have the same problem with Kim Harrison's book.  I have the first five books in the series. Bought them in a 'oh gotta have em' moment.  But when I start to read,  lose interest really fast.  Maybe timing, maybe not. Haven't figured it out. Need to give them another go. Third times the charm, right? 

James has talked me into reading Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker. Enjoying it so far since having seen  the movie, it's providing plenty of emotional context and characters thoughts, plus the stuff that was left out of the movie that may have explained a thing or too. 

Happy to say the pressure is off monetarily with the business. Our ppp loan finally came through which makes our employees happy knowing that no matter what they'll get full pay for the next 8 weeks. Plus the SBA surprised us. They will be paying all current sba mortgage loans for the next 6 months. 😲😁  Nearly fell off my chair in amazement. Very grateful! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 12

33 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!! 

Thank you my dears for all the links. I've been following myriad rabbit trails and adding books to my wish list.  

I bookmarked this one so I can keep dipping back into it. So many interesting books to research. 

I have the same problem with Kim Harrison's book.  I have the first five books in the series. Bought them in a 'oh gotta have em' moment.  But when I start to read,  lose interest really fast.  Maybe timing, maybe not. Haven't figured it out. Need to give them another go. Third times the charm, right? 

James has talked me into reading Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker. Enjoying it so far since having seen  the movie, it's providing plenty of emotional context and characters thoughts, plus the stuff that was left out of the movie that may have explained a thing or too. 

Happy to say the pressure is off monetarily with the business. Our ppp loan finally came through which makes our employees happy knowing that no matter what they'll get full pay for the next 8 weeks. Plus the SBA surprised us. They will be paying all current sba mortgage loans for the next 6 months. 😲😁  Nearly fell off my chair in amazement. Very grateful! 

Yeah! So glad to hear you received the PPP and the loan.  That is wonderful to hear.

My Dd was a Cinco de Mayo baby so today has been sort of busy!  As far as birthday activities it hasn’t been thrilling......we went for a drive!🙃 and she was thrilled......anything away from our neighborhood is fun.  I made a nice meal and yes we had salsa and chips today!

I finished the first in a new to me paranormal romance series   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37557926-soul-of-the-witch  by Deanna Chase.  I enjoyed it but have to say it was more of a romance where the characters were witches, sort of a Bewitched in book form.😉  I probably will read them all......

@JennW in SoCal I haven’t read the Sharon Kay Penman series but think I own one or two of them.  My Overdrive also has a couple.  I will get to them eventually as they do look good.   The ones on Overdrive are 3 and 4 in the series and I think I own the first so I might wait to be in order.  

I actually really want try the Vorkosagen books ...hoping to get to those soon.  I need to sew more so I listen to my audiobooks!

• Like 7

Yes Robin -- that is really wonderful news that the financial pressure is off for your business. But, aren't you  (couldn't you be considered) essential? I took my laptop to a computer repair place last week, and it was really nicely set up with a line out side marked with tape, and the way they disinfected everything when it was your turn at the door. It was safe, they were friendly and happily my fix was super easy.

• Like 7

The Adventures of Martin Hewitt by Arthur Morrison

"England’s greatest crime-solver uses his superior intellect and genial charm to unmask thieves, murderers, and dangerous fanatics.

Esteemed journalist Mr. Brett rightly believes that his dear friend Martin Hewitt is the most insightful investigator of crimes in all of England. Who else could have so quickly connected a partial sheet of music—wrapped around a rock and tossed through a sitting room window—with an infamous decades-old robbery? Would anyone else have taken seriously the fears of an eccentric old woman who swore thieves were after her most prized possession: a snuffbox fashioned from the actual wood of Noah’s Ark?

The Adventures of Martin Hewitt chronicles the inimitable detective’s most fascinating cases, each of them solved by his uncanny ability to see past the obvious to the real mysteries that lie beneath."

ETA: fixed the link, I hope!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Kareni said:

The Adventures of Martin Hewitt Kindle Edition by Arthur Morrison

Regards,

Kareni

The link isn’t working for me.

I started the next Elemental Assassin book this morning after rejecting several books last night.  Hopefully going to put something together with another pile of fabric scraps today.  If nothing else I have time to use all my saved leftovers from past projects.  I might even finish an audiobook! 

• Like 4

Hi everyone! I managed to finish a book a few days ago - Five Windows by D.E. Stevenson. Nice, gentle coming of age story about a young man who grows up in a small village in Scotland then moves to London. 

I have a couple books from the library and even bought a book a couple weeks ago - I've been really trying to not buy any more. The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule is the book and I've checked it out from the library a couple of times but never manage to finish it. I read about 50 pages or so then have to put it aside as all the serial killer stuff gets me down but it is also so fascinating.

@Negin I listened to Steve Martin's book on audio and it was so good! Hope you enjoy the read. 

@Kareni Thank you for the Susanna Clark link - it made me remember how much I enjoy her writing. I broke my No Buy rule again just now and bought a used copy of The Ladies of Grace Adeiu. (It was only $5 incl shipping!)

@Robin M Love your May 4th pic! 😂 My daughters and I watched "Revenge of the Sith" on the 4th. I normally enjoy Star Wars movies but this one was pretty bad. That's great news about your loan - what a relief! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I enjoyed and finished Linesman and do want read the sequels, I look forward to the library getting back in action. It was my first sci-fi since Nora Roberts’ Year One, which I read as the CV19 was first on the move - too close for comfort this year! Anyway, I am grateful that no alien virus showed up in Linesman! (Not in the first book, anyway!)

I'm glad you enjoyed Linesman. I'm happy to inform you that there is no alien virus in the second and third books either!

I read your thoughts on Lab Girl with interest having read the book last month. I cannot argue with anything you say as the book was indeed a mix of many things...science, memoir, Bill; however, that may also speak to its popularity as it offers something (if only twenty percent of the whole) for many readers. I would not be averse to reading another of her books.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

Kareni Thank you for the Susanna Clark link - it made me remember how much I enjoy her writing. I broke my No Buy rule again just now and bought a used copy of The Ladies of Grace Adeiu. (It was only $5 incl shipping!)

I am always happy to enable book purchases! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the story collection.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

17 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Yes Robin -- that is really wonderful news that the financial pressure is off for your business. But, aren't you  (couldn't you be considered) essential? I took my laptop to a computer repair place last week, and it was really nicely set up with a line out side marked with tape, and the way they disinfected everything when it was your turn at the door. It was safe, they were friendly and happily my fix was super easy.

Thank you! Yes, we are considered essential since we do a lot of repairs for professional musicians as well and have been open the whole time.  Cleaning like mad before / after customers and set up for contactless drop off/pick ups as well.  We took a big hit as business dropped by 50% when everyone began sheltering in place.   The one benefit with the drop in incoming units, at least we've had extra time to get upstairs organized.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Thank you! Yes, we are considered essential since we do a lot of repairs for professional musicians as well and have been open the whole time.  Cleaning like mad before / after customers and set up for contactless drop off/pick ups as well.  We took a big hit as business dropped by 50% when everyone began sheltering in place.   The one benefit with the drop in incoming units, at least we've had extra time to get upstairs organized.  

And every single professional musician is out of work at the moment, unless they are teaching via Zoom. I was purposefully down to only 3 students this year, none of whom want to do video lessons, and of course all my spring gigs were cancelled. Fortunately for us, we are not dependent on my meager income as a musician!

• Like 5

I just searched on my Kindle, and I have previously bought the Welsh Princes Trilogy, Prince of Darkness, and The Sunne in Splendour.    I had a vague memory of buying some books I couldn’t get at the library several years ago.

Exciting!  I have been casting about for a book but without spending money or going to the library, and the online (Kindle) borrowing is limited at our small library system.  Yay!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

I just searched on my Kindle

Do you store your books actually on the Kindle? I had to delete everything non-essential to fit the library audio version of the Count of Monte Cristo (and I'm still getting low storage warnings), so I'm having trouble imagining storing much on the device. Perhaps purchased books can be kept on the sd card? Maybe audio books are just space hogs? My Kindle is a bit old, so perhaps it just doesn't have as much memory as a newer one would.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, Maus said:

It was weird! and lovely!

Our library has two wings connected by a bridge, and three stories in each wing.  So six departments.  I had books I wanted from five of those, plus the "books on hold" area.  (The only section I didn't visit was Media.)  So the list I got ready was all color coordinated and everything, so I could get everything I needed from each department all at once.  I took a wheeled sample case so I could just tuck everything in as I went.  I got every book I wanted and walked out with a minute to spare, but there was no time to browse.  So that was new for me.  I get some of the best books that way, but no time for that.  I did grab one book on dinosaurs that wasn't on my list, and it's a big hit with DD10.

Also, usually when I bring a list, I open each book when I find it and skim a page or two to see if I really want it.  This time, I just grabbed it and tucked it in the case, so I don't really know if I want everything I brought home.  

I was very efficient, but didn't really get my usual "I love books" fix, but we did get all restocked.  

There were only a few people, and they all had masks.  The library is quarantining returns for three days, following the CDC guideline, so they had a librarian outside the library door, checking to make sure you really had an appointment, and carts for the returns, which were whisked away as soon as they were full.

• Like 7

I am too embarrassed to even show up - I have read NOT A SINGLE PAGE in weeks! Yep, that's all I have to say.

Oh and if anyone would like a copy of Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden - I'll be happy to send it to you. That's what happens when you order books and don't open boxes and then go to library sales not knowing what you already own.

• Like 9

SusanC — separately I think it’s an option to “remove” books and then have them still be on my Kindle account if I go on Amazon.com and look at my “Kindle Library.”  I have them but they aren’t downloaded on my Kindle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SusanC — I just went to my Kindle library from the Amazon app:  account, account settings, manage content and devices.  I can do that from a phone or computer.  

When I had an older Kindle I think I basically had to go onto the computer to manage the books.  The books just show up on the Kindle library for my account.

It has changed at some point because it used to be easier to find and I think it said Kindle library.  I always have to click a few things to try to find it now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SusanC — I looked just now, and right now (I think this has changed) I only have an option “remove from device” on my Kindle.  Then they would still be in my library.

Then from my phone — I have an option to delete books from my account (from on the amazon website or app).

If you removed books the books might be in your library.  

• Like 4

I have a Kindle Voyage (which they don't make anymore 😞 ) but I only have books on it, not audio books (Kindles in Canada can't do audiobooks - it's very frustrating).  With over 300 books, I'm still at only 1.3 GB of storage used (with 1.74 GB free).  Audio books must take up much more space. 🙂

• Like 4