Menu

Home decorating sites/blogs for ideas?

Lady Florida.

We're less than 10 days away from closing on our new house. While we're bringing some of our stuff, we also plan to replace quite a few things and update some of our furniture. I'll also need all new window treatments because none of my windows here are the same size as in the new house. I thought of buying a few decorating magazines but often they have only one or two ideas I like and I feel like I'm paying for a magazine full of ideas I can't use.

Do you know of any good idea sites or blogs that give decorating advice and ideas? DIY is good too. We don't have cable so watching HGTV type shows isn't an option unless one is streaming on Amazon, Hulu. or Netflix. Besides, I'd prefer something with pictures and written tips. I don't have a natural eye for decorating so I need help. 🙂 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I hope you get a ton of responses. We might be getting a new home. One opened up next to my parents after the owner died and the family is motivated to sell. If this happens, I want to change all our present decor except for the master bedroom/bath and my sewing room. Everything else will be a clean slate and I have no ideas on how to go forward with that so I'll be watching this thread with eagle eyes.

• Like 3

I have enjoyed browsing houzz.com You can use the website or download the app and save favorite looks, kind of like like Pinterest. There are also message boards where people request help with specific challenges. It’s nice to see the decorator pictures where everything is just perfect, but it’s also nice to see regular living rooms with an awkward fireplace (or whatever) and see the suggestions from other regular people! 

I haven’t been on it in about 3 years, so I’m not sure if it’s still the same, but last time we were looking at buying a home, I was obsessed! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I hope you get a ton of responses. We might be getting a new home. One opened up next to my parents after the owner died and the family is motivated to sell. If this happens, I want to change all our present decor except for the master bedroom/bath and my sewing room. Everything else will be a clean slate and I have no ideas on how to go forward with that so I'll be watching this thread with eagle eyes.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Yes, it's exciting to start new. We've been in this house 20 years (we closed in mid-April 2000 so almost exactly 20 years). While I've updated some things - new couch at one point, new bedding, others kind of got lost in late 90s early 2000s decor. I'm looking forward to new stuff and new, up to date decor.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Pinterest was very helpful to me when we were remodeling.

12 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Pinterest is my go-to

Thanks. I always forget to go to Pinterest for ideas. I use it in place of bookmarks and most of my boards are recipes, books, or crochet. I pin things but rarely go look at other people's boards. I'll start there. 

• Like 2

I don't have a natural eye for decorating so I need help.

Ugh, I am right there with you. Hopeless case here.

Pinterest scares me so I don't go on it. lol

Houzz was fantastic for me. I could zero in on just the rooms and color schemes I wanted and see the "full picture". That site is what gave me the courage to paint my bedroom in white and Forest Black stripes (with one solid black wall). Oh my...I would never have done something like that on my own but I just love it! I wish I had a decorating eye. My poor house is truly a "mutt" of colors and styles. People come in and look around quizzically, not really understanding if we're remodeling (no), renovating (no), or ???

• Like 4

Another idea is to try going to different websites like https://www.crateandbarrel.com/ https://www.ballarddesigns.com/  https://www.potterybarn.com/

You can request the catalogs and/or browse online see if there are any pieces you like and look at the way they put pieces together.You can of course buy from them or look at cheaper places like home goods for copy cat pieces.Target has good rugs as does World market.There are Wayfair and Overstock -I don't like overstock they send damaged goods and will not take the piece back.I don't watch any Hgtv shows and I don't fall into the trend trap as its hard to keep up. I buy pieces that last a long time and also that work well for our lifestyle and mostly don't really match everything to the T. For window coverings are you looking a curtains? longer length curtains are hard to find,but try west elm/JC penney.I have used Houzz app esp for wall colors. and storage ideas! One thing i have found is that I like Neutral walls-its so much easier to change up the decor.People say its easy to paint-not my house with open concept and 12-14 ft walls .For blogs I follow www.decor8blog.com, https://www.younghouselove.com/  https://www.thriftydecorchick.com/  There are a ton of blogs and websites these are some I have followed for a very long time.Hope this helps -Congrats on your new home! 

Edited by mominco
fixed typos
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, mominco said:

Another idea is to try going to different websites like https://www.crateandbarrel.com/ https://www.ballarddesigns.com/  https://www.potterybarn.com/

You can request the catalogs and/or browse online see if there are any pieces you like and look at the way they put pieces together.You can of course buy from them or look at cheaper places like home goods for copy cat pieces.Target has good rugs as does World market.There are Wayfair and Overstock -I don't like overstock they send damaged goods and will not take the piece back.I don't watch any Hgtv shows and I don't fall into the trend trap as its hard to keep up. I buy pieces that last a long time and also that work well for our lifestyle and mostly don't really match everything to the T. For window coverings are you looking a curtains? longer length curtains are hard to find,but try west elm/JC penney.I have used Houzz app esp for wall colors. and storage ideas! One thing i have found is that I like Neutral walls-its so much easier to change up the decor.People say its easy to paint-not my house with open concept and 12-14 ft walls .For blogs I follow www.decor8blog.com, https://www.younghouselove.com/  https://www.thriftydecorchick.com/  There are a ton of blogs and websites these are some I have followed for a very long time.Hope this helps -Congrats on your new home! 

Thanks you. It's not that I don't know where to buy, but that I don't actually know what I want. We'll have one 3-door sliding glass door from the great room to the screen porch, so we have to decide if we want vertical blinds or some of the newer style decorative shades that open sideways. The other windows will probably get curtains with possibly shades or blinds underneath to block the sun in the summer months. We want a new couch, a recliner, some decorative pieces, and maybe some inexpensive wall art. Our kitchen table just won't work in the small dining room/great room area of the new house but we can use it until we find one we like. (it will fit but it just won't look that good). Before Covid-19 I would often go to the models over and over whenever I was in the area to just look and think, but once things shut down you had to make an appointment to view them so I had to stop going. My problem is "seeing" the rooms decorated so even though I know where to buy I have to first figure out what to buy. Most things can wait while I browse these sites. Windows are going to be my priority, at least two of the bedrooms (master br and ds' br) plus the sliding glass door and the two other windows in the common area. We'll be closer to our neighbors than we are at this house so window treatments are at the top of my list. I'm so not good at picturing the final product. I'd just put up mini blinds and call it good because hey, no one can see in now, but I don't want to do that. I want it to look nice.

I'm thinking I'll look into getting a professional for the windows, or at least get some idea of what that would cost. Maybe not someone to actually do the windows but one of those design folks who come in and design for you. Everything else can be done slowly after I've spent more time browsing. ideas.

• Like 1

I’d get some cheap privacy shades to cover the windows until you make a decision about the rest of the room. I wouldn’t sink money into window treatments without knowing how the room will look. 

I have a tough time decorating because I just don’t get how it will look/feel until it’s done. I’m just a whole-to-part person so decorating is hard. I do best pulling color combinations from fabrics I like and finding photos of complete rooms that I can roughly copy. I like Pinterest because I’m very visual. It’s easy for me to find things with a photo index.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d get some cheap privacy shades to cover the windows until you make a decision about the rest of the room. I wouldn’t sink money into window treatments without knowing how the room will look. 

I was thinking we might have to get some temporary paper shades for the bedrooms but there's no way to temporarily cover the sliding glass door short of several king size sheets. 🙂 

Edited by Lady Florida.

15 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Most things can wait while I browse these sites. Windows are going to be my priority, at least two of the bedrooms (master br and ds' br) plus the sliding glass door and the two other windows in the common area. We'll be closer to our neighbors than we are at this house so window treatments are at the top of my list. I'm so not good at picturing the final product. I'd just put up mini blinds and call it good because hey, no one can see in now, but I don't want to do that. I want it to look nice.

I'm thinking I'll look into getting a professional for the windows, or at least get some idea of what that would cost. Maybe not someone to actually do the windows but one of those design folks who come in and design for you. Everything else can be done slowly after I've spent more time browsing. ideas.

Would you consider hiring a design service like this https://www.stellarinteriordesign.com/design/  I think they do have even a paint consultation.I know my friends family used them.Oh I suggested the stores only as a place to piece together a look.I know Ethan Allen has a design consultation so maybe they took it online now worth checking.I hear you on the windows we had to hire window company to do the blinds before we moved-in price wise it worked out well because the person was referred by our realtor and she got the windows done in 3 days.GL