Menu

armed protesters at protest Michigan

wathe

so, yesterday, this happened here in Ohio.  For those who don't know, Dr. Amy Acton is the head of the Dept. of Health. 

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/05/small-group-protests-ohio-coronavirus-restrictions-outside-health-department-director-dr-amy-actons-house.html

If this Twitter feed is to be believed (I don't know if it is or not)  there were also threats made 

I just can't get over that they did this outside her house. I would feel so unsafe if I was her!  

ETA: There have also been anti-Semitic signs held by people outside the statehouse and Dr. Acton is Jewish. The governor has condemned it. But . . . wouldn't you feel unsafe if you were her?  

Edited by cintinative
  • Sad 15

15 minutes ago, cintinative said:

so, yesterday, this happened here in Ohio.  For those who don't know, Dr. Amy Acton is the head of the Dept. of Health. 

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/05/small-group-protests-ohio-coronavirus-restrictions-outside-health-department-director-dr-amy-actons-house.html

If this Twitter feed is to be believed (I don't know if it is or not)  there were also threats made 

I just can't get over that they did this outside her house. I would feel so unsafe if I was her!  

ETA: There have also been anti-Semitic signs held by people outside the statehouse and Dr. Acton is Jewish. The governor has condemned it. But . . . wouldn't you feel unsafe if you were her?  

Very.

You know that old saying, if someone tells you/shows you who they are, believe them?

Yeah, if someone is in front of your house with weapons saying angry things, believe them. 

I hope she at least gets some kind of protective detail now?

• Like 9

Residential picketing is generally legal *if* the protestors keep moving (i.e. don't just stand still outside her house). And of course they have to remain on public property--the sidewalk or street. 

I think if there are people carrying weapons, the police should provide security for the doctor.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Residential picketing is generally legal *if* the protestors keep moving (i.e. don't just stand still outside her house). And of course they have to remain on public property--the sidewalk or street. 

I think if there are people carrying weapons, the police should provide security for the doctor.

Apparently there were two police cruisers nearby watching it, so that is good. As far as I know, they stayed on the sidewalk and street.  Even if residential picketing is allowed, though, I would feel unsafe in her shoes.  =(  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

I'm curious, just totally curious, would you feel the same way if this were a *man* they were picketing? Or is it about her gender? 

I agree with @MercyA that the protests need to follow the law. But there's no way you can have that kind of position and NOT expect pushback in a variety of ways, meaning gender shouldn't matter here. 

Furthermore, the legislature is now trying to push back, which is of course the BEST way for this to happen. https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200502/frustrated-ohio-legislator-wants-to-curb-actonrsquos-power-in-coronavirus-pandemic  

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I'm curious, just totally curious, would you feel the same way if this were a *man* they were picketing? Or is it about her gender? 

I agree with @MercyA that the protests need to follow the law. But there's no way you can have that kind of position and NOT expect pushback in a variety of ways, meaning gender shouldn't matter here. 

Furthermore, the legislature is now trying to push back, which is of course the BEST way for this to happen. https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200502/frustrated-ohio-legislator-wants-to-curb-actonrsquos-power-in-coronavirus-pandemic  

Absolutely I'd feel the same. Last I checked, bullets are not less effective on men? 

And I don't know that people take up the position of a public health director expecting to end up in the middle of a power struggle during a pandemic. 

As for pushback, yes, that should be done via the legistlature. Not threats and intimidation. 

• Like 8

Also in Michigan... not at the protest, but showing the same level of stupidity and violence in response to rules they don't like: a security guard was shot and killed after an argument about wearing a mask in Dollar General. To everyone claiming that angry people with guns aren't inherently threatening... bullshit. You never know whether the asshole with a gun who's screaming at you is just "showing off" or is going to snap and kill you. These people are unhinged. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 9

It’s interesting that protesters are targeting Gov Whitmer in MI, but Dr. Amy Acton in Ohio. Gov DeWine has faced some, but Dr. Acton has taken, by far, the brunt to the point that armed protesters are in front of her house. 

I know there is plenty more going on here besides sexism, but you can’t convince me it isn’t playing a part. Is it particularly enraging for some who don’t want anyone to be the boss of them to have a woman be the boss of them?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, Corraleno said:

Also in Michigan... not at the protest, but showing the same level of stupidity and violence in response to rules they don't like: a security guard was shot and killed after an argument about wearing a mask in Dollar General. To everyone claiming that angry people with guns aren't inherently threatening... bullshit. You never know whether the asshole with a gun who's screaming at you is just "showing off" or is going to snap and kill you. These people are unhinged. 

Based on history, this is unfortunately not surprising, and is likely to get worse, especially with the upcoming election in the fall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/opinion/coronavirus-trump-authoritarianism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Someone set fire to a couple of bins outside the Australian medical association office building here In my state a couple Of days ago and it travelled to the air con duct and did significant damage.  At this stage it’s most likely just random (setting bins alight isn’t that unusual) but there’s investigation to check there’s no other motivation.

• Sad 2