Menu

US History 2nd Year Resources?

Hi there!

My son was homeschooled K-6th, and attended private schools 7-9th.  He will be back home with me for 10-12th, and we will use mostly outside classes.

This 9th grade year, he took BJU's American History, but just up to the Civil War.  That school planned to do history over a 2 year period.  He enjoys US History, and would like to take the 2nd half during his 10th grade year at home.

I can't seem to find the right curriculum fit for this circumstance.  I know that Memoria Press splits US Hx into two years, but he's going to do a lot of MP classes next year, and I wanted to give him a bit of a change of pace from that style.

This is what I need: tests and quizzes that I don't have to create (he is MUCH more engaged when grades are involved), an easy plan for me to implement, and preferably something engaging.

Any ideas on what we could use?

I have all four years of TOG, but I know how much planning that is (used it for 5+ years), and I"m not sure exactly how to pull JUST the American history out of the rhetoric stage.

Thanks!

Lauren

There is a textbook by Holt.  The Americans,  a blue book.  The red one has all US history,  but the blue one is reconstruction to present.  I dont think you can get premade tests, but I did buy the teachers textbook which answers the questions from the book.  I used those and written assignments rather than tests.  

https://www.amazon.com/Americans-Student-Reconstruction-21st-Century/dp/0547491174/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=holt+the+americans&qid=1588348341&sr=8-16

And this one has online teacher resources 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/044555/American-History-Reconstruction-to-the-Present-Homeschool-Package.html?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

There is a textbook by Holt.  The Americans,  a blue book.  The red one has all US history,  but the blue one is reconstruction to present.  I dont think you can get premade tests, but I did buy the teachers textbook which answers the questions from the book.  I used those and written assignments rather than tests.  

https://www.amazon.com/Americans-Student-Reconstruction-21st-Century/dp/0547491174/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=holt+the+americans&qid=1588348341&sr=8-16

And this one has online teacher resources 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/044555/American-History-Reconstruction-to-the-Present-Homeschool-Package.html?

A pdf of the student book is available here (a public school district site that has put its books online). 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for these responses!  I must have my notifications turned off, because I just assumed no one had answered. 🙂

I'll browse through your suggestions - thank you!

@cintinative I do have TOG for all 4 years, so I could do that.  I'm not sure how credits work with Tapestry, since I've only done it through the Logic stage.  If I can't find a book/resource, I'm going to research this.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, Juliegmom said:

Have you looked at William Bennett's, America: The Last Best Hope, Volume II?  It once had an option for online companion materials for students and teachers, called the Roadmap, but I'm not sure if that part is still available. 

What a tragedy that the Roadmap portion of this is not still available!  If it were, this would be the perfect solution, I think.

I purchased Notgrass for him and we will just do the second half, I think.  I'll have to supplement big time to make it a credit, and that will take some time researching since this is my first year homeschooling him in high school.  

The reviews of these books were excellent on Amazon.  He is a voracious reader, so I may just purchase them for him to read during down time.  I really appreciate this suggestion.

• Like 1