Menu

Store reports: end of April/beginning of May

prairiewindmomma

New England here and I found Lysol Disinfecting wipes at Walmart yesterday. Haven’t seen those in about three months here. 
Aldi was not well stocked at all. Low on bread, produce, cheese, next to no fresh meat, frozen vegetables. That’s the lowest I’ve seen it. They did have TP and PT though. 
Walmart across the street was very well stocked. They had TP, vitamin C (something else I haven’t been able to find in weeks), the Lysol wipes, plenty of cheese and frozen vegetables, a little flour, some fresh meat, not full cases but some. And that was at 4:00 in the afternoon. Mostly I was excited about the Lysol. We’ve had plenty of bleach available here for weeks but I hate using it. I don’t use Lysol much but I was happy to be able to pick up a package. 

DH went to both Whole Foods and Food Lion (central NC) today.

Frozen fruits and vegetables low, rice and pasta products low, canned beans low (out of the two kinds on our list for this week). Good fresh fruit selection, and sufficient vegetables.  He was able to get a whole chicken. To his disappointment, both stores had a lot of customers compared to last weekend, and we think some of it is people just wanting to get out on a nice day. WF is giving people masks if they don't have one; FL is not requiring them. WF's floral section was doing brisk business for the holiday.

I did my grocery run at Winco on Thursday afternoon. I wanted to go around 12:00 or 1:00, but kept getting meetings added to my work schedule, so I couldn't go until after 3:00. And it was way too crowded. I'm going to go back to the 8:00 in the morning routine. I was curious to see what the meat selection would be--the cases were fully stocked. All I needed was some breakfast sausage, but I could have gotten anything we usually eat. They did have signs posted to remind you that your friends and neighbors need to shop too, so be mindful of quantities purchased, but no actual limit.

Still no ammonia. I think I need to research other grease cutters. There were gaps in the flour supply, but I was able to get a 5lb bag of Bob's Red Mill unbleached All Purpose flour for a good price. I decided not to buy a huge bag--we don't use it fast enough and I will just trust that I can keep finding smaller bags regularly enough. I bought a big 5 gallon bucket, and instead of filling it with 1 thing I have two 5 lb bags of flour and 2 small bags of sugar in there--all still packaged.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Still no ammonia. I think I need to research other grease cutters. 

Dollar Stores. Dollar Tree or whatever dollar stores in your area. That’s where we get off brand Ammonia for lab because we didn’t want to pay so much for branded. There was a line of people going into Dollar Tree yesterday so we didn’t go in to look. 

This weekend we did a grocery run. Safeway, Costco, HMart (Korean), 99Ranch (Chinese) were all well stocked. There was no line into Costco today when we went in after lunch to buy plants and milk, and there was still toilet paper and paper towels left. We ended up buying our plants from Lowe’s because the Costco ones weren’t fruiting yet and we were looking for more matured dwarf plants for our patio.

Safeway now carries two brands of hand sanitizers. The other brand came in the typical small size sanitizer bottle.

• Like 1

Costco Friday (SE Michigan) had limits on meat.  My husband came home with hamburger, but there was no stew beef or pork tenderloin.  I didn’t have chicken on the list, but the previous week they were out of hamburger, stew beef, pork tenderloin, and all fresh chicken.  I made meatballs today to put in the freezer.  Nice thing was Costco was 3.99/pound while the market where I have been shopping has gone up to 7.50/lb.  I didn’t buy any.

walmart - no yeast, no instant brown rice, and no frosted animal crackers.  Flour and sugar seem to come and go.

Anyone know where to get emergencee?  I bought a 70 pack at Costco in late February and I haven’t found it since.  I would have bought two, but I had never tried it and didn’t know if I liked it.

20 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Anyone know where to get emergencee?  I bought a 70 pack at Costco in late February and I haven’t found it since.  I would have bought two, but I had never tried it and didn’t know if I liked it.

Sprouts supermarket has EmergenC in store here. Unfortunately no Sprouts in Michigan. Walgreens has stock. 

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/emergen-c-daily-immune-support-drink-with-1000-mg-vitamin-c,-antioxidants,-&-b-vitamins-super-orange/ID=300397159-product

Costco 5/11: 

No: bleach, hand soap, gloves, rubbing alcohol, raw chicken, taco seasoning (about half of the spices were gone, actually—anything with cumin in a blend, other imported ones), frozen chicken, yeast, vanilla beans

low: canned sodas, snacks (offerings were fewer), fish oil and some other typically imported vitamins and generic meds, Kleenex, laptops, printing ink, some toiletries, premium frozen meats like fish, organic fresh beef

back in stock from last visit: baking soda, butter, beef (fresh and frozen), vitamin C tablets, flour

Some items were not typical offerings. They had pasta—but in two ten lb packages sold together as a case. Other offerings seemed to be commercial/restaurant packaging as well. They had sausage—but it was the pizza sausage from the cafe.

The refrigerator cases for produce was consolidated, almost to a post-hurricane level. The bakery had been broken down so that about 1/3 of the usual offerings were out. The long meat cases were filled with babybel cheeses because they had no meat.

I am a bit worried that on the whole we have fewer things available than we did a month ago. I heard several other customers expressing either frustration or saying things like, “It is what it is.”