Menu

Store reports: end of April/beginning of May

prairiewindmomma

West coast here......we had several weeks of rationing, a couple of weeks mostly without, and rationing is becoming more restrictive again.

Costco today: 2/3 of the meat cases were empty. Some items, like chicken breasts (fresh or frozen), were wholly unavailable.  Meat rationing is back in place, but with more reasonable limits than we had in March, when it was limit 1. One can purchase 3 fresh items, and 3 frozen items. Dh was able to get ground beef and one package of chicken tenders from what was available in the cases. He says there was some pork available, but we don't really eat pork.  Prices have crept up slightly, but nothing compared to the huge hikes we've seen in other local groceries.   Rice limits have remained in place, but dh purchased jasmine rice today! We hadn't seen jasmine rice since the end of February.  Calrose rice was also in stock today.  Our Costco requires masks, but people were not observing social distancing well at all.  We still have a limit of admittance of two people per shopping trip---bumping down to 1 wouldn't affect our household, but I know it would others. I'm grateful that hasn't happened yet for them.

• Like 2

Scotland yesterday, 4.15pm. Everything available except flour of all kinds. No limits on purchases. 30 per cent of customers wearing masks. Good social distancing. Short queue to enter shop. Everyone courteous.

ETA: not all formats of all products were available - there were (only) about five kinds of dried pasta, for example.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

NW AR today - The only shortages I noticed were in the baking and frozen foods aisles.  Still no yeast, only store brand baking soda and that only in one size, and no whole wheat flour. There were several brands of all purpose flour and for the first time in weeks bread flour was available.  Some frozen vegetables are available, others still missing.  There weren't many frozen hamburgers but nice weather could be a factor there.   The fresh meat cases appeared full but I didn't need fresh meat so didn't look closely.

My store instituted one-way aisles this week.  It was a bit disconcerting to go down some aisles the opposite direction than I normally would.  I also had to go down aisles I usually skip to get to desired aisles.   One-way and do not enter signs were on the floor.  Several shoppers either didn't notice them or didn't care.  There were few people shopping so even with the confusion it was easy to maintain social distancing.  Most people, including all employees, wore masks.  

• Like 1

I went to Walmart yesterday, getting groceries after 15 days.  We are feeding 7.  Ds19 stayed at college, so it is the campus' problem to feed him. đŸ˜‰

I was thrilled to be able to buy rice and pasta.  Pasta was somewhat limited, but there weren't restrictions posted.  There was an abundance of rice in the store.

ETA:  There were (finally) plenty of eggs.  I got a huge box of five dozen.

Meat was not being limited, but the fresh meat stock was low.  I only bought one large package of stew meat (1 meal) and one large package of chicken breasts (2 meals).  I would have bought more, but there were only about four or five packages in the case and I wanted to leave some for others.  I bought a few packages of Italian sausage.  There were a good number of these.

I was able to buy frozen hamburger patties.  There were stacks of boxes in the freezer, so I bought 2 large boxes of 30, enough for 6 meals.  I also bought some ham steaks, frozen salmon, and hot dogs.

So, there was meat available, but most of it wasn't the fresh meat that I prefer.

Liquid soap was in very limited supply with a limit of 1 (tiny) bottle per customer.  

No clorox wipes or bathroom cleaner.  No paper towels.  No toilet paper.

Almost everything else that I wanted seemed to be in good supply.

My pantry, fridge, and freezers are full.  We are blessed.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

NC, this morning -- The store was the most well stocked I've seen it since all this started. The non-perishables seemed almost back to normal. There was plenty of meat of all kinds (although I don't doubt that may change quickly). They even had boneless chicken breasts on sale at a very good price, so I bought a pack. I didn't notice limits on anything except TP and PT. They had a decent amount of TP. They were out of PT and liquid hand soap, and had a very limited supply of cleaning products.

• Like 1

Northeast Texas-I got a pick-up order yesterday, and the only fresh ground beef available was the grass fed packages. High quality chicken breast was the only fresh available as well. I did find flour for mil. Avocados were missing. I'm guessing they were totally out, because they didn't substitute the ones I ordered. I got 2 bags of frozen tilapia, some bacon and sausage. 

• Like 1

Corner of Nebraska-Missouri-Kansas. Small town grocery store this morning. I was the only one in the store when it opened, but there were three shoppers there when I was checking out. Two were together & wearing masks. The other shopper was not wearing a mask. I only saw one employee & she was not masked. One way signs on the floor.

This is the first time I've been in a grocery store in well over a month. Low amounts on some shelves surprised me a bit and tgere were a few empty areas. Fresh fruit was low but that's not unusual for this store. Premixed salads were half empty - could be where they are in a delivery cycle. Bread was low. I did not notice the meat area. I forgot to look for yeast. Some types of milk (like heavy cream) were out. Eggs were low in general but still available.

Lots of store brand TP right at the entrance. I did not go down the cleaning products aisle or the frozen food aisle.

Walmart cancelled my pickup order this morning. It was scheduled for this afternoon and I had reserved that spot a week ago.

I used to be able to place an order Wednesday evening for pickup on Thurs. or Fri. afternoon. Walmart now books one week ahead.

• Confused 1

New England - no baking powder or iceberg lettuce!!  What??

I don't buy chicken or beef at "regular' grocery stores. Whole Foods had plenty of both, but nothing on sale, so I didn't get it. I buy chicken in Wegmans and called yesterday and was told they are not getting full shipments. Trader Joe's had everything.

Everything else seems to be in stock, at least the stuff that I normally get.

I go shopping about once a week and I noticed that every week there is some items missing but then they show up the following week and something else is missing. I gave up trying to "stock up". I spent way way too much over the last month and half, so from now on I'll just do regular weekly shopping and that's it

What I am noticing where I live is that most things are available but with less choices in brands or types. There was enough paper products in store brands but not much of the fancier name brands. Walmart had plenty of eggs, but the only cartons of 1 dozen were medium eggs. Large eggs were only in the 18 ct cartons. Same for meat-enough but not as plentiful choices. 

I go to Whole Foods maybe once a month,  mostly to get some gluten free foods that I can't get at my usual store.   The last time I was there they were counting people at the entrance.  I didn't see that today, but I was there at 8am when they opened for all shoppers (60+ shoppers are allowed in at 7am).  Now they have one-way aisles, and all the "team members" were wearing masks.   

I buy the big refill bottles of their foaming soap, and today there were signs limiting customers to 3 units of soap.   I wanted 3 before I knew that 3 would be the limit, and the size didn't matter so I took 3.   Then I went to the meat department to buy frozen gluten free chicken nuggets and tenders.  I bought several boxes and bags because my daughter can't eat the spicier ones that my son prefers.  Then when I went to the general frozen food section to buy gluten free pizzas for my son I noticed a sign limiting people to 4 frozen pizzas and 2 frozen chicken products.  (There was also a limit of 2 frozen vegetables.)  I wasn't going back to the meat department...I decided to go to the check-out with what I already had in my cart and no one said anything.  

I had brought my own bags with me and they told me I could use them but would have to bag them myself so I did.    I'm slow because of arthritis in my hand, but at least it was early in the morning and no one was waiting in line behind me.   

I felt stressed out and overheated (still trying to get used to the mask) so I was glad to get into the minivan and take the mask off.  Then I see a guy changing his clothes outside of his car in the parking lot in the same row where I parked so I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  

In TN - we stayed away from stores for weeks because we have plenty in the freezer and people were trying to find food, but have been going once/week to some sort of store for the past few weeks - local chain grocery store 2 times and Sam's once, and my mom has gotten pick-up from a different store and gone to a tiny mom-and-pop market.  They are out of some things, but it varies and there is plenty of food.  Sam's was limiting people to one of each fresh meat item (all large packs).  There was plenty of frozen stuff.  We buy 1/2 pig and 1/2 cow from local farmers, so I only shop for (usually frozen) chicken and fish for us and was able to find each.  Veggies are plentiful.  Flour was low at the grocery store, but there was plenty at Sam's, in 10 and 25 lb bags.  Any given trip might involve something missing - like, no dried beans, but canned, or no rice at one store but plenty at others.  The mom and pop gets many things from local suppliers so they have their usual seasonal ups and downs in supply. 

Locally there seems to be plenty of food, but not necessarily what a particular shopper normally gets. When I shop, I don't usually need specific things unless I'm cooking for a party/holiday.  I keep things stocked, but if I go and there isn't broccoli, I grab spinach or asparagus instead - I'm really shopping for 'green veggies' and once I have some I can figure out what to make with them.  With pick-up orders, though, you can't easily say 'broccoli, but if there isn't any, then spinach, and if not that, then asparagus' and you don't want to request 3x what you need in case you get it all.  So, one person will say that they got nothing that they wanted and somebody else will say that they got everything, but if they'd been shopping in person both would have been OK.  At our stores, if you're the person who regularly does the shopping you'd realize that they're missing things, but if you just plopped down in the store you'd think there was plenty of food.  

1/3-2/3 of people are in masks, depending on which store you're talking about.  People have to pass in aisles but aren't bumping against each other and are giving people space to get what they need.  

Dairy and eggs have been fine - more empty spaces than usual, but still plenty available.  There was a weird absence of all types of whipping cream one day but I'm assuming that everybody wanted it for the same reason I did - local berries are in and people want berries and whipped cream.  It was restocked the next time we went.  

• Like 1

I heard about meat shortages two weeks ago and stocked up plenty then so I have ground beef, roasts, steak, chicken tenders, pork chops, etc in the freezer, and dozens of eggs in the fridge.

Virginia. Whole Foods today was limiting customers to 95 inside. Workers get temperature checked and wear masks and gloves. Social distancing signs everywhere and one way aisles and stickers on the floor. I got inside  without waiting in line but when I left about 15 minutes later there was a 12 person line. Many areas in the store with empty shelves including cereal and frozen food. It looked like about 30% of the store shelves were empty. Some vitamins like C and D were back but others (Zinc) empty. Produce/fruit looked full enough. I did not check the meat here. Almost no eggs for weeks. No flour. Signs everywhere limiting everything.

Kroger supplies vary depending on when you go and which location. If you get there when the delivery truck gets there there is a lot of chicken and beef. By the end of the day the chicken case is totally empty. Frozen hamburgers are gone and fresh, grassfed organic beef (which I buy) is gone for weeks and then suddenly shows up again. There is grassfed bison and lamb available. No flour for weeks in any location except very pricey brands. Sometimes there are eggs and sometimes not. NO fresh Garlic heads at any location and no explanation for why. Workers are required to wear masks (gloves optional) and there are social distancing stickers on the floor. Stores are limiting customers but it's  a lot (like 500+) so I have never had to wait.

Walmart pretty much has had no beef for weeks now except a few packs of ground beef. Some chicken (breasts, etc.) No eggs for a few weeks but now eggs are back and limited. Produce seems fine. Dairy is sparse except there is plenty of cheese. Workers are required to wear masks and gloves. There are one way aisles.

Definitely shortages due to far more people eating many more meals at home and also meat packing plants having problems. Not sure why there is so little flour anywhere. 

Edited by CAtoVA

local very small grocery shop. finally had oats, and they weren't rationed.

sugar only available in 15 kg bags

no flour at all

they had 2 bags of 10 white rice. that was it - rationed

pasta rationed 1 bag per person.

the only hand soap is the expensive stuff. the ones over $3 per bar

there was heaps of tp, heaps. it was stacked up everywhere.

everything else was back to normal

there is no meat shortage in Australia we export a LOT of meat and as most of the countries we export to have closed borders there is a lot available in Australia

• Sad 1

Not exactly a store report but I tried to order warm clothes and discovered that next is no longer operating the global stores.  I’ve just discovered them last year and I’m quite disappointed.  The quality of clothes we get here is a lot lower.

second thing I learned is we can no longer ship from here to the US right now through Australia post.  I think letters are still going but not parcels.

dh paid an extra 30 pc for a box of gloves the other day due to shortages.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In central Maryland, I went to Harris Teeter on Wednesday. Everyone or virtually everyone is masked (temporarily the law here). People are cooperative; I have not encountered anyone going bananas at that store, staff or customer. Lots of stock is out or greatly reduced still. Most fresh fruits and veggies are in stock, though. I think frozen as well but I wasn’t buying frozen veg so I didn’t look. They were almost completely exhausted of any kind of poultry. They had four whole chickens left; I took one. Another lady took the remaining three. They had some chicken parts, but only organic (expensive). I did buy one package of drumsticks. 

Never King Arthur flour, never bread flour. I did get a small 5lb bag of store brand AP flour by asking a stocker. There was no longer any on the shelves, though. 

I saw some paper towels (but don’t need any) but still no unicorn TP (but don’t need it). No cleaning materials at all like wipes, bleach, etc., but I don’t need any. I didn’t look for liquid soap because I have big gallon refills from long before this. But it seemed to me that shelf was also bare. 

There was plenty of milk, yogurt, cheese. I bought two big bags of mozerella and cheddar cheeses, which I freeze in smaller bags. I have chickens and so, don’t buy eggs, but I did see a woman deliberating at the egg case; I think maybe the only eggs left were the expensive types (free-range, organic, or exotics). 

Social distancing practices are very good there and people are compliant. Check out lines tend to be long, I think both because of reduced staff and because of spacing. The one problem this does create is that people in line to check out are impeding sections of the aisles to shoppers. You would have to catch someone’s eye and indicate you want to get crackers or whatever. 

10 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

@SereneHome.  I had to go to 3 stores to find baking powder yesterday.  What is up with that?! 

I am East Coast.   Frozen veggies were extremely sparse.  I couldn't get exactly what I wanted so substituted.  No tp,  no paper towels.   Cheese was more sparse than it has been.  Eggs were good.  Dried beans continued to be extremely sparse.  Detergent also was more sparse than it has been.   As I said, it took 3 stores to find baking powder.  No flour (except at Trader Joe's).  The lettuce was sparse as well.  In the end I was able to get everything we needed, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted.   We didn't need some things that I noticed just weren't there.  Yeast is nowhere to be found.  I have 2 containers but after that....well I just hope it is back in stock.  If not...sigh...........(i don't buy bread...I make it weekly for our family).

My take away is that nothing is improving and some things have gotten worse.  It is very distressing and I, once again, was left very anxious about the food supply (and supplies in general) after shopping.  Truly grocery shopping has gotten to be nothing more than an anxiety provoking mess.  I have us well stocked and we are very fortunate, but the fear of the future just never leaves.

Apparently there’s an outbreak and one of the birds eye packing places so that might explain the frozen veg shortage?

57 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Even the store brands?  

Here’s the article

https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavirus/food-processing-plants-see-surge-in-covid-19-cases-including-more-than-100-in-darien

im not sure how big a percentage of packaging is done there but they’ve been shut since 17th of April.  If everyone who usually buys that brand can’t get it and buys store brand that could create shortages, but I don’t know I’m just guessing.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if it matters what day of the week you go shopping. I *think* I had better luck with things earlier in a week. I am going to test this theory next week.

@peacelovehomeschooling - not sure where you are, but Market Basket had plenty of frozen veggies, but not BJ. Trader Joe also had everything they usually have.

I am a very weird shopper. There are items I only buy at certain stores and this whole thing is messing me up bc if my "usual"  store doesn't have something, I completely forget to look anywhere else.

I tend to go once a week, but over the last 2 weeks I've actually been in 3 different stores, 1 of the them twice. Trader Joe's looked fully stocked--I was able to get everything I needed, I saw no empty shelves, they even had tp. I went to Fred Meyer on a Monday and the toilet paper aisle was empty and there were no canned tomatoes (we get their no-salt-added Kroger tomatoes--I can't find the no-salt added at Winco, at least not cheaper brands). Then later in the week I had to pick up a prescription and I was able to get tp--aisle full, so must have been restocked recently. Instead of my usual 6-pack of Northern tp, all they were carrying was an 18-roll pack which was fine with me! And they had a few cans of tomatoes, but were almost out. I took the last 2 no-salt tomato sauce.

My main trip this week was Winco at 8 am (just after senior hours). This was a good time to go--not crowded. Mostly well-stocked. Meat looked fine--don't know if it's worse now with the news articles of shortages. There are no small bags of flour, but they now have huge bags in what used to be the bulk food section. I'm considering getting one on the next trip. Pre-pandemic I would never get that much in these near-empty-nest years and trying hard to not gain weight. But cooking for 5 again and baking more and all meals at home--we may be able to use it up. I would rather have too much than not be able to get any. Our Winco still has instant yeast bricks in the bulk area--maybe people don't know to look there. They had a few packages of store brand tp. Dried beans are beginning to make a comeback. Pasta was fairly well stocked. The thing I can't find anywhere is ammonia. And there's always a few things on my list that I have to put on the next week's list.

I went to Kroger this morning.  There weren’t overflowing with fresh meat, but there was plenty.  Pork products are now limit 2.  There’s still empty spots, but I got almost everything on my list.  Very few choices for spaghetti sauce and rice, for instance.

There was one thing I got excited about.  They had hand sanitizer!!!  I haven’t seen any in at least 6 weeks and the small bottle I use to clean my hands after shopping, before driving home, is nearly empty.  There was a limit of 1 per customer and they only had 1 size (12 oz bottle).

PSA: I've done pretty well so far at stocking up on things before the mad rush on that item. I am currently making sure I'm fully stocked on canning supplies, as everyone is planning a garden this year. We live in berry country, so I'm also making sure I have sugar and pectin on hand now, before the very short strawberry season begins at the end of this month. I got more lids and rings and ordered some more plastic freezer jars (can't seem to find them in stores around here anymore).

• Like 1

Wow. i'm so surprised at the stocks in other American stores! I'm in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. In Walmart, in addition to no tp , there is no flour, yeast, sandwich bread... basic things. So many things are out throughout the store. Forget ANY spray cleaner or bleach (for laundry) I can't even get Chlorox II. We are wiping our counter down with water and dishwashing soap. That is limited in the store. Canned fruit is limited. Meat is almost always out except for a few weird things- it depends when you arrive. Almost everything we buy on a normal basis is out, I can't even list it all. We have to wait in a long line outside to get in the store because there are limited people inside. Wearing a mask in a retail store is a state mandate. Stores have one way aisles.  Check out is a nightmare because everything needs to be wiped down between check out and they are spacing cashiers. The line for check out looks like Black Friday. (Our county is one of the hardest hit in Pennsylvania and we are still having a lot of daily death from community spread. We haven't peaked.)

small town Ohio- we have two grocery stores, A Save-a-lot that was well stocked on everything but yeast and certain types of beans that have been out for a while. Everything else was completely full shelves. Across the street is an IGA where my dd works. They get a truck three times a week, but for some reason, that store still looks like it did in the middle of the panic buying, although they did get flour this week. They were still out of all kinds of stuff that my dd said has just never come on any of the trucks. I don't understand why one store on one side of the street looks like it did during panic buying and the store on the other side of the street looks very normal. Both had good supplies of meat and fresh produce

Costco visit today, SE PA, Philadelpha suburbs.

Limits on fresh meat (3 packages) and lots of empty spaces in the pork and beef area, zero chicken available.  

We got toilet paper which hadn't become an emergency yet. but no paper towels (which we don't use many but like to have around.  Were able to buy 25# of King Arthur All-purpose flour but no yeast or vanilla extract. (I haven't been able to get vanilla at any other store either; is that just because people are into baking right now?)   Pretty much everything else was available as usual.   Well, we realized after it was too late that we should have looked for rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer and that sort of thing; we aren't in dire need but why we didn't think to look is beyond my comprehension. 

Couldn't find bird seed, that seemed random.

I completed my first of the month shopping. I had to go to three stores in order to find what I needed. 

Walmart - lots of fresh produce, low on all types of meat, no TP, no sanitizer or disinfectants, frozen vegetables were hit or miss (lots of lima beans, no green beans). The item that surprised me was tuna fish; there wasn't a can to be seen. There was plenty of bread and flour but no yeast.

Aldi - seemed to be well stocked. They had some TP but no sanitizer or disinfectants. They had tuna so I grabbed some even though it wasn't on my list.

Hy-vee - Plenty of produce, well stocked on meat (finally found the pork roast I needed), some limits on items but, in general, it was the best of the three stores.

Today was the first day of compulsory masks. I would say that 95% of people wore masks. All three stores had employees at the entrances reminding everyone about the mask policy and providing instruction about the 6 ft policy and directional arrows. These employees were also telling people they weren't allowed in without a mask.  Inside the stores, almost everyone tried to maintain the 6 foot distance and follow the directional arrows. There were some vocal dissenters and people who removed their masks as soon as they were allowed in the stores but for the most part everyone was compliant and business went as usual.

I went to Shaws grocery store today - I can't remember their parent company, but I think it's Albertsons. Everything was decently stocked - no tofu, Gardein veggie burgers were very low (made in Canada). There was some TP, but not a ton. Flour was back. Produce, rice, beans, pasta, and frozen veggies were all well stocked as well. We don't eat meat and I was going to check out the meat area, but totally forgot. 

I ordered meat on Sunday with no problems from Fresh Market.  On Monday I went to Publix and frozen fruits were hit or miss.  Today I did a Instacart order at Publix- - no meat in that order.  I did get Dairy, paper towels, some cleaners, some canned goods.  I am talking with dh about doing a CSA meat order/fruit order plan.  They have special butchering arrangements.

Safeway was quite well stocked when we went at 3pm. Toilet paper was 88cents per roll or $10 for 12 rolls (Kleenex brand). They have hand sanitizers as well. They have air dry chicken which is new to me, they have the usual other chicken varieties. Plenty of pork, lamb, beef and salmon.

I’m in New England. Masks are mandatory here so most people were wearing them. (Exceptions made for medical issues but no proof required.) Meat cases were a little sparse but there was meat to buy. Pasta shelves, rice, cleaning products, vitamin C shelves all with bare spots but not completely empty. Still no flour or yeast. Almost no baking powder. I found some at Walmart and bought two. No rubbing Alcohol or disinfecting wipes. Plenty of bleach, toilet paper shelves are better, plenty of milk, eggs, cheese, and beans. All the stores have limits on how many of each item you can buy. I did a little stocking up but not much. I wish we had a chest freezer that I could fill but we don’t have one and it seems you can’t buy those anywhere either. 

Was at a Kroger today and almost fell over because they had FLOUR! Like the section was almost 1/2 full and it was "regular" brands like Pillsbury. It's been WEEKS since I have seen that. This Kroger is near the university and the majority of customers normally would be students (not here now) and younger people. This was the Kroger that still had onions and potatoes but absolutely no chips or frozen pizza in March. My theory is that the younger people may not cook from scratch (need onions, fresh produce, etc) and favor easier food like frozen pizza. So, maybe they don't bake either. Was able to get one, three pack of yeast here but it was one of only three packages left. Plenty of spices, vanilla, etc.

Also picked up four packages of chicken tenders and some grass fed steak and ground beef. There were about fifteen packages total of the chicken tenders, maybe ten packages of chicken drumsticks and three whole chickens in the case. That was it for chicken. There was plenty of beef but pork was spotty.

Fresh fish had been missing for weeks but seems to be back now and in good variety.

Edited by CAtoVA

Texas, San Antonio area:

HEB started limiting meat to 2 fresh items per transaction. There is no limit on frozen meats, deli or other "preserved" types of meat, or fresh fish. The meat cases were full, so I suspect the limit is more about preventing panic-buying than reflecting a shortage. 

Limits are in place on canned goods (8 items per transaction), paper goods (1 of each type per transaction), fresh meat (2 packages per), disinfectants (1 per transaction), hand soap and sanitizers (4 per transaction). 

Most things are pretty well stocked, except for Lysol and bleach. Major brands of tp were out, but there was a lot of an off-brand that was chamomile scented (?).  No one has been interested in it and the store actually marked it down to move it along! So that tells me the buying patterns here are still somewhat in panic/hoarding mode rather than a increased need. 

The store was more crowded today than other days.  I don't know if that was because this was the first day that Texas is more "open" or if it is because it was Friday/pay day/1st of the month. There was a distinct increase in really rude, snotty behavior at the store today.  This town is normally exceedingly polite and nice, but today people were downright nasty to each other and the staff. I also got called a "sheeple" by a man at the store today because I wore a mask.  His kid is in the homeschool group and recognized me.  Dad didn't know who I was. The kid looked mortified. I hope that isn't a sign of things to come.  I've been scolded twice by randos at the store because I wore a mask. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Went to the grocery store for the first time in weeks yesterday. DH has been doing the shopping since he’s out and about for his job more. 

The toilet paper has returned. The grocery store is healing. 

I went to my favorite grocery store, not the closest one, since that one has irrational limits on things. Last time I was at my favorite store there was no milk. This time there was plenty. There was plenty of meat. In fact, I didn’t notice shortages of anything except packaged rice products (like Rice-a-Roni), which they were completely out of, and certain kinds of pasta.

eta: but I didn’t even look at bleach/Clorox wipes/sanitizer aisle, so who knows there.

and the toilet paper aisle was not full, but there was enough that buying enough for my family would have left plenty for other families. I’ve not seen or heard of that much toilet paper available since this all started.

Edited by emba56

Eastern Washington.  Went to Safeway today their was actually to and other paper products not tons but some.  The only limits I saw were bottled water and eggs.  Meat seemed stocked like usual and they were giving away free rotisserie chicken with certain purchases. 

Our McDonald's that I stopped at to get a coffee had a limited menu because of the meat shortage though.

Safeway today. The hand sanitizer photo was taken yesterday but the stock on shelves didn’t reduce much probably due to the cost. The price for the hand sanitizer is cheaper at Safeway then buying direct from the distillerie (https://raffdistillerie.com). There was toilet paper and paper towels, I didn’t take a photo as a couple was choosing which to buy. 

FE97FF02-7069-4B03-A826-C0A22CE740B1.jpeg

AFEF9705-5855-49D3-A544-7B388480A628.jpeg

1BC8586E-038D-486F-BF54-C5D2AAD7319F.jpeg

3F458975-9D11-43D7-90B5-A8154B777147.jpeg

351A2FC0-10DC-4FFE-AB42-CB16165FCCFD.jpeg

D3D04C89-34CE-4922-92D0-F9D4E0B05B9C.jpeg

• Like 1

Boston Metro, ordered online from Wegmans for curbside pickup mid-afternoon on a Saturday. We still need to book a time 5 days in advance, in the middle of the night, but it lets me edit my list up until a few hours before they start collecting it for pickup.

Wegmans has had a limit on fresh meat for a while, limited to 2 beef and 2 chicken. Today I got the beef (ground beef and a steak) I requested, but not the fresh chicken.  I requested one of their ready to bake turkey meatloafs as backup because I was expecting the chicken to fall through. They did have the frozen chicken tenders my kid likes, after running out of them last week.

Other things I did not receive from my list: yeast, wipes, tissue, tp, dishwasher detergent, vanilla ice cream, tostitos, goldfish crackers

I was able to get my milk, oj, eggs, yogurt, hummus, and all of the fruits and veggies i wanted. The bananas look better this week. They might not have to go right into banana bread. The black beans I could not get last week are back, along with their 6 packs of canned corn.

I ordered a few things from Target online to ship that I would normally get at the grocery store. Dishwasher detergent, hand sanitizer, and goldfish crackers, among other things.

Saturday 5/2: 

large grocery store: Dh said that at store opening it looked like it normally does after a very big holiday shopping weekend—shelves were half empty, stuff had been placed to fill in gaps just to get product out. Produce shelves were fuller than they’ve been for 8 weeks but no tomatoes for slicing, and some produce looked gross. This is still very not typical for this store. They had meat in the cases, no limits. Limits had finally been removed from canned goods. Overall, it looked at store opening better than it did two weeks ago.

restaurant store: placed large order, with website reporting beans and flour in stock. The other portion of my order was available for pickup, but no beans and no flour. Super disappointed. 

I like your color coding, whitehawk!

I haven't gone to the store myself recently, but I just placed an order with peapod and... results were mixed. No toilet paper (which I expected), no tortillas (then again, those were on sale), no chicken, no sour cream. I must say, the sour cream surprised me! But with the chicken and tortillas sold out, maybe everybody plans on taco tuesday?

Still, I got my blintzes, and then seem to have sent me an extra salmon fillet... maybe to make up for the chicken? That's not what I call a comparable substitution, but I'm not complaining anyway.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

Still looking for Clorox wipes? CEO warns shelves won't be fully stocked with disinfecting cleaners until summer

Clorox says retail shelves will not be fully stocked with its popular wipes and other disinfectant cleaners used to combat COVID-19 until this summer.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/2020/05/06/clorox-disinfectant-wipes-shortage-summer/5177753002/