Menu

Texas Peeps

(Let me preface this by saying that I live in a county with very low numbers.  Like zero new cases for many days and when we do have new cases, it's 1 or 2.  Once it was 5.  Then zero again.  And they have opened up testing to just about anyone.)

Texas Peeps, with the opening of several more businesses, where are you going to go this weekend?  I was looking forward to possibly dropping off stuff at Goodwill and then browsing inside, but  I am not sure it will be open.  

One thing we will for sure do is get Drive Thru Sonic and park at the beach parking lot, eat and drink Sonic, and stare at the water.  But we do this anyway on occasion.  Still it's very nice.  We don't generally get out of the car anyway, because we don't like to get sand in the car and then everywhere else.

I know Plato's Closet will definitely be open, and while it would be fun to go, I anticipate lines, and I loathe lines, so we will wait on that most likely.

No other plans because I don't think anything's going to really be open yet.  Movie theaters are staying closed, and that's okay because there's nothing I want to see there anyway.  We don't like to eat out in restaurants.  And I don't really browse in stores except for Goodwill.  Oh!  Maybe Half Price Books.  That could be fun.  I do browse there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

(Let me preface this by saying that I live in a county with very low numbers.  Like zero new cases for many days and when we do have new cases, it's 1 or 2.  Once it was 5.  Then zero again.  And they have opened up testing to just about anyone.)

Texas Peeps, with the opening of several more businesses, where are you going to go this weekend?  I was looking forward to possibly dropping off stuff at Goodwill and then browsing inside, but  I am not sure it will be open.  

One thing we will for sure do is get Drive Thru Sonic and park at the beach parking lot, eat and drink Sonic, and stare at the water.  But we do this anyway on occasion.  Still it's very nice.  We don't generally get out of the car anyway, because we don't like to get sand in the car and then everywhere else.

I know Plato's Closet will definitely be open, and while it would be fun to go, I anticipate lines, and I loathe lines, so we will wait on that most likely.

No other plans because I don't think anything's going to really be open yet.  Movie theaters are staying closed, and that's okay because there's nothing I want to see there anyway.  We don't like to eat out in restaurants.  And I don't really browse in stores except for Goodwill.  Oh!  Maybe Half Price Books.  That could be fun.  I do browse there.

I'm in Travis County and no idea what will be open.

I'm planning to go to grimes County (9 cases total) over Mother's Day. And making appointments for vision care.

most of the places seem to be opening up curbside, not for browsing.

We'll need to get shoes for my daughter soon but it isn't critical yet.

• Like 1

I'm planning to wait a little while. Not a huge while, but give time for crowds to thin again. 

My first in-store visit will be "my" local quilt shop; she's been open for curb side orders but will now be (very limited) open for in-store shopping. She's asking people to stay only 20 mins (!!) because due to the size of her space, she can only have 3 customers at a time, but still. 

Half Price Books would also be good. 

Other than that, not sure; one son needs some shoes for his (he thinks still happening) camp job this summer, so we'll have to brave Academy for that (or at least, he will). Other than that, we're not in a rush to mob places, and purposely grocery shopped yesterday so we won't need to right away after everyone starts going more places. 

• Like 1

I live in the same area as vonfirmath.

We’ll probably drop off stuff at Goodwill and that’s it. There still aren’t public Masses in the diocese. That would be the only other place I anticipate my family going. Maybe.

Oh, kids have TKD, too. They’ve been having Zoom classes and meetings. I’m not sure when the studio will open nor when they’ll start attending in person classes. 

• Like 1

We don't have any plans to go out. GW's day program is slated to start half time on May 11 and that will probably be the first time any of us go anywhere but the super market. We'll stick to drive thrus and take out for restaurant food and delivery for any thing else we need for a while yet. Dh's office building reopened but they're limiting elevators to 2 people at a time so there is no way dh will still be working at home until that's more normal.

• Like 1

Guadalupe county here.  We don't have plans to go anywhere other than groceries tomorrow. Cases in the county are low and I feel pretty comfortable going out in public, but we aren't "early adopters", lol. I will let everyone else work out the bugs before I venture out.

I would love to stop by Hobby Lobby, but I am going to wait until later next week. In a few weeks, we will go to the drive in and bring our own snacks. 

• Like 1

Hays county here...

I'm  immunocompromised so I'm staying in-- well there is a small chance that we will go over our friends' house Saturday.  They have been sheltering in place too so I consider them low low risk-- we would probably stay outside by the fire pit.

I'm NOT going shopping anytime soon!

My dd has a State Park Pass-- she went last week and hopes to go to another park this next week-- She would go tomorrow but she forgot to make reservations and can't get into anything close by this weekend.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slache said:

San Antonio remains closed! I have needed a haircut since before this started. I look like a homeless person. We are going to get a state park pass and visit some places while work is low. Kids are 9, 7 and 4 and very bored!

Bexar county here. I though Gov Abbot said cities couldn't supercede his orders and I haven't really heard what Mayor Nuremberg had said. Are face masks still required?

Did you see the zoo is now drive through? I wonder if your kids would like that. (Though at $60 per car, it's a bit expensive.)

Regardless, I'm not doing anything extra except meeting someone to trade plants. I expect we'll use social distancing and be very quick.

• Like 2

We're in Houston. We went to the beach on Bolivar peninsula last week and it was amazing. With Galveston beaches opening back up, I anticipate some more beach days. If state parks open up for camping any time soon, we'll head camping. There was a week at the beginning of April, where it came up in my Facebook memories - we had been camping that week every year for five years. It was hard to be stuck at home!

I already don't shop much in stores, or eat in restaurants or go to movies very often. We're hoping the zoo opens soon.

A lot of our life revolves around my daughter's gymnastics - she's there 4-5 days a week, I work the front desk, many of DS's friends are there...if they don't get to reopen in some capacity in the next round on May 18th (assuming we get to have the next round), I am not sure they'll make it. 😪

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I'm in Travis County and no idea what will be open.

I'm planning to go to grimes County (9 cases total) over Mother's Day. And making appointments for vision care.

most of the places seem to be opening up curbside, not for browsing.

We'll need to get shoes for my daughter soon but it isn't critical yet.

I'm in Round Rock. 🙂

Lakeline Mall and Barton Creek Mall will be open, but I don't know if all the stores will open or not. Can't remember if the Outlets are opening or not.

We have no big plans. I miss Fredericksburg and Wimberly; not sure I'll go there yet. Maybe we'll go to Opie's Barbecue in Spicewood on Mother's Day. Best.barbecue.ever.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, brehon said:

There still aren’t public Masses in the diocese. That would be the only other place I anticipate my family going. Maybe.

Apparently, the Bishop has said there can be Mass; the parishes are working on figuring out what that will look like. I go to St. William...I don't even know what the priests will figure out. o_0 Mass attendance is still dispensed for folks 60 and over; I'm over 🙂 but also, I'm very healthy. I'm just waiting to see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Bexar county here. I though Gov Abbot said cities couldn't supercede his orders and I haven't really heard what Mayor Nuremberg had said. Are face masks still required?

Did you see the zoo is now drive through? I wonder if your kids would like that. (Though at $60 per car, it's a bit expensive.)

Regardless, I'm not doing anything extra except meeting someone to trade plants. I expect we'll use social distancing and be very quick.

I've kind of given up watching the news at all costs so I don't know. Face masks yes. I'm claustrophobic and begin hyperventilating when I wear them so I don't. No one cares but I'm very self conscious about being the only one without a mask.

I saw the zoo. I think it's $40? I don't mind the high price because it's supposedly because the zoo needs money and I support that. We've never been (only been here a year) but I don't think we'll go because I imagine you can't see much from your car and I think my kids would just be disappointed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ellie said:

Apparently, the Bishop has said there can be Mass; the parishes are working on figuring out what that will look like. I go to St. William...I don't even know what the priests will figure out. o_0 Mass attendance is still dispensed for folks 60 and over; I'm over 🙂 but also, I'm very healthy. I'm just waiting to see.

I saw that late last night. I’m not sure what I think about that. I can’t imagine how churches would implement the guidelines (? rules?) about monitoring, temp checks, or even how you determine the 25% capacity. Is it 25% of just the parishioners (i.e., how many people the churches hold) or is it 25% total capacity, to include the presider, deacon, server(s), and church musicians? I can’t find the temporary protocols for the celebration of the sacraments mentioned in the Bishop’s decree. 

I also know that all my kids have really missed Mass and seeing everyone. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wilrunner said:

The Governor did say that.  His plan suggests that people wear masks in public, but county or city governments may not require them.  Private businesses can require them, of course.

Dallas County here.  We're not planning to do anything that different.  Our (small) church will remain online.  We wear masks anytime we are around people outside our household.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I had to run to the butcher shop today, so I drove through a few shopping center parking lots.  Most of the stores did not open up today.  Dick's and Shoe Carnival re-opened, but Children's Place, Old Navy, Five Below, and both Ross stores were still closed.  I forgot to look over at the mall parking lot.

Hmm, I wonder if this is more common than I would have thought. I picked up barbecue from Spring Creek BBQ today and they were still curbside only.

It might not be worth opening for 25% capacity?

• Like 1

Dallas County and we are doing what we have been doing since March -staying home.The numbers are higher than before so its really not worth heading out yet.DS is

immunocompromised so we will be limiting our outside activities.

• Like 1

Well, I have re-thought my idea of browsing at Half Price Books.  The statisticians locally forecast that if we can just keep up the good work, Covid will burn itself out by end of May in our area.  Also, they emphasized how really, really, really important masks, hand washing and social distancing will be as the economy is opening up.  So I will drop off the Goodwill stuff, browse only if there's few people there (on Sunday not Saturday since Saturday is the busiest day for "contact" in the area according to cell phone data).  And maybe we'll just do Sonic in the car at the beach every weekend.  It was lovely.  

• Like 2

There is outrage at the judge making our county orders, for telling people they have to wear masks. Honestly you would have thought she asked them to sleep on a bed of nails every night. And then the police publicly declared that they wouldn't enforce anything she said. 

So the result is that everyone is out and about now, and maybe half are wearing masks, and maybe half of *those* are wearing them correctly. And I swear to Maud, if all these 🤬 spike our cases and ruin everything, I hope karma deals with them. It's not just the masks - the same people who refuse to wear masks also seem to be engaging in every type of risky virus-spreading behavior they can. It's so frustrating. I feel like we have a good deal here - whether it's our weather or something else and I fear dumb people are going to ruin it. 

I don't think you can walk it back though. Even if serious cases rise, city wide or state wide, I don't think it's actually possible to walk the state back to lockdown unless the majority of people are scared for their lives - and since the death rate of this virus was never the main issue, I don't think it can happen. And I don't necessarily think it should happen. I just think we could all show care for our fellow humans and at least be a little careful. Ugh. 

• Like 4

I’m in Austin. I work from home now and I am extra tired at the end of the week. Working from home is ... harder. Spouse is immunocompromised. Cases are still growing exponentially. So I’ll stick to walking my dog incessantly. He’s very well exercised theses days! Got another jigsaw puzzle. 

• Like 4

I live in East Texas - the counties over here are pretty high for their population. 
People here have been *demanding* to open again.

Restaurants are open with 25% capacity but most of the local owned ones are not opening their dining rooms because that small number is not profitable. They are still offering curbside and delivery. The one restaurant we stopped at to pick up something - opened their dining room but it had one couple. One. There was probably room for 20? Employee said normally they would be packed, but people weren't really coming in. 

But people are all excited about hair and nail salons opening! 

I've mostly been doing the same - grocery store, natural grocery store, drug store (if needed), drive thru/curb side pick up 2-3 times/week.  I did go to Lowe's to get plants though. 

I am thinking about suggesting some new acronyms for people to put on their FB posts:

JAWM - Just Agree With Me
IARSDNA - I'm Always Right So Do Not Argue
DNAFSJTM - Do Not Ask For Sources, Just Trust Me
IYDNAYAS - If You Do Not Agree, You Are Stupid
YIRTSAIDNC - Yes, I've Researched The Speaker, And I Do Not Care
AMETOISAE - All Media Except The Ones I Share Are Evil
IFBPVTMIIT - If FaceBook Pulls Video, That Means It Is Truth

Seriously, I've snoozed so many FB friends who normally are reasonable people. But they aren't now. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

My sister lives in Brazoria county and she and her husband went out to eat...dine in this weekend. I can't believe it.  But they are on the 'we are just over this' side of the issue.  

Her daughter's wedding has been moved from end of May to March of next year.  

• Like 1

Still fairly low numbers.  Movie theaters have not re-opened, even though they're allowed.  Hair salons can open as of May 8.  Dh and dd have been wanting haircuts, but we know there will probably be a rush and a long line (people have to wait outside) so they are going to wait on haircuts for awhile still.  Plus you have to masked up which is good, but I'm confused how one can gets one's hair cut with mask ties on your head.  Perhaps the over-the-ear masks would be better for this outing?

Still staying home.  Now that I'm allowed to go out, the desire to go anywhere that's actually open is low.  Our local playhouse did a curbside pickup this weekend of food from their concession stand, and they had about three different actors in costume to bring the food to the car (only one brought food to the car.  I'm just saying they had three different people doing food runs).  That was a nice change of pace from staying home.

Edited by perkybunch

Guadalupe county here.

People here are done. I drove by Walmart because I am almost out of some supplies I need for my business. No one entering or exiting was wearing a mask. I saw one employee wearing one, rounding up carts. The parking lot was jammed and people were acting like they normally do at Walmart. 😕

Similar vibe at HEB. Reduced mask wearing and people were not social distancing.  I can get curbside pickup slots now, so I will go back to doing that. 

The battle cry here is that the pandemic is a conspiracy blah blah blah tyrrany blah blah blah and Dr. Fauci is in on it. There conspiracy theory says anyone who got a flu shot in Italy was actually infected with cv-19, so avoid people who got flu shots because they are contaminated and will spread the virus.

I am really looking forward to when we move out of here. 

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

Guadalupe county here.

People here are done. I drove by Walmart because I am almost out of some supplies I need for my business. No one entering or exiting was wearing a mask. I saw one employee wearing one, rounding up carts. The parking lot was jammed and people were acting like they normally do at Walmart. 😕

Similar vibe at HEB. Reduced mask wearing and people were not social distancing.  I can get curbside pickup slots now, so I will go back to doing that. 

The battle cry here is that the pandemic is a conspiracy blah blah blah tyrrany blah blah blah and Dr. Fauci is in on it. There conspiracy theory says anyone who got a flu shot in Italy was actually infected with cv-19, so avoid people who got flu shots because they are contaminated and will spread the virus.

I am really looking forward to when we move out of here. 

What the what.

I wish I was kidding. The conspiracy theory is being promoted by our local homeschool group. Literally ALL of my friends are nodding along and saying this makes sense and is true.  There is no way I can let kiddo hang out with these families again. This is beyond crazy.I feel like everyone I know just joined a cult.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I wish I was kidding. The conspiracy theory is being promoted by our local homeschool group. Literally ALL of my friends are nodding along and saying this makes sense and is true.  There is no way I can let kiddo hang out with these families again. This is beyond crazy.I feel like everyone I know just joined a cult.

The only person I personally know who thinks it is overblown is my sister who lives in Houston.  But my circle is not really reflective of this general area.....so probably a lot here are the same way as what you are describing.