Menu

Sleep help for teenager who is too tired for school

Hello Everyone,

It has been way too long since I signed into WTM. I am working still during this Covid-19 craziness. I hope everyone is healthy and has been okay since I have been away. Originally, I was just going to come on here to say hello, but I thought of running a question by everyone while I was here.

My 14 year old dd is having the worst time sleeping. This has never been a problem before. It doesn't matter when she goes to bed, whether she has watched tv or been on a computer, if she ate anything before bed or not. Nothing seems to change her sleeping. She wakes up a few times a night. She can't seem to stay asleep. Sometimes she has trouble even getting to sleep.

I've looked online, and it says teenagers can have problems sleeping at this age. I don't remember having that problem myself.

Anyone have any ideas to help her sleep better? 

Thank you!!

Christina

Have you tried melatonin? Sometimes my kids just need a few days in a row of melatonin to reset. I use the extended release, 1 mg pills but they get two. There is also a fast acting mouth spray. Definitely start with a low dose if you’ve never tried it before and extended release is important to prevent waking up. 

• Like 1

I'd suspect hormonal fluctuations. Totally normal. Natural Calm is a great product (magnesium). I take only about 1/4 tsp in a little bit of water many nights, which is only a fraction of the normal dose. It really promotes restful sleep! You may want to check with your doctor first if you have any concerns.

• Thanks 1

Exercise, weighted blankets, AC, noise machine.

I would establish a no screen hour before bed and regular bedtime until the problem is fixed.

Sometimes I will use Zzzquil for 2 or 3 days to establish a routine, which others tell me is wrong,  but it gets me back into my routine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Any possibility it's anxiety? When did it start? If it's just in the last two months, I'd be thinking anxiety. 

We have gone over that and she said she is not anxious or worried about anything. 

It has been happening sporadically for awhile but seems to be happening more regularly lately.

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

Have you tried melatonin? Sometimes my kids just need a few days in a row of melatonin to reset. I use the extended release, 1 mg pills but they get two. There is also a fast acting mouth spray. Definitely start with a low dose if you’ve never tried it before and extended release is important to prevent waking up. 

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I also recommend the extended release melatonin. 

This would make sense because I have read online that melatonin is released later in teens which causes them to feel the need to stay up. 

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

If her activity level has decreased (as many people's has), getting out for a jog early in the day may help.

Great idea! Actually her activity has increased more in the past two months than previously.

We go out for a 3 to 4.5 mile walk every other day at least. She loves that!

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

Exercise, weighted blankets, AC, noise machine.

I would establish a no screen hour before bed and regular bedtime until the problem is fixed.

Sometimes I will use Zzzquil for 2 or 3 days to establish a routine, which others tell me is wrong,  but it gets me back into my routine.

Exercise..check

Ac...check

Fan(noise)...check

No screen time...check

Regular bedtime...check

Those are what I already stick to pretty firmly.

weighted blanket....i just had a friend tell me about these the other day. I will have to look into them.

48 minutes ago, Based on Faith Academy said:

Exercise..check

Ac...check

Fan(noise)...check

No screen time...check

Regular bedtime...check

Those are what I already stick to pretty firmly.

weighted blanket....i just had a friend tell me about these the other day. I will have to look into them.

I bought one for my sensory seeking (constantly talking!) 9 year old. The least expensive options are at Wal-Mart.

• Thanks 1