Menu

Our shelter in place just got extended through May 30 and people are DONE

sassenach

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

One solution for cooling centers and fire season evacuation could be to repurpose sporting arenas and convention centers to temporarily accommodate the people who need such services and to run city wide shuttles to pick them up. Along the lines of this: 

Is Santa Clara Convention center still used for surge standby and the fairgrounds used for housing the homeless? 

San Jose Convention Center is unused I think and high school gyms/multipurpose halls are unused. Levi's Stadium and Earthquakes Stadium (Avaya stadium) would be too hot for cooling centers but SAP Center at San Jose (San Jose Arena, SJ Sharks) should work. The Tech Museum has a big exhibition hall for seasonal exhibits that is empty when not in used.

42 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Maybe, but our county doesn't have any of that. They could likely do something at the college but would have to add air conditioning. 

How about Senior Center Community halls, your county's high school gyms, church halls? those could be repurposed. I am just brainstorming and I am merely an armchair analyst ...

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Is Santa Clara Convention center still used for surge standby and the fairgrounds used for housing the homeless? 

San Jose Convention Center is unused I think and high school gyms/multipurpose halls are unused. Levi's Stadium and Earthquakes Stadium (Avaya stadium) would be too hot for cooling centers but SAP Center at San Jose (San Jose Arena, SJ Sharks) should work. The Tech Museum has a big exhibition hall for seasonal exhibits that is empty when not in used.

They could also use the huge high school gyms near downtown area (Independence High School comes to mind as I have been to international tournaments with thousands of people there).

8 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

How about Senior Center Community halls, your county's high school gyms, church halls? those could be repurposed. I am just brainstorming and I am merely an armchair analyst ...

The senior center is quite small but if senior centers, teen centers and community centers are allowed to be reopened as cooling centers, that would help.

53 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Maybe, but our county doesn't have any of that. They could likely do something at the college but would have to add air conditioning. 

Does your county's  community college and colleges have aircon cafeteria/dining halls and lecture halls? Summer term is confirmed to be online so those facilities could be used as cooling centers.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/cooling-center.html

"COVID-19 and Cooling Centers

Interim guidance to reduce the risk of introducing and transmitting SARS COV-2 (the agent responsible for causing COVID-19 disease) in cooling centers.

Who this guidance is for: Federal, state, local, and tribal jurisdictions in the United States considering opening or operating cooling centers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Considerations and Potential Intervention Strategies

Utility Assistance

Consider implementing or expanding programs that provide utility assistance, such as the low-income home energy assistance program (LIHEAP) or similar methods that provide financial assistance for home air conditioner use. A temporary ban on utility shut-offs during heat waves would allow people to continue using home air conditioning. This strategy could lower the number of people utilizing cooling centers.

Staff and Volunteers

Plan for staff and volunteer absences. Develop flexible attendance and sick-leave policies. Staff (and volunteers) may need to stay home when they are sick, caring for a sick household member, or caring for their children during school dismissals. Identify critical job functions and positions, and plan for alternative coverage by cross-training cooling center staff.

Screening and Alternative Sites for Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Individuals

If resources are available, consider implementing verbal screening or temperature checks before admitting visitors to the cooling center. If possible, provide alternative cooling sites for those showing symptoms of COVID-19 (i.e., fever, cough, shortness of breath). This may be separate rooms within cooling centers or a space that can be used to accommodate visitors with symptoms and separate them from others. Designate an alternate site, or a separate room and bathroom (if available) for visitors with mild illness who remain at the cooling center. Be prepared to contact emergency officials (call 911) in the case of severe illness requiring medical assistance.

Physical Distancing

Maintain social (physical) distancing within cooling centers, ideally at least six feet between individuals. Consider separation of furniture and creating spaces for individual family units (families who live together do not need to maintain physical distancing in a cooling center). In larger cooling center facilities, it may be possible to provide adequate space for social distancing among visitors. Smaller cooling centers can limit the number of visitors, in accordance with local guidelines that limit the size of gatherings. This could lower capacity, so consider setting up a greater number of smaller cooling centers. If a lack of potential cooling center sites arises, emergency alternatives such as using parked air-conditioned buses can be utilized. Communities may also partner with closed businesses, such as movie theaters, as alternative cooling sites.

Air Filtration

It may not be possible to locate cooling centers in buildings with high ventilation capacity similar to healthcare facilities. If possible cooling centers should be equipped with air exchange systems, and be located in buildings with tall ceilings. Utilize the highest efficiency filters that are compatible with the cooling center’s existing HVAC system, and adopt “clean-to-dirty” directional airflows. If resources allow, ceiling fans with upward airflow rotation combined with upper-air ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) disinfection systems can be utilized. When conditions allow (low humidity), shaded outdoor spaces with cross-draft airflow augmented by evaporative coolers may provide a safer alternative.

Cleaning

Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cleaning and disinfection guidelines for community facilities, and cleaning facilities if someone is sick. Because even individuals with no symptoms can still transmit the virus, and the virus can survive for several days on non-porous surfaces, it is important to continue routine cleaning and disinfection (every day if possible) with a focus on high touch surfaces, including those in common areas and bathrooms.

Communication

Enhance communication about COVID-19 onsite. Use health messages and materials developed by credible public health sources, such as your local and state public health departments or CDC. Read more about everyday preventive actions. Share or post COVID-19 posters and CDC Fact Sheets and keep your visitors informed about public health recommendations to prevent disease spread. Messaging may include:

• Posting signs at entrances and in strategic places providing instruction on hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene, cough etiquette, and cloth face coverings.
  • Providing educational materials about COVID-19 for non-English speakers, as needed.
  • Encouraging ill staff and volunteers to stay home (or be sent home if they develop symptoms while at the facility), to prevent transmitting the infection to others.

Identify and address potential language, cultural, and disability barriers associated with communicating COVID-19 information to workers, volunteers, and those visiting cooling centers. Learn more about reaching people of diverse languages and cultures.

Prevention Supplies

If available, provide COVID-19 prevention supplies onsite at cooling centers. Have supplies on hand for staff, volunteers, and visitors, such as soap, alcohol-based hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol, tissues, and trash baskets. Visitors and staff should wear a cloth face covering, or if supplies are available, be given a clean disposable facemaskpdf icon, even if they are not showing any symptoms. Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance. Place posters that encourage hand hygiene to help stop the spread at the entrance to the facility, at sinks in restrooms, and in other areas where they are likely to be seen. If water bottles are distributed at the cooling center, ensure visitors to not share bottles or glasses."

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

The senior center is quite small but if senior centers, teen centers and community centers are allowed to be reopened as cooling centers, that would help.

Does your county's  community college and colleges have aircon cafeteria/dining halls and lecture halls? Summer term is confirmed to be online so those facilities could be used as cooling centers.  

I thought I'd read that recirculated air and air conditioning could aerosolize the virus and make it more communicable.  Putting the most vulnerable all together in a room with recirculated air seems not the best idea??

Here's an article about it... https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/2020/04/25/new-cdc-study-suggests-air-conditioning-at-restaurants-can-spread-covid-19/#389dddee1f39

• Like 7

There was a lot of grumbling out here on the east bay...from the start everyone is being pushed to support local business by ordering takeout and shopping from local businesses first. The last week or so I noticed more comolaints about what people are missing out on. Earlier this week, one mom in our hs group was posting on her FB about constitutional rights, a couple of posts on a local FB group about empty hospitals and lots of complaining about a possible delay to the start of the school year.

But now, people are flipping their lids at the announcement that u-pick season will begin as normal. Lots of protesting about outsiders coming in, lack of bathrooms/washing facilities, crowding at local parks, etc. Suddenly supporting local business/opening up is a terrible idea.

Our family already decided we won't be going to any u-picks (not even their pre-picked stands since they get fruit from the same area as the u-pick area), just based on how often we see people eating while picking (you're not supposed to but it happens all the time and no one ever really enforces it, or not that we've seen in the dozens of years we've been going) and the crowds they draw. I honestly don't see how they could run u-pick season as usual. Some of the parking lots get jam packed and there aren't handwashing stations...are they going to make everyone use hand sanitizer on entry? Limit entrance? Follow people to make sure they don't sample? 

Anyway, was a bit like whiplash to get on after checking out for a couple days to see the tide so suddenly changed.

23 minutes ago, LoveMyBeautifulGift said:

But now, people are flipping their lids at the announcement that u-pick season will begin as normal. Lots of protesting about outsiders coming in, lack of bathrooms/washing facilities, crowding at local parks, etc. Suddenly supporting local business/opening up is a terrible idea.

I don't think my family would go for something like this https://www.mikesupick.com/ 

image.png.ee8444873de7f8ab4152ca365cf354f8.png

We might go for this (as in the farm stand with the U pick closed) http://www.swantonberryfarm.com/upick

"Davenport, CA 95017

Farm Stand COVID-19 Update

Hi All - We are still open for TO GO! We have our farm made bakery treats (Strawberry Shortcake, Berry Cobblers, Pies, Scones, Chocolate Dipped Berries, Truffles, and more), Vegan Soups, Fresh Strawberries and Artichokes. Please wear a mask and wash your hands before you enter! We have a hand washing station right by the door. Remember to respect the 6+ feet rule. Please be patient and ask our staff if you need any assistance.

Organic Strawberry U-PIck

Due to COVID-19 we will not open our U-Pick Locations until our public health officials tell us it is safe! Thanks for you understanding."

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I don't think my family would go for something like this https://www.mikesupick.com/ 

image.png.ee8444873de7f8ab4152ca365cf354f8.png

We might go for this (as in the farm stand with the U pick closed) http://www.swantonberryfarm.com/upick

"Davenport, CA 95017

Farm Stand COVID-19 Update

Hi All - We are still open for TO GO! We have our farm made bakery treats (Strawberry Shortcake, Berry Cobblers, Pies, Scones, Chocolate Dipped Berries, Truffles, and more), Vegan Soups, Fresh Strawberries and Artichokes. Please wear a mask and wash your hands before you enter! We have a hand washing station right by the door. Remember to respect the 6+ feet rule. Please be patient and ask our staff if you need any assistance.

Organic Strawberry U-PIck

Due to COVID-19 we will not open our U-Pick Locations until our public health officials tell us it is safe! Thanks for you understanding."

Yes-we will absolutely go to the stands that are open but aren't doing u-pick. I'm hoping these will be a good alternative to the farmers market (which I only tried once since they opened this year bc there was zero social distancing happening).

23 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I drop an online accounting class by the drop date because the online textbook is crap which is why I didn’t buy the soft copy, and libraries and bookstores are shut which means I can’t borrow or buy books to supplement the class. I’ll wait for libraries and bookstores to reopen, get the books I think would be helpful, and then sign up for the same class. 

My kids needed sea shells for a lab. I bought mussels from the supermarket for the shells.

That's homeschool mom ingenuity. I was able to buy some things for labs online as they were considered essentials since they were food items. 

Not having library has been a BIG adjustment. One of the first things I bought online was a book that we had been rechecking from the library, and had just turned in, planning to recheck within the week. But in not having free access to pick up every book I hear about in my day to day life and just requesting it online and picking up, we've actually had time to read from the giant basket of library books that we have checked out (some since February, because they just had everyone keep what they had at shutdown,) to the bottom of the basket- you know the ones that usually get rechecked thirty times until I finally realize we read enough books on *insert whatever topic or season or holiday I had reserved it for* and that I can finally take it back. 

We just read a book I checked out for LO for Valentine's Day that has had her in tears of laughter this week, and that has inspired her to read from it on her own. So we are enjoying what we already have more instead of getting more and more. 

• Like 3

Modoc County 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/30/coronavirus-modoc-county-ease-stay-home-order/

“ALTURAS (AP) — Sparsely populated Modoc County in California’s northeast corner plans to allow the reopening of its schools, hair salons, churches, restaurants and the county’s only movie theater Friday, becoming the first county in the state to ease out of stay-at-home orders and flout the governor’s mandate.

Ned Coe, a cattle rancher and county supervisor, said Thursday that the county across the border from Oregon has no confirmed COVID-19 cases. After consulting with health officials, the Board of Supervisors voted to re-open Friday, he said.

“Just as our physical health is vital for our citizens, so is the mental health and the economic health of our citizens,” Coe said.

The plan asks business owners in the county of about 9,000 people that spans 4,200 square miles to make sure customers remain 6 feet apart. It asks restaurants to cut their capacity by half and requires residents who are 65 or older or have underlying health conditions to continue to stay home.

Coe said county officials sent a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom about a week ago outlining their plan, which he said meets the guidelines outlined by the governor for stay-home orders to be eased out in phases, but they haven’t received a response. He said he was not worried the state might take legal action against the county for violating his order, which does not yet allow such businesses to reopen.

Most parts of the county are so sparsely populated that people already keep their distance from each other, Coe said. He said the hairstylist he frequents has only one chair at her salon and works alone.

“Social distancing was the norm here before it became the popular thing in the state,” Coe said.

The plan will be revisited after two weeks, and the stricter measures could be reinstated if at least two people test positive for the coronavirus, according to the new guidelines.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It’s about 30 degrees Fahrenheit cooler at the beach (Pacific Ocean side) than inland. We happily make the drive during summer especially when inland is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

ETA:

Half Moon Bay’s weather https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/half-moon-bay/california/united-states/usca0459

The NorCal beaches are pretty cold most of the summer.  The fog comes in overhead, and the water never warms up all year, and you have to wear a sweat shirt if the breezes come in off the water.  It is never ever humid.  Actually, it tends to be kind of uncomfortably chilly and windy.  The nice, warm time to visit is Sept/Oct.

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The NorCal beaches are pretty cold most of the summer.  The fog comes in overhead, and the water never warms up all year, and you have to wear a sweat shirt if the breezes come in off the water.  It is never ever humid.  Actually, it tends to be kind of uncomfortably chilly and windy.  The nice, warm time to visit is Sept/Oct.

I can never get into the 40 degree pacific water in mid july and I used to feel sorry for the kids who were in the water in peak summer. As you say, Sep is pretty tolerable 🙂

42 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I can never get into the 40 degree pacific water in mid july and I used to feel sorry for the kids who were in the water in peak summer. As you say, Sep is pretty tolerable 🙂

NorCal beaches are not really about the water.  They're about the sand, and the view, and the wildlife.  The rocks.  The cliffs.  The weirdly distorted trees.  

Hollywood notwithstanding. 

Hollywood is SoCal.  Totally different.

As a kid growing up here, I did get in the water.  Not because it was inviting, but because it was endlessly fascinating.  The process was always one of progressive numbness.  You'd start by walking on the wet sand right near the edge.  A wave would splash your bare feet.  They would go numb rather quickly.  You'd move out a little further, and your ankles would, similarly, go numb.  And so on.  My personal limit was up to my armpits, but that was more about my concern about undertow than about real swimming pleasure.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Haha 3

Our governor just extended our state of emergency and the disaster declaration until May 28th after the the legislature failed to extend them.  The GOP is threatening a lawsuit.  Another lawsuit brought by businesses was settled yesterday, with the judge deciding in favor of the governor.  Our current stay at home order is until May 15th, although I could see that extending depending on numbers.  Who is "done" seems to be regional, economical, and sadly political.

Edited by melmichigan

1 hour ago, melmichigan said:

Our governor just extended our state of emergency and the disaster declaration until May 28th after the the legislature failed to extend them.  The GOP is threatening a lawsuit.  Another lawsuit brought by businesses was settled yesterday, with the judge deciding in favor of the governor.  Our current stay at home order is until May 15th, although I could see that extending depending on numbers.  Who is "done" seems to be regional, economical, and sadly political.

Our local news here is reporting armed protestors in Michigan.  The photo they had showed four people and one with a gun so hopefully they’re exaggerating!

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Our local news here is reporting armed protestors in Michigan.  The photo they had showed four people and one with a gun so hopefully they’re exaggerating!

There were AK47 rifles at the state Capitol during last week's protest ... so, it is not exaggeration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

NorCal beaches are not really about the water.  They're about the sand, and the view, and the wildlife.  The rocks.  The cliffs.  The weirdly distorted trees.  

The Mavericks 🙂 The waves at Ocean Beach are lovely too.

• Like 1

Solano County

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/north-bay/solano-county-business-owners-fighting-against-stay-at-home-order/2282514/

“Small businesses deemed nonessential are fighting back in Solano County by reopening despite the stay-at-home order.

Pawn shop owner Ryann Wilkes has been doing business in Vacaville for 35 years and he’s determined to keep going. 

He reopened Value Gold and Silver Exchange two weeks ago despite the county’s shelter-at-home order. 

“The chances of catching are very low in Northern California,” Wilkes said. “I don’t think we need to shut everything down because of that.”

He’s not alone. Hairendipity Salon opened Tuesday to regular customers by appointment only and Primo’s Barber Shop will open Friday.

There’s a growing sense of frustration among small business owners and more and more of them, deemed by the state as nonessential, are taking matters into their own hands.

“I do think it’s time for sure,” said boutique owner Ashley Gall.

She said it’s time to start reopening. She’s getting by with on-line orders but she says most of her fellow merchants are hurting.”

“The government in the beginning talked a very big talk about support that’s coming and none of us have seen any of it,” said Gall. 

Vacaville’s Mayor Ron Rowlett is also voicing concern. In a letter to the board of supervisors he said the extended shelter at home order is “devastating to the City of Vacaville’s economy” and urges the board to develop a “phased reopening plan”

14 hours ago, MEmama said:

Lanny, do you find that most people are compliant? Here in the US we have such a hard time; I always wonder what it’s actually like “on the ground” other places. I’ll admit I don’t know much about Colombian culture, but I assume it’s generally more communitarian than much of the US? 

I believe the majority of the people here are complying with the rules, because they are mandatory.  Complaining because of Cabin Fever but complying. However, there are exceptions to that, like I see in the news from the USA. And, very difficult for those who cannot work and have no income because of the Covid-19 restrictions.

I just googled for Colombia and Covid-19 deaths and it shows 278. This is a country of about 50 million people and I suspect that number is low due to not enough testing?

My impression is that in the USA, because the individual states set up their own restrictions (Stay in Place, businesses closed, etc.) and a few states didn't do that, the  restrictions there seem in most places to me to have not had the power of the state (worst case here would be years in prison and/or a fine but I don't think that will happen). People going from one state to another and some domestic airline flights operating there. Many people there seem to be complying and many other people seem to think the restrictions are suggested and not mandatory and not going to be enforced by the police there.

And people going to visit other people, state parks, beaches, etc.

So, here things are still pretty much shut down, although this week they began to open up some things. For example, Manufacturing and Construction workers allowed to go back to work, with restrictions for Separation, etc.

There are no airline flights here at this time. International or Domestic and my understanding is that intercity bus service is very sparse, if it exists at all.    I think the ban on International flights is set to expire on June 1st and have my fingers crossed they will not extend that again, however, I understand the risks of airline flights and that is how the first Covid-19 arrived in Colombia. A passenger on a flight from Spain and now we are officially at 278 deaths.

DD was scheduled to come here during the first half of May and that will not happen and I understand the risks of getting Covid-19 or some other virus in an airplane. It seems that there are a lot more cases of Covid-19 in the USA and my belief is that a lot of that comes from many people having a lack of fresh air, living in homes or apartments (or dorms) where there is central heating or central a/c. So, going to the beach or a state park seems good, with regard to getting some fresh air.

Those under 70 years of age, their Quarantine (Shelter in Place)  will end, I think, on 11 or 12 May. For those of us over 70, on June 1st. So, the Cabin Fever grows on everyone, wherever they might be.

The rules here, for example, one person from the household can go to the supermarket one day a week, depending on the last digit of their National Identity Card (Cedula) and whether that's in the morning or afternoon, seem more strict.

We have not had any shortages of food or toilet paper that I am aware of and we are very thankful for that.  In fact, we are eating much better, with regard to Lunches these days. My wife and/or my stepson are cooking things for Lunch, during the week that normally we might have on a Sunday.  I suspect that our spending in the supermarket when my stepson goes there once a week is much higher than normal at this time.  But, there is some saving in gasoline because the car only goes to the supermarket once a week and is otherwise parked in the garage. 🙂

Restaurants can prepare food for Take Out or Delivery to the customers home, but there is no in-restaurant dining at this time. Last Saturday was Take Out for Lunch, after they picked up the motorcycle from the shop.

No sporting events. Beaches are closed. No concerts. No crowds.

I hope I answered your question. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

I think more businesses are going to go that route knowing that Stage 2 seemingly only allows for curbside pickup. Our small businesses don't have any way for people to know what they have in stock, order, and do curbside pickup. 

Many local small businesses which were seasonal and could have shut down (e.g. private nurseries and garden centers) if they stayed closed in both April and May found legal loopholes to reopen in late April. Apparently, the DA's office will shut down non-essential businesses in my county, but if they change their business description to "mixed essential" business, then, the sheriff who enforces the order will not shut it down. What it came down to was businesses allocating 40% of their floor space to "hardware store" type merchandise: e.g. some cleaning supplies, some tools etc in a few bins. Then, the rest of the store was kept to its old layout and merchandise. This allowed them to reopen after a few weeks of status quo and many say that they still have a chance of survival if they are open all through May and June. Massive Community support, many change.org petitions, lawyers helping pro bono and motivated city officials poring through rulebooks helped save a few businesses in my area.

• Like 2

Orange County (CA) used to be a Republican stronghold, but is now purple and moving rapidly towards becoming another solidly blue CA county.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/09/why-orange-county-is-the-new-blue/

According to the tracking data I've seen (using cell phone movements), there were 40k people in Newport Beach last Saturday, so I don't think it is political retribution. There were plenty of calls for him to close the OC beaches by concerned locals who are, again, becoming more progressive in their political views (which we've already discussed corresponds to being more conservative re Covid/opening back up). And, don't forget, OC has a very large Asian demographic (particularly near Newport/Irvine), so it would not surprise me if that demographic is also more concerned about Covid, even if they otherwise hold conservative policy views. (Parenthetically, I used to be heavily involved in Republican politics in OC, so I am pretty familiar with that constituency.)

Re Florida vs CA beaches, as others have mentioned, the temp differences between the beaches and inland can sometimes be quite dramatic. I try to explain this to people when they move here, and they think that, since they are living just a few miles inland, they won't have to use their AC. Unless you are living right on the water, you will have to use your AC in So Cal. We live within 100 feet of the water, and it rarely breaks 90, but that is simply not the case just a few miles away from us. It is night and day difference. This was just a few days ago, which is why you see people flooding the beaches when it gets hot. Unlike Florida, our water stays very cold until about late August or early September, which is when our actual summer begins here. Until then, we get a dense marine layer for a lot of the summer. The hottest time of the year in So Cal is actually what we used to call Indian Summer (aka the fall most everywhere else), which is when our Santa Ana winds kick up (hot/very dry winds blowing from offshore, instead of cool winds blowing onshore from the water) and start our fires.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Someone asked a question about protests in other countries. UK

UK government faces legal challenge to lockdown from businessman

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/may/01/uk-government-faces-legal-challenge-coronavirus-lockdown-businessman-simon-dolan?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

And another

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-52489449

• Like 1

Vermont is easing up more on restrictions in the coming weeks: "Scott opened the door for those businesses to increase the number of people allowed to work together from five to 10, effective on May 4. And on May 11, “manufacturing, construction, and distribution operations may restart with as few employees as necessary to permit full operations while continuing to maintain health and safety,” the governor said in an addendum to his original executive order, issued in March."

If cases stay low, it sounds like next week there will be further loosening, this time also allowing more social contact and opening of golf courses. 

https://vtdigger.org/2020/05/01/gov-scott-to-allow-small-construction-manufacturing-firms-to-reopen-covid-19-cases-past-peak/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Vermont is easing up more on restrictions in the coming weeks: "Scott opened the door for those businesses to increase the number of people allowed to work together from five to 10, effective on May 4. And on May 11, “manufacturing, construction, and distribution operations may restart with as few employees as necessary to permit full operations while continuing to maintain health and safety,” the governor said in an addendum to his original executive order, issued in March."

If cases stay low, it sounds like next week there will be further loosening, this time also allowing more social contact and opening of golf courses. 

https://vtdigger.org/2020/05/01/gov-scott-to-allow-small-construction-manufacturing-firms-to-reopen-covid-19-cases-past-peak/

Meanwhile, very selfishly, I am wondering when VT restrictions will be loosened enough to start the Concept 2 rowing machine factory back up.  There's a waitlist!  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Arcadia You are a rock star for finding so much sanitizer on the shelves of a store during a pandemic 👍 I guess that the big chain stores are finally finding local solutions to help them replenish empty shelves. I am sending this picture to all my local friends who have been looking for it for many weeks 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mathnerd said:

@Arcadia . I am sending this picture to all my local friends who have been looking for it for many weeks 🙂

More expensive than buying at Safeway but good if your friends and your child's piano teacher need more than a bottle of 16oz.

https://raffdistillerie.com/

"Hand Sanitizer and Spirits for sale on site Sat & Sun 12-5

We will be selling World Health Organization approved Hand Sanitizer (as well as our spirits, and 750ml pre-mixed Gimlet, Daiquiri, and Monkey Gland) 

at the distillery Sat & Sun 12-5

Sizes:

8 oz ($7.50)

16oz ($14)

Gallon ($110)"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Meanwhile, very selfishly, I am wondering when VT restrictions will be loosened enough to start the Concept 2 rowing machine factory back up.  There's a waitlist!  

I bet they'll be part of the May 11th opening as long as cases don't start increasing. My son's tennis coach will be allowed to re-open the tennis academy (with a ton of precautions) in two weeks too if all goes well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I bet they'll be part of the May 11th opening as long as cases don't start increasing. My son's tennis coach will be allowed to re-open the tennis academy (with a ton of precautions) in two weeks too if all goes well. 

I'm glad you guys are doing so much better with this so far, numbers-wise, than we are in MA. We seem to have flattened things, but so far the numbers aren't going down yet. 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

More expensive than buying at Safeway but good if your friends and your child's piano teacher need more than a bottle of 16oz.

https://raffdistillerie.com/

"Hand Sanitizer and Spirits for sale on site Sat & Sun 12-5

We will be selling World Health Organization approved Hand Sanitizer (as well as our spirits, and 750ml pre-mixed Gimlet, Daiquiri, and Monkey Gland) 

at the distillery Sat & Sun 12-5

Sizes:

8 oz ($7.50)

16oz ($14)

Gallon ($110)"

Thank you!

@mathnerd

Looks like my kids may have their recreational tennis classes again in summer. The location they go to have 1:4 and 1:8 for recreational. I don’t mind paying a little more for 1:4 if that is the only way for lessons to resume. 

“Facilities Closure Notice UPDATE 4/29/20

We are excited to hear that communities will be able to enjoy playing tennis again in the very near future.

We expect to meet with with city officials very soon to discuss the necessary steps, adjustments and timeline involved in safely re-opening and delivering services and programs to the community. It is our aim to provide the safest environment possible and are working hard to implement measures recommended by our health officials and sport’s governing body.

We will update our communities with operating plans and a re-opening date as soon as we have them available. At this time, we are not taking court reservations for any of our facilities. We will begin doing so once our re-opening dates have been established.”

• Like 3

https://abc7news.com/business/big-changes-in-bay-area-spending-habits-during-shelter-in-place-research-shows/6144221/

“Coronavirus: Research shows big changes in Bay Area spending habits during COVID-19 shelter-in-place

... The minute we learned shelter-in-place orders were coming, our shopping habits changed dramatically. We saw grocery stores stripped bare of goods that aren't even part of earthquake preparedness kits.

"I don't think we realized that people would be buying up all the flour, all the pasta, all the toilet paper," noted Rachel Massaro at the Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies. "Those are things we hadn't thought of to put in our earthquake supplies."

In our region, grocery spending spiked 81% in mid-March compared to a year earlier. Retail briefly went up 33%. Hobbies and toys sales shot up 29%. Specialty food and beverage purchases spiked 63%.

As lines grew intolerable to get into stores, spending shifted to online shopping.

Amazon Fresh saw a spike of 400%. Food was clearly a priority. Traditional retailers and restaurants left with only take-out orders fell victim to that. Over the first four weeks of shelter-in-place, their sales fell about 32%. As unemployment rose, clothing store sales dropped about 50%.

... A Costco executive indicates outdoor furniture sales are on the rise with warmer weather and with families cooped up seeking fresh air and sunshine. Discount pricing may be partly responsible.

The shift in spending to online and how the sheltering orders influenced what we stocked up on are now fodder for business owners to digest as they look ahead. Hard decisions will have to be made about re-opening stores and how many furloughed employees to bring back.”

• Like 2

“Heath officials announced Friday they were launching a program that will require and provide COVID-19 testing for all residents and staff at the 21 skilled nursing facilities located within San Francisco.” https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/05/01/coronavirus-update-san-francisco-health-officials-order-covid-19-testing-for-all-skilled-care-facility-staffers-and-residents/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd

Looks like my kids may have their recreational tennis classes again in summer. The location they go to have 1:4 and 1:8 for recreational. I don’t mind paying a little more for 1:4 if that is the only way for lessons to resume. 

“Facilities Closure Notice UPDATE 4/29/20

We are excited to hear that communities will be able to enjoy playing tennis again in the very near future.

We expect to meet with with city officials very soon to discuss the necessary steps, adjustments and timeline involved in safely re-opening and delivering services and programs to the community. It is our aim to provide the safest environment possible and are working hard to implement measures recommended by our health officials and sport’s governing body.

We will update our communities with operating plans and a re-opening date as soon as we have them available. At this time, we are not taking court reservations for any of our facilities. We will begin doing so once our re-opening dates have been established.”

I am starting to get feelers from sports camps that my son has attended in the past asking if there is interest in "Social Distancing Summer Camps". Here are the specifications they say that the Office of Public Health has given to them for summer camps:

Social Distancing Camps:

• Maintaining small groups (currently no more than 12 children) 
  • No intermixing with any other groups by kids or coaches
  • High frequency hand washing and hand sanitizer availability
  • No sharing of equipment
  • Sanitizing equipment after each use
  • Coaches wearing masks (children at your discretion)
  • Increased outdoor programs
  • Temperature/symptom checks prior to entry
  • Heavy emphasis on maintaining social distance while at camp
  • Modified curriculum to provide fun, active and safe games
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Social Distancing Camps:

• Maintaining small groups (currently no more than 12 children) 
  • No intermixing with any other groups by kids or coaches
  • High frequency hand washing and hand sanitizer availability
  • No sharing of equipment
  • Sanitizing equipment after each use
  • Coaches wearing masks (children at your discretion)
  • Increased outdoor programs
  • Temperature/symptom checks prior to entry
  • Heavy emphasis on maintaining social distance while at camp
  • Modified curriculum to provide fun, active and safe games

The no sharing of equipment would be hard for tennis, basketball and any racquet/ball sports. Swimming, fencing, bowling, golf would be feasible.

• Like 1

@mathnerd find it weird that badminton and table tennis has to be singles since a family of four can play doubles, and badminton courts are fixed in size. Same for rowing/canoeing, double with a same household member should be allowed.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/#outdoor

NEW! Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?

It’s okay to go outside to go for a walk, to exercise, and participate in healthy activities as long as you maintain a safe physical distance of six feet and gather only with members of your household. Below is a non-exhaustive list of those outdoor recreational activities.

*Parks may be closed to help slow the spread of the virus. Check with local officials about park closures in your area.

• Athletics
  • Badminton (singles)
  • Throwing a baseball/softball
  • BMX biking
  • Canoeing (singles)
  • Crabbing
  • Cycling
  • Exploring Rock Pools
  • Gardening (not in groups)
  • Golf (singles, walking – no cart)
  • Hiking (trails/ paths allowing distancing)
  • Horse Riding (singles)
  • Jogging and running
  • Kite Boarding and Kitesurfing
  • Meditation
  • Outdoor Photography
  • Picnics (with your stay-home household members only)
  • Quad Biking
  • Rock Climbing
  • Roller Skating and Roller Blading
  • Rowing (singles)
  • Scootering (not in groups)
  • Skateboarding (not in groups)
  • Soft Martial Arts – Tai Chi, Chi Kung (not in groups)
  • Table Tennis (singles)
  • Throwing a football, kicking a soccer ball (not in groups)
  • Trail Running
  • Trampolining
  • Tree Climbing
  • Volleyball (singles)
  • Walk the dog
  • Wash the car
  • Watch the sunrise or sunset
  • Yoga”
  • Like 2

@mathnerd find it weird that badminton and table tennis has to be singles since a family of four can play doubles, and badminton courts are fixed in size. Same for rowing/canoeing, double with a same household member should be allowed.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/#outdoor

NEW! Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?

It’s okay to go outside to go for a walk, to exercise, and participate in healthy activities as long as you maintain a safe physical distance of six feet and gather only with members of your household. Below is a non-exhaustive list of those outdoor recreational activities.

*Parks may be closed to help slow the spread of the virus. Check with local officials about park closures in your area.

• Athletics
  • Badminton (singles)
  • Throwing a baseball/softball
  • BMX biking
  • Canoeing (singles)
  • Crabbing
  • Cycling
  • Exploring Rock Pools
  • Gardening (not in groups)
  • Golf (singles, walking – no cart)
  • Hiking (trails/ paths allowing distancing)
  • Horse Riding (singles)
  • Jogging and running
  • Kite Boarding and Kitesurfing
  • Meditation
  • Outdoor Photography
  • Picnics (with your stay-home household members only)
  • Quad Biking
  • Rock Climbing
  • Roller Skating and Roller Blading
  • Rowing (singles)
  • Scootering (not in groups)
  • Skateboarding (not in groups)
  • Soft Martial Arts – Tai Chi, Chi Kung (not in groups)
  • Table Tennis (singles)
  • Throwing a football, kicking a soccer ball (not in groups)
  • Trail Running
  • Trampolining
  • Tree Climbing
  • Volleyball (singles)
  • Walk the dog
  • Wash the car
  • Watch the sunrise or sunset
  • Yoga”

It seems as if more than one person in a family could play golf together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

It seems as if more than one person in a family could play golf together.

The “Golf (singles, walking – no cart)” makes me think that I would have to play a round of golf by myself, as in my spouse is not supposed to accompany me. 

ETA:

I do stay near a golf course and it’s easy to social distance on their driving range, as well as doing a round of golf.

Edited by Arcadia

The “Golf (singles, walking – no cart)” makes me think that I would have to play a round of golf by myself, as in my spouse is not supposed to accompany me. 

ETA:

I do stay near a golf course and it’s easy to social distance on their driving range, as well as doing a round of golf.

My guess is that they do not want anyone to gather a group of their buddies and congregate on a golf course for recreational golf. It is hard to enforce who is family and who isn't when they don't want people socializing with others outside their immediate families. Most people that I know of who play golf set up Tee Times with their friends and go together to play. That would take away the entire point of social distancing and they are being cautious when they specify this, I think. So, we all get the "right" to play golf if that is a sore point for golf enthusiasts, but, we will have to wait a few months to invite friends to play with us.

As for Sports Summer Camps, I think that sanitizing equipment between each use is iffy and hard to accomplish however hard they try and kids staying within a single group for the duration of the camp makes it boring, so, I think that myself and many others might skip enrollment for Summer Sports Camps. We currently do training sessions with my son's sports coaches through Zoom and will stick to that for a few more months.

• Like 1

ETA:

If I were playing golf with my spouse, he would stay much farther away from where I was swinging a club and may hit a ball than he would if we were playing table tennis or tossing a football 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

My guess is that they do not want anyone to gather a group of their buddies and congregate on a golf course for recreational golf. It is hard to enforce who is family and who isn't when they don't want people socializing with others outside their immediate families. Most people that I know of who play golf set up Tee Times with their friends and go together to play. That would take away the entire point of social distancing and they are being cautious when they specify this, I think. So, we all get the "right" to play golf if that is a sore point for golf enthusiasts, but, we will have to wait a few months to invite friends to play with us.

In Idaho golfing is allowed. I mean, I think it's a very distanceable sport and a good way to get vitamin d.

Sure it's hard to enforce friends being together on the golf course... it's hard to enforce that anywhere. Golf seems like one of the more ridiculous sports to limit.

ETA: the more I think about it you could even play with friends because everyone could easily stay 6ft from each other and even only touch their own equipment. And it would even be easy to put one employee on a cart to enforce that.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, EmseB said:

In Idaho golfing is allowed. I mean, I think it's a very distanceable sport and a good way to get vitamin d.

Sure it's hard to enforce friends being together on the golf course... it's hard to enforce that anywhere. Golf seems like one of the more ridiculous sports to limit.

My FIL is golfing. We shop for them, we don't want the grandparents going to the grocery store. Golf seems safer than the grocery store, and he is a big extrovert who was going crazy cooped up at home.  My son is tired of staying home (although not as tired of it as grandpa!) so he went golfing with grandpa and my husband. They had fun. He had previously had absolutely no desire to go golfing, but he's actually enjoying it and has gone twice now. My husband said it is set up pretty safely, they sanitize the balls and it is a no touch pay process.  

We had to have my son call and beg Grandpa to be able to shop for them, though. When just my husband talked to him, he was determined to go out. He has a risk factor and is in an age group that it might not be good if he got Covid-19. My mom loves shopping, too, my nephew was persuasive, though, she isn't shopping either, they mainly get delivery. They are now occasionally shopping at the elderly hours at a local store, though, my dad said there are 3 to 4 people in the store if you get there right when it opens. 

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

My state announced an official plan and guidelines yesterday, but still no dates, since it is based on metrics. Very rural parts of the state with very few or no cases may start some re-opening mid-month. Except for the loosening of medical stuff that started yesterday, it doesn’t appear anything else will change until at least June. People must still be generally ok with it, as only about 100 people showed up for an “open up” rally at the Capitol today. Polling last week showed strong, widespread support for the current restrictions.

• Like 4

@mathnerd Palo Alto 

https://mailchi.mp/f58f9814cd96/coronavirus-daily-report-may-5-2020
“Reopening Tennis and Pickleball Courts, and more on May 6 
The City is also reopening tennis courts, pickleball courts, basketball courts, the skate park, and athletic fields while ensuring public health and safety. Visitors must adhere to social distancing guidelines and only play with members of the same household. All courts and athletic fields will be open on Wednesday, May 6. Please help us ensure the safety of the community by following posted rules. If rules are not followed, the City will be forced to close these facilities.

Other Closures Continue 
Several City facility closures continue to be in effect including pools, dog parks, picnic tables and benches, barbecue areas, outdoor gym equipment, our golf course and playgrounds. Closures are in the interest of public health and safety and in response to the Santa Clara County Shelter in Place Order restrictions. Staff is in discussions with our golf course operator to reopen with modifications and as more details are known, we will share updates.”

• Like 1