Menu

Our shelter in place just got extended through May 30 and people are DONE

sassenach

@mathnerd@sassenach probably a direct consequence of the extension of SIP (3rd paragraph)

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/south-bay/san-jose-part-time-temp-workers-furloughed-during-covid-19-crisis/2281311/

“The city of San Jose on Tuesday announced major furloughs for unbenefited and temporary part-time employees, citing at least $45 million in general fund "revenue shortfalls" by the end of the year. 

"After a lot of thought and careful consideration, we've come to the decision that we're going to end administrative leave for part-time, unbenefited and temporary employees," Dave Sykes, the city manager, told the San Jose City Council via teleconference Tuesday evening. "This is, in essence, a furlough for the unbenefited and temporary employees, and that furlough will begin on May 4th. And certainly there's always the opportunity to assign those, or reassign those employees, should we need their support in terms of how our response continues." 

These employees were planned to have paid administrative leave until the May 3rd expiration of Santa Clara County's current shelter-in-place order.”

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Mainer said:

I saw a video where the Gov was saying schools might reopen early for the next school year, in July or August...?

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It’s a big “might”.  From his six factor plan.

“The ability for businesses, schools, and child care facilities to support physical distancing
Key Questions
 Have we worked with businesses to support physical distancing practices and introduced guidelines to provide health checks when employees or the general public enter the premises?
 Do we have supplies and equipment to keep the workforce and customers safe?”

Newsom was being a leader and instilling hope and optimism when he was saying all those things. We still don’t have specific dates for anything. When (nobody knows!) we pass Stage 1 which has several conditions to be met, we will move to Stage 2 where reopening schools early will be considered. 

The powerful teacher's unions in the crowded school districts in urban california are already saying that they are the ones who will make the final call on this. With declining budgets and highly overcrowded classrooms (many urban schools were already using temporary buildings and schooling in shifts in normal times), people have a hard time imagining reopening schools in 8 weeks' time 😞

Edited by mathnerd

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

This might not be the best place to ask, but can this be clarified? If the mask I wear catches droplets from me, why wouldn’t it filter out droplets from day, my boss, who refuses to wear one (despite the mandate that masks must be worn if social distancing isn’t possible, such as in my office)? Surely they don’t work like a one way filter?

For the record, I am totally pro mask. I’m not debating that they are important; I’m just having trouble wrapping my head around why they work (mostly?) just the one way.

Paper towels or the blue shop towels seem to be the best balance between breathability and filtering ability. 

5 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

The thing is, right now, long term non lethal effects are basically total unknowns.  There's a little bit of evidence of some damage here or there, dribs and drabs that come out, but just by virtue of the fact that this thing is so new, we simply can't know.  Therefore, I am not sure that a discussion that is based on what is really just a little better than a bunch of guesses should really have a large place when making decisions about how we get tens of millions of people back to work.  I don't think we really have the time to provide the kind of information that would be useful in that respect.  

ETA: This thread is about extending the order another month.  I don't think that we are going to enough useful information in another month, regarding those sorts of potential long term effects, to justify putting MORE people out of work, rather than getting started sending them back.  

It wouldn't take a ton of time to say, run labwork on people with mild cases, etc. 

58 minutes ago, Plum said:

I do appreciate Cuomo’s press conferences. I’ve learned through this journey that being plain spoken open and honest is the way to go. 
Our gov announced on GMA that he will be extending the order. Ok then. I guess we’ll hear tomorrow for how long. 

We got cases by zip in our county. My zip is low on case count. We are not in a concentrated part of the city. My state is difficult. Clark County makes up 75% of the population and cases. There are multiple counties that have zero cases and zero deaths. Unfortunately they have to be lumped in with the rest of us. One county is dragging the whole state down, but our mayor can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

We have them by zip code, but I don't consider that really a valid metric, at least here. My zipcode is low, but the drive up testing center is a 30 minute drive, if you have a car. I'd bet few to none of the people living in poverty in my area are trekking over there to get tested. Not surprisingly, the zip code with the highest cases in the county is the one with the testing center in it. Duh. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Plum said:

I was wondering if it correlates to hospitals. 

Ours doesn't because our zipcode has only 1 hospital and is one of the hardest hit zipcodes in the local region.  (not per capita. when you break them out per capita we fall in line. We also happen to have more #s in our zipcode than many)

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

re announced extension based on number of DAYS, vs announced extension based on hitting defined public health metrics

I feel for our leaders. In addition to being thrust into overnight roles as public health managers, they also need, as part of that role, to become public psychologists.

And the psychology of how to frame a plan for re-entry is hard.  For me personally, I'd much rather hear "The Plan" being rooted in statements like "once CT has 14 consecutive days of declining new case numbers we'll enter Phase One of reopening... we'll stay in Phase One so long as new cases remain under _____/week... if new cases spike above that we'll go back to current conditions, but if new cases remain below ____/ week we'll move on to Phase Two of reopening....."

A series of if/then steps, conditioned on public health metrics in response to the effects of the virus, for me, gives confidence.

For me personally, a "Plan" based solely on # of days would suggest my leaders were following, not leading.  

Which definitely happens, and which is maybe OK in ordinary days; and is definitely Not OK in times like this. It's like a general making tactical decisions based on polling focus groups back home rather looking at intelligence on the ground.

This is kinda what my state is doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mathnerd said:

The powerful teacher's unions in the crowded school districts in urban california are already saying that they are the ones who will make the final call on this. With declining budgets and highly overcrowded classrooms (many urban schools were already using temporary buildings and schooling in shifts in normal times), people have a hard time imagining reopening schools in 8 weeks' time 😞

The hope and optimism can backfire as fake. However many in my area come from countries where “hope and optimism” is just a political tool 😞 That’s why people want the data (though imperfect) to run their own analysis.

Besides issues with the teachers union, I am also wondering about parent volunteers since my local public schools rely heavily on parent volunteers for lower elementary. It is easier to require a TB test for parent volunteers but it would be hard to administer a test for COVID19.  Temperature scans aren’t foolproof and are more of a stop gap measure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The hope and optimism can backfire as fake. However many in my area come from countries where “hope and optimism” is just a political tool 😞 That’s why people want the data (though imperfect) to run their own analysis.

Besides issues with the teachers union, I am also wondering about parent volunteers since my local public schools rely heavily on parent volunteers for lower elementary. It is easier to require a TB test for parent volunteers but it would be hard to administer a test for COVID19.  Temperature scans aren’t foolproof and are more of a stop gap measure.

I agree. Many schools local to me have lawsuit-happy parents and PTA's and they are known to have sued the schools for minor issues: I cannot imagine what the consequences of a child catching COVID19 from a staff or other child at school will be. I also cannot imagine a teacher getting a temperature scan and given an all-clear to mingle with students, some of whom might have serious underlying conditions, since temperature measure is not a sure indicator of the disease. I am told that teachers will have to wear masks and gloves as a mandatory measure: perhaps they think that teacher touching something infected with a glove and then retouching another surface with the same glove is sanitary??? I am sitting here trying not to poke too many holes in the reasoning behind yesterday's announcement by Newsom because I believe that the state needed to hear something optimistic at this moment and he was trying to deliver it - much like Queen Elizabeth saying "we will meet again" even though many will be dead the next time she addresses them and hence will never "meet again". These times are similar to times of War and we need optimism from somewhere!

Edited by mathnerd

@mathnerd

The new shelter in place order. https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/order-health-officer-050420.aspx

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/bay-area-health-officer-indicator.aspx

“Bay Area Health Officers’ Indicators for Assessing Progress on Containing COVID-19

Indicator 1: The Total Number of Cases in the Community is Flat or Decreasing, and the Number of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 is Flat or Decreasing 

• The number of new cases identified per day is flat or decreasing in the coming weeks and months.
    • We know that as we increase testing, our numbers may temporarily go up. Increased testing will provide a more accurate picture of how many cases exist in our community. We will be closely monitoring and analyzing this information week by week.

indicator1A.jpg
  • The number of hospitalized patients with COVID-19, across all hospitals, is flat or decreasing for 14 consecutive days.

indicator1B.jpg

Indicator 2: We Have Sufficient Hospital Capacity to Meet the Needs of our Residents 

• For at least a week (7-day rolling average), no more than 50% of patients in staffable non-surge hospital beds are COVID-19 positive.

indicator2.jpg

Indicator 3: Sufficient COVID-19 Viral Detection Tests Are Being Conducted Each Day

• At least 200 COVID-19 viral detection (PCR) tests are being conducted per 100,000 residents per day.
    • This does not include antibody testing at this time, because the science regarding interpretation and validation of antibody testing is still in flux. 
    • We are focused on tests performed, rather than testing capacity, to ensure we are achieving the level of testing necessary.
    • Our goal is to ensure everyone in the State’s priority groups in our County is being tested at appropriate intervals.

indicator3.jpg 

Indicator 4: We Have Sufficient Case Investigation, Contact Tracing, and Isolation/Quarantine Capacity

To break chains of transmission, we must rapidly develop the capacity necessary to identify and isolate persons with COVID-19 and those who have been exposed to COVID-19. In communities throughout the Bay Area and around the country, we must do this at an unprecedented scale and speed, many times beyond what public health departments across the country are resourced to do currently. This will require a massive and rapid infusion of resources, including disease investigators, information management tools, and the combination of housing, food, and income-replacement needed to allow infected and exposed community members to isolate themselves from others. This infrastructure must be designed to accomplish the following:

• We reach at least 90% of cases and identify their contacts;
  • We ensure 90% of the cases that we reach can safely isolate;
  • We reach at least 90% of all contacts identified; and
  • We ensure at least 90% of identified contacts can safely quarantine. 

Indicator 5: We Have At Least A 30-Day Supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Available for All Healthcare Providers

• All acute care hospitals, outpatient clinics, skilled nursing facilities, and medical first responders (Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and fire agencies) have a 30-day supply of PPE on hand. We will measure this as follows:
    • Every acute care hospital in the County has certified in writing to the Health Officer that it has access to a 30-day supply of PPE and can independently procure adequate PPE to meet its needs going forward.
    • No hospital, clinic, skilled nursing facility, other long-term care facility, or first responder agency is struggling to purchase PPE through standard channels, and none have needed to submit a request for assistance in obtaining PPE to the County Emergency Operations Center in the last 14 days.”
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Given the amount of time it has taken to get ANY testing of ANY kind done with this thing, I don't agree with this statement.  

That was because were were working to develop a novel test for a new disease. I'm talking about cardiac enzymes and kidney values. Your local veterinarian can run those (although one would have to figure out the norms, lol). 

But seriously, that's an easy thing to do as far as tech goes. It is a matter of doing it. Would be great if those furloughed nurses could go out and check on these patients and get lab samples, but again, PPE issues. 

3 hours ago, OKBud said:

I'm sorry because I am several pages behind this thread at this point, but it's important that we all take a minute to acknowledge that this is a delightfully whimsical salon name! 

Why are so many hair salon's names puns? I've always wondered that!

• Haha 2

I have not read all 8 pages! But I get being done, and I am ok with SIP longer at the same time. I am in a state that is open already, and in a city that opens in two days, and I CANNOT wait to shop in person at the craft store. It is my weakness, walking the aisles, looking at fun stuff. I will be there when they open, lol, with my mask. 

But we have been fine at home with the kids. We have visited with neighbors out in the streets or yards or taken walks together. My sister has dropped stuff off for us and talked only in the driveway. But as far as activities closing early and only doing things online on zoom- I have to admit, I am loving it. I spend so much time in the car driving everyone everywhere most of the time that I dinner is always a stress and a rush. I volunteer at so many things and volunteer teach places that I need to create lessons for and study for and shop for and collect supplies for that I often feel like I don't get to do all of the fun stuff in our homeschool that I would like to do, that I did when my bigs were little. So I have LOVED having time to cook and not stress, having the dishes done at a decent hour, getting my garden in on time and bigger than usual, and getting to do projects with my little one without it feeling stressed and rushed. I love that she has had so much time to just be a kid in the backyard playing and imagining. 

I am blessed in that my senior got a vehicle very recently, so she will at least be able to drive herself to her summer job (if it is still happening. We don't have word on it yet!) But she goes to college in the fall, and I haven't started driver's ed with my almost junior yet, so I will be back to doing all of the driving next year! So a slightly longer than usual summer break hasn't been too bad for us at all. We changed a little of what we were doing for school and had time to work on stuff without feeling rushed. 

But I was at Walgreen's today and just thinking, it is warm and sunny and feels like summer is almost here. I am just ready for this to be done and to go to whatever stores I want. I wasn't stressed going into Walgreen's anymore like in the beginning. It just feels like it is time to be out in the world a bit more now. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I have not read all 8 pages! But I get being done, and I am ok with SIP longer at the same time. I am in a state that is open already, and in a city that opens in two days, and I CANNOT wait to shop in person at the craft store. It is my weakness, walking the aisles, looking at fun stuff. I will be there when they open, lol, with my mask. 

I drop an online accounting class by the drop date because the online textbook is crap which is why I didn’t buy the soft copy, and libraries and bookstores are shut which means I can’t borrow or buy books to supplement the class. I’ll wait for libraries and bookstores to reopen, get the books I think would be helpful, and then sign up for the same class. 

My kids needed sea shells for a lab. I bought mussels from the supermarket for the shells.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

California governor’s plan is depressing to people who think it’s going to be a pie in the sky to achieve. After reading his six factors plan, people are estimating that it would be a miracle if local public schools could reopen in August.  No one I know was expecting retail (car dealers, malls) to open back before Memorial Day. Now people are just seeing if retail is open back gradually by Independence Day.

It's the combo of vague and unrealistic that's hard to swallow. It feels like he's trying to play the political hero and meanwhile businesses are shuttering and our food bank is turning people away. 

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My medical care team are hearing more people thinking of divorcing.

My husband (a pastor) is doing SO MUCH zoom marriage counseling right now. It's not just the issue of being together, it's also the lack of community. People are starting to feel hopeless and they're looking for the release valve.

• Sad 6

7 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

agree

I can’t answer for your people but according to our health lady but Typically you want r0 at or close to 1 for two reproduction cycles (4 weeks).  I don’t know why your people aren’t giving clear information but possibly because they know that hearing you aren’t anywhere near the point will mean people give up?  I don’t know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's the combo of vague and unrealistic that's hard to swallow. It feels like he's trying to play the political hero and meanwhile businesses are shuttering and our food bank is turning people away. 

My husband (a pastor) is doing SO MUCH zoom marriage counseling right now. It's not just the issue of being together, it's also the lack of community. People are starting to feel hopeless and they're looking for the release valve.

If we use the hammer and dance analogy, I think the hammer phase is longer than some people's tolerance level. Even my introverts miss the librarians and Safeway staff, VTA ticket inspectors and bus drivers. My DS15 was so much happier after going to our nearby Safeway which is a short walk away and he is an introvert. I am an extrovert but my March to June is lined with medical appointments and getting my prescriptions from the pharmacy so I have a certain amount of human interactions.

I think it would have been harder if both my husband and I are working from home. The last time I had to work from home, my husband was doing his PhD program. It is easier for us to cope when only one of us works from home. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

If we use the hammer and dance analogy, I think the hammer phase is longer than some people's tolerance level. Even my introverts miss the librarians and Safeway staff, VTA ticket inspectors and bus drivers. My DS15 was so much happier after going to our nearby Safeway which is a short walk away and he is an introvert. I am an extrovert but my March to June is lined with medical appointments and getting my prescriptions from the pharmacy so I have a certain amount of human interactions.

I think it would have been harder if both my husband and I are working from home. The last time I had to work from home, my husband was doing his PhD program. It is easier for us to cope when only one of us works from home. 

Yes

my frustration levels have been much higher when dh has been home.  Mostly he is working which keeps us both sane.  He’s and extrovert and I’m and introvert and when he only has me to extrovert on it can be challenging.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

Not picking on you, but just jumping off your post.

This is a problem. 

'It feels like it's time' isn't a good enough reason to BE out in the world.

Everyone needs to be aware of what a second wave could look like, and even when they can go back to their workplace and schools, continue to practice a level of social distancing. 

I think it is a problem.  Even here where I fully embrace the need for social distancing and being careful now we are seeing a drop off in cases I’m relaxing my guard a bit.  I mean the grocery shopping came and I carried it through to the kitchen instead of sanitising in the hallway first.  I’m opening mail in the house.  It’s hard to stay vigilant forever.  

its kind of like fire season.  By the end of it no one feels like leaving home when they say to leave and you start telling yourself it’s not that bad.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

He’s and extrovert and I’m and introvert and when he only has me to extrovert on it can be challenging.  

Mine is a borderline introvert like our kids. We have been getting on each others nerves since college days (1993) 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

its kind of like fire season.  By the end of it no one feels like leaving home when they say to leave and you start telling yourself it’s not that bad.

I understand the mental/emotional numbness about fire season. Australia firefighters help California for fire season. I don't know what is going to happen this year if California has a bad fire season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd

The new shelter in place order. https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/order-health-officer-050420.aspx

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/bay-area-health-officer-indicator.aspx

“Bay Area Health Officers’ Indicators for Assessing Progress on Containing COVID-19

Indicator 1: The Total Number of Cases in the Community is Flat or Decreasing, and the Number of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 is Flat or Decreasing 

• The number of new cases identified per day is flat or decreasing in the coming weeks and months.
    • We know that as we increase testing, our numbers may temporarily go up. Increased testing will provide a more accurate picture of how many cases exist in our community. We will be closely monitoring and analyzing this information week by week.

indicator1A.jpg
  • The number of hospitalized patients with COVID-19, across all hospitals, is flat or decreasing for 14 consecutive days.

indicator1B.jpg

Indicator 2: We Have Sufficient Hospital Capacity to Meet the Needs of our Residents 

• For at least a week (7-day rolling average), no more than 50% of patients in staffable non-surge hospital beds are COVID-19 positive.

indicator2.jpg

Indicator 3: Sufficient COVID-19 Viral Detection Tests Are Being Conducted Each Day

• At least 200 COVID-19 viral detection (PCR) tests are being conducted per 100,000 residents per day.
    • This does not include antibody testing at this time, because the science regarding interpretation and validation of antibody testing is still in flux. 
    • We are focused on tests performed, rather than testing capacity, to ensure we are achieving the level of testing necessary.
    • Our goal is to ensure everyone in the State’s priority groups in our County is being tested at appropriate intervals.

indicator3.jpg 

Indicator 4: We Have Sufficient Case Investigation, Contact Tracing, and Isolation/Quarantine Capacity

To break chains of transmission, we must rapidly develop the capacity necessary to identify and isolate persons with COVID-19 and those who have been exposed to COVID-19. In communities throughout the Bay Area and around the country, we must do this at an unprecedented scale and speed, many times beyond what public health departments across the country are resourced to do currently. This will require a massive and rapid infusion of resources, including disease investigators, information management tools, and the combination of housing, food, and income-replacement needed to allow infected and exposed community members to isolate themselves from others. This infrastructure must be designed to accomplish the following:

• We reach at least 90% of cases and identify their contacts;
  • We ensure 90% of the cases that we reach can safely isolate;
  • We reach at least 90% of all contacts identified; and
  • We ensure at least 90% of identified contacts can safely quarantine. 

Indicator 5: We Have At Least A 30-Day Supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Available for All Healthcare Providers

• All acute care hospitals, outpatient clinics, skilled nursing facilities, and medical first responders (Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and fire agencies) have a 30-day supply of PPE on hand. We will measure this as follows:
    • Every acute care hospital in the County has certified in writing to the Health Officer that it has access to a 30-day supply of PPE and can independently procure adequate PPE to meet its needs going forward.
    • No hospital, clinic, skilled nursing facility, other long-term care facility, or first responder agency is struggling to purchase PPE through standard channels, and none have needed to submit a request for assistance in obtaining PPE to the County Emergency Operations Center in the last 14 days.”

Indicator 2 might not be reliable if other non Covid patients aren’t seeking treatment due to fear of getting the virus. It would seem more logical to look at the percentage of available beds used for COVID than the percentage of patients 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

I understand the mental/emotional numbness about fire season. Australia firefighters help California for fire season. I don't know what is going to happen this year if California has a bad fire season.

I really hope you guys don’t!  The world needs some kind of a break this year.  Evacuation and social distancing really don’t work together.

china seem to be having forest fires right now.  I’m not sure how common that is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Indicator 2 might not be reliable if other non Covid patients aren’t seeking treatment due to fear of getting the virus. It would seem more logical to look at the percentage of available beds used for COVID than the percentage of patients 

This is the screenshot of the hospital dashboard today. It shows non COVID patients as well. ETA: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard.aspx

29 April hospital data.jpg

Edited by Arcadia

@mathnerd@sassenach@SeaConquest@kdsuomi

https://abc7news.com/health/newsom-to-order-all-ca-beaches-closed-after-seeing-socal-crowds/6139115/
“SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Concerned after seeing thousands of people on Orange County beaches this weekend, Gov. Gavin Newsom is ordering the closure of all beaches in California, as well as all state parks, our sister station KABC has learned.

The order will be effective May 1.

A memo by the California Police Chiefs Association obtained by Eyewitness News outlines the decision, saying it was triggered "After the well-publicized media coverage of overcrowded beaches this past weekend."”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posting here because the other threads are too long: excess food produced that was being wasted because restaurants and schools are not utilizing them will now be sent to local food banks. Finally, they managed to route the surplus to the needy people.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/gov-gavin-newsom-announces-initiative-to-connect-excess-produce-to-food-banks/2281606/

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a state and federal initiative Wednesday to connect farmers and ranchers with excess produce to food banks around the state. 

According to Newsom, food banks have seen a 73 percent increase in demand since the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic began, while farmers and ranchers have seen demand for their crops and other food fall by half. State officials hope to extend the program through the end of the year, providing roughly 21 million pounds of food to local food banks every month.

• Like 7

On 4/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, Ktgrok said:

And this disease isn't just about deaths anyway. People seem to not be factoring in the weeks in hospital for many, the potential long term damage to lungs, heart, and kidneys, etc. We have doctors who are worried that patients who survive may end up needing transplants later, and our medical system can't handle that kind of increase. So they might live now, but die of heart failure later, or live with seriously compromised heart or lung function, etc. 

I do think about that.  My mom had polio as a teen, and although she has led most of her life normally after recovery, when she hit her 50s-60s she started having "episodes" where her throat would seize up, similar feeling to when she had polio. She's been to the hospital a few times for that. The drs suspect PPS (post polio syndrome), but it's not something that showed up until much later... and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I assume some of the changes our bodies go through as we age trigger unexpected things. 

• Like 1

https://abc7news.com/santa-cruz-shelter-in-place-extended-stay-at-home-orders-new-rules/6140154/
“SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Cruz County announced an indefinite extension of its shelter-in-place order amid the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic.

The county's shelter-in-place order was previously set to expire on May 3. With the extension came a relaxing of some restrictions. The following activities will now be allowed:

Landscaping gardening, tree trimming, environmental site remediation as long as social distancing requirements are met

Hospitals can do elective surgeries 

Medical and dental offices can reopen for some preventative care

Construction can resume under new safety protocols

Real estate transactions can resume

Residential moves in and out of county can resume

Wholesale and retail nurseries for gardening and landscaping can reopen

Agricultural work can resume

Golf courses and driving ranges can reopen

Fabric and craft stores can reopen to supply the creation of masks, gowns and other protective equipment

Educational and recreational activities for children (including summer camps) can begin with stable groups of 12 or fewer and one stable teacher

The new guidelines are expected to go into effect Friday, May 1 at 11:59 p.m., but that may change pending any major announcements from Gov. Gavin Newsom. The county is planning to release the full text of the new order Thursday afternoon.

On the subject of whether beaches would reopen or not, Santa Cruz County Health Officer Dr. Gail Newel said the county was waiting for Newsom's anticipated order to close all beaches statewide.

While the shelter-in-place order in Santa Cruz County has been extended without any end date, Dr. Newel said officials would continue to evaluate the situation and make changes approximately every three weeks.

"Any shorter time for modifications doesn't make sense because we wouldn't be able to see and assess the impact any changes have made," said Dr. Newel, referring to the virus' incubation period.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kand said:

I agree this and many other things are challenges. Do you have a suggestion of what you think should be done about it? 

Just wondering what are the state government plans for that since opening of cooling centers for heatwave and evacuation centers for wildfires are an annual issue. Nothing unexpected. 

Maybe think about paying empty big hotels for the use of their banquet rooms as cooling centers. Or give rebate to households for use of aircon for the summer months. My utility company gave a rebate for March to help offset the cost of home based learning. While kind, that rebate would not be enough to pay for residential aircon use and it is a one time rebate. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Wow, he only closed beaches in one county, and it feels political to me. That county has said those pictures misrepresented what was going on, and I would believe them (and people I know who live down there and agree) over the governor.

This is definitely going to create more distrust. 

I am trying to understand what is political about closing beaches. Is it a republican dominated area?

46 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Honestly, I think they shouldn't close beaches for one. Everywhere else that people go to cool down is already closed and not opening anytime soon. (Officials and residents in the areas Newsom is talking about said the beaches were not overcowded. The media took pictures in a way that made it look more crowded than it was. So, this issue is being blown out of proportion.) Where I live, seniors go to the beach to cool down because we live on the beach. 

I don't have a solution for cooling centers, but I hope they're thinking about it. 

One solution for cooling centers and fire season evacuation could be to repurpose sporting arenas and convention centers to temporarily accommodate the people who need such services and to run city wide shuttles to pick them up. Along the lines of this: 

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-los-angeles-convention-center-covid19-national-guard-la/6062969/

and

https://www.nba.com/kings/news/sacramento-kings-announce-natomas-arena-serve-surge-hospital-and-250000-donation-support-area

Every city has a sports team which has unused facilities and every major hotel has convention rooms (there are several in the greater San Jose area) and every public high school has a gym. They should transform them into cooling centers and evacuation centers. I am told that they already did something similar in Napa Valley in the past. But, what they should plan on are measures to prevent the spread of CV19 if people are in need of those facilities.

• Like 1

As a Floridian I'm trying to grasp the idea of going to the beach to cool down, lol. I'm guessing they must be much cooler there? Here, the direct sun plus the sand reflecting it, the humid air...beaches are HOT. And a frail senior who can't take heat well is unlikely to be able to swim a ton, and the water here of course is much warmer, if water is the point? Maybe we need splash pads for seniors? (only sort of joking, some countries have created playgrounds for seniors, so why not?)

• Like 7

Just now, Ktgrok said:

As a Floridian I'm trying to grasp the idea of going to the beach to cool down, lol. I'm guessing they must be much cooler there? Here, the direct sun plus the sand reflecting it, the humid air...beaches are HOT. And a frail senior who can't take heat well is unlikely to be able to swim a ton, and the water here of course is much warmer, if water is the point? Maybe we need splash pads for seniors? (only sort of joking, some countries have created playgrounds for seniors, so why not?)

When I lived in California we were at the beach almost every week.

When I lived in Florida we rarely went (even though we lived 15 minutes away). 

Florida is just too hot but California was almost always pleasant.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

As a Floridian I'm trying to grasp the idea of going to the beach to cool down, lol. I'm guessing they must be much cooler there? 

It’s about 30 degrees Fahrenheit cooler at the beach (Pacific Ocean side) than inland. We happily make the drive during summer especially when inland is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

ETA:

Half Moon Bay’s weather https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/half-moon-bay/california/united-states/usca0459

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It’s about 30 degrees Fahrenheit cooler at the beach (Pacific Ocean side) than inland. We happily make the drive during summer especially when inland is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

oh wow! Yeah, we get a breeze most of the time on the beach, but it is not that much of a difference, I guess because the water isn't as cold so doesn't cool thing off as much?

Just checked - it is currently 80 degrees at my house, in the center of the state, and 79 degrees at Cocoa Beach. So yeah, no real difference, other than a breeze. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

oh wow! Yeah, we get a breeze most of the time on the beach, but it is not that much of a difference, I guess because the water isn't as cold so doesn't cool thing off as much?

FL is humid, isn't it? So, the air is saturated with water, and no additional water can evaporate. The evaporation cools down the air because it takes energy for the phase change.

• Like 3

Just now, regentrude said:

FL is humid, isn't it? So, the air is saturated with water, and no additional water can evaporate. The evaporation cools down the air because it takes energy for the phase change.

Yes, very humid. That makes sense. So the ocean water evaporating cools things down there, but here the air is already saturated, so nope. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Also the Pacific Ocean is around 50 degrees in summer, at least where I grew up in Northern California. In the valley where I lived it could be sunshine and 90, but in the 50s and deeply foggy 20 minutes away on the ocean. I miss the summer fog.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 5

Santa Clara County

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/santa-clara-county-homes-fail-covid-19-inspections/2281791/

“Three Santa Clara county nursing homes failed recent federal inspections conducted in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, with inspectors faulting the facilities for failing to adhere to standards related to  hand washing and personal protective equipment and patient monitoring, documents obtained by NBC Bay Area’s Investigative Unit show. 

Almaden Health and Rehab Center and Empress Care Center, both in San Jose, and Camden Postacute Care in Campbell were faulted by federal inspectors in reports issued earlier this month.

At Almaden, inspectors could find “no evidence of process surveillance to ensure staff were being monitored’’ as to hand washing. 

The Investigative Unit

Inspectors noted that the designated infection prevention officer at Empress Care “confirmed she had not been monitoring staff” for compliance with federal regulations designed to prevent outbreaks – including hand washing, use of masks and gowns and monitoring for Covid-19 symptoms.  

The staff of  Camden Postacute, meanwhile,  “failed to ensure all staff were trained on the proper use of PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) and failed to monitor the effectiveness of infection prevention, specifically the surveillance of hand hygiene,” the inspection report found. 

The three homes did not respond to requests for comment on the findings issued the first week of this month. 
So far, the three homes have not shown up of the state’s accounting of Covid-19 stricken nursing homes. Currently, about one out of five homes on average have been hit.

Dr. Michael Wasserman, present of the California Association of Long-Term Care Medicine, said one way to do that is make the currently part-time infection prevention officers at the state’s nursing homes be full time during the epidemic. The nursing home industry is already short-staffed and scrambling, he said.

“This is a case where we have to tell them what to do in my opinion,” Wasserman said. “The infection preventionists in the nursing homes need to be literally the generals, they need to go around the building” and watch everything going on. “If you see a doctor, not washing his or her hands -- you call him out on it. “ 

Wasserman says that simply emphasizing handwashing, along with and proper use of masks and gloves, will go a long way. “If everyone does that really well, I have actually very little doubt that we can have an impact on this virus.” 

But so far, he says, he hasn’t heard back from the governor’s office on the proposal he floated in March  that the state order infection prevention officers to work full time at all 1,200 of the state’s nursing homes.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet - WA is now extending the SIP past May 4th - with no end date.

Well, there is usually not much sun until August in the Seattle area anyway, so maybe by the time you all get let out there well be sun and vitamin D to be had!

To respond to the title of this thread. I am over 70 and everyone in that group is strictly confined to their homes, until May 31st or June 1st.  Younger people, I believe their quarantine was scheduled to end approximately 27 April, but was then extended through May 11th.

However, Colombia has relaxed a few of the restrictions, including allowing, I believe, Manufacturing and Construction workers to return to work. I also read something about being able to exercise for one hour a day, depending on what regulations the city one lives in might have about that. There are regulations about Separation, etc., applying to those who can return to work.

In general, I believe the rules here are much more strict than those in most places in the USA. I believe for quarantine violations, if someone was really horrible, they could throw the book at them and put them in prison for 4 to 8 years and fine them?  However, I believe that probably won't happen.  There was a young man a few miles from us who apparently violated the quarantine repeatedly and the police did eventually take him in, but I suspect they were doing that reluctantly, because of his  belligerence, after pleading with him for him to go home and stay there.

Airline flights in Colombia are still prohibited.  I believe International flights may resume on June 1st, but that's iffy IMO and may be extended.  Domestic flights are also still prohibited.   I heard an airplane nearby awhile ago and got my phone which has the Flight Aware App and it was a COPA flight (excellent airline based in Panama) overflying, from Panama City to somewhere in South America. So, Panama is permitting International flights, which many countries including Colombia have prohibited.

Restaurants are closed but one can call on the phone and go to pick up (our Lunch was obtained that way, last Saturday) or have them deliver to the house.

One person from our house can go to the supermarket, one day a week to shop, depending on the last digit of their "Cedula" (National identity card). That determines the day and whether in the morning or afternoon.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lanny said:

To respond to the title of this thread. I am over 70 and everyone in that group is strictly confined to their homes, until May 31st or June 1st.  Younger people, I believe their quarantine was scheduled to end approximately 27 April, but was then extended through May 11th.

However, Colombia has relaxed a few of the restrictions, including allowing, I believe, Manufacturing and Construction workers to return to work. I also read something about being able to exercise for one hour a day, depending on what regulations the city one lives in might have about that. There are regulations about Separation, etc., applying to those who can return to work.

In general, I believe the rules here are much more strict than those in most places in the USA. I believe for quarantine violations, if someone was really horrible, they could throw the book at them and put them in prison for 4 to 8 years and fine them?  However, I believe that probably won't happen.  There was a young man a few miles from us who apparently violated the quarantine repeatedly and the police did eventually take him in, but I suspect they were doing that reluctantly, because of his  belligerence, after pleading with him for him to go home and stay there.

Airline flights in Colombia are still prohibited.  I believe International flights may resume on June 1st, but that's iffy IMO and may be extended.  Domestic flights are also still prohibited.   I heard an airplane nearby awhile ago and got my phone which has the Flight Aware App and it was a COPA flight (excellent airline based in Panama) overflying, from Panama City to somewhere in South America. So, Panama is permitting International flights, which many countries including Colombia have prohibited.

Restaurants are closed but one can call on the phone and go to pick up (our Lunch was obtained that way, last Saturday) or have them deliver to the house.

One person from our house can go to the supermarket, one day a week to shop, depending on the last digit of their "Cedula" (National identity card). That determines the day and whether in the morning or afternoon.

Lanny, do you find that most people are compliant? Here in the US we have such a hard time; I always wonder what it’s actually like “on the ground” other places. I’ll admit I don’t know much about Colombian culture, but I assume it’s generally more communitarian than much of the US? 

• Like 1